OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

If you are referring to OLED's and burn in then consumer rights becomes a very grey area as the the manufacturers all clearly state that Burn in is due to owner negligence so that's why people end up having to fight to get a repair or replacement.
Manufacturers can say what they like, they have zero involvement in a consumer contract of sale. I would argue there is very little grey area, as we're seeing quite a lot of lately, anybody who is pushing for their entitlements is getting redress before even starting the SCC process. Retailers know full well they're playing silly buggers in the hope that consumers will blindly believe this irrelevant warranty guff and disappear.

Bottom line, a £1000+ item that breaks itself performing its sole purpose inside 5 years is not reasonably durable. The only grey area is the amount of redress the consumer will be awarded.

Manufacturers can say what they like, they have zero involvement in a consumer contract of sale. I would argue there is very little grey area, as we're seeing quite a lot of lately, anybody who is pushing for their entitlements is getting redress before even starting the SCC process. Retailers know full well they're playing silly buggers in the hope that consumers will blindly believe this irrelevant warranty guff and disappear.

Bottom line, a £1000+ item that breaks itself performing its sole purpose inside 5 years is not reasonably durable. The only grey area is the amount of redress the consumer will be awarded.

It's not broken though. OLED is an organic tech so burn in is possible due to use and that's why it's not covered by the manufacturer. What confuses me is why some get repaired or replaced and others do not.

It's not broken though. OLED is an organic tech so burn in is possible due to use and that's why it's not covered by the manufacturer. What confuses me is why some get repaired or replaced and others do not.
Forget about the manufacturer and their warranty, it is completely separate to your consumer rights (UK & Ireland specific). Their warranty can say you can only watch for 4 mins every second Tuesday for all the law cares, it makes no difference. Any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights.

Any item bought under a consumer contract of sale i.e. retailer to consumer, must be reasonably durable for its intended purpose. This is purposely vague as factors such as cost and function help to form an idea of what is reasonable. An expensive TV that breaks after 3,4,5 years of use is definitely not reasonable - if the display quality drops so much in that space of time then the tech is not fit for purpose.

Have you heard of many (any) cases going to small claims and losing? Not a chance, any case noted on here have all been successful. Retailers know this too and as you can see in the last few pages here will eventually do the right thing after their initial anti-consumer money saving attempts. The reason some get repaired/replaced and some don't is because some people are informed of their rights and how to exercise them and some aren't.

To me it seems like most of the "successful cases" regarding a panel replacement were in the UK and the US. Everywhere else from what I read (Germany, Spain, Austria) people were less successful. Makes me wonder if the UK has better consumer rights or us outside of the UK have less knowledge/experience regarding our consumer rights.

I live in Austria, but I bought the LG OLED B7 in 2017 online from Amazon.de (Germany). When I tried to confront the Amazon customer support with the issue that the TV developed permanent image retention, they just replied that I should take it up with the LG customer support (which was not successful at all for me).

I did not consider small claims back then because I had another case going (the railway company from Germany prolonged a card service for another year automatically without clearly informing me that the service is prolonged automatically). After seeing how successful some people from the UK are I feel a bit sorry that I didn't try it back when I still had my OLED TV.

Last edited:
Forget about the manufacturer and their warranty, it is completely separate to your consumer rights (UK & Ireland specific). Their warranty can say you can only watch for 4 mins every second Tuesday for all the law cares, it makes no difference. Any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights.

Any item bought under a consumer contract of sale i.e. retailer to consumer, must be reasonably durable for its intended purpose. This is purposely vague as factors such as cost and function help to form an idea of what is reasonable. An expensive TV that breaks after 3,4,5 years of use is definitely not reasonable - if the display quality drops so much in that space of time then the tech is not fit for purpose.

Have you heard of many (any) cases going to small claims and losing? Not a chance, any case noted on here have all been successful. Retailers know this too and as you can see in the last few pages here will eventually do the right thing after their initial anti-consumer money saving attempts. The reason some get repaired/replaced and some don't is because some people are informed of their rights and how to exercise them and some aren't.

I agree, an expensive television should last for many years but OLED is organic so over time will degrade and manufacturers are reasonably clear about this. Some retailers not so much. The reality is, no matter what is said in consumer law, most owners will OLED issues will struggle to go through the small claims process.

I agree, an expensive television should last for many years but OLED is organic so over time will degrade and manufacturers are reasonably clear about this. Some retailers not so much. The reality is, no matter what is said in consumer law, most owners will OLED issues will struggle to go through the small claims process.
Yes, but anyone who spends a few grand for a TV that they believe will last 10 years will want and should expect some extended warranty protection from built in faults, (which burn in is), the fact that retailers can continue to spruik extended optional store warranties when they should not be necessary for such an expensive product is the big question.
Consumer affairs law should be made a lot clearer and enforced where necessary, though we know that most consumer watchdogs are toothless fundless puppies.

I posted this in a C8 thread last week, it may be of more use here -

Heads up on D&G extended warranty. Got my C8 in 2018 had panel changed in first year (LG Warranty) due to a stuck pixel, then this year began to notice that the red pixels in centre of screen were showing signs of screen burn, on a full red screen could see what looked like a blurry Boris stood at his podium giving his daily covid briefing, full blue or green screens were fine.
Reported problem to D&G who came and collected the tv, 10 days later got a text saying the tv needs to be replaced and a new model can be chosen from a list on there website. the tv's on offer were a £1400 Panasonic oled and several sub £1k LCD's.
A phone call was made to explain to them why it was unacceptable to offer these as a replacement for a C8, so then entailed a long discussion comparing different models features to the C8, with D&G stating time and time again that "they don't replace based on price, only features".
I then told them that I had specifically purchased the C8 to have a tv with the Alpha9 processor, they came back to me, after a while on hold, to offer me at no extra cost a LG C1, which I politely accepted, It's being delivered tomorrow by AO.

I then told them that I had specifically purchased the C8 to have a tv with the Alpha9 processor, they came back to me, after a while on hold, to offer me at no extra cost a LG C1, which I politely accepted, It's being delivered tomorrow by AO.

Awesome job especially with the Alpha 9 line :laugh:

I've some screen burn on my 2018 b7 Oled. Nothing major and hard to see in real life viewing but it does catch my eye in certain situations. Netflix logo in bottom right, breaking news banner likely from sky sports news in lower left and a dark blob dead in centre from God knows what. I've always been really careful with static images as well, obviously not careful enough.

I did contact LG who basically told me as it's out of warranty they would look at a chargeable repair but they couldn't offer that at the moment due to limitations of the service centre, basically tough luck.

Attachments

• 20210916_172240.jpg
    20210916_172240.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 186
I've some screen burn on my 2018 b7 Oled. Nothing major and hard to see in real life viewing but it does catch my eye in certain situations. Netflix logo in bottom right, breaking news banner likely from sky sports news in lower left and a dark blob dead in centre from God knows what. I've always been really careful with static images as well, obviously not careful enough.

I did contact LG who basically told me as it's out of warranty they would look at a chargeable repair but they couldn't offer that at the moment due to limitations of the service centre, basically tough luck.
This is exactly how mine started, the sky banner becomes visible on green backgrounds particularly football pitches etc. and ruins viewing experience. Forget LG go to your retailer.

This is exactly how mine started, the sky banner becomes visible on green backgrounds particularly football pitches etc. and ruins viewing experience. Forget LG go to your retailer.
Unfortunately the retailer was AO.com who fobbed me right off. They told me as I bought it over 3 years ago and they only offered a 2 year warranty that I was out of luck and to contact LG. Lesson learnt.

Unfortunately the retailer was AO.com who fobbed me right off. They told me as I bought it over 3 years ago and they only offered a 2 year warranty that I was out of luck and to contact LG. Lesson learnt.
Lesson learnt? Dude, you bought from AO so I assume you're UK based, you have consumer rights. A TV that cannot be watched without breaking itself is not reasonably durable. For what they cost, I would be claiming this for a 5 year old TV let alone 3. AO need to offer one of the 3 Rs (repair, replace, refund) or you start small claims proceedings. They can harp on about warranty expired all they like, any warranty is in addition to you consumer rights. They rely on people not pursuing their rights and this is why they get away with it so much.

Lesson learnt? Dude, you bought from AO so I assume you're UK based, you have consumer rights. A TV that cannot be watched without breaking itself is not reasonably durable. For what they cost, I would be claiming this for a 5 year old TV let alone 3. AO need to offer one of the 3 Rs (repair, replace, refund) or you start small claims proceedings. They can harp on about warranty expired all they like, any warranty is in addition to you consumer rights. They rely on people not pursuing their rights and this is why they get away with it so much.
Your absolutely correct and I totally agree. To elaborate I had a 65 inch hisense from AO which was faulty after 4 months. The sheer hassle I had from them to get the TV replaced was unreal. Eventually after jumping through hoop after hoop, I got a refund as store credit and bought the b7.

The thought of going down that hole with them again and the sheer stress it caused I'd rather just cut my losses. They are a horrific retailer to deal with.

I'm going to wait for dogealexander new guide and just pick up another but in 65 this time. Years ago I'd of taken this all the way but I just don't have it in me anymore.

Your absolutely correct and I totally agree. To elaborate I had a 65 inch hisense from AO which was faulty after 4 months. The sheer hassle I had from them to get the TV replaced was unreal. Eventually after jumping through hoop after hoop, I got a refund as store credit and bought the b7.

The thought of going down that hole with them again and the sheer stress it caused I'd rather just cut my losses. They are a horrific retailer to deal with.

I'm going to wait for dogealexander new guide and just pick up another but in 65 this time. Years ago I'd of taken this all the way but I just don't have it in me anymore.

I have been there many times, sometimes its butting heads against a wall which is what staff are trained to do, its almost the default response to save time, money.

But the UK law overrides retailers own TnCs or policies.

Its known as SAD FARTS

Rather then banging heads, its a long shot but id still try 2 emails.

1st: Ask them to escalate this email to management or head office, and notify them they are not following UK LAW (Consumer Rights act), since they have not sold goods of a satisfactory quality and it was not fit for its intended purpose breaking down in just 3 years, since you want a repair or refund.

If it doesn't work, pay a solicitor to do the same email as above, if they see you are going the legal route, they may as a long shot say you are legally right and just do the repair/replacement.

Remember you have the law on your side, satisfactory quality and reasonable amount of time, all judges should know a TV that cost say 1K+ should last 5 years fault free, its almost a crime if it does not at this point, so its a long shot but imo worth an email and solicitor email attempt.

I’ve been waiting for six months for LG to get panels back into stock to replace mine, which has, and continues to suffer increasingly worse image retention. That was after the retailer stated their extended warranty did not cover screen burn, when I contacted them in April and was signposted to LG for a chargeable panel replacement.

I’ve now gone back to the retailer emphasising they are responsible for addressing the issue of the television not being fit for purpose. I accept it was sold to me in 2015, but cost upwards of £4000 and thus should not have suffered the issues it has through normal domestic use.

I await their response.

Hi all. John Lewis have agreed to exchange my 2016 Sony 75XD9405 due to vertical banding. I was prepared to pay the balance and upgrade to the Sony A80J OLED after hearing so much about the brilliant PQ on it. However, as most of my viewing consists of 80% Sky Sports/Sky news, I think I would be stressed about getting burn in, so I'm now looking at the Sony X95J LED instead. I'm not a gamer and my room is reasonably bright. I believe the X95J has a higher peak brightness than the A80J which I need for Sky Q football in HDR HLG as it is very dark on the 75XD9405. Am I doing the right thing? TIA

I would say so, I wouldn't trust a Sky News banner on an OLED ever again. I said this in early 2020 when my 2016 OLED had to be replaced and loads of posts on here said its ok now from 2018 just replace with the newer OLED.....and guess what is happening. Don't know about the XJ but I went for the XH95 and its so much better than my 2016 OLED. OK I am sure newer OLEDs out perform it but not without the screen burn issue. Stick it on the 5 year warranty and we will all be happy to change every 3 or 4 years.

I would say so, I wouldn't trust a Sky News banner on an OLED ever again. I said this in early 2020 when my 2016 OLED had to be replaced and loads of posts on here said its ok now from 2018 just replace with the newer OLED.....and guess what is happening. Don't know about the XJ but I went for the XH95 and its so much better than my 2016 OLED. OK I am sure newer OLEDs out perform it but not without the screen burn issue. Stick it on the 5 year warranty and we will all be happy to change every 3 or 4 years.
Yeah, that makes sense. I've heard good things about the XH95, but unfortunately it's no longer available in John Lewis. Just been looking at some Hisense TV reviews on Youtube and they are more impressive than I thought especially the U8G. Thanks for the reply.

I had a fault from day one with a brand new Hotpoint microwave purchased from AO who insisted that Hotpoint carried out a repair. Hotpoint did visit and repair it, but looking back I should have rejected it for refund as not fit for intended purpose. Not sure if the legislation gives the retailer an option of repair instead of refund?

I had a fault from day one with a brand new Hotpoint microwave purchased from AO who insisted that Hotpoint carried out a repair. Hotpoint did visit and repair it, but looking back I should have rejected it for refund as not fit for intended purpose. Not sure if the legislation gives the retailer an option of repair instead of refund?
As long as they provide one of the 3 Rs, they're meeting their obligations and you'd be hard pushed to get a SCC judgement in your favour if you rejected a valid resolution as such. Still, it strikes me as bad form not to fully replace a brand new item with issues oob.

OLED is organic so over time will degrade and manufacturers are reasonably clear about this.
I would strongly disagree with this. This is the first time I have ever seen anyone state OLED is expected to degrade over time and have certainly never seen any manufacturer make this statement.
Can you please provide a link to such a statement.

I would strongly disagree with this. This is the first time I have ever seen anyone state OLED is expected to degrade over time and have certainly never seen any manufacturer make this statement.
Can you please provide a link to such a statement.
The clue is in the 'organic'.

'OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode. Because the materials used in the construction of these panels are organic, they degrade over time. OLED is a self-emissive technology, which means no backlight is required. Each pixel generates its own light, which will gradually dim over the course of a product’s lifespan.'

The clue is in the 'organic'.

'OLED stands for Organic Light Emitting Diode. Because the materials used in the construction of these panels are organic, they degrade over time. OLED is a self-emissive technology, which means no backlight is required. Each pixel generates its own light, which will gradually dim over the course of a product’s lifespan.'
But where has any manufacture ever publicly said this?

Last edited:
But where has any manufacture ever publicly said this?
All the discussion about 'OLED lifespan' and 'halflife'

’Organic' is quite clear. All modern TV's dim over time, thats a natural feature of LEDs.

Why would a manufacturer advise you about an inherent flaw of the technology? Its common sense? Why would a car manufacturer advise you the car you buy from new will degrade over time, as you use it? Its common sense.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom