OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

It does me to. I just can't see how I've supposedly misused the tv by watching 30 minutes of a tv programme. Even if I watched the whole 2 hours 30 mins of it it still shouldn't have burnt in like this.

Team knowhow have said on the phone that it is a fault on the tv so they should be the ones to replace it.
BigDunc here is a reply from ITV to an email sent by another forum member with exactly the same burn in as yours.

“Thank you for your recent email.

All broadcasters use on-screen graphics and many channels, especially News and Sport stations, use static on-air captions which can remain in the same location for many hours. However, I have spoken to our technical team and they have confirmed that domestic equipment should not be affected by screen burn during normal operation if it is set up correctly.

We are transmitting a legal signal with levels within tolerance and we comply with EBU Recommendation R129 (Guidance on avoiding 'image retention' on displays). Our Graphics Designer and Graphics Supplier are experienced broadcast professionals and feel that our graphics are a good mix of clarity and unobtrusiveness whilst conforming to our event stylebook.

If you have any concerns you may like to reduce settings for contrast, brightness and colour to between 50 and 70%. However, I would advise you to contact the manufacturer of your TV directly if you require further information or advice.”

Thank you for that Vim Fuego.

I do think any sort of display panel should be able to handle a couple of hours day of static logos, no matter how bright or dim.
Fair enough if you watch news channels all day every day you will except issues.

Compared to an LG LG OLED the Panasonic OLED doesn't seem to have as many setting for pixel/panel care.
It only has panel maintenance.

In 26 months ownership and on its second panel already it definitely is a tv not fit for purpose.

Oh damn Currys WITH teamknowhow not covering it? Thats very very very bad!

Eitherway, you're covered by currys, not panasonic so you should never have phoned panny to begin with.

It is sad when the truth doesn’t matter anymore. We just have to create an argument to entertain ourselves.
Some people on AVForums are more interested in agitating people into an argument than the issue of clarifying OLED Burn In. Their main entertainment in life is arguing. These people really don't give a rats ass whether OLED Burn In is a significant problem or not.
This is the reason OLED Burn in is a huge topic on AVForums. It provides a place for people that love arguing to practice their favorite form of entertainment. The burn in issue of OLED TVs is insignificant and so when these AVForum members say it isn't insignificant they are able to arose people and create an argument.
There are people that have experienced burn in, but it gets blown way out of proportion by AVForum members that love to argue.

Last edited:
It is sad when the truth doesn’t matter anymore. We just have to create an argument to entertain ourselves.
Some people on AVForums are more interested in agitating people into an argument than the issue of clarifying OLED Burn In. Their main entertainment in life is arguing. These people really don't give a rats ass whether OLED Burn In is a significant problem or not.
This is the reason OLED Burn in is a huge topic on AVForums. It provides a place for people that love arguing to practice their favorite form of entertainment. The burn in issue of OLED TVs is insignificant and so when these AVForum members say it isn't insignificant they are able to arose people and create an argument.

No. Its a topic of conversation because users of the forum have suffered with burn in and have posted about it. There is clear evidence through this sub forum if you read.

If many users of LCD TVs had suffered with burn in who were members of this forum, they would have posted and spoke about it too. And it would be a huge topic on AV forums there too.

Its not a myth....

Attachments

• IMG_20200120_120122.jpg
    IMG_20200120_120122.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 141
Burn in is only insignificant to people who it never happens to but with the approx 260 people who have reported it happening on here it’s a very significant issue.
The proof of the above is on the main burn in poll.
Some people have there tvs on finance and we aren’t all blessed with money so it’s an insult to call burn in insignificant.A £2000 purchase is a major spend for the average person.For that money most would expect 5 years trouble free veiwing and more.The amount of hours shouldn’t come into it.To be fair if a tv can’t produce 25,000 hours of trouble free veiwing over five years then it’s not fit for purpose.
Also there shouldn’t be oh you’re can’t watch news channels or play games with static huds and don’t pause it or have channels on or black bar films.Its a tv and should be able to withstand being watched with any content.I think we give LG too much leeway on this forum.Lets hope later models last longer but already we have 8 2018 sets with burn in so I very much doubt it as the panels arent much differen.
Arent 2018 and 19 models the same panel and looks like 2020 will be the same but proper reviews will let us know.By the way I’ve not suffered burn in so I’m in no bias with the issue.
It makes me smile as it seems people with no burn in protect LG when really we should all stuck together with each other as it can happen to anyone.Then people with burn in get sort of told by the LG brigade to stop endlessly moaning as it’s an insignificant non issue.Come on everyone let’s be on the little guys side and stick together with each other.

Burn in is only insignificant to people who it never happens to but with the approx 260 people who have reported it happening on here it’s a very significant issue.
The proof of the above is on the main burn in poll.
Some people have there tvs on finance and we aren’t all blessed with money so it’s an insult to call burn in insignificant.A £2000 purchase is a major spend for the average person.For that money most would expect 5 years trouble free veiwing and more.The amount of hours shouldn’t come into it.To be fair if a tv can’t produce 25,000 hours of trouble free veiwing over five years then it’s not fit for purpose.
Also there shouldn’t be oh you’re can’t watch news channels or play games with static huds and don’t pause it or have channels on or black bar films.Its a tv and should be able to withstand being watched with any content.I think we give LG too much leeway on this forum.Lets hope later models last longer but already we have 8 2018 sets with burn in so I very much doubt it as the panels arent much differen.
Arent 2018 and 19 models the same panel and looks like 2020 will be the same but proper reviews will let us know.By the way I’ve not suffered burn in so I’m in no bias with the issue.
It makes me smile as it seems people with no burn in protect LG when really we should all stuck together with each other as it can happen to anyone.Then people with burn in get sort of told by the LG brigade to stop endlessly moaning as it’s an insignificant non issue.Come on everyone let’s be on the little guys side and stick together with each other.
25000 hours across 5 years = 13 and a half hours a day..... not what I’d call normal viewing habits, but I agree with the sentiment

There are people that have experienced burn in for them it isn't insignificant, but for the vast majority of OLED TV owners it is an insignificant issue.

OLED Burin In is blown way out of proportion by those who love to argue.
This is the reason OLED Burn in is a huge topic on AVForums. It provides a place for people that love arguing to practice their favorite form of entertainment. The burn in issue of OLED TVs is insignificant "for most people" and so when these AVForum members say it isn't insignificant "for most people" they are able to arose people and create an argument. An argument is what brings them pleasure not helping people with useful information.

As with all forums, you will hear far more negative comments than positive. If everyone on AVF with an OLED posted to say they had no burn in issues it would far outweigh any posting about burn in.

Mine is 2017 LG and it has no burn in at all, this is with watching Soccer Saturday for hours.

Last edited:
This is the reason OLED Burn in is a huge topic on AVForums. It provides a place for people that love arguing to practice their favorite form of entertainment.

Or it could just be that people (like me) who own LG OLED panels are concerned about how long it will be before they experience burn-in on their TVs. We know that it definitely happens, but nobody is sure of how often or if all units are equally prone to it.

There are people that have experienced burn in for them it isn't insignificant, but for the vast majority of OLED TV owners it is an insignificant issue.

OLED Burin In is blown way out of proportion by those who love to argue.
This is the reason OLED Burn in is a huge topic on AVForums. It provides a place for people that love arguing to practice their favorite form of entertainment. The burn in issue of OLED TVs is insignificant "for most people" and so when these AVForum members say it isn't insignificant "for most people" they are able to arose people and create an argument.

Once again, no.

It’s a huge issue on avforums because sadly some of our users have suffered with burn in and have posted about it. Therefore it prompts discussion.

It’s very similar to dse and banding on the lcd forum.

The more frequently it affects our users and retailers don’t help them fix it, the more often it will get discussed as they will understandably seek advice on how to proceed and try to get their money back or tv fixed.

Of course, it’s always insignificant to someone until it affects them. Most users aren’t arguing what proportion of people are affected (which you always try to veer the topic back to). They are interested in the treatment and service provided if it happens.

Like all trolls this 'unopinionated' troll is feeding off creating arguments and reactions. Simply ignore their posts.

Sagaris I purposely put the figure that high just to state a tv should be ok with no issues to be viewed for this amount of time.

LG installed 69 OLEDs at Incheon Airport in 2018 but after only 12 weeks they had permanent screen burn.These 2018 model OLEDs were replaced with lcd TVs with LG admitting they are susceptible to burn in.
They don’t state how many were changed but I’d guess all of them.The plonkers fitting OLEDs in an airport what were they thinking.Bet the airport never had to pay to replace them when clearly they were being misused

LG installed 69 OLEDs at Incheon Airport in 2018 but after only 12 weeks they had permanent screen burn.These 2018 model OLEDs were replaced with lcd TVs with LG admitting they are susceptible to burn in.
They don’t state how many were changed but I’d guess all of them.The plonkers fitting OLEDs in an airport what were they thinking.Bet the airport never had to pay to replace them when clearly they were being misused

Pretty sure the airport didnt pay for them in the first place :)

So LG give approx £140,000 worth of tvs away for free.Not very good business sense.
Id put money on it that the airport did pay for them but got a good deal.
Also not a good advertisement for OLED TVs showing burn in issues

5% (8/163) of the people with 2018 models who responded to the poll reported burn in. I'm not saying that's representative of the actual burn in rate. Hard to draw much from numbers that small.

Click on the 8 users that reported burn in on the 2018 panels in the poll and check their posts on the matter, I did and came to the conclusion that possibly one of them had a burn in issue but strongly suspect that none of them did.

So LG give approx £140,000 worth of tvs away for free.Not very good business sense.
Id put money on it that the airport did pay for them but got a good deal.
Also not a good advertisement for OLED TVs showing burn in issues

Airports and other mission critical providers tend to be very conservative (the debacle with the screens showing why). When you see relatively new tech go in, there's a good chance there was a major financial incentive. Often meaning they haven't paid for it, or its a condition of a much wider contract upon which they've secured an equivalent discount.

It can be good business sense for LG. Gives your product exposure. Essentially a marketing exercise.

BTW where do you get the £140k from?

Is there any reports on 2019 oled series burn in?...

Most users aren’t arguing what proportion of people are affected.
Sounds like we are finally in agreement. My whole point has been that burn in does happen (it is not a myth), but that it is a rare occurrence. When I quote the experts and Consumer Reports that agree with this statement you don’t argue with me.

We are finally in agreement. Let’s not see if we can turn this back into an argument now that we actually agree with one another and the experts.

For anyone that is interested in what the experts say, including Rtings.com, see post 205 on page 107.

Last edited:
Not sure how you can claim that if Rtings got burn-in on 5 TVs out of 6, and 9000 hours is very modest use time.

I have over 3,000 hours on mine after 13 or 14 months of ownership. At this rate I'll reach 9000 hours in less than 3 years. Admittedly, quite a few of those hours (maybe 10-20%) are with stuff paused and the fireworks screensaver running.

3 yrs in and my 55E6V has signs of pixel damage / wear (call it what you want).

Certainly not 'insignificant'

'Nick' is on a max of an hour a day and that isn't every day.

1579627626566.png

1579627669475.png

5 to 1 Incheon Airport had 69 OLED TVs installed so I did say an approx price.I rounded it up to 70 and estimated £2000 each tv if they were 65 inches which makes approx £140,000 at the retail price or a more as they actually were £2499 when released.
Why do you feel the need to doubt people as I can add up.
Remember I’m quoting full retail price but I’m fully aware they would get a good deal under an on going contract with LG but I am right about the price I quoted so appology accepted in advance 😁

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom