OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

I just phoned the UK support number and they create a case and then ask you to send photo's to a whats app number and then wait 2 weeks for them to contact you. The number I used for LG was 0344 847 5454.
Thanks, I'll give that a try

Every time I see this thread pop up, it makes me dread the day I'll have to replace my 46W905. Even though it's now old tech and limited to 1080p, it produces a great image and is a great gaming panel with its low response time.

Every time I see this thread pop up, it makes me dread the day I'll have to replace my 46W905. Even though it's now old tech and limited to 1080p, it produces a great image and is a great gaming panel with its low response time.

If you're concerned about the risk, wouldn't you just replace it with another LCD ?

Hi all,

Sorry to ask again but just after any advise as i am really anxious now with having the 65inch screen replaced (LG charging £250) and they only give 3 mths warranty on the new screen, that's my only option from them from discussion on phone today, they stated its not a common issue even though it seems from the various forums it is especially on the B7V / 2017 oleds.

I cant see how it wont happen again? as I said i tried to be as careful as i could with the original screen that's now got lots of screen burn and vertical lines in it etc.

Is the only way to try to prevent it not having it on longer than 4 hours, not pausing it / muting it / watching any program with logo's as that seems unmanageable?
If the only option is to sell it once its had the new screen fitted are there any better oled options that won't suffer with the screen burn like this LG one?

Any help would be great.
J

Hi, all... Finally got an update from LG, they confirmed a panel fault rather than screen burn. But as I am out of the year warranty to replace it is going to cost me £200 (55" E6)... (That includes Courier, Parts & Labour - not sure about the warranty on the replacement).

Now I bought my TV yearly 4 years ago (next week actually) and the retailer included an additional 4 years after the manufacturers warranty through D&G and then an additional 2 years after that through the retailer....

Is it worth me now contacting D&G (as my warranty now rests with them) to try to get this through 'gratis' as part of the warranty?

Hi, all... Finally got an update from LG, they confirmed a panel fault rather than screen burn. But as I am out of the year warranty to replace it is going to cost me £200 (55" E6)... (That includes Courier, Parts & Labour - not sure about the warranty on the replacement).

Now I bought my TV yearly 4 years ago (next week actually) and the retailer included an additional 4 years after the manufacturers warranty through D&G and then an additional 2 years after that through the retailer....

Is it worth me now contacting D&G (as my warranty now rests with them) to try to get this through 'gratis' as part of the warranty?
I certainly would mate

Threads about burn-in are dead. Only unlucky 2016-2017 oled owners are here. That's good.

Warranty on the replacement is 3 months. They also only offer the discount price on the screen 1 time, if it happens again its the full cost!

They've confirmed it's a fault. Are they charging for that diagnosis and courier? I absolutely would not pay a penny for repair on top of that. Back to the retailer. LG have just proved that you've not damaged it so not only do you have a bit of time left on your shop warranty but you're absolutely covered by consumer rights for a potential small claims case (may be of questionable value after 4 years of use though)

I've had a reply from LG. Like @Dollydoodah they will replace the panel for £200. I'm thinking, if I go this route I will still have the remaining warranty from JL, and a TV that doesn't make everyone look ill.
I know I should pursue the issue with JL, but is it worth the hassle...?

I've had a reply from LG. Like @Dollydoodah they will replace the panel for £200. I'm thinking, if I go this route I will still have the remaining warranty from JL, and a TV that doesn't make everyone look ill.

Have you spoken to JL at all about it? Is it that much hassle? You have proof of fault from LG so that has removed all the hassle as far as I'm concerned.
My only query is whether this LG diagnosis has cost any money. If you don't let them repair, do you have to pay to have it shipped back? If so, then it may be easier/cost effective to let them at it.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if JL say the warranty if void due to an unauthorised repair or some such. In case of any potential future issue, if the repair is not on their system and they see the unit has been opened/parts changed etc. I can imagine that would be a great excuse for them to save some money.

Have you spoken to JL at all about it? Is it that much hassle? You have proof of fault from LG so that has removed all the hassle as far as I'm concerned.
My only query is whether this LG diagnosis has cost any money. If you don't let them repair, do you have to pay to have it shipped back? If so, then it may be easier/cost effective to let them at it.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if JL say the warranty if void due to an unauthorised repair or some such. In case of any potential future issue, if the repair is not on their system and they see the unit has been opened/parts changed etc. I can imagine that would be a great excuse for them to save some money.

Not really proof of a fault, just that LG are will to replace the panel at a cost as its out of the 1yr warranty.
No LG hasn't sent a tech around.
They haven't mentioned the repair process yet, will they send some round, or will it have to be sent away, etc..
I may go back to JL and see if they will assist with the cost. This was something the escalations hinted at.

Ahh I thought LG had the unit already.
Yeah, just talk to JL and to make life easier avoid mention of "burn", just the confirmed panel fault that LG confirmed.

End of the day it's up to you. Easiest solution may be to pay LG £200. As a stubborn git it's not the way I'd go but hey-ho. . .

Ahh I thought LG had the unit already.
Yeah, just talk to JL and to make life easier avoid mention of "burn", just the confirmed panel fault that LG confirmed.

End of the day it's up to you. Easiest solution may be to pay LG £200. As a stubborn git it's not the way I'd go but hey-ho. . .

JL had sent a tech out that said it was screen burn, GMB logo and F for freeview in TV guide. JL said "tough luck, burn in not covered, no further discussion, talk to LG, we may come to an agreement".
I suppose if I can keep the rest of the warranty and get JL to pay for some of the new panel, I'll go that route.

Do all brands offer the option of paying for a new panel in the event of burn in that isn’t covered under warranty?

If LG charges £200 id be curious to learn what other brands ask.

Not really proof of a fault, just that LG are will to replace the panel at a cost as its out of the 1yr warranty.
No LG hasn't sent a tech around.
They haven't mentioned the repair process yet, will they send some round, or will it have to be sent away, etc..
I may go back to JL and see if they will assist with the cost. This was something the escalations hinted at.
They will do in your house see

Hi further update on my OLED... (55" E6V)

I got in touch with D&G (after having the issue diagnosed by LG and the £200 replacement screen offered).
D&G had a technician come out and check the set over, he agreed the diagnosis that the Panel had a fault. I mentioned the £200 replacement offered by LG and he said he'd had numerous customers who had done this and the issue had returned again within 18 months, so they were no further forward in the long run. (he was conscious not to call it screen burn - referring to it as ' uneven pixel degradation')

He took the set away with him and basically said the chances are the set will be written off and replaced with new....

Now awaiting the tug of war with the insurance company over the value they are willing to cover....!

Last edited:
I'm guessing its probably because Dolldoodah's tech was good and didn't call the issue screen burn. Panel failed the same way a pump can fail on a washing machine.
Luck of the draw as to what the tech puts on the fault log

So what kind of policy is Dollydoodah using?

His TV is still under warranty, which looks to be provided or underwritten by D&G.

The £200 panel replacement offer seems to be a one-time thing that LG offer due to 'screen burn' not being covered by a standard warranty. If a technician diagnoses a panel fault of any description other than 'screen burn', then presumably any repairs or replacement are covered by the warranty without the need to take the LG offer.

Last edited:
My policy covers "mechanical or electrical breakdown, outside the supplier’s or manufacturer’s guarantee period".

The tech said (worryingly for 2016-17 OLED owners) that he'd never had what he'd call a regular stream of this kind of fault, but over the last 12 months he's dealt with this fault up to 2-3 times a week and 95% of them are 3 to 4 years old!!!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom