OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

BillRawles

I just thought I would add my 2p worth to this thread. I have a 2016 LG OLED55E6 which I have had for about 2 years. It was about a year old when I got it. I have been using Netflix for about 18 months and have just noticed that the Netflix logo is visible on a plain red image. This is the red Netflix logo that is visible on the LG Netflix app when you are browsing titles. It can’t be visible on screen for more than 5 or 10 minutes per day, so I think that’s pretty poor. LG make it out that you would need to have static images on screen for hours a day to cause burn-in which is obviously untrue.

Yup it annoys me when you see people give the old "you'll only get burn-in if you leave static images on screen for hours" line. That was with Plasma and those days are gone. It has long been proven that OLED pixel wear is cumulative and that repeated short periods of displaying an image in a certain location on the screen is as bad, if not worse, than leaving a static image there for hours and hours.

By the sounds of it you bought that one 2nd hand so unfortunately that won't be covered by consumer legislation

tobby

Standard Member
Yup it annoys me when you see people give the old "you'll only get burn-in if you leave static images on screen for hours" line. That was with Plasma and those days are gone. It has long been proven that OLED pixel wear is cumulative and that repeated short periods of displaying an image in a certain location on the screen is as bad, if not worse, than leaving a static image there for hours and hours.

By the sounds of it you bought that one 2nd hand so unfortunately that won't be covered by consumer legislation
Couldnt agree more I had a 2016 LG OLED stopped the family from using the pause button looked after it like a baby...then July 2020 out of nowhere sky breaking news appears whilst watching football...this isnt burn in.. its pixel wear they just dont last that long...got a Sony XH9505 as a replacement...very good TV good blacks and now I can pause and make a cup of tea.......on reflection now I know I could have anyway its simply accumulative

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
@BillRawles & @tobby - Would I be right to assume you chaps don’t buy the assumption that more recent Oled’s are more resilient to burn in/pixel wear with the newer measures that have been put in place?

AVYoda

Standard Member
I’m hoping to replace my LG oled with the Sony 9505 too! Looks like a very nice TV...as perhaps as good as it gets for LED. The only thing I worry about is being unhappy in comparison with OLED picture having seen the internet side by sides with LG CX. But I wonder if the 9505 is closer to the OLEDs from 2017?

Parry

Distinguished Member
Do many LG OLED owners have the Logo Luminance setting on high , doesn't it affect the brightness settings of the picture when set to high ?

Cheers
LG logo luminance is very good, the difference between low and high setting is just the time it takes to kick in.
With content with just one or two logos it works very well in dimming just the logos, once the logos or banners fill over a certain percentage of the screen then it gives up and reduces the brightness across the whole screen.
I brought a sony 77AG9 oled 2 Weeks ago and the first thing I noticed is just how bright the logos now are because Sony doesn't have logo luminance control on this set.
I do miss that feature as it definitely works on the LG oleds.

Winchesterclub

Thanks Parry
Could be worth setting to high ?
Any time scale on when the screen would start to reduce ?

Cheers

Last edited:

BillRawles

@BillRawles & @tobby - Would I be right to assume you chaps don’t buy the assumption that more recent Oled’s are more resilient to burn in/pixel wear with the newer measures that have been put in place?
They have to be better but the problem is that we wont really know for 2-3 years so I still wouldn't buy one as a family TV. I cant support LG on this, they're blaming issues on user damage yet are trying to fix the "non-issue" with every annual model iteration - makes perfect sense!

tobby

Standard Member
Dont really know I am no expert but at the end of the day its the same technology with the newer TVs and you can refresh the screen as much as you like but the pixels will still wear out

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
I brought a sony 77AG9 oled 2 Weeks ago...
What happened to your 9505 mate? Did you trade it in for the AG9?

They have to be better but the problem is that we wont really know for 2-3 years so I still wouldn't buy one as a family TV. I cant support LG on this, they're blaming issues on user damage yet are trying to fix the "non-issue" with every annual model iteration - makes perfect sense!
I can't disagree with any of that, Bill. Time will tell I guess. I've always thought LG accusing people of damaging their sets simply by watching them as totally absurd.

Dont really know I am no expert but at the end of the day its the same technology with the newer TVs and you can refresh the screen as much as you like but the pixels will still wear out
Your own experience is as valuable as any experts, sir. It's useful for potential buyers. I appreciate your reply.

ado

Phoned lg as I didn't realise they were doing repairs during lockdown. My tv has been picked up by panther (courier) and on its way to LG,
Guys waited outside with a flight case (which was too big) they phoned head office who authorised them to still collect it and off its gone.
TV was purchased from RS who have said will reimburse my £200 payment to lg.

Parry

Distinguished Member
I wanted a 77" oled when upgrading in size, but after reading the LG CX 77 owners threads I did not fancy buying a ticket for the panel lotto as there did not look to be any winners with a 77",there was some pictures shared of shocking looking panels
The read the 77 Ag9 threads and they had some great looking panels.
So I told myself I would give one 77 Ag9 ago and if the panel had bad tinting and banding I would return it and stick with the xh9505h.
The panel I received was great and definite keeper.
I have been using oled TVs for 6 years now and the PQ, Contrast levels and blacks have spoilt me.
Im happy to be back with oled 👍

Winchesterclub

Glad your happy with your Set now Parry , The CX is my first OLED and i have to say it is a different world viewing wise.. especially with UHD , Dolby Vision content

I got confused about all the Panel talk , when you hear LG make most of the panels for most of the OLED TVs out there, made my decision a bit more tricky but been lucky so far

Cheers

Parry

Distinguished Member
Glad your happy with your Set now Parry , The CX is my first OLED and i have to say it is a different world viewing wise.. especially with UHD , Dolby Vision content

I got confused about all the Panel talk , when you hear LG make most of the panels for most of the OLED TVs out there, made my decision a bit more tricky but been lucky so far

Cheers
What size did you get?

Winchesterclub

Hi
I had to have the 48 inch version
Purely for the size ( alcove next to the chimney breast ) , i had it calibrated last Friday , and to me it made a world of difference to the picture quality which was good anyway

Parry

Distinguished Member
Hi
I had to have the 48 inch version
Purely for the size ( alcove next to the chimney breast ) , i had it calibrated last Friday , and to me it made a world of difference to the picture quality which was good anyway
A 48" how cute ha. Yeah you shouldnt have any panel uniformity issues at that size, Pro calibration as well, very nice.

Winchesterclub

Yes it still looks big 😄
Thanks the Calibration again is it worth it ,waste of money...etc
But it makes a ton of difference the guy was here for 3hrs
Calibrated ISF Day/Night, Cinema for HDR/ Dolby Vision
Didn't do Filmmaker as its just dark room adjusted to 100nts and all processing off .

I didn't realise the LG defaults to Cinema when any HDR / Dolby Vision is played,

Also another little tip he gave me always use the TVs apps , Netflix , Amazon Prime over the Virgin/ Sky boxes as they are updated more often and play in a better rate

Parry

Distinguished Member
Yes it still looks big 😄
Thanks the Calibration again is it worth it ,waste of money...etc
But it makes a ton of difference the guy was here for 3hrs
Calibrated ISF Day/Night, Cinema for HDR/ Dolby Vision
Didn't do Filmmaker as its just dark room adjusted to 100nts and all processing off .

I didn't realise the LG defaults to Cinema when any HDR / Dolby Vision is played,

Also another little tip he gave me always use the TVs apps , Netflix , Amazon Prime over the Virgin/ Sky boxes as they are updated more often and play in a better rate
3 hours lol sounds very quick that for a pro calibration, it must of not needed much work.

Winchesterclub

3 hours lol sounds very quick that for a pro calibration, it must of not needed much work.

No TBH even he is impressed with them

He has done loads and most owners make the same mistakes with colours ( if you do not know your colours) so he knew where to change more or less from the off, interesting to watch him at work though ,and he said to er indoors its worth updating the Netflix to Premium as to get all the Dolby / UHD content as she is the account holder 😉

Haniyyah

What happened to your 9505 mate? Did you trade it in for the AG9?

I can't disagree with any of that, Bill. Time will tell I guess. I've always thought LG accusing people of damaging their sets simply by watching them as totally absurd.

Your own experience is as valuable as any experts, sir. It's useful for potential buyers. I appreciate your reply.

My C9 had 3500 hours on it and 550 compensation Cycles and 1 major pixel refresh. I Played games on PC from RDR2, Doom 16, Doom Eternal, COD MW, RE2 & 3 mostly all in HDR. TF2, Forza 4, Gears 5 and so on. There was no burn in at all and I played 1 to 3 hours daily for 12 months.

Parry

Distinguished Member
No TBH even he is impressed with them

He has done loads and most owners make the same mistakes with colours ( if you do not know your colours) so he knew where to change more or less from the off, interesting to watch him at work though ,and he said to er indoors its worth updating the Netflix to Premium as to get all the Dolby / UHD content as she is the account holder 😉
These new sets are much easier to calibrate, I started calibrating on 2014 oleds adn you could do 8 hours stright on them.
I calibrated my 77AG9 last week, I was the first time calibrating a sony so I was happy with only 4 hours to do it.
Yes I've been on Netflix UHD subscription for years.

Winchesterclub

Correct just what the Calibrator said to me 😉
Glad we upgraded especially with OLED the Netflix stuff is stunning in Dolby/UHD
He also said Amazon Prime Dolby / UHD was very poor in comparison , not really watched much on AP to be honest to make a comment

adamcarvell

Phoned lg as I didn't realise they were doing repairs during lockdown. My tv has been picked up by panther (courier) and on its way to LG,
Guys waited outside with a flight case (which was too big) they phoned head office who authorised them to still collect it and off its gone.
TV was purchased from RS who have said will reimburse my £200 payment to lg.
Same happened to my b6 had it nearly two weeks now.

Bemused One

Distinguished Member
I wanted a 77" oled when upgrading in size, but after reading the LG CX 77 owners threads I did not fancy buying a ticket for the panel lotto as there did not look to be any winners with a 77",there was some pictures shared of shocking looking panels
The read the 77 Ag9 threads and they had some great looking panels.
So I told myself I would give one 77 Ag9 ago and if the panel had bad tinting and banding I would return it and stick with the xh9505h.
The panel I received was great and definite keeper.
I have been using oled TVs for 6 years now and the PQ, Contrast levels and blacks have spoilt me.
Im happy to be back with oled 👍
I’ve got to ask, does the XH9505 come close to OLED when it comes to picture quality?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J/A80J OLED details, Best type of Amplification, Film & TV Show News + Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG offers best ever OLED prices - for one week only
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sony launches Bravia XR A80J OLED TVs in Europe
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Tidal streaming service acquired by Twitter/Square's Jack Dorsey
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix adds support for reduced theatrical release window