OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Looks like, OLED tv's doesn't have burn in.
Problem is that red subpixels have short lifespan

I have the LG 65 E6 OLED and also the LG 65 B7 OLED.

Both have screen burn.

I first noticed the screen burn on the E6 a few months ago.
It is only visible with certain colours. There is a horizontal thin line covering about 70% of the screen width and also a box with top menu in text that is visible.
It appears to me that the screen is unable to produce shades of red and flesh tones in the affected areas but it can prod uniform greens and whites and other colours. The fault affected areas seem to be outputting no illumination and appear to be a dark grey.
Currently watching snooker the screen is perfect. Watching TV programmes and movies it is occasionally obvious depending on the screen content.
I am disappointed to have recently discovered this with the E6 but would not wish to replace it as I have a collection of 3D movies.
With mixed screen images the fault is not very noticeable but it is more obvious on more uniform colour areas.
The burn appeared almost over night and I have no obvious explanation.
I suspected the horizontal line may coincide with the news channels but I am at a loss to see where the box with text for "top menu " has came from.

I have the 65 LG B7 OLED in the Kitchen and just noticed faint signs of image retention during the BBC series The Planets.
The B7 was from Richer sounds and it is part of the power board recall.
Does anyone know if they would consider a warranty claim for screen burn if it becomes more of an issue.

I really enjoy my OLED viewing but will most likely look at alternatives for my next purchases.

regards Stasis.

I had the Netlfix logo (burnt out red pixels) on my E6 55" at the end of last year. Bought from Richer Sounds beginning of 2017. RS weren't overly helpful to begin but after pushing back and direct messaging RS on here they offered the panel replacement scheme for free (not 3D) or the option to trade in and upgrade which is the option I took.

I will live with the E6 fault as I will miss the 3D.
Thanks xWill for the info about how Richer Sounds responded to your problem screen.
I don't think the B7 fault is currently sufficiently bad to complain about but I will monitor it over the comming months and complain if I become unsatisfied with it.
regards stasis

I had the Netlfix logo (burnt out red pixels) on my E6 55" at the end of last year. Bought from Richer Sounds beginning of 2017. RS weren't overly helpful to begin but after pushing back and direct messaging RS on here they offered the panel replacement scheme for free (not 3D) or the option to trade in and upgrade which is the option I took.

Yes they are quick to offer the 2D fix solution now. Probably because it's the cheapest option for them as LG will do it for £150-250 depending on size of screen. Out of interest what sort of value did they offer on the upgrade? Was it a proportion of the TV purchase value based on how long you had it?

Looks like you've even got the volume bar on the right. Even if the retailer/manufacturer argues you've had too much static content, they can't say that the volume bar is abuse of any kind.

Ha...is that what that is!? Crikey. :rotfl:

Anyone have an idea what’s going on with my brand new LG GX55 OLED? The grey areas build up over 15-30 seconds and then goes away when the text scrolls on the screen. Is this the panel trying to protect itself somehow?
214C73E9-565E-41EB-A9FE-893448F1665D.jpeg

just finished my Logo burn in protection with a RaspberryPi

SkyQ 1080p50 -> HDMI In -> RaspberryPi -> HDMI Out -> Tv

everything is automatic and to add new channels I have only to edit the file name of the captured frame
to enable the zoom or to apply the mask

CROP & ZOOM
skysport24_w118_h41_x1798_y998_mCROP_cw1500_ch840_ cx10_cy20.jpg

filename.jpg

canale.jpg

MASK (and transparent png)
skysport24_w118_h41_x1798_y998_mMASK_cw0_ch0_cx0_cy0.jpg
skysport24_w118_h41_x1798_y998_mMASK_cw0_ch0_cx0_cy0.png

mask.png

Last edited:
Hoping for some up to date advice. LG B7 bought from Currys in Aug 2017 - bad image retention, smearing and colour block/patchiness after regular viewing of Sky (in fairness been like this for nearly 12 months but haven't had the gumption for the inevitable battle to get it sorted). Any remedy likely to be available and, if so, do I badger Currys or LG? Any and all help appreciated.

I'm in almost exactly same position except mine is a 65 B6 bought from Curry's in April 2017 - mine caused by combination of Sky and xbox gaming.

I contacted LG today and have emailed them some photos - they've said their tech dept will review them and contact me in next 14 days - anyone know what (if anything?!) offer I could hope for/should expect from them?

Thanks in advance!

Frank20

I'm in almost exactly same position except mine is a 65 B6 bought from Curry's in April 2017 - mine caused by combination of Sky and xbox gaming.

I contacted LG today and have emailed them some photos - they've said their tech dept will review them and contact me in next 14 days - anyone know what (if anything?!) offer I could hope for/should expect from them?

Thanks in advance!

Frank20
Interesting. Would you drop me a line with details of who you emailed etc?

Sure - I actually called them in the first instance using the phone number link at the bottom of this page :- Chat and Email | LG U.K.

They answered within a couple of rings :clap: and took details & then sent an email to which I replied with the photos.

Will help if you have your receipt looked out and access to your TV as they'll ask for serial number from the menu etc..

Anyone have an idea what’s going on with my brand new LG GX55 OLED? The grey areas build up over 15-30 seconds and then goes away when the text scrolls on the screen. Is this the panel trying to protect itself somehow?View attachment 1442391

Not entirely sure, but it could be the logo burn in protection. I don't have one of this year's LG sets, so I'm not sure if it's an option to enable/disable (hopefully it is). Check the menu for something related to logo burn in/static image dimming

Almost all the threads about OLED BURN IN address problems with C7 and older OLEDs.

It has been 3 years since the C8 was released. Because there practically zero reports, compared to the millions of OLED TVs sold,of C8s experiencing permanent image retention does this indicate that it is highly unlikely you will experience permanent image retention if you buy a C8 or newer OLED?

Seems like the best scientific evidence is actual performance results of C8 TVs. The only test I have seen run in a lab on C8 and newer TVs is from Vincent Teoh. His test seems to confirm the 3 year test run by millions of OLED owners who haven’t experienced Burn In on there 2018 and newer OLED TVs.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this as I'm looking for advice on whether I'd likely suffer with burn in on a modern OLED...

My usage would be 4-6hrs continuous gaming, per day, through the week. I generally play the same game until I complete them.
Days off could go as high as 8hrs. Would take a break in-between to allow the pixel refresh but would likely go back to playing the same game again afterwards.
Weekends is mostly sport so
Football - 3/5hrs pw
F1 - 3hrs whenever its on
Boxing - 4/8hrs pw.
Then Netflix/Prime video the rest of the time.

High risk games such as FIFA & F1 I'd be willing to play on an old TV to minimise the risk but wouldn't wanna be having to use an old TV too often with many other games tbh when I have an OLED sitting there lol.

Am I likely to suffer burn in within 5 years with this usage?

For me its either an OLED or budget LCD I buy now as I've previously had thrips get inside of the screen and die on my LCDs and I'm reluctant to spend a grand on a TV that will probably be ruined within 6 months by thrips.

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this as I'm looking for advice on whether I'd likely suffer with burn in on a modern OLED...

My usage would be 4-6hrs continuous gaming, per day, through the week. I generally play the same game until I complete them.
Days off could go as high as 8hrs. Would take a break in-between to allow the pixel refresh but would likely go back to playing the same game again afterwards.
Weekends is mostly sport so
Football - 3/5hrs pw
F1 - 3hrs whenever its on
Boxing - 4/8hrs pw.
Then Netflix/Prime video the rest of the time.

High risk games such as FIFA & F1 I'd be willing to play on an old TV to minimise the risk but wouldn't wanna be having to use an old TV too often with many other games tbh when I have an OLED sitting there lol.

Am I likely to suffer burn in within 5 years with this usage?

For me its either an OLED or budget LCD I buy now as I've previously had thrips get inside of the screen and die on my LCDs and I'm reluctant to spend a grand on a TV that will probably be ruined within 6 months by thrips.
I would just go with LED pal and not have to worry about what your viewing on it.
Sony xh95 is great for HDR gaming if not bothered about hdmi 2.1 . If your pc gaming forget hdmi 2.1. As my serie x runs much better at 4k 60

Last edited:
I would just with LED pal and not have to worry about what your viewing on it.
Sony xh95 is great for HDR gaming if not bothered about hdmi 2.1 . If your pc gaming forget hdmi 2.1. As my serie x runs much better at 4k 60
I've had two of them and returned both for DSE. Think I've spoken with you on the XH95 owners thread actually.
I would be willing to go for another XH95 as I know so many of you are happy with it, but the worry of thrips has put me off. Didnt realise just how bright the XH95 would get until I had one and thrips love bright lights unfortunately.

I've had two of them and returned both for DSE. Think I've spoken with you on the XH95 owners thread actually.
I would be willing to go for another XH95 as I know so many of you are happy with it, but the worry of thrips has put me off. Didnt realise just how bright the XH95 would get until I had one and thrips love bright lights unfortunately.
I had an 85" and it had no dse at all, the most perfect panel I've seen

As you are aware of permanent image retention on oled and its causes you could check your screen on say a monthly basis with full screen colour test patterns to look for pir in its early stages.
It does not happen over night and can be stopped if found early enough, the content causing the image retention I say image retention because that's all it is in its early stages, prolonged use of the this affending content would in time cause permanent image retention.

It really doesn't matter what caused the improved reliability with respect to burn in on 2018 and newer OLED TVs. The actual 3 year tests tests run by millions of OLED owners on 2018 and newer TVs show that OLED Burn In is no longer a reasonable concern. "The proof is in the pudding."

With that being said every manufactuer of OLED TVs uses different "software" with the LG supplied panels (hardware). Based on this factor it may have more to do with hardware than software.

The reason LG is the primary supplier of OLED panels is because the manufacturing of OLED panels has many hurdles. If it was easy there would be more OLED panel manufacturers. To have a manufacturing process that creates 100 percent quality panels may have taken some time to perfect. The manufacturing quality (consistency between panels) improvement since 2018 is the main reason the reports of burn in on 2018 and newer OLED TVs is practically zero when compared to the millions of OLEDs sold. On older OLED panels LG has admitted they had some manufacturing discrepancies (info from ratings.com). For this reason I believe the quality of the manufacturing process improved greatly in 2018.

LG has also made some engineering improvements to their panels since 2018. The increase in pixel size (aperture ratio).

Something has greatly reduced the possibility of permanent burn in since 2018. What it is doesn't matter. There have been millions of tests run by actual owners since 2018. These millions of tests cover every possible usage senerio with the results showing that burn in is no longer a reasonable concern for almost any type of usage.

2021 oleds will be very image retention resistant, permanent image retention will be a thing of the past with this new panel technology. See Vincent Teoh explain below.

They do make adjustments to the panels each year to boost durability. The new brighter OLEDs in 2021 are even more durable (part of why they can get brighter).
If anyone is interested, here's a video explaining it:

It shows up close how each pixel of the TV is created, including the tweaks they make to each colour. For example in 2020 they boosted the size of the red, making red more durable. This time in 21 they boost green, and use a different mass (deuterium - a stable isotope of hydrogen with a mass approximately twice that of the usual isotope.) to increase durability.

Since 2018 permanent burn in risk has improved substantially to the point of almost total elimination.

Last edited:
As you are aware of permanent image retention on oled and its causes you could check your screen on say a monthly basis with full screen colour test patterns to look for pir in its early stages.
It does not happen over night and can be stopped if found early enough, the content causing the image retention I say image retention because that's all it is in its early stages, prolonged use of the this affending content would in time cause permanent image retention.
Just sounds like a lot of hard work and worry dont it. Id definitely get the burn in protection from D&G if I went OLED but even that isn't guaranteed cover with their neglect clause.

Just sounds like a lot of hard work and worry dont it. Id definitely get the burn in protection from D&G if I went OLED but even that isn't guaranteed cover with their neglect clause.

I thought the same and was adamant if going OLED I would get it from JL and pay the £140 for Burn in cover.
But when I settled on a A8 JL were out of stock and didn’t have a restock date so ended up getting it from Costco.
Life’s to short to worry about it tbh I’ve been using it as a “tv” and leave on stand bye etc.

Vincent Teoh only had the C8 for 6months with 3000+ hours before he reported his findings , it is a good sign that there have not been many reports of burn in yet , I suppose this is due the larger red pixel size than the 6 and 7 series maybe this will extend the life to at least 5 years .

2021 oleds will be very image retention resistant, permanent image retention well be a thing of the past with this new panel technology.

Sample size of one here so obviously anecdotal, but at least 95% of my viewing is YouTube and I spend a lot of time in the menu looking for stuff to watch. No image retention that I’ve been able to discern.

Sample size of one here so obviously anecdotal, but at least 95% of my viewing is YouTube and I spend a lot of time in the menu looking for stuff to watch. No image retention that I’ve been able to discern.

What model of tv?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom