OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

The screensaver on my LG kicks in after half a minute when I use some apps, youtube, netflix but not iPlayer or if I pause a BD.
Strange as it kicks in for me on iPlayer. BD no as not an App because it is an input and this is where LG can definitely do a tweak but on another hand any input should it's own built in screensaver.

So we bought a LG OLED 55B7V back in 2017. It cost us £1400 from John Lewis. It hurts to even write that. I can't believe we paid so much for a telly. Anyway. In 2018 LG replaced the screen because a perfect rectangle had appeared in the middle of the screen. Looking back it was probably burn in but nobody mentioned that at the time.

Anyway, a few weeks of constantly watching TV during lockdown has resulted in our screen being a complete mess. There's an almost perfect 'good morning britain' logo in the corner, a 'LIVE' in the other corner, a Virgin logo and various lines and blotches all over the place.

The TV came with the standard 5 year JL warranty but they are refusing to do anything due to the burn-in clause in their warranty. Is it me, or does it seem unfair that a 1400 quid TV is almost unwatchable and nobody thinks they should sort this out. I feel totally swindled.

OLED's with Burn-In issues and Warranties with their clauses !!! The whole industry needs a serious overhaul !

Anyway. In 2018 LG replaced the screen because a perfect rectangle had appeared in the middle of the screen. Looking back it was probably burn in but nobody mentioned that at the time.

The rectangle is not burn in, it's a manufacturing mistake that LG are very aware of, although they won't admit to it. It was originally flagged to them by Rtings.

See the comment dated Week 11 (04/10/2018)

So we bought a LG OLED 55B7V back in 2017. It cost us £1400 from John Lewis. It hurts to even write that. I can't believe we paid so much for a telly. Anyway. In 2018 LG replaced the screen because a perfect rectangle had appeared in the middle of the screen. Looking back it was probably burn in but nobody mentioned that at the time.

Anyway, a few weeks of constantly watching TV during lockdown has resulted in our screen being a complete mess. There's an almost perfect 'good morning britain' logo in the corner, a 'LIVE' in the other corner, a Virgin logo and various lines and blotches all over the place.

The TV came with the standard 5 year JL warranty but they are refusing to do anything due to the burn-in clause in their warranty. Is it me, or does it seem unfair that a 1400 quid TV is almost unwatchable and nobody thinks they should sort this out. I feel totally swindled.
Its not burn in, its panel degradation,if you watch content with red,yellow,orange elements pixels/panel will burn out faster.

I wrote not long ago that after corona isolation i expect a mountin of destroyed oled panels because users are using them much more then usualy and panel degradation is muuch faster.

They're organic so the more you watch with fixed logos and patterns, especially without variety, the more those colours will degrade and the image retention aka burn in occurs. Manufacturers and warranties for oleds are very open about the lack of cover for image retention and for this reason I won't be getting one. Better to have top end LCD with a bit of blooming but no worries. The Samsung Q90r is the closest you'll get to an oled. Try one of those.

Peeking here and there into this huge thread, I could find lots of issues with LG, but only one with Panasonic.
But they use LG panels as well.
Wondering if it's only a matter of units sold, or the 'cleaning' cycle process on Panasonic is more effective in levelling the panel wear and eliminate IR.

Peeking here and there into this huge thread, I could find lots of issues with LG, but only one with Panasonic.
But they use LG panels as well.
Wondering if it's only a matter of units sold, or the 'cleaning' cycle process on Panasonic is more effective in levelling the panel wear and eliminate IR.
Nah I think it's because early on LG were the main people making oleds and everyone else is now just catching up with more models

For anyone who is concerned about the onset of burn in I have always checked my Oled with full color slides , but I have found that reducing the color saturation on these slides by around 50% shows burn in more obviously than normal which could be useful to catch it early . An example of this is I have mild burn in from a morning show that is not visible displaying a red screen but if I reduce saturation by about 50% it becomes clear enough to see all its detail.

Nah I think it's because early on LG were the main people making oleds and everyone else is now just catching up with more models
Lately i notice on forum more threads with oled models from others tv brands reporting panel degradation.
Self isolation greatly accelerated panel degradation time because users used TVs much more then before.

Lately i notice on forum more threads with oled models from others tv brands reporting panel degradation.
Self isolation greatly accelerated panel degradation time because users used TVs much more then before.
Yeah and I guess a lot of viewing would have been news channels .

Yeah and I guess a lot of viewing would have been news channels .
Its more about HDR and max temp of panel,heat is accelerating wear of pixels.
In any case corona didnt do a favor to LG display....

Try emailing JL CEO (ceoemails.com).

If you get no joy and you bought it with a Credit Card, file a section 75 claim with your card provider.

If not, your only other option is small claims court.

In all three cases your argument would be not fit for purpose. There's a few threads where people have detailed their arguments, so you can use those to form your own case.

The screensaver on my LG kicks in after half a minute when I use some apps, youtube, netflix but not iPlayer or if I pause a BD.

On my Panny the problem is Sky. If i'm watching a recording it reverts to the Home page and the preview box prevents the screensaver kicking in. So I have to be mindful not to wonder off when a recording is playing.

If its me or the wife watching, we just revert to live TV if we walk away. But if I've left something on for the kids I can't do that. Usually its ok, but sometimes when they're watching a series, if an episode is missing it will go to the home screen instead of playing the next available one. Fortunately they usually shout and my eldest (5y/o) already knows to press the backup button to exit the Home screen.

But its a worry none the less.

Just found some "burn in" how do I start the 2000 hour screen clean?

Just found some "burn in" how do I start the 2000 hour screen clean?
For a C7:-
9C2904E9-3E57-4BBD-B237-C3D184B0752A.png

Hi foxxes, 1st of all I had to go through on their technical number, they asked me to do various changes to my tv while they were listening, after about 30 mins of investigation they arranged for pickup and check ( because an engineer could not enter my house COVID -19 ) they came as arranged and I was left without a tv for about 1 week.
Then JL phoned back and said my old tv was unrepairable and offered a similar LG tv OR pay the extra for others sold by JL.
Not too sure but this may be the number 0345 610 0359 BUT please check first.

I just bought my first OLED from Philips. It's called 65OLED934.
Anyone knows if it has any counter measures to keep burn in chance at a low?

I just bought my first OLED from Philips. It's called 65OLED934.
Anyone knows if it has any counter measures to keep burn in chance at a low?
Dont play games with red,yelow,orange elements in HUD.
Dont use to much starting screen of Netflix app where is Netflix logo and that samll yelow square in bottom right corner,also be careful with Youtube logo.

Maybe there is some screensaver feature that detects that no button is pressed and nothing is played back?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom