OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

This us an update on my dispute with John Lewis. I had an interesting call back from a more senior manager at John Lewis initially offering £100 towards the (once only) £200 LG panel replacement. I explained that I expected the screen burn to just reoccur with a replacement so I rejected this and requested a refund. To my surprise I was then offered a replacement (2020 model) LG OLED TV (Model 55CX5LB) or the cost of this towards an alternative TV. This was £1185 which seemed a steep step up from £100!

My original B6 was £1899 back in 2016 but, given the offered set was a better replacement, I accepted the refund as I believe the small claims court would have made a deduction for the use I'd had so far. John Lewis also collected my old set and returned it to LG which was fine with me.

I can't explain the change of heart from John Lewis. Jill from the Sunday Times had not yet contacted them, so either someone saw these posts or they just had a change of heart, which based on the previous calls I would doubt.

Jill did said she will obviously no longer be following up on my case but would check any other reported cases to see if she could take another case forward. So I can only urge anyone who still needs help with John Lewis or another retailer on the screen burn issues to send her an email.
Interesting...this is almost identical to my resolution with RS. Mine was a credit for around the same amount which I think is very fair for a 2016 55 inch LG OLED TV. I paid a couple of hundred more and got myself a 65 inch Sony XH95...couldn't be happier it is a lots better than the 2016 OLED in my opinion and no repeat performance in 3/4 years. I suspect they have come to an agreement around a settlement figure as opposed to Small Claims/Alternative Disputes Resolution where the outcome is likely to be the same or worse for them.

This us an update on my dispute with John Lewis. I had an interesting call back from a more senior manager at John Lewis initially offering £100 towards the (once only) £200 LG panel replacement. I explained that I expected the screen burn to just reoccur with a replacement so I rejected this and requested a refund. To my surprise I was then offered a replacement (2020 model) LG OLED TV (Model 55CX5LB) or the cost of this towards an alternative TV. This was £1185 which seemed a steep step up from £100!

My original B6 was £1899 back in 2016 but, given the offered set was a better replacement, I accepted the refund as I believe the small claims court would have made a deduction for the use I'd had so far. John Lewis also collected my old set and returned it to LG which was fine with me.

I can't explain the change of heart from John Lewis. Jill from the Sunday Times had not yet contacted them, so either someone saw these posts or they just had a change of heart, which based on the previous calls I would doubt.

Jill did said she will obviously no longer be following up on my case but would check any other reported cases to see if she could take another case forward. So I can only urge anyone who still needs help with John Lewis or another retailer on the screen burn issues to send her an email.
Well done, I would say the John Lewis change of heart is about your perseverance and possibly a directive from head office who probably got a heads up about potential bad publicity etc. (I would imagine John Lewis is a big advertiser in newspapers). successes like yours can provide positive examples for others to potentially use to their advantage.

My issue concerning my A1 has been resolved, Hughes TV collected this on Monday, an engineer phoned me today and explained the issue as image retention/screen burn.

Hughes have liaised with Sony who report as the main failure is in the centre of the screen they will offer me a brand new XR-55A90J as a replacement.

This will be delivered to Hughes who will check everything is fine, run any updates and then deliver to me.

I would have preferred to do the unboxing and run the updates myself but in the circumstances I’m very happy.

It is a shame my initial contact with Sony support was less than ideal.

Excellent service from Hughes TV.

My issue concerning my A1 has been resolved, Hughes TV collected this on Monday, an engineer phoned me today and explained the issue as image retention/screen burn.

Hughes have liaised with Sony who report as the main failure is in the centre of the screen they will offer me a brand new XR-55A90J as a replacement.

This will be delivered to Hughes who will check everything is fine, run any updates and then deliver to me.

I would have preferred to do the unboxing and run the updates myself but in the circumstances I’m very happy.

Another great result if not the best I've seen so far ha.
With more and more reports on here of retailers offering refunds or replamenets sets for permanent image retention it's definitely more reassuring for customers on the fence as to buy an oled tv or not.

Another great result if not the best I've seen so far ha.
With more and more reports on here of retailers offering refunds or replamenets sets for permanent image retention it's definitely more reassuring for customers on the fence as to buy an oled tv or not.
What would actually be reassuring is the removal of the ridiculous exclusion of screen burn from the standard warranty and the lame excuse that the problem is caused by user misuse (watching the TV)

What would actually be reassuring is the removal of the ridiculous exclusion of screen burn from the standard warranty and the lame excuse that the problem is caused by user misuse (watching the TV)
My Sony 5 year warranty does not contain an exclusion could it be something that was added later?

My Sony 5 year warranty does not contain an exclusion could it be something that was added later?
Mine was LG from RS in 2016
para 9 of online warranty says "Exceptions
9. Screen burn caused by channel logos or other static images". There was nothing about this on the receipt or Guarantee wallet. I am sure Sony owners can enlighten you here.

These are the exclusions in my warranty from 2017

3. What is not provided
3.1 This Extended Warranty does not cover:
a) periodic maintenance and repair or parts replacement due to wear and tear;
b) accessories and consumables (components that are expected to require periodic replacement during the lifetime of a product such as non-rechargeable batteries, print cartridges, styli, bulbs, etc.);
c) damage or defects caused by use, operation or treatment of the Product inconsistent with normal personal or domestic use; and
d) damage or changes to the Product as a result of:
i. misuse, including: treatment resulting in physical, cosmetic or surface damage or changes to the Product or damage to liquid crystal displays; failure to install or use the Product for its normal purpose or in accordance with our instructions on installation or use; failure to maintain the Product in accordance with our instructions on proper maintenance; installation or use of the Product in a manner inconsistent with the technical or safety laws or standards in the country where it is installed or used; ii. virus infections or use of the Product with software not provided with the Product or incorrectly installed software;
iii. the condition of or defects in systems with which the Product is used or incorporated except other Sony products designed to be used with the Product;
iv. use of the Product with accessories, peripheral equipment and other products of a type, condition and standard other than prescribed by us;
v. repair or attempted repair by persons who are not Sony or Authorised Service Network members(“ASN members”);
vi. adjustments or adaptations without our prior written consent, including without limitation: upgrading the Product beyond specifications or features described in the instruction manual; or modifications to the Product to conform it to national or local technical or safety standards in countries other than those for which the Product was specifically designed and manufactured;
vii. neglect; and
viii. Mishap, fire, liquids, chemicals, other substances, flooding, vibrations, excessive heat, improper ventilation, power surges, excess or incorrect supply or input voltage, radiation, electrostatic discharges including lighting, other external forces and impacts

3. What is not provided
b) accessories and consumables (components that are expected to require periodic replacement during the lifetime of a product such as non-rechargeable batteries, print cartridges, styli, bulbs, etc.);
c) damage or defects caused by use, operation or treatment of the Product inconsistent with normal personal or domestic use; and
i. misuse, including: treatment resulting in physical, cosmetic or surface damage or changes to the Product or damage to liquid crystal displays; failure to install or use the Product for its normal purpose or in accordance with our instructions on installation or use; failure to maintain the Product in accordance with our instructions on proper maintenance; installation or use of the Product in a manner inconsistent with the technical or safety laws or standards in the country where it is installed or used; ii. virus infections or use of the Product with software not provided with the Product or incorrectly installed software;
iii. the condition of or defects in systems with which the Product is used or incorporated except other Sony products designed to be used with the Product;
iv. use of the Product with accessories, peripheral equipment and other products of a type, condition and standard other than prescribed by us;
v. repair or attempted repair by persons who are not Sony or Authorised Service Network members(“ASN members”);
vi. adjustments or adaptations without our prior written consent, including without limitation: upgrading the Product beyond specifications or features described in the instruction manual; or modifications to the Product to conform it to national or local technical or safety standards in countries other than those for which the Product was specifically designed and manufactured;
vii. neglect; and
viii. Mishap, fire, liquids, chemicals, other substances, flooding, vibrations, excessive heat, improper ventilation, power surges, excess or incorrect supply or input voltage, radiation, electrostatic discharges including lighting, other external forces and impacts
Yeah sorry hadn't realised it was you posting previously about your Sony TV. I understand from other Sony owners on here that they dont regard screen burn as a manufacturing defect but merely user misuse....ridiculous!!

That’s exactly what I got from Sony customer no service so as the TV was purchased from Hughes I left them to deal with the issue.

In my dealings With Hughes they have been superb.

3. What is not provided
vii. neglect; and
To me it looks like Sony included a few clauses for owners who may be using their devices for commercial use. It would never be a good idea to use an OLED as a shop display or coffee shop TV as it would be left on for long periods, I'm sure some prestige businesses have tried it and also brought their panel back for a panel replacement as well.
Depending on the consumer statutory rights that applies for each country a consumer should not need to buy an extended warranty it is only a value add product offered by retailers who want to avoid their warranty obligations and transfer them to what is essentially an insurance policy.
Reading the obligations as they apply to a retailer in Australia even with an extended warranty the obligation to supply a product fit for purpose is still the onus of the original owner which is the retailer, though no doubt the retailer will dispute that if you bought an extended warranty, you would be advised to make a claim with that company.

Depending on the consumer statutory rights that applies for each country a consumer should not need to buy an extended warranty it is only a value add product offered by retailers who want to avoid their warranty obligations and transfer them to what is essentially an insurance policy.
Reading the obligations as they apply to a retailer in Australia even with an extended warranty the obligation to supply a product fit for purpose is still the onus of the original owner which is the retailer, though no doubt the retailer will dispute that if you bought an extended warranty, you would be advised to make a claim with that company.
It's quite the complex topic since the OLED TV manufacturers claim that the produced TVs are "fit for purpose" with LG claiming that their OLED TVs have a lifespan of 100.000 hours. Whenever someone has a permanent image degradation (be it "burn-in" or the "green blob" in the middle of the screen) they say that the users didn't use the TV properly because they have written in the manual that you should watch "warried content" and avoid "static content" - without clearly specifying what that means. I believe that Sony has written in their manual that you should avoid movies in letterbox/black bars (since the pixels in the middle would degrade faster than the unlit black bar pixels).

On a German forum I read about a case where someone brought his LG OLED TV to an LG repair service due to permanent image retention. LG was reluctant in replacing his panel because the TV owner was watching around 18 hours of TV per day and LG told him that he is supposed to turn the TV off after every 4 hours so that the Pixel Refresher can run. But I don't remember reading the requirement to turn the TV off after 4 hours anywhere when I had my LG OLED TV.

Last edited:
It's quite the complex topic since the OLED TV manufacturers claim that the produced TVs are "fit for purpose" with LG claiming that their OLED TVs have a lifespan of 100.000 hours. Whenever someone has a permanent image degradation (be it "burn-in" or the "green blob" in the middle of the screen) they say that the users didn't use the TV properly because they have written in the manual that you should watch "warried content" and avoid "static content" - without clearly specifying what that means. I believe that Sony has written in their manual that you should avoid movies in letterbox/black bars (since the pixels in the middle would degrade faster than the unlit black bar pixels).

On a German forum I read about a case where someone brought his LG OLED TV to an LG repair service due to permanent image retention. LG was reluctant in replacing his panel because the TV owner was watching around 18 hours of TV per day and LG told him that he is supposed to turn the TV off after every 4 hours so that the Pixel Refresher can run. But I don't remember reading the requirement to turn the TV off after 4 hours anywhere when I had my LG OLED TV.
You cant help feeling cynical as a consumer. For retailers their sole objective is to get as many products sold per month as possible, for the manufacturers it is to make products as economic to make as technology allows and recoup R&D and marketing costs, but generally the manufacturers spend more than they make, especially if technology gets more and more complex every year.
The consumer is the meat in the sandwich, the retail stores need to pay for merchandise, staff and overheads, the manufacturers need to cut costs and liabilities they both play the system as far as consumer rights is concerned, a case in point is the recently announced five year limited warranty for the G1 Gallery OLED, apparently; 'this warranty is currently only available in select markets, however LG continues to review each regions needs and is committed to improving on future service policies around the world'. This 5yr warranty is not available in Australia, which does spend big money on OLED TV's.
Well hello LG I think everyone would like that 5yr policy not just markets that LG have had focus groups working out marketing strategies for, in fact for any product valued over a couple of grand it should be mandatory to have a 5yr manufacturers warranty if those people in charge of consumer rights did their jobs properly, it should be made law.
If LG make products which have known faults and issues then the liability is on them to replace or fix them in cooperation with the seller who is the retailer.

Well done and that's a great result. Good on Hughes for following up with Sony and they clearly had more clout as Sony agreed a new replacement. In my case I got the equivalent money for a new set and no idea if John Lewis got this back from LG, but they planned to return the TV to them. It's good to see others getting refunds/replacements for these OLED screen issues.

Well done, I would say the John Lewis change of heart is about your perseverance and possibly a directive from head office who probably got a heads up about potential bad publicity etc. (I would imagine John Lewis is a big advertiser in newspapers). successes like yours can provide positive examples for others to potentially use to their advantage.
Thanks, I was certainly pleased with the result and I hope it does encourage others to persevere with their claims. It seems from the recent posts that the tide may be turning but I suspect this is all still case by case. I still suspect someone will need to take them the small claims court to get a general acceptance that these TVs were not fit for purpose.

Thanks, I was certainly pleased with the result and I hope it does encourage others to persevere with their claims. It seems from the recent posts that the tide may be turning but I suspect this is all still case by case. I still suspect someone will need to take them the small claims court to get a general acceptance that these TVs were not fit for purpose.
Yeah, I am advised that this has been done successfully numerous times which affectively becomes "case law" which sets a legal precedent where there is no legislation or as in our case interprets the legislation.
I suggest that this is why alternative disputes resolution could be as effective as going to small claims and of course retails are well aware of this and may well do the decent thing without reference to either, particularly if you mention it.

My B7A that I got in 2018 has burn in. It’s a combo of the blob in the middle and other areas due to my partner playing Final Fantasy for too long in one sitting many times. I was going to upgrade to the G1 due to the 5 year warranty for the screen but I was surprised that LG approved me for a one time panel replacement. Just waiting for the tech to get the part in.

See, I would absolutely LOVE an OLED as an ex-Plasma owner and having seen the one my friend has; but although they're getting better; it strikes me for people who are ardent enthusiasts who might use the TV for long periods of content, gaming etc...in other words the people who are most likely to BUY an OLED...they are actually the wrong customer.

It is good to see they're doing things like increasing red pixel level; better cooling for the panels; this sort of tactic helped in Plasmas too; it doesn't surprise me that an ORGANIC compound may not like getting unfathomably hot :D; in a few more years it may well be that OLEDs are good enough. I guess for many enthusiasts, maybe they change their screens every few years and this won't be an issue.

For someone like me though who tends to keep a screen a minimum of 5 years; usually until it starts developing serious issues though; I just can't justify one yet; they feel like they're not ready for primetime, and the fact the manufacturers are going all out to blame consumers; when its obvious the screens simply can't handle long periods of high contrast, is worrying; really they should roll out cheap panel replacements to all, whether they like it or not. If that was the case and I could get the panel replaced for £100 every 3 years, I'd certainly feel more secure.

Maybe if I see a really dang good deal, I'll go for one, I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on the £900 CX55, but resisted as I want to go 65" next time around; but realistically if they're making improvements to the EVO panels which may help improve lifespan, the likelihood is they will arrive on more of the range next year; so would make a lot of sense for me to wait until next year before pulling the trigger here; or at least once the actual Evo models for this year become cheaper.

#Sadface

See, I would absolutely LOVE an OLED as an ex-Plasma owner and having seen the one my friend has; but although they're getting better; it strikes me for people who are ardent enthusiasts who might use the TV for long periods of content, gaming etc...in other words the people who are most likely to BUY an OLED...they are actually the wrong customer.

It is good to see they're doing things like increasing red pixel level; better cooling for the panels; this sort of tactic helped in Plasmas too; it doesn't surprise me that an ORGANIC compound may not like getting unfathomably hot :D; in a few more years it may well be that OLEDs are good enough. I guess for many enthusiasts, maybe they change their screens every few years and this won't be an issue.

For someone like me though who tends to keep a screen a minimum of 5 years; usually until it starts developing serious issues though; I just can't justify one yet; they feel like they're not ready for primetime, and the fact the manufacturers are going all out to blame consumers; when its obvious the screens simply can't handle long periods of high contrast, is worrying; really they should roll out cheap panel replacements to all, whether they like it or not. If that was the case and I could get the panel replaced for £100 every 3 years, I'd certainly feel more secure.

Maybe if I see a really dang good deal, I'll go for one, I was VERY close to pulling the trigger on the £900 CX55, but resisted as I want to go 65" next time around; but realistically if they're making improvements to the EVO panels which may help improve lifespan, the likelihood is they will arrive on more of the range next year; so would make a lot of sense for me to wait until next year before pulling the trigger here; or at least once the actual Evo models for this year become cheaper.

#Sadface
A noticeable theme is developing for some You Tube AV influencers and reviewers which is to examine the buyers use case; whether the buyer will use their TV for movies, gaming or as a monitor screen etc.
Nowadays, considering the money spent to buy any top tier TV, for me the choice is easy, if your'e always contemplating and believe your viewing habits are risky it's LCD, if you cant help yourself just buy an OLED, you only live once.

Still got my burnt LG OLED - I had to fight with John Lewis back in 2018-2019 to get a financial contribution - I ended up with £750 I think, whatever the amount was I put it towards a Samsung QLED 75" - which I have been using ever since and it is excellent

So disappointing when you are the one with a problem, I have to say I was unhappy with the service from JLP.

:(

My panel has been replaced and now looks great. The repair man was very nice and prompt. It was interesting watching it being done too.

The problem is that OLED TVs are being listed and marketed as the "best TVs for gaming" (with features like HDMI 2.1, VRR, ALLM, 120Hz, etc.) and the issue of "OLED permanent image retention" is being downplayed or not mentioned by the reviewers and tech sites.

I agree with you. If replacing the TV panel every 3-4 years for a low price of 100-150 €/£ would be offered by the TV manufacturers then it would be more reasonable to own an OLED TV with the viewing habits of a heavy user. Unfortunately the OLED panel is currently the most expensive part of the TV device and in my case LG was asking 1050 Euros for a 55" panel replacement.

Last edited:
Good to see some wins on the last page or two.
I'm sure I'll still get shouted down when I say there's no need to pay JL extra money for your basic rights. Some folk love paying for that warranty around here.

If you are referring to OLED's and burn in then consumer rights becomes a very grey area as the the manufacturers all clearly state that Burn in is due to owner negligence so that's why people end up having to fight to get a repair or replacement.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom