OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Have been following these posts for past few days as my 2017 LG OLED55E7N has the dreaded GMB burn in despite it being on for about 30 minutes each day, just over 5,500 hours in total. (Not all good morning Britain, God forbid) Can appreciate that the bright yellow logo causes the OLED responsible to wear out and lose brightness quicker than those around it, so leading to dullness rather than actual screen burn.
Anyway, have been in touch with LG today, the guy acknowledged issues with 2017 models and offered a reduced charge repair.
I had to pay £200 and TV is getting picked up tomorrow for a screen replacement. Told me it may take 2 weeks. Really not happy about having to pay at all but will chase that up later. I also mentioned that i had heard that there was no stock of 55E7N screens, these are the ones printed on a sheet of glass. He checked stock and told me they do have them.
My question just now is, has anyone had the same screen replaced, is it an improvement on the older panel. Does the software get updated to include luminance adjustment for logos. Really don't want this happening again although i am not convinced that it won't.
2 other quick questions again for anyone who has had TV taken away for replacement. Do the courier company remove the stand etc.
Does anyone know if good morning Britain have spoken about this issue caused by their logo.
Thank you.
If you have a panel (screen replaced) you won't get any new firmware. This can actually be an issue for older oleds, as the newer panels suffer from near black chrominance overshoot. The later models mitigate this, as best they can, with near black dithering. From memory the e7 firmware won't, so you may see flashing in near black scenes from low quality sources 😬 might give you some ammunition to get a full replacement if you can prove the issue.

Hi there, @Richer Sounds directed me to LG. LG did tell me to get in touch with Richer sounds to see if they would pick up the £200 replacement cost. I haven't had a chance to contact them yet but all of my dealings with RS have been excellent so i am hopeful of it being resolved.
Ah yes, RS have been known to pay for the panel replacements around here, as they should because a small claims case would be more costly. Hopefully they live up to their good reputation although I'd question why they send the customer to the manufacturer in the first place. . .

Have been following these posts for past few days as my 2017 LG OLED55E7N has the dreaded GMB burn in despite it being on for about 30 minutes each day, just over 5,500 hours in total. (Not all good morning Britain, God forbid) Can appreciate that the bright yellow logo causes the OLED responsible to wear out and lose brightness quicker than those around it, so leading to dullness rather than actual screen burn.
Anyway, have been in touch with LG today, the guy acknowledged issues with 2017 models and offered a reduced charge repair.
I had to pay £200 and TV is getting picked up tomorrow for a screen replacement. Told me it may take 2 weeks. Really not happy about having to pay at all but will chase that up later. I also mentioned that i had heard that there was no stock of 55E7N screens, these are the ones printed on a sheet of glass. He checked stock and told me they do have them.
My question just now is, has anyone had the same screen replaced, is it an improvement on the older panel. Does the software get updated to include luminance adjustment for logos. Really don't want this happening again although i am not convinced that it won't.
2 other quick questions again for anyone who has had TV taken away for replacement. Do the courier company remove the stand etc.
Does anyone know if good morning Britain have spoken about this issue caused by their logo.
Thank you.
GMB was on my 55C7 for 2-3 hours a morning, it had 11k hours on it when it got accidentally damaged movie it when decorating.
It had no pir at all, it was calibrated with an oled light of 33 so this may of helped.
£200 ain't bad, you won't see any other manufacturers offering that service
If they replace the panel you will still be running on the same software and won't have logo luminance feature unfortunately.
But I think the panel will be a newer model with larger red sub pixel which should help,mkre than likely an E9 or EX panel
The logo luminance is great feature that works well with BMG logo,
I had sony 77AG9 oled for a short time and one of the first things I noticed with it was how bright GMB logo was on TV that did not have logo luminance control.
I don't think GMB are aware of the issues there stupid over sized bright orange logo is doing.

Last edited:
GMB was on my 55C7 for 2-3 hours a morning, it had 11k hours on it when it got accidentally damaged movie it when decorating.
It had no pir at all, it was calibrated with an oled light of 33 so this may of helped.
£200 ain't bad, you won't see any other manufacturers offering that service
If they replace the panel you will still be running on the same software and won't have logo luminance feature unfortunately.
But I think the panel will be a newer model with larger red sub pixel which should help,mkre than likely an E9 or EX panel
The logo luminance is great feature that works well with BMG logo,
I had sony 77AG9 oled for a short time and one of the first things I noticed with it was how bright GMB logo was on TV that did not have logo luminance control.
I don't think GMB are aware of the issues there stupid over sized bright orange logo is doing.
Strange thing is i have read several posts with people saying they were advised that the 55E7N screen was no longer available as a replacement so will be interesting to see what happens when the TV arrives at their repair shop.
Had my first disappointing contact with@Richer Sounds, someone from shop called me and said they would not refund the repair cost. I have to phone their repair number tomorrow to discuss further.

Strange thing is i have read several posts with people saying they were advised that the 55E7N screen was no longer available as a replacement so will be interesting to see what happens when the TV arrives at their repair shop.
Had my first disappointing contact with@Richer Sounds, someone from shop called me and said they would not refund the repair cost. I have to phone their repair number tomorrow to discuss further.
Don't be surprised if you get a call to say they have no panels and a offer an uplift code for it.
I would be amazed if they still the original E7 panels available.

Don't be surprised if you get a call to say they have no panels and a offer an uplift code for it.
I would be amazed if they still the original E7 panels available.
Thank you for your reply. If that was to be the case, has anyone any idea how they arrive at an amount. The TV was £2,500 pounds but due to RS honouring a black Friday deal from another shop and LG redemption offer at the time i got a £900 discount. Exceptional deal for what at the time was an exceptional TV. If LG were unable to repair, what should i expect from them. A figure based on what I paid or on value of TV.
To be honest, if i can get a quality repair i would be happy with that.
Thanks all.

Thank you for your reply. If that was to be the case, has anyone any idea how they arrive at an amount. The TV was £2,500 pounds but due to RS honouring a black Friday deal from another shop and LG redemption offer at the time i got a £900 discount. Exceptional deal for what at the time was an exceptional TV. If LG were unable to repair, what should i expect from them. A figure based on what I paid or on value of TV.
To be honest, if i can get a quality repair i would be happy with that.
Thanks all.
From past posts on similar cases these no sence to how they work out what your replacement value is, as its LG direct the last case I read the guy was given a 55cx for his pir damaged 55c7.
If you hold out and stick to yiur guns I think will get a result you will be happy with.

From past posts on similar cases these no sence to how they work out what your replacement value is, as its LG direct the last case I read the guy was given a 55cx for his pir damaged 55c7.
If you hold out and stick to yiur guns I think will get a result you will be happy with.
Thank you, appreciate you taking the time to reply. Just hope to get this resolved painlessly and hopefully without having had to pay £200.

LG did tell me to get in touch with Richer sounds to see if they would pick up the £200 replacement cost.
£200 sounds like a "fairly reasonable price" for the replacement cost. Compared to that here in Austria LG and their repair service partner are asking for 1050 EUR if I want the panel replaced for the LG OLED B7 TV. That's 2/3 of the price I paid for the TV set.

My point about Good Morning Britain was really just curiosity to see if anyone is aware of them having been contacted regarding their logo causing issues.
If yes, interested to see their take on it. Wasn't really expecting them to pick up on it but hey, it could make a good wee filler for them. LG state that watching 30 minutes of their morning show can ruin your television and then blame the consumer.
Blaming the customer is typical LG agenda. At first the customer service was like "yes, it's understandable that you are dissatisfied", then when I got to their repair service partner, the tech guy basically told me it's my fault "that I bought an OLED TV and expect it not to burn-in when playing PlayStation and watching news channels. it's organic matter, it wears off" (though I never mentioned that I play Xbox or anything else on the TV). And the last time I was in a call with the LG customer support the guy hung up the phone on me.

It would be interesting to see how the TV channels react to users pointing out the "burn-in" risk due to their static elements.

What really frustrates me is that prior to buying the OLED i had a 42 inch Panasonic plasma for 5 years then a Panasonic 50 inch plasma for 6 years (sometimes i resent that extended warranty, wife uses it as an excuse to stop me upgrading as often as i would like.)
Plasma was renowned for suffering burn in but i never had an issue with it. The 50 inch screen was passed on to someone i know over 3 years ago and is still working perfectly.
OLED manuals and various websites do mention burn in, or led dimming with excessive use, but the key word is excessive.
Anything i have read states it would require your TV to be left on a static image for hours at a time. They all state that the average viewer should not experience this.
I cannot recall ever seeing an advert that stated, unsuitable for watching a TV shows such as good morning Britain for 30 minutes a day. Don't think it would have sold as well as it has.
No salesman would mention that to a customer.
Honestly, i walked into the living room this morning, the wife had good morning Britain on before leaving for work.
I nearly reacted by telling her to change channel. Now that is not right.
Great with hindsight or if you are a geek that thinks about luminance, screen retention, pixel degradation etc. Does the average consumer think like this, no, nor should they have to.
My main thoughts now are whenever i buy my next TV, will i consider OLED again.
How many people were put off buying plasma TVs in the past because they were considered to suffer from burn in. Loads.
It certainly has made me think.

My main thoughts now are whenever i buy my next TV, will i consider OLED again.
How many people were put off buying plasma TVs in the past because they were considered to suffer from burn in. Loads.
It certainly has made me think.
Yes, by now I'm so frustrated with seeing the "burn-in" marks on my LG OLED that I cannot stand it anymore and I'm planning to sell my TV set for 300 euros and buy a VA/LED TV. Even if OLED TVs improved over the last 3 years I lost all my trust and faith in the LG brand and in OLED TVs.

Honestly, i walked into the living room this morning, the wife had good morning Britain on before leaving for work.
I nearly reacted by telling her to change channel. Now that is not right.
I was annoying my wife by pointing out all the channel logos which "burn-in" (cause permanent image retention) to the point where she got frustrated and left the room because there was almost no channel which did not contribute to "burn-in". Many users even have a faint spot in the middle of the screen since faces are usually shown in the middle and since faces contain the color "red".

Fact is, if you have to think about what might "burn-in" and what not then it's not fun anymore to watch TV.

Thank you, appreciate you taking the time to reply. Just hope to get this resolved painlessly and hopefully without having had to pay £200.
There's no way you should be paying for the repair. Argue back, contact RS via AV Forums. They are on here and will help. My E6 had the Netflix logo burnt out. Like you I was pushed towards a paid LG Panel replacement but after contacting RS on here I eventually settled for a trade in and upgrade to LG GX (they also offered to pay the panel repair if that is what I wanted). Their customer service was great once I pushed back. You're welcome to PM me for further details.

I am waiting on a call from Tom Griffith's from richer sounds.
I have always had great service from richer sounds but to be fair i am sickened at lg's attitude.
No-one should be buying a television nowadays and being told, or rather not told, don't watch this show for too long etc. Even the fact that John Lewis now offer a burn in warranty for oled just screams out that there is a major flaw with this technology.
Thanks again for your reply, really do appreciate it.

Last edited:
I am waiting on a call from Tom Griffith's from richer sounds.
I have always had great service from richer sounds but to be fair i am sickened at lg's attitude.
No-one should be buying a television nowadays and being told, or rather not told, don't watch this show for too long etc. Even the fact that John Lewis now offer a burn in warranty for oled just screams out that there is a major flaw with this technology.
Thanks again for your reply, really do appreciate it.
That's why people have successfully won via small claims under "not fit for purpose" I was advised on this by dispute resolution team. However I didn't want to go down that route so having been offered the entry OLED model as a replacement for my four and a half year OLED by RS ( very fair in my opinion) I decided to take it as a credit and exchanged for Sony XH95....end of SB worries.
RS were very good really although they did at first try to hand me off to LG but I just flatly refused saying they were my retailer not LG

Hiya. New to the forum but read through the first 10 and last 10 pages before posting. Also referred back to previous posts where appropriate. I have a 55B7 dated March 2018 bought from John Lewis in July 2018 under 5 year warranty (which I know doesn’t cover burn in). TV usage is about 5 hours or day. Anyway, I opened a ticket after noticing a green line towards the bottom and after researching thought it might be a ribbon cable connection to panel issue. They outsourced to a local AVS and I sent in 3 photos to them as they requested. Didn’t hear anything for two weeks so contacted AVS who said they are waiting on JL for guidance. Emailed JL and got a call today and the tech told me it was burn in and that although the Tv is under warranty that they don’t cover burn in. I was in shock and convinced it wasn’t as I don’t watch GMB or the news more than 30 mins and really try not to pause with any banners on screen. He referred to one of the pictures (lady in red dress) and I told him the greyish bit is a reflection and I live in a bright room and it’s hard to take photos without a reflection). I asked to escalate to a manager and he took more notes and asked me to pull up color tests on YouTube and to send in 10-20 more pictures to help them determine that it wasn’t burn in. I then went into YouTube and when the entire screen goes red, there are lots of image retention/burn in items noticeable that weren’t even noticeable under normal viewing. I could see the mute button graphic in 3 places, Netflix in the bottom right and the horizontal line across for which I originally called about. I did the manual pixel refresh 3 times but they haven’t cleared. So… do I now go back to JL focusing on just what they asked for — the horizontal line, or do I now go to LG because of their webos mute icon? At the end of the day I don’t see the mute and Netflix under normal viewing but it’s outrageous that JL now offers added care for £140 which covers burn in but didn’t when I bought back in 2018.
Thoughts on next steps? Appreciate anyone’s feedback. Cheers.

Attachments

• B91BAF54-B4E8-4D44-9480-05E0F522669C.jpeg
    B91BAF54-B4E8-4D44-9480-05E0F522669C.jpeg
    71.2 KB · Views: 161
  • 6B68681B-7C38-4323-A991-A52C94C4AADB.jpeg
    6B68681B-7C38-4323-A991-A52C94C4AADB.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 59769E29-7132-4403-AB1D-9143BAE5CADB.jpeg
    59769E29-7132-4403-AB1D-9143BAE5CADB.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 166
  • C7B73BD9-45AC-4ED7-96AB-2CC3E460C05A.jpeg
    C7B73BD9-45AC-4ED7-96AB-2CC3E460C05A.jpeg
    122.1 KB · Views: 140
  • 2C0269F1-BBBE-4A0E-A47E-AAC1C8AB4129.jpeg
    2C0269F1-BBBE-4A0E-A47E-AAC1C8AB4129.jpeg
    124.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 103387AB-485D-4427-AF1B-FD0DD21F7B72.jpeg
    103387AB-485D-4427-AF1B-FD0DD21F7B72.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 172
The more i read about this now, the more convinced i am that OLED is totally flawed. No one should be paying this type of money for a TV and then being anxious about what they watch on it.
You will see from my earlier post that i was directed by richer sounds to go direct to lg. I do think that it probably should have been left with them as a consumer rights type case i.e. TV not fit for purpose.
I am going to get panel replaced and would also hope that richer sounds pay the £200. Still waiting on call from them.
I would suggest going back to John Lewis and pushing the sale of goods act etc. If that fails go to lg.
Good luck.

Hiya. New to the forum but read through the first 10 and last 10 pages before posting. Also referred back to previous posts where appropriate. I have a 55B7 dated March 2018 bought from John Lewis in July 2018 under 5 year warranty (which I know doesn’t cover burn in). TV usage is about 5 hours or day. Anyway, I opened a ticket after noticing a green line towards the bottom and after researching thought it might be a ribbon cable connection to panel issue. They outsourced to a local AVS and I sent in 3 photos to them as they requested. Didn’t hear anything for two weeks so contacted AVS who said they are waiting on JL for guidance. Emailed JL and got a call today and the tech told me it was burn in and that although the Tv is under warranty that they don’t cover burn in. I was in shock and convinced it wasn’t as I don’t watch GMB or the news more than 30 mins and really try not to pause with any banners on screen. He referred to one of the pictures (lady in red dress) and I told him the greyish bit is a reflection and I live in a bright room and it’s hard to take photos without a reflection). I asked to escalate to a manager and he took more notes and asked me to pull up color tests on YouTube and to send in 10-20 more pictures to help them determine that it wasn’t burn in. I then went into YouTube and when the entire screen goes red, there are lots of image retention/burn in items noticeable that weren’t even noticeable under normal viewing. I could see the mute button graphic in 3 places, Netflix in the bottom right and the horizontal line across for which I originally called about. I did the manual pixel refresh 3 times but they haven’t cleared. So… do I now go back to JL focusing on just what they asked for — the horizontal line, or do I now go to LG because of their webos mute icon? At the end of the day I don’t see the mute and Netflix under normal viewing but it’s outrageous that JL now offers added care for £140 which covers burn in but didn’t when I bought back in 2018.
Get on to LG at the worst they should offer a screen replacement for £200.
The darker centre of the screen Is from peoples faces lol and cannot be classed as abuse.
It should be replaced free of charge.
Just out of interest what oled brightness and picture mode do you use? Not that it matters to LG as they set standard picture mode as the default with a oled light of 80

@PaulinBrighton your contract of sale is with JL, LG have no contract with you. That TV is not fit for purpose nor reasonably durable so I would be seeking redress from the retail under your consumer rights. This has nothing to do with the warranty, this is basic consumer law stuff and any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights. Push back on JL. You may need to start the small claims process to force their hand. I expect you'll need an indy report to show you didn't physically damage the unit.

You have a B7, and this is a know fault and it should simply be replaced like many other have been done

Get on to LG at the worst they should offer a screen replacement for £200.
The darker centre of the screen Is from peoples faces lol and cannot be classed as abuse.
It should be replaced free of charge.
Just out of interest what oled brightness and picture mode do you use? Not that it matters to LG as they set standard picture mode as the default with a oled light of 80
Hi and thanks for replying. I use technicolor expert picture mode and contrast is 85 I think by default.

You have a B7, and this is a know fault and it should simply be replaced like many other have been done
I’ve now sent a lengthy strongly worded email to JL. I’m not going to take 20 more pictures that sounds ridiculous. I mentioned that the B7 has known non-uniform pixel degradation resulting in image retention and expect a repair or replacement. I’m hoping for a quick and easy resolution but doubt that will be the case. It’s a shame they now offer to cover these faults for £140 over 5 years but didn’t when I purchased it. Thanks everyone who responded.

I think the very fact that they offer burn in protection when all mentions of burn in by lg state that the average user should not be affected by it. It would require hundreds of hours on a static image.
What they don't mention is that apparently it is a cumulative figure, so 30 minutes a day watching good morning Britain with its bright yellow logo ends up reducing the power of the red led. It was addressed from 2018 onwards i believe by making the red led larger and introducing a luminance control that detects bright logos and reduces the brightness at that spot.
Technically it is not burn in, it is uniform dimming of an area.
Guilty my lud.
Good luck.

I think the very fact that they offer burn in protection when all mentions of burn in by lg state that the average user should not be affected by it. It would require hundreds of hours on a static image.
What they don't mention is that apparently it is a cumulative figure, so 30 minutes a day watching good morning Britain with its bright yellow logo ends up reducing the power of the red led. It was addressed from 2018 onwards i believe by making the red led larger and introducing a luminance control that detects bright logos and reduces the brightness at that spot.
Guilty my lud.
Good luck.
They have played with the sub-pixel structure in nearly every annual revision of those OLED panels. Similar story with software protections - all the while saying it's not an issue of course! The jury is very much still out on the 2018+ models as it generally takes 2-3 years for issues to show. I'm not holding my breath on this being solved tbh.

Yes, that's why the correct term is "permanent image retention" although thanks to Plasma TVs every knows what "burn-in" is.

@PaulinBrighton You can say it's planned obsolescence". A premium TV device should last longer than 3 years.

Yes, that's why the correct term is "permanent image retention" although thanks to Plasma TVs every knows what "burn-in" is.

@PaulinBrighton You can say it's planned obsolescence". A premium TV device should last longer than 3 years.
Received a call within an hour of the email. The advisor said they will ensure that a Technician actually visits this time rather than just requesting photos. He also asked for more pictures so I sent some from the YouTube colour test screens. Didn’t notice a lot of the other issues when I first opened the ticket. I’m refusing to call it burn in though, even though there are colour issues, as I don’t want to risk a manufacturers defect claim.

Attachments

• 4838333E-7BC0-4EE1-BFA8-75A9927B6FF3.jpeg
    4838333E-7BC0-4EE1-BFA8-75A9927B6FF3.jpeg
    38.3 KB · Views: 147
  • B204DAA5-A34A-4BA1-A760-C8E26EBD0D2B.jpeg
    B204DAA5-A34A-4BA1-A760-C8E26EBD0D2B.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 9D74FFFA-1895-43B5-9E6D-F831EF1203DC.jpeg
    9D74FFFA-1895-43B5-9E6D-F831EF1203DC.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 115
  • 88C5685C-C5D5-4D59-8A08-FD9304B848D3.jpeg
    88C5685C-C5D5-4D59-8A08-FD9304B848D3.jpeg
    131.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 2719FB12-3939-445E-9225-7B899382766B.jpeg
    2719FB12-3939-445E-9225-7B899382766B.jpeg
    90.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 718CEF74-8B38-4A47-A46C-38456F55F6A9.jpeg
    718CEF74-8B38-4A47-A46C-38456F55F6A9.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 925351F8-6D19-4CFD-8BB5-BCC0F7073A58.jpeg
    925351F8-6D19-4CFD-8BB5-BCC0F7073A58.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 107
  • CC6B47A5-F695-4479-9724-0F83F139FC6A.jpeg
    CC6B47A5-F695-4479-9724-0F83F139FC6A.jpeg
    252.9 KB · Views: 145

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom