OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Interesting. I just upgraded my 2016 Panasonic and it's still like new to my eyes. Good job too, pretty sure they don't offer a £200 service.

Interesting. I just upgraded my 2016 Panasonic and it's still like new to my eyes. Good job too, pretty sure they don't offer a £200 service.

Having done a lot of reading up and research on this issue when I was looking to buy an OLED last year, one of my impressions was that the number of LG OLED owners reporting problems of this nature seemed to be far higher than the number of people reporting similar issues with Panasonic OLEDs. This is purely subjective of course and could be simply down to LG selling more OLEDs, but it was one of the reasons why I went with Panasonic.

Yeah my 2017 A7 (1080p model) is starting to show panel wear.

Black bars from 16:9 movies are visible now despite me always being careful about mixing content. They started just as IR but have upgraded themselves to burn/wear now.

Group of dead pixels in the top left corner which is expanding. Common issue with 1080p models apparently. Though you'd have thought they would have fixed it given the feedback they had from the curved models...

I've recently been considering a new TV, but I may end up moving country again, so little point!

Hi all, been offered a new CX as a replacement... (quite happy with that, but am I being too soft???)

I asked about the possibility of upgrading to the next screen size up and they came back with a reasonable outstanding balance to pay. I then asked for the same bigger size Samsung QLED Q95 and this had about the same payment required...

So what do I do...

Stick with the OLED (and hope the spectre of screen burn doesn't get me)
Or go to QLED (and live with none perfect blacks and potential screen un-uniformity)

Last edited:
You wont have to babysit the QLED but you will get a bit of blooming - also samsung over saturate their colours for HDR but some people actually like that. That's the trade off. I know burn-in measures have improved over the years but I still couldn't have an OLED as the main family TV.

Hi all, been offered a new CX as a replacement... (quite happy with that, but am I being too soft???)

I asked about the possibility of upgrading to the next screen size up and they came back with a reasonable outstanding balance to pay. I then asked for the same size Samsung QLED Q95 and this is had about the same payment required...

So what do I do...

Stick with the OLED (and hope the spectre of screen burn doesn't get me)
Or go to QLED (and live with none perfect blacks and potential screen un-uniformity)

That's a pretty good result, to be fair. Have you compared the specs of your E6 with the CX ? Even though the C series is (or was) the next model down in the range, I would imagine the CX specs (processor etc) will be far better, due to the age difference. Are they much different, aesthetically ? I think they'll be more concerned about giving you a TV that's at least as good as the E6 spec-wise though - looks may not come into the equation.

The CX should (in theory) be more resistant than your E6 with respect to pixel wear but you would probably want to change your viewing habits, just to be safe. If you're not willing to do this or too concerned about the risk either way, I would probably go for the QLED if you can live with the blooming.

That's the thing...
Will I constantly be thinking at the back of my mind of IR, if the habits of the family viewing don't change (the girls are now at school - so in theory the tv wont be used throughout the day anymore & I have avoided watching sky news/sky sports news for any prolonged period of time for the last year or so)...

That's the thing...
Will I constantly be thinking at the back of my mind of IR, if the habits of the family viewing don't change (the girls are now at school - so in theory the tv wont be used throughout the day anymore & I have avoided watching sky news/sky sports news for any prolonged period of time for the last year or so)...

Yes, it's a tricky decision. I'm the main user of my (OLED) TV, don't watch sport or news channels much and do most of my viewing in the late evenings, so the choice was a bit easier for me !

If I had a family using the TV a lot when I wasn't there and wanted to watch sport or news channels for long periods without worrying, I'd have struggled a lot more to decide, that's for sure.

I hold disciplinary hearings every evening for family members who have used channels with lots of logos or paused the Sky box for more than 5 minutes without turning the TV off.

Sanctions range from a simple 1 week ban on TV access, to full deportation.

Seeing as OLED manufacturers seem to limit their screensavers to inbuilt apps only, I've often thought that a screen-saver button on the remote would be a useful feature, especially when viewing and pausing live TV or external sources.

Failing that, even a 'screen on/off' button would be better than nothing - that option is buried away in the menus on Panasonic OLEDs.

Seeing as OLED manufacturers seem to limit their screensavers to inbuilt apps only, I've often thought that a screen-saver button on the remote would be a useful feature, especially when viewing and pausing live TV or external sources.

Failing that, even a 'screen on/off' button would be better than nothing - that option is buried away in the menus on Panasonic OLEDs.
Games consoles do it if you use pause. It's very odd that Sky don't.

Games consoles do it if you use pause. It's very odd that Sky don't.
If Sky didn't plaster bright logos on their channels, you wouldn't need one!

Slight exaggeration I know, but Sky have never been friendly to Plasma or OLED TV owners.

Out of interest, what picture mode and luminance setting do you use for your gaming sessions ?
I always use Game mode when playing, both in HDR and SDR.

For my HDR settings I go with 100 OLED light and 100 contrast as it should be and for SDR I have it on 45 OLED light and 85 contrast.

Just hit the 4000 hour mark the other day, panel still going strong.

i think in terms of choice its really based on what you use the TV for.

I am going to stick with OLED i think for black friday but now ive suffered burn in in the top corner and green blob of death panel fault, i am so much more clued up and will run regular tests and watch out for things in my panel this time around before they get bad.

but if you watch alot of news during the day and kids cartoon chanels in a bright room environment i would say oled probably not the way to go.

But if in dim light evening environment you smash out a dolby vision film or series on netflix in the evening, i would say the oled in unmatchable. Bearing in mind the samsungs dont even support dolby vision image yet. Like the quality of watching money heist on my E7 was amazing, i dont see my mates led tvs being anywhere near as good.

LG offer this but only via the speech function as far as I know. ‘Turn the tv screen off’ allows you to turn it off until you press the remote again. Good for music.

I am having to replace my 2 year old 55LGOLED due to screen burn. Screen burn due to my kids with the use of you tube (logo burned into top corner) and the news channel banner during lockdown.
Richer sounds said warranty wouldn’t cover it and LG said it would cost me over 500 to get it sorted.

Will not buy LG again due to this and will also avoid Richer Sounds also.

I am having to replace my 2 year old 55LGOLED due to screen burn. Screen burn due to my kids with the use of you tube (logo burned into top corner) and the news channel banner during lockdown.
Richer sounds said warranty wouldn’t cover it and LG said it would cost me over 500 to get it sorted.

2 years is not a reasonable timeframe for an expensive TV to be ruined from just watching it. Your contract of sale is with the retailer. Start small claims proceedings against them on the basis that it's not fit for purpose nor reasonably durable. Forget this talk of a warranty, its meaningless, any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights. You'll need an engineers report to show you've not physically damaged the unit. It'll take a bit if time and effort but it's an easy win.

Last edited:

Bit of an update to this. Richer Sounds have been in touch to say they will get the panel replaced in my LG tv. So good news:D

Shame LG don't monitor the forum and help more, nearly 4k for a tv that lasts 3 years isn't a good sign of a quality brand, and im paying for them to fix it.
And if it happens again (good chance it will on the 2017 sets) it's 2k to replace the screen!

They monitor this forum and will contact you to resolve pretty much any issue as best they can. They are the best company going for AV in my experience/opinion.

Yeah that's what my question was hinting at and it's good that the poster will get the resolution they're entitled to. I would ask why it takes a customer posting here to have their consumer rights honoured but yet they were left frustrated when trying to get it resolved with them previously in a quieter more private manner? I know other companies still wouldn't budge and push a customer to the SCC so fair play to RS on that front but I'd still not exactly be celebrating their consumer focus - I mean had they resolved it initially, we wouldnt even be aware of the poster's story.

Shame LG don't monitor the forum and help more, nearly 4k for a tv that lasts 3 years isn't a good sign of a quality brand, and im paying for them to fix it.
And if it happens again (good chance it will on the 2017 sets) it's 2k to replace the screen!

It doesn't matter. LG are out of the equation. Your contract of sale is with the retailer. That's who honours your consumer rights. Let them deal with LG after you're sorted.

Is it burn-in in your own case? If so, not a chance I'd pay a penny for a repair

Yeah that's what my question was hinting at and it's good that the poster will get the resolution they're entitled to. I would ask why it takes a customer posting here to have their consumer rights honoured but yet they were left frustrated when trying to get it resolved with them previously in a quieter more private manner? I know other companies still wouldn't budge and push a customer to the SCC so fair play to RS on that front but I'd still not exactly be celebrating their consumer focus - I mean had they resolved it initially, we wouldnt even be aware of the poster's story.

They were right in the first place as burn in isn't covered so can only assume whoever monitors here has made an exception for this customer which is all credit to RS.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom