OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

3 years at 12 hours a day would only be just over 13,000 hours. An OLED can do that without much degradation (any TV will degrade though). As long as you vary content I wouldn't worry.

Take a look at the screen grabs dataset in the RTINGS burn-in test. Subtle burn in is evident after just 8 weeks or 1120 hours of FIFA gameplay. Newer tv’s are more resistant to damage but the pictures don’t lie: this is a fragile technology.

1120 of nothing but FIFA? if so then not surprising really is it? CRT and LCD burnt with static images too.

from RTINGS: "Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV."

Last edited:
1120 of nothing but FIFA? if so then not surprising really is it? CRT and LCD burnt with static images too.

from RTINGS: "Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV."
According to LG the problem is cumulative, so by their logic it wouldn’t necessarily help if other content was watched in between. 1120 hours (which wasn’t constant without a break in their test) is not very much for one game by gamer standards.

I don’t expect burn in on tv’s that don’t watch static content either - good luck finding that content!

I don’t mean to suggest that people should avoid OLED, just wanted to make sure the idea that an OLED could be trusted for over 13k hours of content was shown to be debunked. Varying content is not enough.

You dont need Fifa,start up Netflix or YT app every day couple dozens times for 2 years.
Logos presence on panel will stack up and thats it,panel is degraded.

Plasma's were supposed to be equally as bad but both of mine were fine so think the OLED burn isn't that big an issue (may have been on earlier ones like plasma).

I just think any tech will break if abused and think 1120 hours of nothing but one game is abuse.

Plasma's were supposed to be equally as bad but both of mine were fine so think the OLED burn isn't that big an issue (may have been on earlier ones like plasma).

I just think any tech will break if abused and think 1120 hours of nothing but one game is abuse.
I'm a gamer and during the year I play thousands and thousands of hours on different games. at this point I think that the CX wasn't a great choice

I do feel for you but at least with it being a CX it's stands a chance of being fine with LG slightly dropping the peak brightness (apparently) and implementing logo dimming.

I do feel for you but at least with it being a CX it's stands a chance of being fine with LG slightly dropping the peak brightness (apparently) and implementing logo dimming.

Do I have to activate the logo dimming and reduce the peak brightness or are they always on?

Do I have to activate the logo dimming and reduce the peak brightness or are they always on?
You need to check dose logo dimming affect also games HUD,probably not.

I have my Viera plasma now for 12+ years and zero burn in and still working fantastic.
In 3.5 years i loose 2 LG oleds,there is no compare betwen this two tech.
Plasma is worlds better in term of screen resistance.

You dont need Fifa,start up Netflix or YT app every day couple dozens times for 2 years.
Logos presence on panel will stack up and thats it,panel is degraded.
I've done it for 4 years and my tv is fine. Nearly every day. We use streaming boxes so there are static images in the menus. Granted after a short time of being left on a menu the screensaver kicks in. I have done some gaming on it via xbox but i'm not a heavy gamer. It's our main tv used by whole family.

I have my Viera plasma now for 12+ years and zero burn in and still working fantastic.
In 3.5 years i loose 2 LG oleds,there is no compare betwen this two tech.
Plasma is worlds better in term of screen resistance.

Maybe, but this conversation seems very familiar : Is plasma HDTV burn-in a problem?

I have bought 48CX with the knowledge that screen burn is an issue.

However in the UK, John Lewis offer a 5 year warranty against screen burn and in the US, Best Buy do the same.

I now have no issues with using my screen exactly how I want, when I want, for as long as I want and as bright as I want.

I wouldn't of even contemplated it without that warranty. I would of been worrying constantly.

Not even an issue anymore.

I also came from Panasonic Plasma (10 years use) and never got any issues with burn in after following the run in instructions on AVforums.

Last edited:
I have bought 48CX with the knowledge that screen burn is an issue.

However in the UK, John Lewis offer a 5 year warranty against screen burn and in the US, Best Buy do the same.

I now have no issues with using my screen exactly how I want, when I want, for as long as I want and as bright as I want.

I wouldn't of even contemplated it without that warranty. I would of been worrying constantly.

Not even an issue anymore.

I also came from Panasonic Plasma (10 years use) and never got any issues with burn in after following the run in instructions on AVforums.
How long have J Lewis been offering 5 yr guarantee against screen burn?

How long have J Lewis been offering 5 yr guarantee against screen burn?

They introduced it earlier this year - some time around April I think

I'm looking forward to hearing about all the rejected claims under their T&Cs which interestingly include the catch-all statement "If you don’t follow the manufacturer’s instructions...."

I'm looking forward to hearing about all the rejected claims under their T&Cs which interestingly include the catch-all statement "If you don’t follow the manufacturer’s instructions...."
If is like this then this is no real insurance for oleds panel degradation.....

wouldn't John Lewis not offer this if it was a wide spread issue? I don't see how it would otherwise be viable.

1) there is an issue and they will support it, in which case it's not financially viable for them.
2) there is an issue and they won't support it, in which case John Lewis's hard earned customer service reputation tanks.

John Lewis’ warranty does not cover screen burn, they offer additional insurance at extra cost (£140) that covers screen burn.

They do indeed have a bad reputation for covering screen burn under warranty.

John Lewis’ warranty does not cover screen burn, they offer additional insurance at extra cost (£140) that covers screen burn.

They do indeed have a bad reputation for covering screen burn under warranty.

Yes, that's the policy we've been talking about. We maybe should have described it as the 'accidental damage' policy (which includes 'screen burn'), to avoid anyone confusing it with their standard 5 year extended warranty.

If you achive 3+ years with 12+ hours per day usage it will be miracle.
I've been in the market for an OLED tv for months now but this is very concerning. My current tv is 10 years old and still going strong. £620 10 years ago! if I'm gonna drop £2000 on an OLED I expect it to last 7-10 years.

I've been in the market for an OLED tv for months now but this is very concerning. My current tv is 10 years old and still going strong. £620 10 years ago! if I'm gonna drop £2000 on an OLED I expect it to last 7-10 years.

The problem is that the 'screen burn' situation is not black and white. Some people have suffered it in the past within a year or two simply by watching GMB for 20 minutes a day, whereas others have gamed with static HUDs for years and never seen it. Usage, content and picture settings will vary considerably from user to user which makes analysis of the problem difficult. Those who have suffered are also always going to be the most vocal about it on a forum like this and quite rightly too - I would probably feel the same if I was in their shoes.

For me - the pros of OLED outweigh the cons, of which the screen-burn risk is perhaps the biggest for me. I just take steps to mitigate it, which include avoiding the news channels (not really an issue as I don't watch them much anyway), not pausing stuff for too long and keeping luminance at sensible levels for anything with static content. In my case, I feel it's a small price to pay for the stunning picture I get when watching movies or TV series, which make up the majority of my viewing,

Also - don't forget that OLED manufacturers have added features to their recent sets to counter 'screen burn' that weren't available on early models. These features, coupled with improved knowledge on the subject gained from users' experiences about some of the causes, will hopefully mean that current OLED owners are at least more aware of the risk and the steps they can take to (hopefully) mitigate it.

We'll only get the real picture a bit further down the line though, once these recent generations of OLEDs have had the time and use necessary to bring these issues out. Until then, the only guaranteed way of avoiding the problem completely is to stick to LCD... and swap this potential problem for a whole host of other issues :D

Yes i was of the same thinking, family was shocked with the burn in issue and mine lasted 2.5years, and was a real pain getting a refund, but the consumer protection is there its just effort sorting if anything goes wrong.

Yes - sorry I bought the Protect Plus policy.... that's is what I meant.

• Immediate accidental damage cover (including TV screen burn), no excess to pay.
  • Worldwide cover - repairs carried out in the UK
  • Unlimited call-outs - no surprise repair costs
  • Repairs by manufacturer-accredited engineers or by authorised engineers
  • A replacement if it can’t be fixed - this might be a refurbished or remanufactured product
  • Delivery of your replacement product
  • Replacement TV installation

Only way to make an OLED last that long (short of not using it) in my opinion is to buy it with a warranty or insurance that covers burn in and get it replaced around the 3-5 year mark when it burns in.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom