OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Parry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oled has only been used in mainstream home entertainment for a very short time and it's long term life span is yet to be seen .
There has been talk and fears of screen burn since they became available to the mass market in 2013 but has anyone actually got screen burn on there Oled TV ?
I have used and abused my Oled's for over 5 years and never seen any screen burn to date on my sets with mixed use and low brightness level of 35.

Is OLED the right choice for you?

Even though my experience with OLED has been great I don't think OLED is for everyone, if your a heavy news channel user or sports fan I would recommend you think twice about buying an OLED TV.
The red/ yellow banners on news and sports channels can and will in time cause permitted image retention.

If you own or have owned an OLED that had PRI ,BI SB could you share your story and photos if possible?

Update 1-3-21

We have our first 2018 C8 with permanent image retention.
Not good news as these newer panles have a larger red sub pixel to help again PIR, this set was only 2 years old.
Luckily the owners 5 years warranty with D n G did the right thing and replaced his set for a new one.

Thanks to @rongood for sharing his story.

Update 2-2-21

Perminant image retention could well be a thing of the past with new oled technology in the latest 2021 evo panels.

23-1-2020 update
I read a very interesting review on the new Panasonic oled model which uses cooling fans to reach well over 1000 nits plus helping limit perminate image retention.
Heat having an effect on SB/PIR is something I had never thought of over the years when trying to understand why some were getting SB/PIR easier than others .
It's been thought by many that using a lower oled light setting over a higher one would extend the time before it would happen but not for the reasons once thought .
It was thought each oled oled sub pixel which like a bucket on paint , one red, green,blue and white .
And each hour of consecutive use would in even use that paint unless the buckets run dry which show as permanent image retention.
If Panasonic are correct and cooling the panel does reduce PIR then in effect the paint in the buckets has not just been being used over concecutive acumalivite use but actually drying out when getting hot .
I find this very interesting and if proven true could be great news for the future of oled .

14-4-2018 update .

LG have confirmed last week to Ratings.com reviewers that there is indeed a variance between panels that makes some more susceptible to screen burn than others .
They are now also replacing or repairing panels with screen burn under warranty for the first 12 months .
They are also repairing 2017 sets with 25% calibration test pattern image retention for up to 5 years from date of purchase.

We have a member who has RTL channels logo burn in from 4 hours viewing a day , his tv was replaced as faulty but now his second is starting to show the same problem as he continues to watch RTL.

Another with burn in from yellow subtitles .

A guy that mostly watches HDR movies in 1.35.1 which has left image retention from the top and bottom black bars .
(This now seams to have been resolved by watching full screen content in between his films)

And the worst so far was from the sky news banner .

As warned by LG in there manual oled can get what they call sticking image , we know it as permanent image retention my theory so far is where some of the 4 coloured sub pixels that make up the WRGB pixel fade fast than less used ones in that pixel , bold coloured logo’s or banners left on screen for many hours at a time will wear the colour sub pixel and its luminance will drop leaving permanent image retention.

And that is sticking image ,screen burn, burn in or permanent image retention or what ever you like to call it .

Below is an example of this happening
These are photo form ratings screen burn test on a B6 oled tv .
Look at the top left logo

View attachment 929303
View attachment 929304

it's still not so clear as to what level of use they can stand before this sub pixel wear ,if your daily consists of viewing mainly sky news , sky sports , or other channels with a bold logo on or Gaming with HUDS on with or without HDR then your OLED could be at risk of burn in .
Using a higher oled light setting may also speed up pixel ageing problem.
OLED may not be your best choice of display technology if your a big sports fan who watchs mostly sky sports and sky sports news .
If that sounds like your viewing habits you may want to go with an LCD tv.

It may also be possible that some sets develop problems where the software does not function correctly in stopping the screen cycle to do its job.
( never turn off you oled at the wall it needs power to do a screen clear cycle when in Standby)

when some panels are manufactured something in that process can cause some panels to be more susceptible to Permanent image retention.

One thing is becoming clear Ex display OLED is a NO NO , screen burn on demo sets is very common .

Also the colour yellow within a channel logo or the sky news banner look to be a definite cause of PIR.

Some shared photos so far

View attachment 980234
View attachment 980235
View attachment 980236
View attachment 980237
View attachment 980238
View attachment 980239
View attachment 980240

Big thanks to @mad steve , @Shocked @Leander @Gary5779 @doug56hl for sharing there oled burn in nightmares .

PIR Prevention

MIX YOUR CONTENT!

USE A LOWER OLED LIGHT SETTING (50 or below)

If you really want to keep an eye on PIR download the free calibration disk from the link below , pop the file on to a usb and plug it in to your set .
Use the photo and video app on your tv to play the file .
Open colourHCFR fields folder then open 100% colour , test all 7 colours and look for any image retention of any kind .
If you were to do this once a month you would catch any damage in the early stages and then prevent It from causing Permanent damage by adjusting you viewing habits.

MP4-2c.7z

Latest news is a guy won a court case against LG for screen burn and got a full refund .
Other owners with screen burn on the sky tv forums have now had there tv repaired by LG under warranty.

IMO LG have been very silly not replace or repair these sets with screen burn from the start as there so small amounts of cases out there .

How will companies like Sony and Panasonic now deal with screen burn cases ?

LG OLED screen burn in issues - Page 20 - Sky Community

I also think some blame should be with Service providers , logos used to be much worse than they are now but over the years some more responsible service providers like BBC,channel 4 have dimmed there logos greatly .
Sky in the other hand clearly don’t care as sky news and sky news sports have the most harmful banners and logos to date .
There really is no need for brightness and boldness of there banners and logos , if they were to correct this we all could then enjoy the best picture quality available to day .

Ratings latest screen burn tests are on 6 C7 LG oled . Owning a c7 myself I’ll be watching this test closely, I do think it’s obvious which of the test will fail and which will be fine .

Real Life OLED Burn In Test on 6 TVs

LG have now stated they will cover screen burn for the first 12 months .

“LG offer screen burn repairs under there 12 manufacturing warranty if you have followed the process of running several screen cleans. However if you are now a year outside of said warranty your no longer able to get a free repair. If LG had deemed the tv was faulty and not been abused within 12 months LG would of replaced or repaired the tv”

Last edited:
:(:(
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sadly I seem to have it as you know... I'll post 2 pics, both taken a good few days apart... Iv had the oled 930v almost 2 years.. My viewing habits are mostly sky sports channels and gaming.. My screen burn area if you look at my pics looks like the sky sports news info top banner box.... Sky sports news is my main channel of use.. Look Arrington the bottom middle about 2" up.. :( Gutted.

Had mine for 16 months and watch a lot of news channels and kids tv for long periods. Never seen any kind of burn in. The dimming often cuts in on areas which are on the screen a lot, including the time on BBC news for example at the bottom of the screen.

Seen a galaxy s7 OLED in Curry's with burn all over it so much it looked like 3 screens

Seen a galaxy s7 OLED in Curry's with burn all over it so much it looked like 3 screens

They don't use screen clearing software on phones , my friends s5 had SB.
The software on LG oled clears the Image retention so it should not become screen burn .
Technically it's not the screen at all but the electronics that power each pixel that cause the IR

Last edited:
I never saw any sign of screenburn during the twenty months I owned my 930V despite watching lots of football with all the station logos that the sports channels insist on using. Have an E6 now and, so far, so good, no sign of any retention/screenburn.

Martin.

:(:(View attachment 770376 View attachment 770375 Sadly I seem to have it as you know... I'll post 2 pics, both taken a good few days apart... Iv had the oled 930v almost 2 years.. My viewing habits are mostly sky sports channels and gaming.. My screen burn area if you look at my pics looks like the sky sports news info top banner box.... Sky sports news is my main channel of use.. Look Arrington the bottom middle about 2" up.. :( Gutted.

Obvious question but you do leave it in standby when off?

No problem, just can't explain it ... never had any issues then up pops this..

What about this? This little burn in has been there since day one. It looks like a smudge..but it's not

Attachments

• IMG_4582.JPG
    IMG_4582.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 3,916
Anyone tried the dead pixel fixers on YouTube to fix this? I bought an ex display LG 55ef950v and it has their demo video text burned in.

It's been discontinued so can't get a replacement. I am still within 28 days so can get a refund but I really want the TV as the B6 is still too expensive and has no 3D.

Will report back with results.

Anyone tried the dead pixel fixers on YouTube to fix this? I bought an ex display LG 55ef950v and it has their demo video text burned in.

It's been discontinued so can't get a replacement. I am still within 28 days so can get a refund but I really want the TV as the B6 is still too expensive and has no 3D.

Try getting into the service menu and run a compensation cycle. You'll need a service remote (or a harmony). The main 950 thread should have info on getting into the service menu.

Call out , don't mention ex display and they may replace the screen

Currys offered me a replacement from another store but it had screen burn too. So the guy in customer service booked it in for a repair and said they would replace the screen under the warranty. Unfortunately the repair center called and said this isn't the case and LG wont send them a replacement panel for this reason so they are sending me it back tomorrow.

i guess my options are to try and fix it myself via service menu compensation cycle or try one of these pixel fixer/burn in videos on youtube, failing that take it back for a refund.

Parry who would the call out be from retailer or LG engineer?

Currys offered me a replacement from another store but it had screen burn too. So the guy in customer service booked it in for a repair and said they would replace the screen under the warranty. Unfortunately the repair center called and said this isn't the case and LG wont send them a replacement panel for this reason so they are sending me it back tomorrow.

i guess my options are to try and fix it myself via service menu compensation cycle or try one of these pixel fixer/burn in videos on youtube, failing that take it back for a refund.

Parry who would the call out be from retailer or LG engineer?

LG for first 12 months

Great i'll give them a call.

Searched for ages and cant find out how to get into the service menu. loads of people talking about it on owners thread but no one saying how to. I have a harmony home control remote ...

Great i'll give them a call.

Searched for ages and cant find out how to get into the service menu. loads of people talking about it on owners thread but no one saying how to. I have a harmony home control remote ...

I would not bother as it may void your warranty

LG wont send anyone out as its not covered under warranty. The guy said he rarely hears any customers complain about this, just really ex display models that suffer from it. Think its a combination of the stores cutting the power and not putting into standby to do the compensation/clean cycle and running demos with fixed logos/text on them.

They advised to put it in store mode run, that for 2hours then put it in standby and it should ask if you want to run a screen clean.

The clean cycle won't fix it... well it asnt mine. I've got an LG service remote and forced 5 cycle cleans in a row, no change.

Facing the fact that my 2 year old 930v as real screen burn. Just hoping my warranty covers this.

This just keeps getting worse and worse, Currys have lost my TV lol

I may just give up and get a refund and buy something else, won't be an oled though.....

Any recommendations?

I had noticed darker bands left and right on my LG 55EG910V after watching several Star Trek TOS episodes in a row. They became less noticeable after hours of watching 16:9 signals. But I can still notice those side bands in 5% gray test patterns.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom