OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Some great advise from Sony. Really?

"To avoid the possibility of burn-in consumers should avoid leaving static images on an OLED screen for long periods of time. For example leaving a video game paused onscreen for several hours or days," a Sony spokesperson said.

I think so!

It was more to do with your quote about LG making their TV's prone to IR with colour red.
That’s not what I meant, I don’t believe for a single minute they are prone to permanent IR by design. I just think it’s unfortunate the colour most likely to be affected is the one they use everywhere in WebOS.

Well it no longer functions as was when you purchased it,3d was a big feature so if they can't give you a 3d tv under warranty then a refund should be given. Quite a few people had full refunds after they could not source a 3d panel to repair it.
I'm now having to return my TV which is 3yrs old to Currys due to pixel degradation and they are collecting tomorrow. Just wondering if you have to return your stand as I have had my TV on the wall and can't find the stand anywhere. Will that be a problem?

Mine was taken away with no stand required. They take it away without it, wrap it in bubble wrap and then place it inside a cardboard box.

Mine was taken away with no stand required. They take it away without it, wrap it in bubble wrap and then place it inside a cardboard box.
Spot on cheers for that! I've been out in my shed on the rain looking through old stuff, absolutely no idea where I've put it. It's fine if they wrap it in bubble wrap and stick it in a box.

What do Samsung cover with their panel reassurance plan , just burn in ?
Product description Product code: 82452207
10-Year Screen Burn Warranty
Samsung are offering a 10 year screen burn warranty to all customers. This way, you’re covered – no matter what. Just register your TV here after you’ve set it up.

Product description Product code: 82452207
10-Year Screen Burn Warranty
Samsung are offering a 10 year screen burn warranty to all customers. This way, you’re covered – no matter what. Just register your TV here after you’ve set it up.

Remembering of course that LCD tech is inferior to OLED for picture quality.

Remembering of course that LCD tech is inferior to OLED for picture quality.
It can be better then micro led or tv tech from 2050....its irelevant,this tv panel tech is broken from design standpoint.
All this will explode to LG face in the end.

No it's not it is the same as every other flat panel tech, it just seems like a minority here think that.
Its organic tech so it has expiery date but that date is waaay shorther then what LG was sayn.

Just for the record....

My 55" LG B6 is still going strong and has not shown any signs of image retention, screen burn or any other fault. Had it for 3 years now.

Just for the record....

My 55" LG B6 is still going strong and has not shown any signs of image retention, screen burn or any other fault. Had it for 3 years now.
Its all depends how much you use it,panel temperature(HDR) what kind of content/colors on screen.
They dont degrade all at same speed,for some users could be 2.5y for others longer.
But you will get there.

Well I know they receive flak from some however I can’t fault Currys/Team KnowHow. Called them Mon to report screen burn on my 65C7. TV collected the following day and returned 4 days later with a new screen fitted. Great service.

Is there an easy way to figure out what model of screen has been fitted? - as in C7/8 or 9 as I’m concerned that it’s another 7 that will eventually suffer the same fate although I still have a over 2yrs left on the warranty.

Well I know they receive flak from some however I can’t fault Currys/Team KnowHow. Called them Mon to report screen burn on my 65C7. TV collected the following day and returned 4 days later with a new screen fitted. Great service.

Is there an easy way to figure out what model of screen has been fitted? - as in C7/8 or 9 as I’m concerned that it’s another 7 that will eventually suffer the same fate although I still have a over 2yrs left on the warranty.
Its wierd that they could fit new panel on 2017 series because here in Germany they told me like half year ago there is no more panels available for 2017 series.
In any case better solution would be that they give you 2020 series....maybe LG improved a bit new panels so they can last longer.

Do you know if you paid for that service or was it just the cover that came with the tv? I’ve started seeing more positive feedback about curry’s cs recently, and just wondering if that’s included in the ‘5 year extended guarantee’ or if it’s what I think they now call ‘care plan’?

Do you know if you paid for that service or was it just the cover that came with the tv? I’ve started seeing more positive feedback about curry’s cs recently, and just wondering if that’s included in the ‘5 year extended guarantee’ or if it’s what I think they now call ‘care plan’?
I had 2 panels replaced by Curry's for my old EF950V OLED on a pick up next day and drop back 4 days later service. The first panel was faulty (developed a line in first 4 weeks) and second was from PIR. This was all covered on the standard "5 year guarantee" included in price.

No I didn't pay any extra - it was the standard free 5yr guarantee

It's false advertising as it's 2 different technologies I have a q90 and a lgC9 and I do all my gaming on the oled and have had no issues
What OLED light setting are you using?

Some great advise from Sony. Really?

"To avoid the possibility of burn-in consumers should avoid leaving static images on an OLED screen for long periods of time. For example leaving a video game paused onscreen for several hours or days," a Sony spokesperson said.
The built in screensaver would come in handy on said paused screens just like on using any of the Apps after a few minutes of paused screen. Maybe LG need to do little Firmware tweaks to all their past and present sets.

Wow great work John Lewis, LG Oled was not repairable, so changed to Samsung Q70T.

Great service JL no problem at all, now have 10 Yr Panel cover from Samsung.
Just cost me £1 the difference between the LG new model and Q70T.
What are black levels like on the Samsung ?

Colours in general are as good as the Oled B6 but light backgrounds are a bit too white and washed out, all in all I personally prefer the Q70T, faster response times les motion blur, Wifi is twice as fast with TV in same location, no longer using a soundbar as sound is good in a 5m X 3.5m living room.
2 remote controls supplied as standard, never liked the Freesat tv guide with LG, Q70T in my opinion is a lot easy to understand and use.
Just found out
As the tv also has twin tuners for me using 2 satellite inputs and I have added a ssd disk can now watch 1 channel and record a second at the same time ( Apologies if you already new but I thought it was useful for potential buyers )

Last edited:
The built in screensaver would come in handy on said paused screens just like on using any of the Apps after a few minutes of paused screen. Maybe LG need to do little Firmware tweaks to all their past and present sets.
The screensaver on my LG kicks in after half a minute when I use some apps, youtube, netflix but not iPlayer or if I pause a BD.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom