OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

FusedANUBIS 1

So around 14000hours if say 11hours a day.
Yeah that sounds about right but the weird thing was “one minute it wasn’t there at all and the next minute it was really bad” and I’ve had 2kuros and a zt60 so I know how to look after a plasma screen for I/r and s/b if you what I mean,it was about 3 years old when it appeared and now if I put up a red slide there are marks of screen burn everywhere in places that just shouldn’t be there especially the YouTube and Netflix logos on the smart menu which has never been on for long just the time it takes to select something it just doesn’t make sense to me but maybe someone on here could explain what has happened.

Parry

Distinguished Member
Funny as Rtings said the viewing angles were mediocre in their review but the same TV I saw in store looked impressive .
Tbh mate I don't rate rtings at all, a lot of what they say and do is garbage.
I've not looked at there review but they may have the reviewed the smaller screen size which doesn't have the x wide angle technology, I thinks 55" and below don't have it

Parry

Distinguished Member
Does it, sonys x wide is perfect for my room
Samsung have terrible dse on there pannels

Last edited:

LGSAM

I am glad some manufactures are at least making an effort in regards to viewing angles as in my living room some LED's have looked terrible so Oled has been ideal but comes with its own issues also .

baba850r

Yeah that sounds about right but the weird thing was “one minute it wasn’t there at all and the next minute it was really bad” and I’ve had 2kuros and a zt60 so I know how to look after a plasma screen for I/r and s/b if you what I mean,it was about 3 years old when it appeared and now if I put up a red slide there are marks of screen burn everywhere in places that just shouldn’t be there especially the YouTube and Netflix logos on the smart menu which has never been on for long just the time it takes to select something it just doesn’t make sense to me but maybe someone on here could explain what has happened.

I think they just degrade over time and usage.

stasis

I have the LG 65 E6 OLED and also the LG 65 B7 OLED.

Both have screen burn.

I first noticed the screen burn on the E6 a few months ago.
It is only visible with certain colours. There is a horizontal thin line covering about 70% of the screen width and also a box with top menu in text that is visible.
It appears to me that the screen is unable to produce shades of red and flesh tones in the affected areas but it can prod uniform greens and whites and other colours. The fault affected areas seem to be outputting no illumination and appear to be a dark grey.
Currently watching snooker the screen is perfect. Watching TV programmes and movies it is occasionally obvious depending on the screen content.
I am disappointed to have recently discovered this with the E6 but would not wish to replace it as I have a collection of 3D movies.
With mixed screen images the fault is not very noticeable but it is more obvious on more uniform colour areas.
The burn appeared almost over night and I have no obvious explanation.
I suspected the horizontal line may coincide with the news channels but I am at a loss to see where the box with text for "top menu " has came from.

I have the 65 LG B7 OLED in the Kitchen and just noticed faint signs of image retention during the BBC series The Planets.
The B7 was from Richer sounds and it is part of the power board recall.
Does anyone know if they would consider a warranty claim for screen burn if it becomes more of an issue.

I really enjoy my OLED viewing but will most likely look at alternatives for my next purchases.

regards Stasis.

FusedANUBIS 1

Both have screen burn.

It is only visible with certain colours. There is a horizontal thin line covering about 70% of the screen width and also a box with top menu in text that is visible.
It appears to me that the screen is unable to produce shades of red and flesh tones in the affected areas but it can prod uniform greens and whites and other colours. The fault affected areas seem to be outputting no illumination and appear to be a dark grey.
Currently watching snooker the screen is perfect. Watching TV programmes and movies it is occasionally obvious depending on the screen content.
I am disappointed to have recently discovered this with the E6 but would not wish to replace it as I have a collection of 3D movies.
With mixed screen images the fault is not very noticeable but it is more obvious on more uniform colour areas.
I suspected the horizontal line may coincide with the news channels but I am at a loss to see where the box with text for "top menu " has came from.

I have the 65 LG B7 OLED in the Kitchen and just noticed faint signs of image retention during the BBC series The Planets.
Does anyone know if they would consider a warranty claim for screen burn if it becomes more of an issue.

I really enjoy my OLED viewing but will most likely look at alternatives for my next purchases.

regards Stasis.
Thats exactly what happened with my c6 See post 5127

xWill

Both have screen burn.

regards Stasis.

I had the Netlfix logo (burnt out red pixels) on my E6 55" at the end of last year. Bought from Richer Sounds beginning of 2017. RS weren't overly helpful to begin but after pushing back and direct messaging RS on here they offered the panel replacement scheme for free (not 3D) or the option to trade in and upgrade which is the option I took.

stasis

I will live with the E6 fault as I will miss the 3D.
Thanks xWill for the info about how Richer Sounds responded to your problem screen.
I don't think the B7 fault is currently sufficiently bad to complain about but I will monitor it over the comming months and complain if I become unsatisfied with it.
regards stasis

AVYoda

Novice Member
I had the Netlfix logo (burnt out red pixels) on my E6 55" at the end of last year. Bought from Richer Sounds beginning of 2017. RS weren't overly helpful to begin but after pushing back and direct messaging RS on here they offered the panel replacement scheme for free (not 3D) or the option to trade in and upgrade which is the option I took.

Yes they are quick to offer the 2D fix solution now. Probably because it's the cheapest option for them as LG will do it for £150-250 depending on size of screen. Out of interest what sort of value did they offer on the upgrade? Was it a proportion of the TV purchase value based on how long you had it?

polecatt

Novice Member
Anyone have an idea what’s going on with my brand new LG GX55 OLED? The grey areas build up over 15-30 seconds and then goes away when the text scrolls on the screen. Is this the panel trying to protect itself somehow?
214C73E9-565E-41EB-A9FE-893448F1665D.jpeg

barallo

just finished my Logo burn in protection with a RaspberryPi

SkyQ 1080p50 -> HDMI In -> RaspberryPi -> HDMI Out -> Tv

everything is automatic and to add new channels I have only to edit the file name of the captured frame
to enable the zoom or to apply the mask

CROP & ZOOM
skysport24_w118_h41_x1798_y998_mCROP_cw1500_ch840_ cx10_cy20.jpg

MASK (and transparent png)
skysport24_w118_h41_x1798_y998_mMASK_cw0_ch0_cx0_cy0.jpg
skysport24_w118_h41_x1798_y998_mMASK_cw0_ch0_cx0_cy0.png

Last edited:

frank20

Hoping for some up to date advice. LG B7 bought from Currys in Aug 2017 - bad image retention, smearing and colour block/patchiness after regular viewing of Sky (in fairness been like this for nearly 12 months but haven't had the gumption for the inevitable battle to get it sorted). Any remedy likely to be available and, if so, do I badger Currys or LG? Any and all help appreciated.

I'm in almost exactly same position except mine is a 65 B6 bought from Curry's in April 2017 - mine caused by combination of Sky and xbox gaming.

I contacted LG today and have emailed them some photos - they've said their tech dept will review them and contact me in next 14 days - anyone know what (if anything?!) offer I could hope for/should expect from them?

Thanks in advance!

Frank20

D J Fryer

I'm in almost exactly same position except mine is a 65 B6 bought from Curry's in April 2017 - mine caused by combination of Sky and xbox gaming.

I contacted LG today and have emailed them some photos - they've said their tech dept will review them and contact me in next 14 days - anyone know what (if anything?!) offer I could hope for/should expect from them?

Thanks in advance!

Frank20
Interesting. Would you drop me a line with details of who you emailed etc?

frank20

Sure - I actually called them in the first instance using the phone number link at the bottom of this page :- Chat and Email | LG U.K.

They answered within a couple of rings :clap: and took details & then sent an email to which I replied with the photos.

Will help if you have your receipt looked out and access to your TV as they'll ask for serial number from the menu etc..

Michael7877

Anyone have an idea what’s going on with my brand new LG GX55 OLED? The grey areas build up over 15-30 seconds and then goes away when the text scrolls on the screen. Is this the panel trying to protect itself somehow?View attachment 1442391

Not entirely sure, but it could be the logo burn in protection. I don't have one of this year's LG sets, so I'm not sure if it's an option to enable/disable (hopefully it is). Check the menu for something related to logo burn in/static image dimming

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett