OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

I'm fairly sure that here in the UK, if the situation went to small claims court than the retailer would have to prove that it has been misused, which in almost all cases, I doubt they would be able to.

I experienced this before when I took Curry's to small claims court over an Asus Transformer tablet. A (very) long story short, there was a white spot about the size of a 50p in the middle of the screen and Asus tried to say I caused it by 'misuse'. Bear in mind this white spot was behind the glass, of which there was absolutely no damage to.

Curry's did try more or less begging Asus to repair it (I heard them on the phone) but they still refused to repair it. I ended up having to take Curry's (the retailer) to small claims court and it was a straightforward victory for me. They had to pay the brand new retail cost of the unit which was nearly out of warranty and also the court fees which I believe were around £50 in total. I've never touched another Asus product since and I don't intend to.

The point of this story is, if you do go down the small claims court road and you have to present the evidence (in this case, the OLED TV), make sure it is in immaculate condition and not covered in dust/fingerprints etc. If this is the case then I have no idea how they can play the 'misuse' card.

Just to check did they refund the full value of the original purchase price? I would have expected the court to have made a deduction for the use you had from the unit before the damage but if they didn't then good for you.

I've just started to notice quite bad screen burn on my Loewe Bild 7, its noticeable in normal viewing in some circumstances, and its never been abused, Bit disappointing, love the TV. For context its has an LG panel obviously but if I recall correctly I paid £5.5k for the 55".

Unfortunately Loewe have gone in and out of liquidation since buying it so I guess the new co has no responsibility. I may try the retailer.
Try and get some on line information regarding consumer and statutory rights when buying products from retailers in your region; generally the shop or vendor has a contract with the consumer (you) when they sell a product not the manufacturer, they have a contract with the consumer to supply a product free of defects and fit for purpose, the shop has the legal liability to make repairs or provide product replacement if the product they sold is proven to be defective.
Retailers usually add a margin to the retail price of products to cover returns due to defects as manufacturers sell their consignments in bulk (container loads) worth millions and these are then distributed through wholesalers, it's unlikely you will get much satisfaction from them; a manufacturers warranty is provided under consumer law for limited periods only.

Just to check did they refund the full value of the original purchase price? I would have expected the court to have made a deduction for the use you had from the unit before the damage but if they didn't then good for you.
Yes they refunded the full retail price I paid, plus the court fees.

Thanks All for the advice. Yes the TV was £2224 for a 55inch in March 2017. The 55E6 was the last 3D panel as far as I am aware. I'm not sure this complicates things? I would assume the panel has to be 3D capable? (Can a 2019 panel go in a 2016 OLED 3D TV?) I have pushed LG a bit further and advised how much the set cost with invoice evidence. Will update when they reply.

sadly there have been no 3d panels for a few years , they put in a newer panel which is brighter with no 3d filter on it, but the 3d function wont work (the tv thinks it is but it wont display properly on screen) so it makes it an inferior set as i like that tech, but no problem for most customers as they are getting a slightly brighter image

Hi All.

So after a few weeks of wrangling with LG UK my 55E6 OLED has been offered a repair for £200.

Is this the standard outcome to resolve now? I'm assuming they will replace the panel?

I'm worried the replacement panel will have the same issue down the line unless this is something LG have resolved now? I contacted the retailer (Crampton and Moore) a few weeks back and their take was that OLED screen burn is not covered under their 5 year warranty. Do you think I should push them more. Any advice appreciated.
i think the retailer should reimburse you the £200 cost.

Its a lifesaver for them, it would cost them £1200 or so to replace the set if lg were not doing the repairs for so cheap

i think the retailer should reimburse you the £200 cost.

Its a lifesaver for them, it would cost them £1200 or so to replace the set if lg were not doing the repairs for so cheap
If people would stop letting them off the hook, maybe they would start. Too many people on here advise to pay the £200 to get it over with. Not a chance I would pay that for something covered by my consumer rights.

If people would stop letting them off the hook, maybe they would start. Too many people on here advise to pay the £200 to get it over with. Not a chance I would pay that for something covered by my consumer rights.
In perspective of how LG treats OLED owners from other countries I think the £200 offer is okay.

Only in UK they offer panel replacements for £200. Here In Austria (EU) LG and their repair service partner were asking 1050 Euros (around £895) for a panel replacement on the 55" LG B7 model after having it for 3 years. That's 2/3 of the price I payed for the TV and I heard of other similar cases here in Austria.

Also the LG customer support hung up the phone on me the last time I called them to get at least the factory defect fixed which rtings.com identified and according to rtings.com LG should have fixed for free in the timespan of 5 years.

In perspective of how LG treats OLED owners from other countries I think the £200 offer is okay.

Only in UK they offer panel replacements for £200. Here In Austria (EU) LG and their repair service partner were asking 1050 Euros (around £895) for a panel replacement on the 55" LG B7 model after having it for 3 years. That's 2/3 of the price I payed for the TV and I heard of other similar cases here in Austria.

Also the LG customer support hung up the phone on me the last time I called them to get at least the factory defect fixed which rtings.com identified and according to rtings.com LG should have fixed for free in the timespan of 5 years.
Not surprised,LG.de is same garbage.

Not a chance I would be buying one in those countries. I can't even bring myself to buy on in the UK on principle - their anti-consumer tactics are quite disgusting.
I learned it the hard way. Brand-loyalty is worthless for LG: I bought 4 LG TVs and 1 LG blu-ray player in the past 5 years for me and my family members and had those devices registered on their website, but still that didn't help when I was in contact with them to have the OLED TV fixed due to "burn-in".

I get the feeling that retailers didn't know what they were up against when TV's started to fail that were sold in 2015/16. I asked RS why they didn't tell me about the issue with the Sky Banner and Breaking News.. they said to me " we didn't know it could happen" Well they all know now and try to limit paying up where possible by handing off to the manufacturer. Well mentioning "fit for purpose" certainly worked for me. Forget LG...just look at their reviews on Trust Pilot. Your contract is with the retailer and if they want to pay LG to fix your TV well that's up to them but I really wouldn't be giving money to LG to solve their own problem.

I learned it the hard way. Brand-loyalty is worthless for LG: I bought 4 LG TVs and 1 LG blu-ray player in the past 5 years for me and my family members and had those devices registered on their website, but still that didn't help when I was in contact with them to have the OLED TV fixed due to "burn-in".
Brand loyalty only goes so far, if you are lucky enough to buy a good mid range TV with only minor DSE { for example } then you will want to consider buying that brand name again, however most people who are paying over two grand for their top tier TV will want it to last at least 7-10 years , though nowadays with manufacturers providing yearly tech upgrades it could mean that some consumers may be buying a new TV every 4-5 years, maybe even less for enthusiasts who sell their old TV's.
If your expensive TV fails or costs money after just one or two years you wont or shouldn't be thinking about buying that brand again, especially if you are an average consumer who has just wasted their time and hard earned money.
For anyone looking at an OLED especially an expensive one then they do so with their eyes open, especially if they have been reading this forum, in my opinion apart from professional reviewers and AV enthusiasts with deep pockets OLED's should always be approached with caution.
Personally I try to choose a product with a reputation for good build quality that wont provide stress or concern in the near future, to date LCD's have been my choice, the only proviso is that with all the new Beta tech included in new TV's each year, novice Smart TV owners may find set up and settings issues, and for consumers just wanting plug and play entertainment that's not really good enough.

Wow!
I had no idea screen burn was an issue until reading this thread today.
I have recently noticed green tinges on faces but no problem I thought as I have a 5 year warranty.

Noooo! Says Sony this is a characteristic of OLED and is normal.

I’m retired don’t really watch news or sports other than F1 I normally watch Netflix or Prime and never ever play games.

Surely if this is such an issue it should be brought to attention of consumers when they purchase a TV set.

Anyway mine is a Sony KD-55A1 purchased for around £2200 in December 2017 so less than 4 years use and now has an awful picture (see below)

It is really poor in my opinion.
F86E9302-8439-41CD-A60A-B46F14CBA3ED.jpeg

It is going back to Hughes TV on Monday so maybe they will do better with Sony.

Is that definitely burn? Can you tell what the "burned" image is? Maybe run some test colour slides on youtube and it will show up better.

You can ignore what Sony says, you have no contract with them. You're contract of sale is with Hughes and if you haven't physically broken it (which you haven't) they have to offer one of the 3 Rs i.e. repair, replace, refund. Now they might try to hide behind this "Burn not covered by warranty" line but you should stay firm and remind them that any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights. A very expensive item (well any item really) that breaks itself by performing it's sole function is not fit for purpose nor reasonably durable. If they stick to their guns you'll have to start small claims proceedings to force this to resolution which will take a bit of effort but you will win.

Wow!
I have recently noticed green tinges on faces but no problem I thought as I have a 5 year warranty.

I’m retired don’t really watch news or sports other than F1 I normally watch Netflix or Prime and never ever play games.

Surely if this is such an issue it should be brought to attention of consumers when they purchase a TV set.

Anyway mine is a Sony KD-55A1 purchased for around £2200 in December 2017 so less than 4 years use and now has an awful picture (see below)

It is really poor in my opinion.View attachment 1548386

Run some screen burn test slides as suggested by above.
You can find them on YouTube.
Yellow and red will show it well, it definitely looks like red pixel fade.

Is that definitely burn? Can you tell what the "burned" image is? Maybe run some test colour slides on youtube and it will show up better.

You can ignore what Sony says, you have no contract with them. You're contract of sale is with Hughes and if you haven't physically broken it (which you haven't) they have to offer one of the 3 Rs i.e. repair, replace, refund. Now they might try to hide behind this "Burn not covered by warranty" line but you should stay firm and remind them that any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights. A very expensive item (well any item really) that breaks itself by performing it's sole function is not fit for purpose nor reasonably durable. If they stick to their guns you'll have to start small claims proceedings to force this to resolution which will take a bit of effort but you will win.
A really excellent well worded reply thank you

Wow!

It is really poor in my opinion.View attachment 1548386

I'm guessing from this image that what you have here is pixel degradation in the centre of the display. Usually red is the first sub-pixel to deteriorate on OLEDs, so this seems like an obvious pixel degradation issue. I certainly wouldn't mention the word 'screen burn' at any point. As soon as that word is mentioned, most retailers and manufacturers don't want to know. They will just tar everyone with the same brush and assume misuse.

Just be clear to them that there is a clear green tint in the centre of your screen and it is causing noticeable discolouration with the content you are watching.

To be clear here, this is absolutely NOT normal, nor is it acceptable. It really angers me how manufacturers think they can get away with this. You spent a lot of money on a premium set and it should most certainly last longer than 4 years. Hopefully you have better luck with the retailer than you did with Sony. It was appalling of them to fob you off like that. They should have at least told you to contact your retailer for further assistance.

If Hughes refuse to fix it, then ask them for an explanation as to why. If they tell you the TV was 'misused', then I think you should pursue it via Small Claims Court. They will need to prove in court how you misused it and provided the TV is in good condition aesthetically, there is no way they can prove you misused it, which I'm sure you didn't anyway. Good luck and I hope the retailer does the right thing and fixes this for you!

FYI - I had a very similar issue on my LG OLED B7. Turns out it may have ben caused by an overheating power board which sits right behind the display on the centre of the screen, exactly where my green tint was. Turns out the obsessive heat cause the red sub pixel to decay quicker than normal, resulting in the tint. I'm not saying yours is caused by the power board, but it probably is due to the red sub-pixel decay/degradation. All the best :)

I'm guessing from this image that what you have here is pixel degradation in the centre of the display. Usually red is the first sub-pixel to deteriorate on OLEDs, so this seems like an obvious pixel degradation issue. I certainly wouldn't mention the word 'screen burn' at any point. As soon as that word is mentioned, most retailers and manufacturers don't want to know. They will just tar everyone with the same brush and assume misuse.

Just be clear to them that there is a clear green tint in the centre of your screen and it is causing noticeable discolouration with the content you are watching.

To be clear here, this is absolutely NOT normal, nor is it acceptable. It really angers me how manufacturers think they can get away with this. You spent a lot of money on a premium set and it should most certainly last longer than 4 years. Hopefully you have better luck with the retailer than you did with Sony. It was appalling of them to fob you off like that. They should have at least told you to contact your retailer for further assistance.

If Hughes refuse to fix it, then ask them for an explanation as to why. If they tell you the TV was 'misused', then I think you should pursue it via Small Claims Court. They will need to prove in court how you misused it and provided the TV is in good condition aesthetically, there is no way they can prove you misused it, which I'm sure you didn't anyway. Good luck and I hope the retailer does the right thing and fixes this for you!

FYI - I had a very similar issue on my LG OLED B7. Turns out it may have ben caused by an overheating power board which sits right behind the display on the centre of the screen, exactly where my green tint was. Turns out the obsessive heat cause the red sub pixel to decay quicker than normal, resulting in the tint. I'm not saying yours is caused by the power board, but it probably is due to the red sub-pixel decay/degradation. All the best :)
The replies from you and other members heartens me thank you for your advice.

I am so very disappointed with the response from Sony support (or no support)

The replies from you and other members heartens me thank you for your advice.

I am so very disappointed with the response from Sony support (or no support)
No problem! Please let us know what Hughes come back with. I forgot to mention that my display was replaced under warranty by Curry's. They also replaced the power board and they never even question it. Hopefully Hughes won't be awkward about it. I can't think of a single reason how/why they would come back and tell you that it is normal wear like Sony did. That is absolute nonsense. Don't accept it if they do. Good luck :)

No problem! Please let us know what Hughes come back with. I forgot to mention that my display was replaced under warranty by Curry's. They also replaced the power board and they never even question it. Hopefully Hughes won't be awkward about it. I can't think of a single reason how/why they would come back and tell you that it is normal wear like Sony did. That is absolute nonsense. Don't accept it if they do. Good luck :)
This subject of consumer rights really needs forums like this one as it appears that numbers of consumers do not know their statutory rights when buying goods, especially the contract they have with the vendor to provide goods fit for purpose. It's not unreasonable for anyone buying a product worth over a thousand Pounds (or any currency) to expect at least 7 plus years use from it.
It's probably worth adding that if some individual retailers have reputations for not honouring their warranty obligations it would be wise to find this out before buying, no one should have to go through an inquisition, large franchise stores usually cover themselves for product failures and customer returns.

This subject of consumer rights really needs forums like this one as it appears that numbers of consumers do not know their statutory rights when buying goods, especially the contract they have with the vendor to provide goods fit for purpose. It's not unreasonable for anyone buying a product worth over a thousand Pounds (or any currency) to expect at least 7 plus years use from it.
It's probably worth adding that if some individual retailers have reputations for not honouring their warranty obligations it would be wise to find this out before buying, no one should have to go through an inquisition, large franchise stores usually cover themselves for product failures and customer returns.
I completely agree with you. It's obvious that they're trying to make the customer give up. These forums are priceless for customers because hopefully it will give them the knowledge and the confidence to push the retailer/manufacturer into doing the right thing instead of fobbing them off all the time. Having experienced it myself, going through Small Claims Court isn't as difficult to initiate most people probably think. I guess lots are put off by the hassle with it all. This particular example is a clear case of pixel degradation which is absolutely unacceptable for a 4 year old premium OLED TV.

I completely agree with you. It's obvious that they're trying to make the customer give up. These forums are priceless for customers because hopefully it will give them the knowledge and the confidence to push the retailer/manufacturer into doing the right thing instead of fobbing them off all the time.
Unfortunately I am sad to say that avforums is the exception when you are looking for help with OLED permanent image retention.

On other forums you find people telling OLED TV owners with permanent image retention that they are too stupid to use a TV. Even on avforums you can find OLED enthusiasts saying that "the issue of OLED burn in is non-existent" and people should just move on. On Reddit.com/OLED my post was deleted and my account deactivated when I wrote about my experience with my LG OLED B7 and getting "burn-in" after less than 3 years.

Also in other countries where cosnumer rights are weaker LG is fully taking advantage of the situation. It's also not a help that no tech website has any comprehensive detailled tests on how newer OLED models fare against "burn in". There are speculations that most of them avoid doing "burn-in tests" because they want to keep a good relationship with LG and other TV manufacturers and continue receiving devices for the reviews.

I personally lost all my energy and hopes of getting my LG OLED B7's panel replaced (thats why I sold it and got a Sony LED TV), but I hope that others are more successful than me and that's why I share my experience and forward them to this thread on this forum.

Losing your energy is exactly what some retailers may want, in my experience the larger retail stores are franchise owned and the customer service may differ from store to store, some franchise managers can be surprisingly cooperative dealing with faulty products, but I do note that electronics retailers are now getting consumers to sign forms stating that a TV was in good condition when it was collected and that the store person had explained the correct way to transport it to avoid panel damage, the ploy of course is for the consumer to pay the extra money for delivery including installation.
Plainly the question of product warranty is becoming trickier with the games being played.

I've described my own challenge of resolving my OLED Screen Burn issue with John Lewis in a previous post, and how the Question of Money column in the Sunday Times has now agreed to investigate my case.

The columns author, JIll Insley, has now agreed to take complaints from anyone else affected, regardless of which retailer you purchased the TV from.

So I'd ask as many of you as possible send her your details even if you have had a repair as it would be good to have as much detail as possible on the scale of the problem and the way we're all being treated here.

I'd also appreciate it if you could reply to this post if you do send in your details, just so we're all aware of the numbers of people reporting it, but clearly that's up to you.

So Jill asked for the following:

"No complaints going back further than six years. If the complainants could email me at this address, and put OLED and the name of the company they bought the TV from in the email title, then give fuller details about when they bought the TV, when the problem developed and a description of the problem, and what response they have had from the retailer, plus an emailed copy of the receipt for the TV "

The email address is: [email protected]

I'm hope that Jill can shame the retailers and LG into some reasonable course of action and with a big enough flood of cases that they may be interested in a wider investigation.

Please feel free to spread the word elsewhere as I haven't previously been an active contributor on forums and I will also look for other forums that have posts of OLED screen burn.

Good Luck to everyone
This us an update on my dispute with John Lewis. I had an interesting call back from a more senior manager at John Lewis initially offering £100 towards the (once only) £200 LG panel replacement. I explained that I expected the screen burn to just reoccur with a replacement so I rejected this and requested a refund. To my surprise I was then offered a replacement (2020 model) LG OLED TV (Model 55CX5LB) or the cost of this towards an alternative TV. This was £1185 which seemed a steep step up from £100!

My original B6 was £1899 back in 2016 but, given the offered set was a better replacement, I accepted the refund as I believe the small claims court would have made a deduction for the use I'd had so far. John Lewis also collected my old set and returned it to LG which was fine with me.

I can't explain the change of heart from John Lewis. Jill from the Sunday Times had not yet contacted them, so either someone saw these posts or they just had a change of heart, which based on the previous calls I would doubt.

Jill did said she will obviously no longer be following up on my case but would check any other reported cases to see if she could take another case forward. So I can only urge anyone who still needs help with John Lewis or another retailer on the screen burn issues to send her an email.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom