OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Gosh, reading this thread has made me nervous and a bit unsure what to do. I was originally intending to but a Sony 55XH9505 but have recently been considering an OLED. I get that the majority of users will probably never experience burn in but it does seem a bit of a worry. I know that JL have the cover but it in my view it is unreasonable to have to take that out for peace of mind.

Gosh, reading this thread has made me nervous and a bit unsure what to do. I was originally intending to but a Sony 55XH9505 but have recently been considering an OLED. I get that the majority of users will probably never experience burn in but it does seem a bit of a worry. I know that JL have the cover but it in my view it is unreasonable to have to take that out for peace of mind.

Personally, I wouldn't touch OLED if I had the choice now. Although it's possible RS might end up fixing mine via LG offer and I'll have to live with the prospect of screen burn in the future unless I just use the TV for movies. If they end up giving me a partial refund I'll go for QLED (maybe a Samsung Q90T) and have to invest in a 3D projector. Here's a look at my favourite bit of burn...Netflix, Youtube, Rocket League...it's got the lot!

LG 65E6

burn pic.jpeg

Personally, I wouldn't touch OLED if I had the choice now. Although it's possible RS might end up fixing mine via LG offer and I'll have to live with the prospect of screen burn in the future unless I just use the TV for movies. If they end up giving me a partial refund I'll go for QLED (maybe a Samsung Q90T) and have to invest in a 3D projector. Here's a look at my favourite bit of burn...Netflix, Youtube, Rocket League...it's got the lot!

LG 65E6

View attachment 1440245
What is the best non OLED alternative? So far I am figuring either the Samsung Q90T/Q95T or Sony XH9505. I know that they are not going to be as good picture wise though.

What is the best non OLED alternative? So far I am figuring either the Samsung Q90T/Q95T or Sony XH9505. I know that they are not going to be as good picture wise though.

Not sure really...the Q90T seems to get excellent reviews. I don't think it can match the new OLEDs for image quality but I read somewhere that they are close to the OLEDS from a few years ago. That'd be fine with me if I didn't have to be nervously looking at the screen for static images for the next few years. All that said I think the newer OLEDs are supposed to be better at avoiding burn...but I've had my fingers (or screen) burnt so not for me.

Has anyone got burn in on a 2019/2020 panel?
Since theve added various anti image retention features are they working?

I've just jumped ship from 5 years of oleds to a sony 85" XH9505.
LED has come on a long way it really has, some content looks better on oled but more is looking better on this sony then on my 65" C9.
On the up side its massive it's a proper home cinema at 85"
Even if I could find a large oled pannel with no banding at 29k for 88"
The better blacks are not worth 26k lol.
Sonys picture processing, upscaling and motion is noticeably better.
Black's are better then I expected them to be and I little bias led back lighting it looks very good.
HDR is much better than on the oled due to 1100 nits peek and 700 nit full screen brightness , abl distorys oled hdr.
Dark HDR content does cause the black bars to wash out, i've not found it be distracting at all, I think this is down to the size of my set.
Its that big I don't notice the black bars when focusing on what I watching in the centre of the screen, I have to look away from the program to look at the black bars to see any blooming in the bars.
The HDR picture between the bars is sublime its the best HDR I've ever seen.
I wanted to upgrade in size, I looked at 77"oled first but the pannels are absolute trash with branding at that size.
So I then looked at the samsung q90t 85" but the pannels on them are as bad as the 77" oleds as they have terrible dse and you can even see back lighting gride on panning shots.
It amazes me that the q90t gets such great reviews when it has terrible pannels, just read the owners threads ha.
So I was left with an LG led or the Sony xh9505.
The nano LG led are shocking with ips pannels the don't do black just a not so dark grey lol.
So the Sony was the one for me and I have to say it's been the very pleasurable experience, I brought it, set it up and run some test slides and was unable to fault it.
No dse or any other screen defects, after 5 years oled I'm not used to buying a TV and not having to return 5 or 6 some times 10 TVs
to get a good one lol.
All in all I've been watching it for 2 weeks and I cannot fault it.
SDR content just cannot be faulted on this set, there is no blooming in black bars at all, just a really solid contrasty picture.
I watched a lot of films on sky like the matrix, preditor and terminator, they looked that good it could of been on blu ray.
Perminate image retention was never a big concern of mine with oled as I had only experienced it once due to HDR gaming, which I must add I did catch early and cleared with pixel refresh but this would of definitely becoming permanent if I had continued to play that game.
Also my other half has gmb on every morning for 3 hours a morning and this would also of caused permanent damage at some point.
Note she did do that on my lg55c7 for 18 befor I upgraded that and it cause no damage to that point but know it would in time for sure.

Last edited:
LED has come on a long way it really has, some content looks better on oled but more is looking better on this sony then on my 65" C9.
Black's are better then I expected them to be and I little bias led back lighting it looks very good.
HDR is much better than on the oled due to 1100 nits peek and 700 nit full screen brightness , abl distorys oled hdr.
Dark HDR content does cause the black bars to wash out, i've not found it be distracting at all, I think this is down to the size of my set.
Its that big I don't notice the black bars when focusing on what I watching in the centre of the screen, I have to look away from the program to look at the black bars to see any blooming in the bars.
I wanted to upgrade in size, I looked at 77"oled first but the pannels are absolute trash with branding at that size.
So I then looked at the samsung q90t 85" but the pannels on them are as bad as the 77" oleds as they have terrible dse and you can even see back lighting gride on panning shots.
It amazes me that the q90t gets such great reviews when it has terrible pannels, just read the owners threads ha.
The nano LG led are shocking with ips pannels the don't do black just a not so dark grey lol.
So the Sony was the one for me and I have to say it's been the very pleasurable experience, I brought it, set it up and run some test slides and was unable to fault it.
No dse or any other screen defects, after 5 years oled I'm not used to buying a TV and not having to return 5 or 6 some times 10 TVs
to get a good one lol.
SDR content just cannot be faulted on this set, there is no blooming in black bars at all, just a really solid contrasty picture.
I watched a lot of films on sky like the matrix, preditor and terminator, they looked that good it could of been on blu ray.
Perminate image retention was never a big concern of mine with oled as I had only experienced it once due to HDR gaming, which I must add I did catch early and cleared with pixel refresh but this would of definitely becoming permanent if I had continued to play that game.
Also my other half has gmb on every morning for 3 hours a morning and this would also of caused permanent damage at some point.
Note she did do that on my lg55c7 for 18 befor I upgraded that and it cause no damage to that point but know it would in time for sure.
How do you find the viewing angles on this set ?

LG 65E6

View attachment 1440245
Looks like you've even got the volume bar on the right. Even if the retailer/manufacturer argues you've had too much static content, they can't say that the volume bar is abuse of any kind.

to get a good one lol.
This is really interesting to hear. As I said above I have been considering an XH9505 and my biggest concern has been the blooming. My main reasons for considering the LED is the fact that I tend to watch a lot of content with long panning shots which I have experienced issues with on OLED and screen burn (I feel uneasy about paying the £140 for the cover with JL just for peace of mind). I am only really going to watch movies and shows so the blooming is a bit of a concern (especially coming from 2 Panasonic OLEDS). If I do go for it I would be likely going for the 55" version of the XH9505 so I guess that the blooming in the black bars in HDR content would be more noticeable than your massive 85"? I appreciate that it will always be there to some degree I just don't want it to be too distracting.

This is really interesting to hear. As I said above I have been considering an XH9505 and my biggest concern has been the blooming. My main reasons for considering the LED is the fact that I tend to watch a lot of content with long panning shots which I have experienced issues with on OLED and screen burn (I feel uneasy about paying the £140 for the cover with JL just for peace of mind). I am only really going to watch movies and shows so it is a bit of a concern (especially coming from 2 Panasonic OLEDS). If I do go for it I would be likely going for the 55" version of the XH9505 so I guess that the blooming in the black bars in HDR content would be more noticeable than your massive 85"? I appreciate that it will always be there to some degree I just don't want it to be too distracting.
If can get cover for pir and Happy to pay for it go oled, I would have gone oled again if the pannels were not riddled with vertical banding or pannel problems on the biggest sets, plus the price at 29k for 88" is insane.
Yes do think that on a smaller screen size the black bar blooming could be distracting to some.
I really wouldn't worry about pir with the content your planning on watching.

Looks like you've even got the volume bar on the right. Even if the retailer/manufacturer argues you've had too much static content, they can't say that the volume bar is abuse of any kind.
Ive got a c6 and ive used it very carefully and ive got screen burn from the red YouTube and Netflix's icons from the smart menu and also lines from my v6 box that only show on a red background eg the CH4 commercial page that is red and the burn shows as dark versions of what caused them and i know for 100% sure that none of these were on the screen long enough to cause i/r let alone s/b.

Ive got a c6 and ive used it very carefully and ive got screen burn from the red YouTube and Netflix's icons from the smart menu and also lines from my v6 box that only show on a red background eg the CH4 commercial page that is red and the burn shows as dark versions of what caused them and i know for 100% sure that none of these were on the screen long enough to cause i/r let alone s/b.

Out of interest what hours are on the c6?

So around 14000hours if say 11hours a day.
Yeah that sounds about right but the weird thing was “one minute it wasn’t there at all and the next minute it was really bad” and I’ve had 2kuros and a zt60 so I know how to look after a plasma screen for I/r and s/b if you what I mean,it was about 3 years old when it appeared and now if I put up a red slide there are marks of screen burn everywhere in places that just shouldn’t be there especially the YouTube and Netflix logos on the smart menu which has never been on for long just the time it takes to select something it just doesn’t make sense to me but maybe someone on here could explain what has happened.

Veiwing angles are great on this set, it has x wide angle technology
Funny as Rtings said the viewing angles were mediocre in their review but the same TV I saw in store looked impressive .

Funny as Rtings said the viewing angles were mediocre in their review but the same TV I saw in store looked impressive .
Tbh mate I don't rate rtings at all, a lot of what they say and do is garbage.
I've not looked at there review but they may have the reviewed the smaller screen size which doesn't have the x wide angle technology, I thinks 55" and below don't have it

55 have wide angle, but Sony doesn't have angle filter as good as Samsung.

Does it, sonys x wide is perfect for my room
Samsung have terrible dse on there pannels

Last edited:
I am glad some manufactures are at least making an effort in regards to viewing angles as in my living room some LED's have looked terrible so Oled has been ideal but comes with its own issues also .

Yeah that sounds about right but the weird thing was “one minute it wasn’t there at all and the next minute it was really bad” and I’ve had 2kuros and a zt60 so I know how to look after a plasma screen for I/r and s/b if you what I mean,it was about 3 years old when it appeared and now if I put up a red slide there are marks of screen burn everywhere in places that just shouldn’t be there especially the YouTube and Netflix logos on the smart menu which has never been on for long just the time it takes to select something it just doesn’t make sense to me but maybe someone on here could explain what has happened.

I think they just degrade over time and usage.

I have the LG 65 E6 OLED and also the LG 65 B7 OLED.

Both have screen burn.

I first noticed the screen burn on the E6 a few months ago.
It is only visible with certain colours. There is a horizontal thin line covering about 70% of the screen width and also a box with top menu in text that is visible.
It appears to me that the screen is unable to produce shades of red and flesh tones in the affected areas but it can prod uniform greens and whites and other colours. The fault affected areas seem to be outputting no illumination and appear to be a dark grey.
Currently watching snooker the screen is perfect. Watching TV programmes and movies it is occasionally obvious depending on the screen content.
I am disappointed to have recently discovered this with the E6 but would not wish to replace it as I have a collection of 3D movies.
With mixed screen images the fault is not very noticeable but it is more obvious on more uniform colour areas.
The burn appeared almost over night and I have no obvious explanation.
I suspected the horizontal line may coincide with the news channels but I am at a loss to see where the box with text for "top menu " has came from.

I have the 65 LG B7 OLED in the Kitchen and just noticed faint signs of image retention during the BBC series The Planets.
The B7 was from Richer sounds and it is part of the power board recall.
Does anyone know if they would consider a warranty claim for screen burn if it becomes more of an issue.

I really enjoy my OLED viewing but will most likely look at alternatives for my next purchases.

regards Stasis.

I have the LG 65 E6 OLED and also the LG 65 B7 OLED.

Both have screen burn.

I first noticed the screen burn on the E6 a few months ago.
It is only visible with certain colours. There is a horizontal thin line covering about 70% of the screen width and also a box with top menu in text that is visible.
It appears to me that the screen is unable to produce shades of red and flesh tones in the affected areas but it can prod uniform greens and whites and other colours. The fault affected areas seem to be outputting no illumination and appear to be a dark grey.
Currently watching snooker the screen is perfect. Watching TV programmes and movies it is occasionally obvious depending on the screen content.
I am disappointed to have recently discovered this with the E6 but would not wish to replace it as I have a collection of 3D movies.
With mixed screen images the fault is not very noticeable but it is more obvious on more uniform colour areas.
The burn appeared almost over night and I have no obvious explanation.
I suspected the horizontal line may coincide with the news channels but I am at a loss to see where the box with text for "top menu " has came from.

I have the 65 LG B7 OLED in the Kitchen and just noticed faint signs of image retention during the BBC series The Planets.
The B7 was from Richer sounds and it is part of the power board recall.
Does anyone know if they would consider a warranty claim for screen burn if it becomes more of an issue.

I really enjoy my OLED viewing but will most likely look at alternatives for my next purchases.

regards Stasis.
Thats exactly what happened with my c6 See post 5127

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom