OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

You must have missed the part where it says it will go away after a moment of two as with most TVs ;)

I haven’t missed what you’re referring to (and badly paraphrasing) at all.

Unlike you, LG used the word “most”. What they say applies to most TVs. Your statement applies to all TVs.

That is, image retention for you is always of short duration, no matter which TV is being discussed - and this has more to do with your definition of “image retention” than the properties of any particular TV. For LG image retention is sometimes short-lived and sometimes more persistent.

So.....Currys picked up my TV on Thursday. Have had confirmation it's now at the repair hub so just waiting on the outcome. Pretty sure I know what will happen based on previous responses from here but will let you know anyway. Won't be letting this go if the outcome is not the desired one.

Just checked the Knowhow website and it shows that my TV repair is complete! Surprised, I rang Knowhow to ask what had been done and she mentioned that they had done a screen replacement and it has passed QA! TV is due back Wednesday so will report back. Hopefully the new screen is as uniform as the old as it was pretty good in terms of banding/uniformity out of the ones that have been seen on the 950 thread.

Will let you know!

View attachment 1101332 I’ve got a noticeable amount of screenburn on my E6 Oled. It can be distracting at times. Sky News, and Sky Sports News are the culprits. There are two faint lines near the bottom, along with a breaking news banner. Both are permanent.
Gutted for you. :( Is your set 18 months old, or is it closer to 2 years old? Can your retailer not offer you any kind of support?

The kind of wear you’ve pictured is what concerns me about gaming on an OLED, especially with HDR games.

Gutted for you. :( Is your set 18 months old, or is it closer to 2 years old? Can your retailer not offer you any kind of support?

The kind of wear you’ve pictured is what concerns me about gaming on an OLED, especially with HDR games.
Hi, it’s over 2 years old. It actually came on within a few months. I did a screenburn scan in July and there was very little there. I have a Q7 QLED in the bedroom and i’m considering moving it to the living room where I can enjoy watching these channels without the worry of screenburn.

Hi All,

UPDATE: So - Knowhow returned my 2015 EF950V to me today with a brand new screen! (screen protectors and all!) The image retention is gone (have checked with slides and on content) so that is fantastic. However, I would like your opinions on the new screen which I'm not very happy about. I've taken some pics @ 2, 5, and 10% Grey in dark conditions with my Galaxy S9+

Now, whilst there is little banding which is great you can clearly see a huge difference vertically in the shade on 50% of the screen vs the other 50%. 2% looks the worst but you can also make out the difference on the 5% and 10%. I've also posted pics of my old screen for comparison.

Admittedly, I've not checked too much real world content yet but the colour difference between the Left and Right halves of the screen looks huge:

Bearing in mind that this is a 2015 model what do you guys think? Should I look to send this back again?

Feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• 2% near black.jpg
    2% near black.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 300
  • New 5% grey.jpg
    New 5% grey.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 281
  • New 10% grey.jpg
    New 10% grey.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 281
  • old 5% grey.jpg
    old 5% grey.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 277
  • old 10% grey.jpg
    old 10% grey.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 270
You're in the wrong topic for that. My only advice would be, be happy that they have fixed it for you. Don't whine about a slight imperfection. Enjoy your new panel, till the burn-ins get back.

You're in the wrong topic for that. My only advice would be, be happy that they have fixed it for you. Don't whine about a slight imperfection. Enjoy your new panel, till the burn-ins get back.

I've posted a link to this post in the 950 thread. Apologies if I offended you with my 'whining' when I was trying to get opinions on whether the repair on my £3k TV was substandard or not.

I'm not going to be grateful to Currys for doing what I've paid for a warranty for in the first place. If anything, the screen looks worse than my original and so, minus burn in I'm potentially worse off than before hence my questions on here. How is it you know the imperfections are minor?

I'm happy the thing has come back in one piece after reading people's previous experiences RE knowhow repair but I'm going to make sure I'm no worse off than when I started.

Hi All,

UPDATE: So - Knowhow returned my 2015 EF950V to me today with a brand new screen! (screen protectors and all!) The image retention is gone (have checked with slides and on content) so that is fantastic. However, I would like your opinions on the new screen which I'm not very happy about. I've taken some pics @ 2, 5, and 10% Grey in dark conditions with my Galaxy S9+

Now, whilst there is little banding which is great you can clearly see a huge difference vertically in the shade on 50% of the screen vs the other 50%. 2% looks the worst but you can also make out the difference on the 5% and 10%. I've also posted pics of my old screen for comparison.

Admittedly, I've not checked too much real world content yet but the colour difference between the Left and Right halves of the screen looks huge:

Bearing in mind that this is a 2015 model what do you guys think? Should I look to send this back again?

Feedback appreciated.
If it is a brand new panel I would give it a while to 'settle in'. But if the vertical line is still there after, then if it was me I would not find it acceptable.

If it is a brand new panel I would give it a while to 'settle in'. But if the vertical line is still there after, then if it was me I would not find it acceptable.

Thanks Gary,

I'm thinking the same. Will look to put some settings in from here over the weekend to see if it makes any difference. Thanks for your reply!

Hi,

I had my Sony OLED A1 up or sale I did buy it from cash converters and the other week I left my tv on all day and when I return from work I did a colour pallet check and see I had screen burn, however this could of been there when I brought it from the shop and never noticed.

I have not brought Samsung 55” QLED Q9FN which shows a very god picture.

Ridd

Attachments

• 708FCBD9-ABBB-4036-92B6-D69A7600CAE2.jpeg
    708FCBD9-ABBB-4036-92B6-D69A7600CAE2.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 233
  • CFFE6A01-BB93-4287-986D-171EE4413815.jpeg
    CFFE6A01-BB93-4287-986D-171EE4413815.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 235
  • 275FBCBD-8ECB-485D-B04F-FE991549B331.jpeg
    275FBCBD-8ECB-485D-B04F-FE991549B331.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 250
  • 9C5AE88C-21E9-43A9-8CE5-6E658A716EB5.jpeg
    9C5AE88C-21E9-43A9-8CE5-6E658A716EB5.jpeg
    555.9 KB · Views: 236
I've posted a link to this post in the 950 thread. Apologies if I offended you with my 'whining' when I was trying to get opinions on whether the repair on my £3k TV was substandard or not.

I'm not going to be grateful to Currys for doing what I've paid for a warranty for in the first place. If anything, the screen looks worse than my original and so, minus burn in I'm potentially worse off than before hence my questions on here. How is it you know the imperfections are minor?

I'm happy the thing has come back in one piece after reading people's previous experiences RE knowhow repair but I'm going to make sure I'm no worse off than when I started.
Do you actually know that a brand new panel isn't free or cheap. They've fixed your burn in problems. Be gratefull for that. It's not a new TV and you did got a new TV panel. They can't demand from LG to produce a 100% banding free screen, that's impossible. If you're not happy with it that's fine. But they are not obligated to even swap your new panel for a new one. Just because you're not happy enough.

Do you actually know that a brand new panel isn't free or cheap. They've fixed your burn in problems. Be gratefull for that. It's not a new TV and you did got a new TV panel. They can't demand from LG to produce a 100% banding free screen, that's impossible. If you're not happy with it that's fine. But they are not obligated to even swap your new panel for a new one. Just because you're not happy enough.

Whether the new panel is free or not is irrelevant. They fixed the panel under a warranty which they provided within the purchase price of the product. Do you genuinely think that if they weren't obligated to fix it they would have spent the money to do so? Losing in small claims court seems to have softened their stance somewhat.

The point is that the panel that I've received is inferior to the one that was originally on there due to the colour difference in both 50% of the screen at near black and that is my main gripe.

I understand that panels are a bit of a lottery but that doesn't mean I have to accept a worse panel than the one I had simply because they did me some sort of favour by fixing it. Fixing the burn in but then introducing a colour variation does not constitute a fix in my book anyway.

It is an older TV but it is still within the 5 year warranty so again, is something they are responsible for putting right.

Hi All,

Feedback appreciated.
I think for the age of screen the vignetting was quite normal. Light banding at 5% acceptable

Hi All,

Feedback appreciated.
Have you got any actual real life content,because your slides that you put up are pretty crap,a 2% slide you should just be able to see it but yours is all blue and seems you have it on dynamic. And going by your old oled pics I don't see it being that much better considering I can see vignetting and the typical jailbar banding that blighted nearly all the 2015 oled sets.

You could try and send it back but to me I reckon they will just say 'within spec' . Well that's just by going by the poor slides you posted as they don't really tell you anything. Try posting real world content to get a better idea,but if your looking to get a perfect 2015 panel I will say you're gonna be out of luck.

Good luck anyway,but doubt LG or Currys would swap another panel just by going by the poor slides you've shown,think you really do need to show content showing the issues you see.:smashin:

Have you got any actual real life content,because your slides that you put up are pretty crap,a 2% slide you should just be able to see it but yours is all blue and seems you have it on dynamic. And going by your old oled pics I don't see it being that much better considering I can see vignetting and the typical jailbar banding that blighted nearly all the 2015 oled sets.

You could try and send it back but to me I reckon they will just say 'within spec' . Well that's just by going by the poor slides you posted as they don't really tell you anything. Try posting real world content to get a better idea,but if your looking to get a perfect 2015 panel I will say you're gonna be out of luck.

Good luck anyway,but doubt LG or Currys would swap another panel just by going by the poor slides you've shown,think you really do need to show content showing the issues you see.:smashin:

I'll try and post some real world stuff once the kids are in bed later. I took the shots in the dark with my S9 which obviously didn't handle them too well. I'll also try to take some 2% and 5% grey with a bit more light.

Interesting results. For those with varied content this seems like good news.

A year has passed already lol
Well no real surprises in the end , as most of us OLED owners have been saying all along mix your context to keep your OLED happy , don’t watch news channels all day!
No drop at all in brightness and no change to colour gamut was I bit of a surprise I would have expected a little luminance drop off .
OLED beat the LED in that department which was very suprising as the LED was dying after 5k hours which is not a great result for LED .
All in all for people who watch a normal mix of content like most falimly TV’s OLED is looking like best option .

With regards to burn-in concerns, is there any benefit to taking out accidental cover? Such as John Lewis' 5yr accidental cover for £120? I'd be content with paying that for sake of peace of mind.

Has anyone had any burn-in experience against accidental cover, from John Lewis or elsewhere, and how did this go?
I expect burn-in may well not be covered, but as the name suggests, it would be covered for an accident...

OLED’s is just not fit for normal purpose. I do find it funny that a technology that’s that flawed gets protected by so many excuses. Just looking at those panels makes you think how f. ridiculous it is.

OLED’s is just not fit for normal purpose. I do find it funny that a technology that’s that flawed gets protected by so many excuses. Just looking at those panels makes you think how f. ridiculous it is.
That depends how you define normal purpose. They are not fit for endless hours of news channels and the like for sure, but so far mine has been fit for everything I’ve thrown at it.
I’ll be the first to admit I’m wrong if it burns in the near future, but not a sign of anything yet. It’s at roughly 10000 hours use I think fwiw. I’m losing count of the number of 2000 hours cycles it’s done to be honest. :)

Lol seriously did you fast forward ratings video or something? What part of that detailed report and exstream testing did you not understand?
Normal tv use is not a news channel on all day long so yes the tests show that OLED tv is perfect for normal home use .

Lol seriously did you fast forward ratings video or something? What part of that detailed report and exstream testing did you not understand?
Normal tv use is not a news channel on all day long so yes the tests show that OLED tv is perfect for normal home use .
Did you not watched the video at all. What do you not understand. They have only tested the most intensive usage. Which clearly shows burn-ins. Normal usage have not been tested because it was to expensive to buy another couple of tv’s. the results of that are unknown, only guessing. Yet there are a lot of people on this forum and on other forums who do not watch news channels on their oled and still have panels with burn-ins. It’s funny that only the people who try to defend their own purchase and don’t have a burn-in are the ones who are the most hypocritical. Because they didn’t experienced it nobody should. That’s small thinking of some.

Did you not watched the video at all. What do you not understand. They have only tested the most intensive usage. Which clearly shows burn-ins. Normal usage have not been tested because it was to expensive to buy another couple of tv’s. the results of that are unknown, only guessing. Yet there are a lot of people on this forum and on other forums who do not watch news channels on their oled and still have panels with burn-ins. It’s funny that only the people who try to defend their own purchase and don’t have a burn-in are the ones who are the most hypocritical. Because they didn’t experienced it nobody should. That’s small thinking of some.
I say again you must of missed something in the video!! Live NBC channel test ? Did you not see that one ? That is 20 hours a day of mixed content on that test which obviously replicates normal tv use and shows no sign of burn in .

I say again you must of missed something in the video!! Live NBC channel test ? Did you not see that one ? That is 20 hours a day of mixed content on that test which obviously replicates normal tv use and shows no sign of burn in .
I say again did you not have seen that YouTube video at all. There is no normal usages being tested. They even declare it at the start of the video. The fact is a lot of people who got a burn-in on their oled don’t even do such things what have been showed on that video and still gets burn-ins. Those are facts, no assumptions which you do make on the other hand.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom