OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Got a 65” LG B8 OLED about a month ago. Last night I realised a nice dark grey spot when showing grey images. Ran pixel refresher over night which seems to have cleared it. Turns out the TV currently gets an hour or two of early morning sun in one of the corners.

What’s worse is this is through modern UV- protected double glazing. It’s only mild early morning spring sun. It’s only for an hour or two! And it was wasn’t even on when the sun shined on it.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Unfortunately I don’t have the box anymore, otherwise I’d take it straight back.

Guess I either have to live in the dark, cover the TV every morning, just let the sun do it’s work and hope that pixel refresher keeps sorting it out, or sell the damn thing.

Fully aware of all the warnings about the sun, but I didn’t think it would be this extreme. These TVs should be sold for basement use only.
My tv also gets some direct sunlight on one corner of the screen when the suns out.
You don’t need the use the pixel refresh to removed the dark patch , just use the tv as normal and when it does it’s auto screen clear after 4 hours of tv viewing it will clear the problem area.
Luckily we don’t have that many sunny days in the uk lol , my c7 is 18 months old now and the sun has not cause any long team damage to date .

Got a 65” LG B8 OLED about a month ago. Last night I realised a nice dark grey spot when showing grey images. Ran pixel refresher over night which seems to have cleared it. Turns out the TV currently gets an hour or two of early morning sun in one of the corners.

What’s worse is this is through modern UV- protected double glazing. It’s only mild early morning spring sun. It’s only for an hour or two! And it was wasn’t even on when the sun shined on it.

Absolutely ridiculous.

Unfortunately I don’t have the box anymore, otherwise I’d take it straight back.

Guess I either have to live in the dark, cover the TV every morning, just let the sun do it’s work and hope that pixel refresher keeps sorting it out, or sell the damn thing.

Fully aware of all the warnings about the sun, but I didn’t think it would be this extreme. These TVs should be sold for basement use only.

As @Parry says, the automatic 7 min cycle that runs every fours once the set is put into standby will clear any issues.

It doesn't clear ''any issues'' that's just wrong. It could help to avoid certain static IR problems, but it can't avoid BI,

I was referring to the 'sunlight' issues that the member was experiencing.

Not screen burn. :lesson:

I got a nice little image retention on my 65E6V. My GF has been watching this morningshow for a couple of hours a day since our kid was born almost 8 months ago. Strange that image retention is a issue after so little viewing time.

Attachments

• 2019-02-24 09.46.15.jpg
    2019-02-24 09.46.15.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 170
As @Parry says, the automatic 7 min cycle that runs every fours once the set is put into standby will clear any issues.

So I shouldn’t worry too much about a bit of sun? I worry that over time the dark spots will become permanent!

Ok , managed to speak to Trading standards. They gave me a reference and told me to send out a standard letter to John Lewis giving them 14 days to respond. Interestingly they told me to enclose the email from John Lewis confirming that the TV has screen burn as my evidence that the TV is not of satisfactory evidence.

Don't think John Lewis will do anything really and that I will have to go down the route of small claims. As for building evidence to support my case, is not the fact that LG are now repairing TV's with screen burn within a year of purchase evidence init self that the TV is not of satisfactory condition.

Is everyone here sure these issues are screen burn and not stubourn IR?

Last edited:
Ok , managed to speak to Trading standards. They gave me a reference and told me to send out a standard letter to John Lewis giving them 14 days to respond. Interestingly they told me to enclose the email from John Lewis confirming that the TV has screen burn as my evidence that the TV is not of satisfactory evidence.

Don't think John Lewis will do anything really and that I will have to go down the route of small claims. As for building evidence to support my case, is not the fact that LG are now repairing TV's with screen burn within a year of purchase evidence init self that the TV is not of satisfactory condition.
Just follow the trading standards advice if I were you. Perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised, you never know! I think with these things common sense usually prevails

Just a thought around these TVs sunburn issue.
The TV knows what pixels are run for how long and at what brightness so the pixel refresh systems can reverse this by running alternative pixels to even wear out and remove IR.
The sun is external factor and the TV would not know which pixels wre affected so could not fix those marks.
Is this right or am I getting the system wrong?

Is everyone here sure these issues are screen burn and not stubourn IR?

Does it matter? How long does an image have to be ghosting on screen, ruining your viewing experience before it's deemed not acceptable? When your dropping £1000+ for this viewing experience, I would have very limited patience for such issues.

Yes it does. All TV's suffer IR. PDP's did but it was rarely permanent, could be stuborn to shift though. Also I am wondering what settings people are using (use the AVF tutorial videos for a starting point) as well as their viewing habbits (gaming for extended periods of time etc)?

Just a thought around these TVs sunburn issue.
The TV knows what pixels are run for how long and at what brightness so the pixel refresh systems can reverse this by running alternative pixels to even wear out and remove IR.
The sun is external factor and the TV would not know which pixels wre affected so could not fix those marks.
Is this right or am I getting the system wrong?
Your partly correct , what ever the effect the sun has is definitely correctable via the screen clear process or pixel refresh .
So the effect of the sun could well just have the same effect on the pixel as an electrical current does .
If so that could mean long team the sun burn could be come permanent, I’m getting on for a little sort of two years on my c7 and it shows no permanent issues as of yet .

Yes it does. All TV's suffer IR. PDP's did but it was rarely permanent, could be stuborn to shift though. Also I am wondering what settings people are using (use the AVF tutorial videos for a starting point) as well as their viewing habbits (gaming for extended periods of time etc)?
Any IR stubborn or not that’s visible on an oled will become permanent in time .
PDP are very different in this regard, I’ve seen a month old plasma screen with virgin tv menu burnt in to the screen which lasted for over a year yet 6 years on its not visible anymore as the whole screen has now burnt in to the same level .

Last edited:
Any IR stubborn or not that’s visible on an oled will become permanent in time .
PDP are very different in this regard, I’ve seen a month old plasma screen with virgin tv menu burnt in to the screen which lasted for over a year yet 6 years on its not visible anymore as the whole screen has now burnt in to the same level .

The operative word here is " can " it can be said that this is a warning but not a fact, so if the TV is being viewed using normal content using the correct settings permenent burn in should not be a problem.

The operative word here is " can " it can be said that this is a warning but not a fact, so if the TV is being viewed using normal content using the correct settings permenent burn in should not be a problem.

But how do you define normal content & correct settings?

No fixed hubs (gaming) etc for hour after hour. Use the TV's ISF modes for viewing, better still get it calibrated.

But it's been shown that it's not just "hour after hour" use that is the sole cause of burn/pixel wear, it's cumulative. So an hour a day of a particular program (GMB seems to be a favourite around these parts) will eventually see logos permanently on the screen. You can't tell somebody that they can't watch a normal TV show for an hour a day which is the epitome of normal viewing.

If It's an hour a day, then yes thats a problem, but also using correct settings will prevent IR.

I’ve been averaging 15-20 hours a week of HDR gaming for well over a 18 months now .
That’s oled light 100 and still no PIR from HUD’s and other on screen graphics like maps and player feeds.
There is still something very strange going on with some owners getting PIR after very little use in comparison.
One of the ratings tests showed IR on a one of the sets at an early stage in the tests , this set was one of the sets that had the visible IR from the factory calibration test pattern .
When LG visited ratings site they corrected this sets IR by re-uploading a new lookup table , LG said the set had been calibrated in factory too early in the manufacturing process as the panel had not cooled to the correct temperature .
I have seen many pictures of oled sets on here over the years from owners asking what this box was and why did they have it on there screens, most got replacements sets .
LG never offered to re-upload lookup tables for these sets but just panel or set replacement.
This was more than likely is down to the repair engineers not have the equipment or trainer to do lookup tables on site .
My guess is this problem still exists in the manufacturing process in one form or another
and that’s why we still see some sets IR that should not have occurred within the short period that they have .
The guy with the mute logo for one is I fine example because that should not have happened at all .

In my case that has proven to be very true pal , but others not so .
I think there is still problem in the manufacturing process that makes some sets very susceptible to IR and PIR

Last edited:
TV is booked in with Know How, I'll update my progress.

TV came back this evening with a new panel and also a fix for the stand which wasn't even broken! I'm presently away so can't test but will update on what it's like when I get home tomorrow eve. I certainly won't be watching SN anymore!!

I was in JOhn Lewis in Cardiff yesterday asking them about burn in. They say that their warranty covers it unless it is clearly the punters fault. They say they have never had an example of it and that their TV's have been on full brightness for a year non stop and have no signs. So according to them everything is hunkydory all of the time. At least that was what the boss said though I think the assistant may have had his fingers crossed behind his back. Maybe the boss missed the memo :)

TV came back this evening with a new panel and also a fix for the stand which wasn't even broken! I'm presently away so can't test but will update on what it's like when I get home tomorrow eve. I certainly won't be watching SN anymore!!
Excellent news. Clearly Currys is a good place to buy an OLED from ! Thanks for the update.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom