OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Just so we don't loose track.. Ritings lastest update. As been mentioned before.

Week 4 (02/22/2018): New uniformity photos have been updated. Uniformity issues are clearly visible on the 200 nits CNN TV in red and magenta slides (but not in normal content). This is unusual, as we would expect the maximum brightness CNN TV to show uniformity issues before the 200 nits CNN TV. The 18% window we used in January to measure the color gamut is also becoming more visible on this TV (and the FIFA 18 TV) as the weeks progress, even though we haven't displayed that 18% test pattern since January. We have contacted LG to understand why this is happening and will update this article as we obtain more information

I have done lots on calibrations on my oleds and my first oled 930 was my first calibration so I spent 8 once doing a calibration with test on screen all the time and it never showed and SB or IR.
I can only think of 3 reason to makes sense of it ,1 that the panel is defective or 2 the screen clearing software is not functioning correctly,3 the panel has always had this test pattern there from new as many oled owners have reported and posted pictures of previously.
I’m leaning towards 1 or 2 and 3 maybe a sign that 1 or 2 is correct.

Not beyond possibility, I mean is watching test patterns normal practise for most people?
Either i misunderstand something or you do:

The 18% window we used in January to measure the color gamut is also becoming more visible on this TV (and the FIFA 18 TV) as the weeks progress, even though we haven't displayed that 18% test pattern since January.
I believe this means they had the pattern on screen to do some measurements and then were done with it, they don't have the pattern on continously all the time, they aren't "watching it" as you put it. Even "common" people would put on test patterns when trying to fine-tune their TVs to see colors as they like.

I have done lots on calibrations on my oleds
Doesn't this also include displaying test patterns for the time of the calibration? But i suppose the calibartion process doesn't go on for days or weeks.

I misunderstood that then :) It read to me like they had it on for a prolonged period of time. If they didn't then I wonder why they have this issue.

Either i misunderstand something or you do:

I believe this means they had the pattern on screen to do some measurements and then were done with it, they don't have the pattern on continously all the time, they aren't "watching it" as you put it. Even "common" people would put on test patterns when trying to fine-tune their TVs to see colors as they like.

Doesn't this also include displaying test patterns for the time of the calibration? But i suppose the calibartion process doesn't go on for days or weeks.

“Doesn't this also include displaying test patterns for the time of the calibration? But i suppose the calibartion process doesn't go on for days or weeks”

Yes that’s my point I have had hours and hours of test patterns and never seen Sb or ir from test patterns , so something is very wrong with that set for it to still show ir from a test pattern they displayed for 20 mins to measure colour Gamut over a month ago .
Or the set has always had the ir of a test pattern from new , this is not the unheard of as there are members on here who also have the test pattern ir on there sets from new but have never had there sets calibrated .
LG calibrated these sets in factory and use the test patterns, why some have Sb/ir from this and others don’t god knows , again this could be down to a panel defect from manufacturing process or the screen clear software not working correctly .

Last edited:
Would be funny if the answer from LG was: "it's because you abused the sets". :D

That's pretty much the response I'm expecting from them ,that or they will offer to swop thise panels out lol..

Got a reply from LG..

As expected really, once 12 months is up your on your own. But sounds like you’ll need to prove you’ve not abused your tv in those 12 months first tho if you get burn in..,It’s a different tone from LG since I first reported tho..

see below for reply..

“Good morning Stephen,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this email. You have asked a few questions regarding image retention on your OLED display, you also asked do we have any advise on a time scale for how long a certain thing can be done or left on screen, sadly we can’t as this is effected by things like brightness and contrast and could be slightly different for everyone. As you are aware image retention can occur when a static image is left on screen for a prolonged period of time, how long is just impossible to gauge. This can be something like a news channels scrolling text or game HUD.

As a manufacturer LG offers a 12 month warranty for faults and breakdowns.

You mentioned the 5 year warranty you got with the tv from Currys and I believe the reason they are refusing repair is due to section B of the terms & conditions for their care plan.

Section B – What is not included? Point 6:

Repair or replacement of the Product which has been neglected, abused, misused, or damaged intentionally. You must take reasonable care of the Product.

Most retailers and manufacturers consider screen burn a neglect based fault and don’t cover it under the warranty.

LG offer screen burn repairs under our manufacturing warranty if you have followed the process of running several screen cleans. However you are now a year outside of said warranty. So your no longer able to get a free repair. If LG had deemed the tv was faulty and not been abused within 12 months LG would of replaced or repaired the tv.

I would advise checking with your warranty holder to see if screen burn is covered and if it mentions this anywhere in the contract you would have signed and agreed to.

If you do wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us on ************* or alternatively you can also reply to this email by clicking on the wish to reply to this.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

LG Electronics UK Help desk

----------------------------------

LG Customer Services

Mon-Sat 9am to 6pm

Closed bank holidays

www.lg.com/uk

You can even reach us via our Web Chat facility through the LG UK website”

I have 5 years on my B7 from german Media Markt.......

But does it cover screen burn ?
I dont know but on B6 i had one line of vertical banding wich was wisiblle on 20% gray test and i take picture and sand it to LG Germany directly to see what they will say,and they really fast send notice to Media Markt.de that i can bring B6 in and exchange it to another tv or got money refund and i take this B7.
So if i ever got screen burn i will contact LG.de and not store.....

Got a reply from LG..

As expected really, once 12 months is up your on your own. But sounds like you’ll need to prove you’ve not abused your tv in those 12 months first tho if you get burn in..,It’s a different tone from LG since I first reported tho..

see below for reply..

“Good morning Stephen,

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this email. You have asked a few questions regarding image retention on your OLED display, you also asked do we have any advise on a time scale for how long a certain thing can be done or left on screen, sadly we can’t as this is effected by things like brightness and contrast and could be slightly different for everyone. As you are aware image retention can occur when a static image is left on screen for a prolonged period of time, how long is just impossible to gauge. This can be something like a news channels scrolling text or game HUD.

You mentioned the 5 year warranty you got with the tv from Currys and I believe the reason they are refusing repair is due to section B of the terms & conditions for their care plan.

Repair or replacement of the Product which has been neglected, abused, misused, or damaged intentionally. You must take reasonable care of the Product.

Most retailers and manufacturers consider screen burn a neglect based fault and don’t cover it under the warranty.

LG offer screen burn repairs under our manufacturing warranty if you have followed the process of running several screen cleans. However you are now a year outside of said warranty. So your no longer able to get a free repair. If LG had deemed the tv was faulty and not been abused within 12 months LG would of replaced or repaired the tv.

I would advise checking with your warranty holder to see if screen burn is covered and if it mentions this anywhere in the contract you would have signed and agreed to.

If you do wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact us on ************* or alternatively you can also reply to this email by clicking on the wish to reply to this.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

LG Customer Services

Mon-Sat 9am to 6pm

Closed bank holidays

www.lg.com/uk

Except that is BS.

You have far longer than 12 months under the consumer protection it's just a little different in how you claim. Just get a report done independently and they still have to replace or repair it. This is with the retailer though who your contract is with.

Except that is BS.

You have far longer than 12 months under the consumer protection it's just a little different in how you claim. Just get a report done independently and they still have to replace or repair it. This is with the retailer though who your contract is with.
Ergo perhaps they aren’t talking BS ;)

Ergo perhaps they aren’t talking BS ;)
You can buy directly from manufacturers though sometimes such as Samsung sells on their site. I've seen them try and use warranty expired before on a faulty qled direct and once on a faulty phone.

The retailers terms are pretty much invalid if the manufacturer sees this as a fault in the first 12 months and the retailer calls it abuse after 12 months and under 5 years.

I'd say that email is proof that it's not abuse

I'd say that you have got quite a few things mixed up;
1. We were talking about LG as a manufacturer, so why draw a parallel with Samsung acting as a retailer.
2. The first 12 months, the abuse after 12 months and under 5 years are as far as I am aware actually totally meaningless and incorrect references to the law.
When commenting on such matters it is truly important to fully understand what the law says, what protections are inherent to it, and how that relates to manufacturers vs retailers warranties they may or may not offer.

I suggest it is best to look into one of the many consumer rights threads to get the clarity on those points.

I do agree with you, and well done picking up that point, that the line in the e-mail where LG state that they provide 12 months (Manufacturers) warranty against screen burn providing the cleaning cycles have run is very very interesting.

Considering that it is wholly reasonable to expect a TV to last longer than 12 months then it is odd that LG via that e-mail put a timelimit on such warranty repairs. One could deduct from that, that there is an inherent limitation in the product.

It would be useful to have that actually in real terms and conditions opposed to just an e-mail.

I do agree with you, and well done picking up that point, that the line in the e-mail where LG state that they provide 12 months (Manufacturers) warranty against screen burn providing the cleaning cycles have run is very very interesting.

Considering that it is wholly reasonable to expect a TV to last longer than 12 months then it is odd that LG via that e-mail put a timelimit on such warranty repairs. One could deduct from that, that there is an inherent limitation in the product.

It would be useful to have that actually in real terms and conditions opposed to just an e-mail.
Except they only provide a 12 month basic warranty for any TV Oled or otherwise...
LG Electronics | LG U.K.
Same as Sony, Panasonic, Samsung etc. One can't deduce they all have an inherent limitation in their TVs, merely that they provide a warranty duration compliant with their minimum legal obligations. No less, no more (except when they offer a free extended warranty rather than making you have to buy one).

While the EU 2 year directive (and the UK five and six years under SOGA/CRA) gives potentially longer coverage this is with the retailer not the manufacturer AFAIK. Two-year warranty loophole (EU law) | This is Money

On the other hand, as certain other goods made by the above manufacturers can come with longer warranties (LG 24 months for some items), I suppose it could be deduced that all TVs have inherent limitations and can't be expected to be as reliable as a much cheaper phone, tablet, washing machine or fridge freezer.. :(

But if LG is now officially saying burn is covered as long as the cleans have been run this is an improvement over their previous warranty T&Cs which excluded screen burn as many have mentioned on various threads here. As the Service Menu has a count of how many times these have run vs hours of use it would be hard for LG to say they haven't been run as required.

Unless of course you are like @Parry and have the TV on for 15 hours a day and haven't been turning it off every 4 hours...;)

Last edited:
Got a reply from LG..

see below for reply..

“Good morning Stephen,

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards

LG Customer Services

Mon-Sat 9am to 6pm

Closed bank holidays

www.lg.com/uk

Well that’s is an improvement on previous reply’s as they are now offering repairs within the first 12 months for SC .
This still doesn’t help you and your case but I would not give up get your ask for your complaint raised to a higher level and warn them that you will be taking the matter to small claims court .

Of OLEDs i had only B6 and B7 so my question is dose other models from Sony,Panasonic,Philips and so on have this automatic pixel cleaner cycles?Or this is only on LG oleds?....

Of OLEDs i had only B6 and B7 so my question is dose other models from Sony,Panasonic,Philips and so on have this automatic pixel cleaner cycles?Or this is only on LG oleds?....
It's on all of them, all the other oleds sold by Sony, Panasonic etc all have LG panels in them

It's on all of them, all the other oleds sold by Sony, Panasonic etc all have LG panels in them
Yes for panels i know but i didnt know is this some exlusive tech or not,so all models are the same in this way thats good.

Well that’s is an improvement on previous reply’s as they are now offering repairs within the first 12 months for SC .
This still doesn’t help you and your case but I would not give up get your ask for your complaint raised to a higher level and warn them that you will be taking the matter to small claims court .

It's does appear to be a change of stance, tho I must stress.. LG still need to confirm you haven't abused your tv before offering any repair with in the first 12 months..

I also replied to said email. Stating I'm looking at other options to get this sorted, small claims court being one.. Just waiting for reply again..

If LG state that screen burn is covered in the manufacturers warranty period, then I don't see how Currys or anyone else providing extended warranty can suddenly claim what is reasonable use from the manufacturer is no longer reasonable use on day 366 ... Watching TV and playing games one would hope cannot be deemed as unreasonable care, neglect or misuse by a court of law.

If LG state that screen burn is covered in the manufacturers warranty period, then I don't see how Currys or anyone else providing extended warranty can suddenly claim what is reasonable use from the manufacturer is no longer reasonable use on day 366 ... Watching TV and playing games one would hope cannot be deemed as unreasonable care, neglect or misuse by a court of law.

Very true as the 5 year warranty is supposed to just be an extension of the standard 12 months so should cover the same Faults .

Its interesting that LG are introducing a new Logo Luminance Adjustment setting for 2018 OLEDs. I wonder if the setting will be available on 2017 sets.

Setting up the OLED Screen

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom