OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Sorry if it's not the place for a question
But I wanted to buy a C2 55 but I'm really worried about burn-in!
I want to use 7-8-9-10 hours per day! I usually play video games(with hud) via PC or watch anime / movies with subtitles!!!!
Are new OLEDs like C2 are ok for this kind of usage or not?
Will it last for 5-6 years without burning?
(There is no warranty in my country at all for TVs!!!!!! don't ask how and why :) )

I want to use 7-8-9-10 hours per day! I usually play video games(with hud) via PC or watch anime / movies with subtitles!!!!
(There is no warranty in my country at all for TVs!!!!!! don't ask how and why :) )
no i would not suggest an OLED in your use case

no i would not suggest an OLED in your use case
It's funny the seller I know told me they sell x90j and C2 at the same price lol
I don't know why but LG TVs have better pricing than Sony and Samsung here....but unfortunately LG IPS TVs suck so I don't know what to do :(

With that heavy usage it won't last 5 years.
You can get problems after year

I would never ever buy a second hand OLED

I would only ever buy a second hand OLED for PC gaming.
Get 50-70% off RRP so if you do suffer a little bit of burn-in, its not the end of the world.

If I'm spending big money on an OLED, I'll have to go for LG G series as its the only one covered manufacturer wise with burn in.

A year and 2 days after I got my panel replaced for burn-in and it how has a black spot appear along the top edge. I think Ive had it with LG oldest they just aren't made to last. The technology was clearly rushed to market before it was ready.

A year and 2 days after I got my panel replaced for burn-in and it how has a black spot appear along the top edge. I think Ive had it with LG oldest they just aren't made to last. The technology was clearly rushed to market before it was ready.
I think you've just been unlucky, I've had in order
Lg ec930
Lg ef950
Lg e6
Panasonic ez952
Lg c9
Lg c1
The only one I've had to claim on under warranty was the Panasonic ez952 for developing lines down the screen.

You must Vary your Content ?
Playing Games 3-4 hours now and then should not Cause Burn In on the latest OLEDS
like CS or C2 or later .
Not that I play Every Day , Just now and Then , The Rest is Movies .

My CX is mainly used for gaming, I have 4-6 hour sessions usually, sometimes an hour or two.

I'll occasionally fall down a YouTube rabbit hole or watch a film.

Panel is nigh on perfect last time I checked at the last pixel refresh. When it does the next big one I'll check again.

Oled has only been used in mainstream home entertainment for a very short time and it's long term life span is yet to be seen .
There has been talk and fears of screen burn since they became available to the mass market in 2013 but has anyone actually got screen burn on there Oled TV ?
I have used and abused my Oled's for over 5 years and never seen any screen burn to date on my sets with mixed use and low brightness level of 35.

Is OLED the right choice for you?

Even though my experience with OLED has been great I don't think OLED is for everyone, if your a heavy news channel user or sports fan I would recommend you think twice about buying an OLED TV.
The red/ yellow banners on news and sports channels can and will in time cause permitted image retention.

If you own or have owned an OLED that had PRI ,BI SB could you share your story and photos if possible?

Update 1-3-21

We have our first 2018 C8 with permanent image retention.
Not good news as these newer panles have a larger red sub pixel to help again PIR, this set was only 2 years old.
Luckily the owners 5 years warranty with D n G did the right thing and replaced his set for a new one.

Thanks to @rongood for sharing his story.

Update 2-2-21

Perminant image retention could well be a thing of the past with new oled technology in the latest 2021 evo panels.

23-1-2020 update
I read a very interesting review on the new Panasonic oled model which uses cooling fans to reach well over 1000 nits plus helping limit perminate image retention.
Heat having an effect on SB/PIR is something I had never thought of over the years when trying to understand why some were getting SB/PIR easier than others .
It's been thought by many that using a lower oled light setting over a higher one would extend the time before it would happen but not for the reasons once thought .
It was thought each oled oled sub pixel which like a bucket on paint , one red, green,blue and white .
And each hour of consecutive use would in even use that paint unless the buckets run dry which show as permanent image retention.
If Panasonic are correct and cooling the panel does reduce PIR then in effect the paint in the buckets has not just been being used over concecutive acumalivite use but actually drying out when getting hot .
I find this very interesting and if proven true could be great news for the future of oled .

14-4-2018 update .

LG have confirmed last week to Ratings.com reviewers that there is indeed a variance between panels that makes some more susceptible to screen burn than others .
They are now also replacing or repairing panels with screen burn under warranty for the first 12 months .
They are also repairing 2017 sets with 25% calibration test pattern image retention for up to 5 years from date of purchase.

We have a member who has RTL channels logo burn in from 4 hours viewing a day , his tv was replaced as faulty but now his second is starting to show the same problem as he continues to watch RTL.

Another with burn in from yellow subtitles .

A guy that mostly watches HDR movies in 1.35.1 which has left image retention from the top and bottom black bars .
(This now seams to have been resolved by watching full screen content in between his films)

And the worst so far was from the sky news banner .

As warned by LG in there manual oled can get what they call sticking image , we know it as permanent image retention my theory so far is where some of the 4 coloured sub pixels that make up the WRGB pixel fade fast than less used ones in that pixel , bold coloured logo’s or banners left on screen for many hours at a time will wear the colour sub pixel and its luminance will drop leaving permanent image retention.

And that is sticking image ,screen burn, burn in or permanent image retention or what ever you like to call it .

Below is an example of this happening
These are photo form ratings screen burn test on a B6 oled tv .
Look at the top left logo

View attachment 929303
View attachment 929304

it's still not so clear as to what level of use they can stand before this sub pixel wear ,if your daily consists of viewing mainly sky news , sky sports , or other channels with a bold logo on or Gaming with HUDS on with or without HDR then your OLED could be at risk of burn in .
Using a higher oled light setting may also speed up pixel ageing problem.
OLED may not be your best choice of display technology if your a big sports fan who watchs mostly sky sports and sky sports news .
If that sounds like your viewing habits you may want to go with an LCD tv.

It may also be possible that some sets develop problems where the software does not function correctly in stopping the screen cycle to do its job.
( never turn off you oled at the wall it needs power to do a screen clear cycle when in Standby)

when some panels are manufactured something in that process can cause some panels to be more susceptible to Permanent image retention.

One thing is becoming clear Ex display OLED is a NO NO , screen burn on demo sets is very common .

Also the colour yellow within a channel logo or the sky news banner look to be a definite cause of PIR.

Some shared photos so far

View attachment 980234
View attachment 980235
View attachment 980236
View attachment 980237
View attachment 980238
View attachment 980239
View attachment 980240

Big thanks to @mad steve , @Shocked @Leander @Gary5779 @doug56hl for sharing there oled burn in nightmares .

PIR Prevention

MIX YOUR CONTENT!

USE A LOWER OLED LIGHT SETTING (50 or below)

If you really want to keep an eye on PIR download the free calibration disk from the link below , pop the file on to a usb and plug it in to your set .
Use the photo and video app on your tv to play the file .
Open colourHCFR fields folder then open 100% colour , test all 7 colours and look for any image retention of any kind .
If you were to do this once a month you would catch any damage in the early stages and then prevent It from causing Permanent damage by adjusting you viewing habits.

MP4-2c.7z

Latest news is a guy won a court case against LG for screen burn and got a full refund .
Other owners with screen burn on the sky tv forums have now had there tv repaired by LG under warranty.

IMO LG have been very silly not replace or repair these sets with screen burn from the start as there so small amounts of cases out there .

How will companies like Sony and Panasonic now deal with screen burn cases ?

LG OLED screen burn in issues - Page 20 - Sky Community

I also think some blame should be with Service providers , logos used to be much worse than they are now but over the years some more responsible service providers like BBC,channel 4 have dimmed there logos greatly .
Sky in the other hand clearly don’t care as sky news and sky news sports have the most harmful banners and logos to date .
There really is no need for brightness and boldness of there banners and logos , if they were to correct this we all could then enjoy the best picture quality available to day .

Ratings latest screen burn tests are on 6 C7 LG oled . Owning a c7 myself I’ll be watching this test closely, I do think it’s obvious which of the test will fail and which will be fine .

Real Life OLED Burn In Test on 6 TVs

LG have now stated they will cover screen burn for the first 12 months .

“LG offer screen burn repairs under there 12 manufacturing warranty if you have followed the process of running several screen cleans. However if you are now a year outside of said warranty your no longer able to get a free repair. If LG had deemed the tv was faulty and not been abused within 12 months LG would of replaced or repaired the tv”

And 2 years on ..... 🥴

LG 65” C7, six years on, 4,700 hours; no PIR
LG 77” C8, five years on, 8,800 hours; no PIR

Got screen burn on my 55EZ950 last year, bought it in 2018, and i have to say i still want an OLED pana as my next set but I dont trust OLED anymore. I have had numerous plasma from the old PW7 panel to a Pana V10 and never had burn or retention, but this pana OLED has turned my head towards a QN90B samsung, do i trade inky blacks for blooming ? well if screen burn is as easy to gain as i have seen then i really dont want another OLED.

Last edited:
Got screen burn on my 55EZ950 last year, bought it in 2018, and i have to say i still want an OLED pana as my next set but I dont trust OLED anymore. I have had numerous plasma from the old PW7 panel to a Pana V10 and never had burn or retention, but this pana OLED has turned my head towards a QN90B samsung, do i trade inky blacks for blooming ? well if screen burn is as easy to gain as i have seen then i really dont want another OLED.
There are high hopes for the new Pana MX950. It could be a proper successor to the DX902 which was the last proper LCD they made. . .which still matches up against any brand new Samsung. In your shoes I'd hold fire a few more weeks to see what happens

There are high hopes for the new Pana MX950. It could be a proper successor to the DX902 which was the last proper LCD they made. . .which still matches up against any brand new Samsung. In your shoes I'd hold fire a few more weeks to see what happens
Problem is i can get a 65inch qn90b for just under £1100 i i act now :(

Every technology is replete with problems now.

I note the RTings test of 6 OLED TVs resulted in all of them failing - all six developed permanent image retention. 100 are being tested now - I suspect at the end point of that test, the same problems will emerge.

QLED with FALD also has its problems - individual bulb failure resulting in dark spots on the screen.

Plain LED is slightly more reliable but, comparatively, very poor performance.

I run a Plasma and am very keen to move on to a newer technology, but there seems little prospect of the problems being ironed out.

I appreciate it took about 15 years for Plasma technology to begin to mature, and 20 for it to reach its peak.

And now Plasma is obsolete and very expensive to run as it draws a lot of electricity and can run quite hot.

That is true, however, my current plasma is 11 years old and still runs perfectly. It draws 190 watts from the wall - I have tested it - which is about twice what an OLED would draw. I calculated how long I would need to run an OLED for it to pay for itself with reduced energy consumption, and quickly realised it would be longer than the likely lifespan of any OLED panel, so did not bother.

That is true, however, my current plasma is 11 years old and still runs perfectly. It draws 190 watts from the wall - I have tested it - which is about twice what an OLED would draw. I calculated how long I would need to run an OLED for it to pay for itself with reduced energy consumption, and quickly realised it would be longer than the likely lifespan of any OLED panel, so did not bother.
The cost of a new TV is irrelevant. What you are doing with your plasma TV is harming the environment. Do you care?

The cost of a new TV is irrelevant. What you are doing with your plasma TV is harming the environment. Do you care?

If you want to get into a protracted debate about green energy, we can do that and I am pretty confident I know rather more than you do about it.

However, I assume you have factored in that all OLED screens are manufactured on the other side of the world, there is a very significant energy price tag associated with its construction, and it must then be shipped to you here in the UK. Plus, to the extent that the OLED has a short lifespan - and, so far, the vast majority are proven to have short lifespans - you will need to engage in that indulgence, over and over again, every few years.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom