OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Although I can't say for certain that this is not a "fault" of mine (as my wife does spend a LONG time scrolling through Netflix) I just wanted to let other E6 owners that I've managed to burn the Netflix logo into the bottom right of my screen.

As I just posted on another OLED thread, I've been saying that I thought OLED burn in was exaggerated and - as someone who has owned several plasmas since the early 2000s - I thought much less of an issue in the real world. It seems, however, that I was wrong and this is now a permanent reminder of my stupidity.

I've not been running on super high brightness settings (OLED light was probably a bit too high at 80) but it does appear this is permanent and, whilst not massively visible in normal viewing, it can be seen if you go looking for it and I'm only grateful that a) I caught it before it became a major issue and b) scope black bars will cover it completely (which is probably about 60-70% of the time)

I've never had any other issues with the panel and uniformity remains good (apart from one small section!) and just wanted to post this here to let others know that even if you are mixing content and using on relatively low brightness settings, it will happen over time.

Short version is that I'm massively pi55ed off, as I thought I'd always taken good care of my set and if I'd have known it was this easy to burn in an image, I'm not sure I would have bought an OLED when I did...main reason was that I wanted 3D and - as you can see from the picture - my set is going to be very difficult to replace due to the building work around it and the fact that it's embedded in a fabric wall which hides the front three speakers (will post details of my set up one day on the home cinemas thread!)View attachment 1251316

Feel ya pain mate, it's strange but when you think your safe it pops up out of the blue.. Have you done the big screen clean thing, can't remember what it's called on the LGS ?

Great set up by the way.

Although I can't say for certain that this is not a "fault" of mine (as my wife does spend a LONG time scrolling through Netflix) I just wanted to let other E6 owners that I've managed to burn the Netflix logo into the bottom right of my screen.

As I just posted on another OLED thread, I've been saying that I thought OLED burn in was exaggerated and - as someone who has owned several plasmas since the early 2000s - I thought much less of an issue in the real world. It seems, however, that I was wrong and this is now a permanent reminder of my stupidity.

I've not been running on super high brightness settings (OLED light was probably a bit too high at 80) but it does appear this is permanent and, whilst not massively visible in normal viewing, it can be seen if you go looking for it and I'm only grateful that a) I caught it before it became a major issue and b) scope black bars will cover it completely (which is probably about 60-70% of the time)

I've never had any other issues with the panel and uniformity remains good (apart from one small section!) and just wanted to post this here to let others know that even if you are mixing content and using on relatively low brightness settings, it will happen over time.

Short version is that I'm massively pi55ed off, as I thought I'd always taken good care of my set and if I'd have known it was this easy to burn in an image, I'm not sure I would have bought an OLED when I did...main reason was that I wanted 3D and - as you can see from the picture - my set is going to be very difficult to replace due to the building work around it and the fact that it's embedded in a fabric wall which hides the front three speakers (will post details of my set up one day on the home cinemas thread!)View attachment 1251316
Not good news pal , have you tried a pixel refresh the one that takes an hour ? It wonders for my set once .
The 6 series were the worst for screen burn in my opinion.

Not good news pal , have you tried a pixel refresh the one that takes an hour ? It wonders for my set once .
I to was babysitting the tv .but it's hard to do all the time as crazy as it sounds you forget and treat it as a tv .so 18 months in b7 good morning logo burnt it .and the mute button..I feel for people buying these tv with. I knowledge of what will happen and it's to late .no ones reads the receipt until they tell you it's not covered .

I to was babysitting the tv .but it's hard to do all the time as crazy as it sounds you forget and treat it as a tv .so 18 months in b7 good morning logo burnt it .and the mute button..I feel for people buying these tv with. I knowledge of what will happen and it's to late .no ones reads the receipt until they tell you it's not covered .
Yeah I've seen PIR from the mute button several times on here now it's just crazy .
The good morning Britain should be a bad one for sure yet after 3 hours a day for 2 and half years on c7 showed no signs of it at all go figure.
I only used expert darkroom presets with 40 oled light on that set which must be the reason.

Even though my panel was replaced due to,severe banding my sky recording tiles were visible on a red screen the engineer put on.They were very feint and I’d never seen them.It only took 12 months with Sky Q for that to happen.

this concerns me, although I don’t remember seeing much red or yellow in the Sky Q tiles to think it would be an issue. I do worry about the bar that comes up when fast forwarding through adverts.

Yes Jez I rewind loads instead of pausing and that bar worry’s me.
Parry don’t ever say your tv has no issues just keep it to yourself so so shhhhh.Im back on isf brightroom with Oled on 49 just because it sounds better than 50.I kept switching between the two and it did my eyes in so I’ve stuck with brightroom as it’s just a cleaner picture with my eyes and it seems sharper.On darkroom I lose detail in the shadows I can’t see faces and dark scenes are just too dark for me.Must be my old eyes and I do think I need glasses.

Just in case you dont know, with Sky Q you can use the left/right blue keys to skip a minute at a time.

Particularly useful for ads once you get to know how long they are. For example if a channel is running 5 mins ads, 5 taps and you've skipped it.

Also if you hold the left/right blue key it skips through much faster then rew/fwd @ 30x.

Personally I feel the reviewers of these Oleds have to take some responsibility, they hardly ever mention the risks in there reviews. They also don't give any real proper advise, it's almost like there payed off ...

It's just left to us all to fight it out ..lol.

Just in case you dont know, with Sky Q you can use the left/right blue keys to skip a minute at a time.

Particularly useful for ads once you get to know how long they are. For example if a channel is running 5 mins ads, 5 taps and you've skipped it.

Also if you hold the left/right blue key it skips through much faster then rew/fwd @ 30x.

Thanks, that's got to be better than fast forwarding!

You give OLEDs a review warning about burn in and that’s the last tv they send you.Also if it’s your living then also you don’t want to upset them either as that’s your income gone.

You give OLEDs a review warning about burn in and that’s the last tv they send you.Also if it’s your living then also you don’t want to upset them either as that’s your income gone.

Plus reviewers don't do long term reviews over a long enough period to experience any issues. They'll have the set for a relatively short period of time, write the review, get it published and it's onto the next item.

Like i wrote before,its irelevant how much you keep for example Netflix logo because is stacking.
If some elements on screen are red,yelow or orange thats it, just put that content enafe times on screen.

But in the end i dont care if thy replace my panel every time it happens or i got option for refund or new tv model.

Now i will have this options...thy replace panel if LG have them still or i pick new tv.If i will need to pick new tv i will take Q90R.....because i know if i take for example E/C9 it will happen again.

Plus reviewers don't do long term reviews over a long enough period to experience any issues. They'll have the set for a relatively short period of time, write the review, get it published and it's onto the next item.
On B6 and B7 i started to gat panel problems in range of 1.5-2 years so you are right,reviuwers cant experience this.

Hence i never truly trust reviewers, especially those so called experts someone keeps bringing into any debate.. I'm surprised he ain't pop in yet to comment on the last couple of burn in cases that popped up today..

Nothing to see, move along... The experts say..........

Lol.

Steve I think even he must lost for words with the rate these issues are turning up.Thats two today from a small,forum of people and it keeps growing.I feel you made the right decision going with a Panasonic

Steve I think even he must lost for words with the rate these issues are turning up.Thats two today from a small,forum of people and it keeps growing.I feel you made the right decision going with a Panasonic

I went with the panny because Iv read there panels are cleaner looking, no bending or tints....It's spot on footy is a joy to watch.

It's interesting that nearly all Burn in complaints are on LG models tho... But that could be because other brands haven't been out as long ?

Hence i never truly trust reviewers, especially those so called experts someone keeps bringing into any debate.. I'm surprised he ain't pop in yet to comment on the last couple of burn in cases that popped up today..

Nothing to see, move along... The experts say..........

Lol.
He is a troll, he will be back.

I have tried a few of the Youtube videos but haven't specifically run a pixel refresh, I'll try that and let you know - thanks

Feel ya pain mate, it's strange but when you think your safe it pops up out of the blue.. Have you done the big screen clean thing, can't remember what it's called on the LGS ?

Great set up by the way.

Thanks, although the set up experience is a little tainted by the fact that the TV will now be very expensive to replace. Will try the big clean a few times today and see if it has any effect...I am very doubtful 😭

Exactly, with plasmas I always thought that it was when the panel was new that it was most susceptible and - ignorantly as it turns out - I thought the same was true with OLED, so after a couple of years I thought I was 'safe' to just use it like a normal tv (which isn't that unrealistic an expectation, as it is actually a TV)

Still love the picture on this set but I can't see me buying another one after this experience

Thanks, although the set up experience is a little tainted by the fact that the TV will now be very expensive to replace. Will try the big clean a few times today and see if it has any effect...I am very doubtful 😭
You dont have warranty?

You dont have warranty?

Yes, I got a 7 year warranty from TPS but the TV is very tightly embedded in a fabric (acoustically transparent) wall, which would have to be completely replaced to take the TV out...so not sure it's worth the effort. Other factor is that I bought the E6 specifically for 3D, which is obviously not an option on newer sets.

Can it actually be repaired?

Yes, I got a 7 year warranty from TPS but the TV is very tightly embedded in a fabric (acoustically transparent) wall, which would have to be completely replaced to take the TV out...so not sure it's worth the effort. Other factor is that I bought the E6 specifically for 3D, which is obviously not an option on newer sets.

Can it actually be repaired?
For repairing burn in they replace panel but i m quite shoor there is no more panels for your model so thy can only give you back money or new TV model.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom