OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

BillRawles

i thought they'd fixed the burn in issues on the 2018 and later oleds?. i was thinking getting a Sony a8.
Ha, nope. They've made changes in the hope it'll reduce pixel wear. The very nature of self emissive WRGB OLED means they can't actually "fix" it - it's really just an effort to get a decent life span out of them which right now they don't have in my opinion. It's just too soon to know how well the 2018 and later models fare.

BillRawles

Thanks, I think they may put up least resistance if I push the half/half fault more, it shouldn't be doing that, the pixel wear would be more of a battle but one I should win, especially as the warranty makes no mention of OLED "burn" not being covered.

I'm getting some people saying go via the retailer and some saying go to D&G so still not quite sure what's the best way forward.
There are two separate things at play here. Your consumer rights (contract of sale) and the manufacturers warranty are completely non-related. Did you ever hear the idea that "any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights" when back in school?

The path of least resistance could well be your D&G warranty but if they get a sniff of "burn-in", there is a chance that this warranty will be void. No real harm as again, this has nothing to do with your consumer rights.

Your contract of sale is between you and the retailer. Under the sale of goods act (which has changed names but remains fundamentally the same) an item purchased must be fit for purpose and reasonably durable (these are intentionally vague by the way). So, a £1500 TV that breaks itself performing it's sole duty inside 4-5 years is neither of those things. It's not even up for debate, slam dunk at the small claims court - they may take into account the number of years use you got from the item so don't expect a full refund but it can happen. The pain with this path is that you may need an engineers report (it just has to show you didn't physically break it). It also takes time and costs a bit of money before you get anything back. Obviously it only goes this far if the retailer wants to play silly buggers and decides to deny their contractual obligations of providing one of the 3 Rs (repair, replace, refund).

adamcarvell

Maybe I should reconsider the a8 oled and go for the Sony 950 led instead

NorvernRob

Distinguished Member
So you had a C8 with burn in from news banner? How much usage you do to get that? Are we beginning to see the C8-9s with burn in now after 2-3 years!!!!

It would be interesting to know what settings the TV’s were on and what viewing habits were like on these newer OLEDs with burn in. It would also help people in future possibly avoid it.

I’ve had my C8 around 18 months, probably around 2,500hrs viewing (the pixel refresher ran for the first time a few months ago) and there’s not a hint of anything. I always said I’d never look for problems but I couldn’t resist today after reading in here again, I didn’t expect to find anything though and didn’t. I‘m not particularly careful and my wife certainly isn’t, programs are often left on pause for 15-20+ minutes and I game on it too.

The vast majority of my non-HDR viewing is done on the dark room setting with the OLED light on 32, I find that plenty good enough even in the daytime, though on bright days I do use the bright room setting with the OLED light on 60.

Last edited:

Haniyyah

I had 3200 hours on my C9 in 13 months with plenty gaming with oled light on 70 in game mode and plenty HDR gaming default settings. I watch normal tv with ISF Dark Mode oled light about 35-40. Very rarely used bright mode. No problems just some dead pixels after 13 months hence a new panel fitted in Jan 2021 and that I got calibrated in Feb so I look at it like this, I got another fresh start to abuse it 😎

tobby

Standard Member
I had 3200 hours on my C9 in 13 months with plenty gaming with oled light on 70 in game mode and plenty HDR gaming default settings. I watch normal tv with ISF Dark Mode oled light about 35-40. Very rarely used bright mode. No problems just some dead pixels after 13 months hence a new panel fitted in Jan 2021 and that I got calibrated in Feb so I look at it like this, I got another fresh start to abuse it 😎
you are not abusing it....you are using it for heavens sake !!

GT One

Yes under sale of goods your contract is with the retailer and I was advised that there are people who have won under Fit for purpose criteria regardless of warranties in Small Claims Courts. I am no expert in this area but there is help out there which I received at the time my OLED failed. In the end my retailer RS were fine but they did initially try to hand me off to LG.
Precisely, the retailer owned the product when it was sold so is liable for any repairs or exchanges, not the manufacturer, retailers who use arguably spurious warranty small print to avoid their obligation to supply a product fit for purpose can if they choose make life difficult for the consumer, some may even go through the process of the small claims court as well.
The consumer watchdogs do not help much as without some class action and funding for court cases they are toothless Tigers, and retailers know this, nothing much positive will happen as far as consumer rights is concerned until retailers and suppliers have their warranty obligations enforced upon them by law with some fines attached for failing to do so, then the manufacturers will need to think harder about the quality of the products they sell before releasing them for retail sale.
Whether this will happen or not is debatable as a lot of vested interest is involved for various industries, products will get very expensive with stricter warranty laws enforced, so I guess having knowledge is being forewarned and those prepared to fight for their rights could win, but obviously many will just be influenced by pressure from retailers and lose money.

tobby

Standard Member
I was advised to check out Alternative Disputes Resolution (ADR) as an alternative to the small courts route, which looked promising at the time...but as I have said it never became necessary

adamcarvell

I’ve had an email today LG are sending me a replacement bx for my b6 but thinking of swapping for a Sony

adamcarvell

How the Sony h950 ? Or the Sony a8

adamcarvell

That’s the one I’ve been looking at what are the viewing angles like ?

adamcarvell

I bought mine from richer sounds who have been fantastic.

adamcarvell

How about the android tv on the Sony I know LG is good (it’s the picture quality and longevity I want really).

tobby

Standard Member
How about the android tv on the Sony I know LG is good (it’s the picture quality and longevity I want really).
Well the picture quality is fantastic, RS gave me another five year warranty. Android is fast and responsive but I dont really use the apps so not really able to comment on that side of things

BillRawles

I'm actually loving Android TV. I've heard horror stories for the last few years but now apparently TV hardware is at a point to provide enough resources to make it a good experience. It still has the odd bug though e.g. once every 2 weeks or so wifi will stop working, a quick reboot solves it.

adamcarvell

the Sony warranty is free for five years ? or was it a richer sounds one

tobby

Standard Member
the Sony warranty is free for five years ? or was it a richer sounds one
Should have said 6 years, I think its Sony for the 5 and RS for the additional one but as you will know if anything goes wrong you just contact RS and they sort it out, or at least they have done in the past I have bought stuff of them for many years and they have been very good even with Screen Burn in the end

adamcarvell

basically if i want to watch moring news either bbc or itv that has a logo an oled will get burnt over time the led won't.

Last edited:

arenaman

There are two separate things at play here. Your consumer rights (contract of sale) and the manufacturers warranty are completely non-related. Did you ever hear the idea that "any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights" when back in school?

The path of least resistance could well be your D&G warranty but if they get a sniff of "burn-in", there is a chance that this warranty will be void. No real harm as again, this has nothing to do with your consumer rights.

Your contract of sale is between you and the retailer. Under the sale of goods act (which has changed names but remains fundamentally the same) an item purchased must be fit for purpose and reasonably durable (these are intentionally vague by the way). So, a £1500 TV that breaks itself performing it's sole duty inside 4-5 years is neither of those things. It's not even up for debate, slam dunk at the small claims court - they may take into account the number of years use you got from the item so don't expect a full refund but it can happen. The pain with this path is that you may need an engineers report (it just has to show you didn't physically break it). It also takes time and costs a bit of money before you get anything back. Obviously it only goes this far if the retailer wants to play silly buggers and decides to deny their contractual obligations of providing one of the 3 Rs (repair, replace, refund).

Thanks for that, it makes things a lot clearer, I knew there was a couple of options. I'll probably try the warranty route first then but let the retailer know I may pursue this as unfit for purpose if I get any resistance from D&G. Their warranty makes no mention of OLED or burn just plasma/LCD and image retention

cillosoft

My experience, I have got an LG b7 65" since 2017, after 10 months I had severe burn-n in all over, LG replaced the panel via the warranty, after another 12 months, even the new panel developed a very bad burn-in in all over. last month I have managed to contact currys knowhow that with my surprise have been fantastic, the have replaced the panel again within 7 days, also they have given me an updated versions of it (I presume is a 2019 model), and the have replaced the power supply board too as part of an LG call back. Also I have been researching a lot and I have found out that oled burn in is mainly due to heath on the panel, in my case the power board was dissipating too much heath, making the panel hot too, under that conditions the organic elements of the oled become more delicate and they can alter their status forever. So if your panel has got burn in , is not really because you are unlucky, is because of heath. I hope this helps others.
Key points:
  • Oled is still the best view experience money can buy
  • Oled is delicate
  • buy an extended warranty
  • do not cook your tv under the sunlight or other forms of heath
  • currys knowhow team will replace the screen with burn in if you have the extended warranty.

frank20

That’s mine picked up by LG’s courier for screen replacement for £250. Hopefully back in a couple of weeks or so. plan to keep it until later in year and then sell it on here etc and replace with a new Philips 65 oled with ambilight.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Paradigm launches Founder speaker series
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 3rd March 2021