OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

All the discussion about 'OLED lifespan' and 'halflife'

’Organic' is quite clear. All modern TV's dim over time, thats a natural feature of LEDs.

Why would a manufacturer advise you about an inherent flaw of the technology? Its common sense? Why would a car manufacturer advise you the car you buy from new will degrade over time, as you use it? Its common sense.
Cars dont degrade as such their parts wear and can be replaced or maintained over time. OLED TVs use organic material made of hydrocarbon chains to emit light....all of which is irrelevant to the consumer who wants a TV to have a good picture which will last for 10 years plus watching what they like including sky banners and static logos.
If the manufacturer cannot provide this basic requirement they have failed..as for TV's diming I have a 20yr old samsung which is used daily and is as good as new.
I really hope we don't have some LG people posting on here!!

Cars dont degrade as such their parts wear and can be replaced or maintained over time. OLED TVs use organic material made of hydrocarbon chains to emit light....all of which is irrelevant to the consumer who wants a TV to have a good picture which will last for 10 years plus watching what they like including sky banners and static logos.
If the manufacturer cannot provide this basic requirement they have failed..as for TV's diming I have a 20yr old samsung which is used daily and is as good as new.
I really hope we don't have some LG people posting on here!!
TVs, like most, if not all consumer electronics aren't made to last 10 years plus. They will likely surpass this, but the consumer doesn't demand that anymore.

An oled will have a 'good picture' for a good number of years, the organic emitters degrading over time is quite literally a fact of life with the technology - that isn't the problem of a manufacturer if it doesn't affect the majority of users..... Which it doesn't.

Your 20 year Old TV is a backlit LED is it?

Are you making an allegation there?

TVs, like most, if not all consumer electronics aren't made to last 10 years plus. They will likely surpass this, but the consumer doesn't demand that anymore.

An oled will have a 'good picture' for a good number of years, the organic emitters degrading over time is quite literally a fact of life with the technology - that isn't the problem of a manufacturer if it doesn't affect the majority of users..... Which it doesn't.

Are you ma

Are you making an allegation there?
An allegation is a claim that someone has done something illegal or wrong....this is a forum about TV's for heavens sake!!

Last edited:
I would strongly disagree with this. This is the first time I have ever seen anyone state OLED is expected to degrade over time and have certainly never seen any manufacturer make this statement.
Can you please provide a link to such a statement.
All display tech degrades over time. The problem is that certain factors can cause OLED pixels to degrade in, quite frankly, a disgracefully short period of time. I would say that most people who frequent these fora or who just take an active interest in tech would be fully aware of the downsides of OLED lifespan. The average consumer on the other hand would not have a scooby.

Sorry for jumping in at the end here, but I thought this might be of interest:
OLED Burn in

Sorry for jumping in at the end here, but I thought this might be of interest:
OLED Burn in
Yeah I read lots of stuff like this before I bought one and never worried about it until it actually happened after 4 yrs. I never paused it or left it switched on unattended or played games.
If watching Sky News moderately isn't normal viewing...fair enough because that's what damaged mine.

If watching Sky News moderately isn't normal viewing...fair enough because that's what damaged mine.
I could have told you that watching Sky News was damaging...

:D

I have been there many times, sometimes its butting heads against a wall which is what staff are trained to do, its almost the default response to save time, money.

But the UK law overrides retailers own TnCs or policies.

Its known as SAD FARTS

Rather then banging heads, its a long shot but id still try 2 emails.

1st: Ask them to escalate this email to management or head office, and notify them they are not following UK LAW (Consumer Rights act), since they have not sold goods of a satisfactory quality and it was not fit for its intended purpose breaking down in just 3 years, since you want a repair or refund.

If it doesn't work, pay a solicitor to do the same email as above, if they see you are going the legal route, they may as a long shot say you are legally right and just do the repair/replacement.

Remember you have the law on your side, satisfactory quality and reasonable amount of time, all judges should know a TV that cost say 1K+ should last 5 years fault free, its almost a crime if it does not at this point, so its a long shot but imo worth an email and solicitor email attempt.
Ok so a quick update. Sent the CEO emails to LG and AO. LG have offered a panel replacement for £200 but can't book it in for a few weeks due to the service centre moving location, they have however said they will call me to get it booked in as soon as they can. AO have offered to contribute to the repair but haven't stated as of yet how much.

AO have said if the unit is broken beyond repair and LG confirm this that they will offer a depreciated refund on just under half what I paid. Third option is they have offered me a discount on a new TV but again as of yet haven't stated how much that would be.

I'll not be buying a new TV from them again though, for my next one it'll either be from Richer Sounds or Costco.

If the price of the 65C1 comes down a bit more I'll likely buy it and hope I'm not in the same situation in another 3 years.

Attachments

• 20210929_195946.jpg
    20210929_195946.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 132
Ok so a quick update. Sent the CEO emails to LG and AO. LG have offered a panel replacement for £200 but can't book it in for a few weeks due to the service centre moving location, they have however said they will call me to get it booked in as soon as they can. AO have offered to contribute to the repair but haven't stated as of yet how much.

AO have said if the unit is broken beyond repair and LG confirm this that they will offer a depreciated refund on just under half what I paid. Third option is they have offered me a discount on a new TV but again as of yet haven't stated how much that would be.

I'll not be buying a new TV from them again though, for my next one it'll either be from Richer Sounds or Costco.

If the price of the 65C1 comes down a bit more I'll likely buy it and hope I'm not in the same situation in another 3 years.
Fair play for following it through. Too many people on here let the retailers off the hook way too easily.

Do you think the refund amount is fair? I'd assume they're going to pay the full £200 for the repair as is their obligation - this would probably be my preferred choice as you won't be out of pocket, get a few more years out of the TV (hopefully) and then never have to deal with them again.

I'll not be buying a new TV from them again though
Based on your experiences and of others, I think I'd now prefer to buy from a physical shop, albeit online so at least I can go and speak to an actual person. If I buy a £2k OLED I think I'll go with John Lewis and pay their £140 protection policy, even though I don't agree it should be needed.

Well done for getting somewhere at least, it does sound like they are taking baby steps here, so probably want to see if the panel can be replaced, its the first quickest and cheapest step.

Its good they offered part payment towards screen replacement, but sure really they should be covering it, I have read Rs and other retailers doing similar though with part payment like £100 towards it etc, not ideal but not bad either imo, especially if you can get another good 3-4 years run out of it.

Its hard to tell till Lg go through that process, but I believe it was the curved OLED screens from 2016-2017 that was hard for LG to source or replace, the flat OLED screens more easier so just an guesstimate I think they might be able to replace yours.

Yeah can fully understand it not going back to AO if they treated like that, but obviously if the discount is a lot more then say 50% refund, it may be worth a think at least, otherwise id be hard pressed to take the 50% refund and go to JL and get the protect plus plan, so fully covered for burn in and anything else for 5 years.

Considering we are still hearing of 2018 OLED owners with ABL & ASBL tech, still getting burn in, im left wondering if LG really have fixed burn in, if I purchase an OLED again it will be JL with protect plus plan.

But where has any manufacture ever publicly said this?

That's the good thing about science....you can strongly disagree all you like but the facts are the facts ...and the organic nature of this technology means it degrades over time. It's not difficult to find this information. As for manufacturer's advertising this....😂...good one, as if they'll ever point you in that direction.

Last edited:
Well done for getting somewhere at least, it does sound like they are taking baby steps here, so probably want to see if the panel can be replaced, its the first quickest and cheapest step.

Its good they offered part payment towards screen replacement, but sure really they should be covering it, I have read Rs and other retailers doing similar though with part payment like £100 towards it etc, not ideal but not bad either imo, especially if you can get another good 3-4 years run out of it.

Its hard to tell till Lg go through that process, but I believe it was the curved OLED screens from 2016-2017 that was hard for LG to source or replace, the flat OLED screens more easier so just an guesstimate I think they might be able to replace yours.

Yeah can fully understand it not going back to AO if they treated like that, but obviously if the discount is a lot more then say 50% refund, it may be worth a think at least, otherwise id be hard pressed to take the 50% refund and go to JL and get the protect plus plan, so fully covered for burn in and anything else for 5 years.

Considering we are still hearing of 2018 OLED owners with ABL & ASBL tech, still getting burn in, im left wondering if LG really have fixed burn in, if I purchase an OLED again it will be JL with protect plus plan.

I very much doubt there will ever be a solution and LG actually have this paragraph about their oled televisions on their website right now.

"So, in short: Reasonable, responsible usage of an OLED TV, combined with powerful image preservation abilities should result in a seamless home entertainment experience."

I very much doubt there will ever be a solution and LG actually have this paragraph about their oled televisions on their website right now.

"So, in short: Reasonable, responsible usage of an OLED TV, combined with powerful image preservation abilities should result in a seamless home entertainment experience."
So I guess watching Boris do his daily Covid briefings on Sky last year wasn't reasonable or responsible.....well at least I had a reminder of the latest Breaking News whilst watching the football

Need to travel to the future to 2024/5 and see if we still have OLED burn in post on here :facepalm:

LG updated today saying they expect to get me booked in for the £200 panel repair at the end of next week and will call to confirm.

AO laughingly offered me £30 off a new TV so told them to ram it. In regards to the repair they've offered to meet me halfway and will contribute £100 with the other £100 paid by me. That's the route I'm going to go.

I'm now facing a dilemma where I want a bigger TV, and as soon as the 65LGC1 drops to circa £1600 I'll buy it but I don't know what to do with the repaired B7. Too big to eBay and I don't fancy the Gumtree mob coming into my house to look at it.

Will likely put it in the bedroom and incur the wrath of the wife.

Third world problems 😂. Will update again when the repair has been completed.

LG updated today saying they expect to get me booked in for the £200 panel repair at the end of next week and will call to confirm.

AO laughingly offered me £30 off a new TV so told them to ram it. In regards to the repair they've offered to meet me halfway and will contribute £100 with the other £100 paid by me. That's the route I'm going to go.

I'm now facing a dilemma where I want a bigger TV, and as soon as the 65LGC1 drops to circa £1600 I'll buy it but I don't know what to do with the repaired B7. Too big to eBay and I don't fancy the Gumtree mob coming into my house to look at it.

Will likely put it in the bedroom and incur the wrath of the wife.

Third world problems 😂. Will update again when the repair has been completed.
Don't blame you £100 for repair to 3yr old TV is a result really, you are a braver man than me to buy another one through.....wouldn't buy a toaster off AO after reading this.

Don't blame you £100 for repair to 3yr old TV is a result really, you are a braver man than me to buy another one through.....wouldn't buy a toaster of AO after reading this.
No chance am I buying the new TV from AO. Richer Sounds, Costco or John Lewis. Whichever one lowers the price first. RS preferably. They had the 65C1 for £1709 a few weeks ago with discount codes but it's back at full price now.

No chance am I buying the new TV from AO. Richer Sounds, Costco or John Lewis. Whichever one lowers the price first. RS preferably. They had the 65C1 for £1709 a few weeks ago with discount codes but it's back at full price now.

£100 doable, think of it this way its hopefully going to last 3-5 years more, and hopefully these newer OLED panels are more up to date and more burn in resistant.

I too have Rs, somewhere on the top list, Costco with there 90 day return and excellent customer services is also top, probably above Rs.

But I think I will stick with John lewis and still stick with the protect plus burn in cover for £140, purely for peace of mind. Bit of a U turn, since I use to say around here burn in should be a myth and impossible in this day and time really, but we are hearing of 2018 owners still getting it. There is no evidence to support LG has really fixed it not till 2024/2025 at least :eek:

You motivated me to make an account to save you buying from john lewis. They are a horrible company to deal with. Bought an 65cx back in january; horrible vertical banding, 7 dead pixels, a large circular splodge on the bottom right in blue scenes and severe pink tint on the left in white scenes and yellow on the right. I called them after a week and you know how they responded? By saying they cant do anything because this is all natural for oleds. I explain I didnt know these things were natural, where on the product page does it say this? Guy laughs and says they cant do anything.

I call customer service instead this time, and a lady picks up. She says customer service cant do anything despite me being in my 30 day window. So she transfers me to technical. The guy now asks for proof. I send them all the proof and guess what? Same thing the first dude said....

So I end up having to write some long ass lengthy email to hq citing all sorts of consumer rights laws, and finally get my refund processed. Why do I have to go to these lengths? She offered me an exchange but to hell with that. I also got the burn in cover and thought to myself, if they didnt care about satisfying me now while im still in my return window, theyll try and screw me over down the line.

Never again.

edit* Id like to add that they recently purchased thousands of fake positive reviews on trustpilot within the last few months. Im 100% sure their rating was lower. No way it organically went up. Filthy tactics. Just look at their most recent 5 star reviews haha. Typical bot reviews. GREAT SERVICE! AWESOME DELIVERY! Joke of a company

Last edited:
You motivated me to make an account to save you buying from john lewis. They are a horrible company to deal with. Bought an 65cx back in january; horrible vertical banding, 7 dead pixels, a large circular splodge on the bottom right in blue scenes and severe pink tint on the left in white scenes and yellow on the right. I called them after a week and you know how they responded? By saying they cant do anything because this is all natural for oleds. I explain I didnt know these things were natural, where on the product page does it say this? Guy laughs and says they cant do anything.

I call customer service instead this time, and a lady picks up. She says customer service cant do anything despite me being in my 30 day window. So she transfers me to technical. The guy now asks for proof. I send them all the proof and guess what? Same thing the first dude said....

So I end up having to write some long ass lengthy email to hq citing all sorts of consumer rights laws, and finally get my refund processed. Why do I have to go to these lengths? She offered me an exchange but to hell with that. I also got the burn in cover and thought to myself, if they didnt care about satisfying me now while im still in my return window, theyll try and screw me over down the line.

Never again.

edit* Id like to add that they recently purchased thousands of fake positive reviews on trustpilot within the last few months. Im 100% sure their rating was lower. No way it organically went up. Filthy tactics. Just look at their most recent 5 star reviews haha. Typical bot reviews. GREAT SERVICE! AWESOME DELIVERY! Joke of a company

It seems to be much harder to return OLEDs for uniformity issues/faults. Even Richersounds who i and most others consider outstanding for returns, hide behind "within spec" it seems.
That alone without even considering the burn in fear has put me off buying an OLED.
If I were to buy an OLED though I think Costco would be the safest option.

Last edited:
I am quite surprised that John Lewis over burn in protection. Surely the vast majority of people that have the £140 burn in protection cover will find that their TV's suffer from burn in at some point in the second half of the fifth year of cover?

I am quite surprised that John Lewis over burn in protection. Surely the vast majority of people that have the £140 burn in protection cover will find that their TV's suffer from burn in at some point in the second half of the fifth year of cover?

LG have apparently addressed the issue, with better software techniques, tweaks, manufacture process improvements. Its been enough for 99% other retailers to believe and simply not sell burn in cover, JL however at least give the customer the option which imo still makes them no1 in my books.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom