OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

adamcarvell

I think LG said the warranty would continue from date of purchase which would be December 2022 I think.

tobby

Standard Member
I think LG said the warranty would continue from date of purchase which would be December 2022 I think.
I hope I am not talking rubbish here but my experience may help you. I suppose it depends who your retailer is. Mine was RS and they have always been brilliant in my opinion. Initially they asked me to contact LG so I mailed them and said my contract was with them. They then asked for photos, then gave me a store credit to exchange based on the fact the TV was 4 and a half years old. This was enough to replace with the entry level OLED but bear in mind I paid double this in 2016, but very fair since I had that use out of it before the pixel burn out
I decided to go with Sony Xh95, paid the difference and received a new 6 year warranty.

adamcarvell

I have contacted richer sounds I said would they be able to take the bx unopened if I wanted to upgrade or upsize the set the reply I had was that they were sure they could help when he returned to office on Monday. Not bothered about sounds got my own amp and speakers.

Last edited:

adamcarvell

If they do let me swap the bx it would be either for the 65bx 55 cx or the Sony a8 all oled. Don’t know enough about led now tbh the loan set is led front on pictures not to bad but from the side it’s washing out.

tobby

Standard Member
Sounds like a really good result is on the cards here. If you are not paranoid about screen burn (sadly I am now and would have spend the rest of my life looking for it) then clearly the OLED is the better option. I would def go with the bigger TV. If you go LED you really need FALD and believe me the Sony gets close. I had two Samsungs both had little black dots at the bottom of the screen and slightly over blown colours. Why dont you treat yourself to the 65cx

adamcarvell

which Sony's have fald and are about £1299

adamcarvell

It’s £1899 too much for me I’d love it though
The LG 65cx

adamcarvell

i wouldn't buy a Samsung tv i was always Sony then Panasonic plasma but couldn't afford an oled in them brands so went with LG b6.

Last edited:

tobby

Standard Member
Yeah...and John Lewis have the solution, they know OLEDs have this problem so lets charge an extra £140 up front to keep consumers happy !!

GT One

In my case I refused to contact LG as my contract was with the retailer not LG, plus I had seen LGs CS reviews on trust pilot. Wonder if this is why its different in your case.
Surely, if you are getting it direct from LG you could just take the replacement back to your retailer and swop it for the model you want.
In any event its a good result particularly so if you get the 5/6 year warranty.
As a non UK resident is this 5-6 year warranty a shop warranty or paid extra warranty?.

BillRawles

Warranty provided by the retailer.
It's not necessarily a warranty. Its standard consumer rights. Under the sale of goods act, an item must be fit for purpose and reasonably durable. An expensive TV that breaks itself from simply being watched contravenes this so these OLED cases are slam dunks if only people remembered what they learned in school.

techfan1967

Standard Member
Under the sale of goods act, an item must be fit for purpose and reasonably durable.
Even though I agree with those saying that the situation is much better with newer models, I find it comical that the only "right" the consumer has with respect to burn in is to pay for additional warranty on top of the £1,200+ already spent for the TV set, I strongly believe the regular warranty should protect against burn in.

BillRawles

Even though I agree with those saying that the situation is much better with newer models, I find it comical that the only "right" the consumer has with respect to burn in is to pay for additional warranty on top of the £1,200+ already spent for the TV set, I strongly believe the regular warranty should protect against burn in.

I agree they should stand over their faulty products but it doesn't matter though. Their warranty could say the TV can only be watched on the 2nd Tuesday of the month for all the law cares. Any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights. A warranty can make getting things fixed/repaired easier/more speedy but it's by no means the bottom line when issues arise.

tobby

Standard Member
Totally agree. There is a lot of case law around now from successful claims make to small claims courts under fit for purpose. An alternative route would be Alternative Disputes Resolution (ADR). I was happy to except the very fair offer of a heavily discounted exchange because I had owned the OLED for 4 and a half years and didnt want another OLED. I was told by retailer that they didnt know back in 2016 that things like Sky Breaking News banners caused damage.......they certainly do!!

adamcarvell

So you wouldn’t buy another oled then

adamcarvell

I’m considering the Sony led the loan set LG one the black bars while watching movies are grey compared to my oled b6 though.
And I have a LG wall mount which holds 300x200 and 400X300 do that’s something I’m conscious off two needing a new wall mount for a Sony.

BillRawles

I’m considering the Sony led the loan set LG one the black bars while watching movies are grey compared to my oled b6 though.
And I have a LG wall mount which holds 300x200 and 400X300 do that’s something I’m conscious off two needing a new wall mount for a Sony.
Do not let any LG LCD have any influence on your opinion of what a good LCD can do. Actually, use it as a reference for the difference between a crap LCD and a good one. I recently bought a Sony XH90 in prep for a new Xbox. I'm fully aware it's not their top end but I've been impressed - and I'm mostly watching upscaled NowTV and Netflix on it. The XH95 which has been mentioned previously is the next step up and is a better display with a better processor. One thing to note though is that Sony don't really focus on black bars, they want to show the colours on screen as they're meant to be seen and will sacrifice the black bars if needed. The opposite side of the coin is Samsung, who will clip detail of the on-screen image to keep the bars black. I know which I prefer, especially with a bit of bias lighting.

I can't help on wall mounts, both of mine are universal and fit everything afaik. I only put the Sony up last week with this which cost about fifteen quid

Last edited:

GT One

I agree they should stand over their faulty products but it doesn't matter though. Their warranty could say the TV can only be watched on the 2nd Tuesday of the month for all the law cares. Any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights. A warranty can make getting things fixed/repaired easier/more speedy but it's by no means the bottom line when issues arise.
In Australia it's called statutory consumer rights, it means that the retail or commercial seller, who owned the product when it was sold, has an obligation to supply a product or goods fit for purpose, the retailer or wholesaler is obligated by law to either repair or replace this product if it is proven to be not fit for purpose but in practice usually pass this responsibility on to the manufacturer, especially during the period of a manufacturers warranty, these warranties vary from one year to three years in duration in Australia.
Retailers (or any commercial seller of the product) will always be responsible for the repair of these products as they owned them when they were sold, not the manufacturer.
The standard practice for all electrical retailers is to offer extended warranties which is basically an insurance policy sold on commission by the retailer, what this extended warranty policy covers should be covered by your statutory consumer rights even after the manufacturers warranty has expired, any product that fails for technical reasons should be repaired or replaced by the retailer / wholesaler even after the specified manufacturers warranty has expired, unless there's a provable reason not to.
The contentious issues about warranty claims usually involve arguments about how a product was used or allegedly misused by the owner, retailers can declare that the TV was used in manner not specified by the manufacturer for instance, but in reality if the TV failed for provable technical reasons then the TV should be repaired or replaced, these warranty disagreements can become very stressful and expensive as less ethical retailers well know.
Instances where obvious product abuse has occurred is a different matter, as are instances where a product was used commercially or left on 24 hours a day for months on end, store retailers like car dealers know about common signs of product abuse, and will use them in their own defense involving warranty claims.

Hamad138

My friend works for LG and he said this :

All Models before 2018 have a high risk of Burn In because Oled Red Subpixel wasn't that advanced back then. LG managed to double the Red Subpixel on 2018 , making 2018 Models hard to burn in ( Twice as hard as the C6 or C7) . On 2019 they further increased the Size of Red Subpixel about 50% while also increasing the other Subpixel. 2020 they further increased the Subpixel but not by much , but they tried to reduce a little bit of Brightness , that's why cx is a little dimmer then C9 and C8.

He also says the CX is so hard to burn it , that he is also using it as a PC Monitor.

2021 will be another big step , similar to 2017 to 2018 because there will be a a new Pixel Matrix with layers. That's why LG could increase the Brightness without worrying about Burn in

Winchesterclub

So if he knows why , they should be more sympathetic to people with problems
How come LG are so slow are getting repairs done ?, Can your friend talk to the Man in repairs
And politely ask him to get his finger out of his A*** and get repairing 😉😁😁

BillRawles

Oh yeah, we know they've changed the sub pixel structure over the years to try fix this issue. Yet they also deny the issue exists and blame the user. For want of a more impolite way if saying it, they're being a smidge dishonest and I'd think long and hard before they get a penny from me. I worked in phones in a previous life and LG made the worst pos we stocked, we actively told staff not to sell them in the end. I cant say they've done much in the last decade raise my opinion of them.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published