OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

tobby

Standard Member
My friend works for LG and he said this :

All Models before 2018 have a high risk of Burn In because Oled Red Subpixel wasn't that advanced back then. LG managed to double the Red Subpixel on 2018 , making 2018 Models hard to burn in ( Twice as hard as the C6 or C7) . On 2019 they further increased the Size of Red Subpixel about 50% while also increasing the other Subpixel. 2020 they further increased the Subpixel but not by much , but they tried to reduce a little bit of Brightness , that's why cx is a little dimmer then C9 and C8.

He also says the CX is so hard to burn it , that he is also using it as a PC Monitor.

2021 will be another big step , similar to 2017 to 2018 because there will be a a new Pixel Matrix with layers. That's why LG could increase the Brightness without worrying about Burn in
If thats the case why is it still excluded from all OLED manufacturers warranties, and why dont LG acknowledge this "high risk " rather than some ones friend who works for them....lots of pigs flying around this morning !!

wongataa

It's not necessarily a warranty. Its standard consumer rights. Under the sale of goods act, an item must be fit for purpose and reasonably durable. An expensive TV that breaks itself from simply being watched contravenes this so these OLED cases are slam dunks if only people remembered what they learned in school.
The 5/6 year warranty mention is a Richer Sounds warranty. This is separate from your consumer rights.

adamcarvell

are the 2020 oled just as suseptical to screen burn or was it the earlier ones or too soon to tell.
and Sony oleds do they suffer the same burn in problem,

Last edited:

GT One

Oh yeah, we know they've changed the sub pixel structure over the years to try fix this issue. Yet they also deny the issue exists and blame the user. For want of a more impolite way if saying it, they're being a smidge dishonest and I'd think long and hard before they get a penny from me. I worked in phones in a previous life and LG made the worst pos we stocked, we actively told staff not to sell them in the end. I cant say they've done much in the last decade raise my opinion of them.
Interesting comment, I'm sure quite a few consumers remember GoldStar before they became LG, I certainly do, it was the luck of a draw if you bought yourself a GoldStar product that will last longer than three years. In my case I had three VCR's one new purchase and two replacements and all had the same fault, I never bought a GoldStar product again after that.
Perhaps unfairly I guess as LG have worked hard making their company as big as it is and some people do like LG washing machines for some reason, but I have avoided LG ever since, and their OLED in particular,especially if it does not have a written burn-in warranty, LG are being far too tricky and ambiguous regarding the consumers statutory rights and burn in for my taste and there are plenty of other good products out there.

adamcarvell

This is from richer sounds so now which tv do I get my current warranty runs out on December 2022. Do I get the LG cx55 for extra £100 under that warranty or get a Sony and start there warranty of five years?

I think the fairest thing to do then would be to give you a credit of the retail value of the BX6 as a gesture and you can use that against whichever TV you want.

We wouldn’t start the warranty again but could roll it over onto whichever screen you buy. It’s worth noting that Sony offer a 5 year guarantee with any new purchase which you would qualify for.
Have to add richer sounds have been fantastic. I’ve got to decide led or oled I’ve decided 65 inch then it’s LG or Sony.
LG 65bx or LG65 cx both oled
Sony 65 950 led or Sony 65 A8 oled

Last edited:

AVYoda

Standard Member
Well..after a lot of back and forth with Richer Sounds I have now had my 2017 LG 65Inch screen burned OLED replaced with a Sony XH9505 and a basic Yamaha Amp (no cost to me). Very pleased with Richer Sounds. Separately I have purchased a 4K projector to maintain 3D functionality.

The Sony XH9505 is just fine. No it's not as good as my old OLED but I just could not bring myself to live with OLED again. Apparently peace of mind does trump PQ for me! The Sony XH9505 is a whole lot better than my older LG LED...hardly any blooming and very nice interface. Can't get away from it though...OLED is in a different league.

Looking forward to Micro LED in the future to get all those OLED benefits without the screen burn. No more projector just one huge 8K perfect picture. OK...that may be way off!!! Hopefully 3D will make a comeback by then too!

Last edited:

c__w

Interesting comment, I'm sure quite a few consumers remember GoldStar before they became LG, I certainly do, it was the luck of a draw if you bought yourself a GoldStar product that will last longer than three years. In my case I had three VCR's one new purchase and two replacements and all had the same fault, I never bought a GoldStar product again after that.
Perhaps unfairly I guess as LG have worked hard making their company as big as it is and some people do like LG washing machines for some reason, but I have avoided LG ever since, and their OLED in particular,especially if it does not have a written burn-in warranty, LG are being far too tricky and ambiguous regarding the consumers statutory rights and burn in for my taste and there are plenty of other good products out there.

I would say LG have very successfully rebranded the company from Lucky Goldstar and have a good image and reputation especially for their home appliance range which are pretty much all premium items, and like Sasmung they don't tend to cater for budget end of Washers or Fridge Freezers etc.

For OLED TVs the wearing of pixels is just a technicaly limitation of "organic" OLED technology, so burn in (or burn out) will happen as the TV is used; how quickly this happens I'm not sure and new versions will likely have better specs to reduce this. Sony, Philips and Panasonic are queuing up to buy LG panels, so we have to give LG/Display a nod for investing in the manufacture of this technology where even giants like Sony and Panasonic haven't, and not only that they are willing to buy from a rival firm!

mikej

Looking forward to Micro LED in the future to get all those OLED benefits without the screen burn.

Back in the plasma days, I seem to remember OLED being touted as the way to get the same benefits as plasma, but without the image retention and screen burn problems... :D

AVYoda

Standard Member
Back in the plasma days, I seem to remember OLED being touted as the way to get the same benefits as plasma, but without the image retention and screen burn problems... :D

Ha! Yes you are right there. I avoided Plasma like the plague and then fell for OLED! I’ll wait it out this time. So I’m looking at about 2035 then 😱.

adamcarvell

next TV would you all buy an oled again or go to led?./

ado

Typed my warranty number after 10 days into the lg warranty website and it said repair completed so waited 2 days and heard nothing. Sent an email and the reply was yes it looks like its repaired there probably waiting for the delivery company, so phoned lg a few days later and it seems they have fixed one part but another need replacing so its not ready yet. Its been over 2 weeks I find this unacceptable to not have been contacted by phone or email on updates as to what's happening.
2 weeks is the aim time for repairs and its been over that now.
I have a 3 year old tv with a 6 year warranty but have to pay for repairs and lose the main tv in the house for an unknown number of weeks.
Bit of a rant i know but when you buy a tv that has been guaranteed this issue (pixel degradation) wouldn't happen its a joke.

adamcarvell

My tv has been gone over three weeks trying to get information 🤔

tobby

Standard Member
Typed my warranty number after 10 days into the lg warranty website and it said repair completed so waited 2 days and heard nothing. Sent an email and the reply was yes it looks like its repaired there probably waiting for the delivery company, so phoned lg a few days later and it seems they have fixed one part but another need replacing so its not ready yet. Its been over 2 weeks I find this unacceptable to not have been contacted by phone or email on updates as to what's happening.
2 weeks is the aim time for repairs and its been over that now.
I have a 3 year old tv with a 6 year warranty but have to pay for repairs and lose the main tv in the house for an unknown number of weeks.
Bit of a rant i know but when you buy a tv that has been guaranteed this issue (pixel degradation) wouldn't happen its a joke.
It really is ..thats terrible. When my pixels burnt out after normal viewing I was advised to contact LG by RS. The first think I did was go on Trust Pilot to see what LG Customer Service was like....take a look. The second thing was to email RS and point out that my contract was with them. This way I was able to get a pick up and replacement delivery on the same day. You should not be paying for this repair. Check out posts on here cos I keep repeating myself but its about whats fit for purpose, a 3 year TV developing uneven pixel degradation is most certainly not in my opinion. This must be happening all the time ( check out damaged OLEDs on ebay) and its damage limitation for retailers and manufacturers who appear to charge if you dont shout loud enough. Having said that I had a very satisfactory outcome with RS...anyway good luck with it.

tobby

Standard Member
If you bought some rotten tomatoes from Tesco and phoned up to complain...they wouldnt tell you to contact the farmer....just a thought

AVYoda

Standard Member
next TV would you all buy an oled again or go to led?./
Well I opted for a decent LED. A perfect image is no good if there’s an annoying blemish. Like driving a ferrari that kids keep scratching! I’d rather have a decent japanese car which doesn’t attract that sort of attention. It might not look as good but at least I could park it in a public carpark without worrying that I’d come back to a car needing a trip to bodyworks.

I think I may have over laboured that point! 😂

adamcarvell

I’ve emailed LG a few times now about my replacement set and asked for a refund or store credit instead and they didn’t reply.
Is Sony customer service better?

adamcarvell

It really is ..thats terrible. When my pixels burnt out after normal viewing I was advised to contact LG by RS. The first think I did was go on Trust Pilot to see what LG Customer Service was like....take a look. The second thing was to email RS and point out that my contract was with them. This way I was able to get a pick up and replacement delivery on the same day. You should not be paying for this repair. Check out posts on here cos I keep repeating myself but its about whats fit for purpose, a 3 year TV developing uneven pixel degradation is most certainly not in my opinion. This must be happening all the time ( check out damaged OLEDs on ebay) and its damage limitation for retailers and manufacturers who appear to charge if you dont shout loud enough. Having said that I had a very satisfactory outcome with RS...anyway good luck with it.
Just read the LG trust pilot reviews shocking putting me off having another LG. Plus I’m still waiting for my replacement set from them.

arenaman

Right it's time for me to take some action I've mentioned things before but done nothing about it and I've put up with it too long. My panel which was really good when I first bought it has got 2 separate issues, 1 being "uneven pixel wear" caused by the Sky news banner which appeared after a pixel refresh despite me having used the zoom feature for a year before it appeared.

The banner was never displayed in the year before it appeared, I became concerned about burn in though never saw any so decided to use the zoom when watching Sky news, and the damage must have been done before that when I never used the zoom. It appeared out of nowhere after a scheduled pixel refresh.

The second issue is the left side of the panel is darker and the right with a line being noticed in the middle of the screen between where the right and left meet.

You can see the line on the blue slide, where burn in isn't visible, both the lne and the burn in can be seen on the purple slide, yellow shows both up badly.

I'm going to fire an email off and set the ball rolling

Attachments

• 20210220_102159.jpg
    20210220_102159.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210220_101844.jpg
    20210220_101844.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210220_101804.jpg
    20210220_101804.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210220_102022.jpg
    20210220_102022.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20210220_101638.jpg
    20210220_101638.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 54

tobby

Standard Member
Right it's time for me to take some action I've mentioned things before but done nothing about it and I've put up with it too long. My panel which was really good when I first bought it has got 2 separate issues, 1 being "uneven pixel wear" caused by the Sky news banner which appeared after a pixel refresh despite me having used the zoom feature for a year before it appeared.

The banner was never displayed in the year before it appeared, I became concerned about burn in though never saw any so decided to use the zoom when watching Sky news, and the damage must have been done before that when I never used the zoom. It appeared out of nowhere after a scheduled pixel refresh.

The second issue is the left side of the panel is darker and the right with a line being noticed in the middle of the screen between where the right and left meet.

You can see the line on the blue slide, where burn in isn't visible, both the lne and the burn in can be seen on the purple slide, yellow shows both up badly.

I'm going to fire an email off and set the ball rolling
Yeah mine was exactly the same as this, your can see the gap where the black clock was displayed on the Sky Banner. After a week or so of seeing this I could then see the words Breaking News.. Like you I really looked after it and never paused etc. but sadly the damage is accumulative. I put off sorting it like you for a few months hoping it would go away but it just gets worse and they cost to much to just put up with it

arenaman

My warranty is with Domestic and General, is it best to contact them to claim under the warranty (it's just over 3 yrs since purchase) or try via the retailer (Reliant Direct) for unfit for purpose under the Consumer Rights Act 2015?

Warranty states
13. The plan does not include: the failure of the equipment to operate correctly caused by the withdrawal of services by a third party software (including operating systems) loss or failure damage or failure of the equipment due to: a software virus; the configuration of user settings; or the process of backing up or recovery of data; loss, corruption or damage to data or operating system image retention on LCD screens, plasma or projection TV screens. replacement of consumer durables (e.g. batteries, light bulbs and fuses)

Interestingly enough no mention of OLED or "burn in "on the warranty docs I was sent

Last edited:

jimroyale

Mine is pretty bad it's a b7, I have a 5 year warranty with pc world,, how do I go about getting this panel changed? Do I contact pcw or lg, I know I'll have to pay to have it changed but that's fine I suppose,

adamcarvell

Mine was the same line straight down the middle was there from day one but I lived with it until screen burn.

mikej

tobby

Standard Member
Always deal with the retailer. the two other routes are Small Claims Court or Alternative Disputes Resolution (ADR). I suspect that if you mention either of these to your retailer they will do the right thing

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published