OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

Michael7877

I don’t play games on mine but got the burn waiting for panel replacements to start up again.are you saying less than 50 brightness will help ?. Does that mean higher oled light or contrast?.

You'd adjust OLED light to reduce the brightness to half. It's just the one channel that gave you problems - so if you're going to continue watching it you should do so at half of your usual brightness even (so half of the half you're already at). That way it will take 8 years instead of 4 to burn in again. You can probably make a dimmer picture mode to use only when you're watching that channel. The best thing to do to avoid burn in would be to not watch that channel anymore, but if you can't do that just remember the rule that every time you halve the brightness you double the lifespan.
Your burn in could have started a while before 4 years, like at 2.5. So halving your usual brightness of that channel might only give you 5 years.
Just watch that channel verrrry dimly lol

adamcarvell

It could have started earlier yes I got some new glasses and noticed this mark on a film hoping it was just a poor made one only to see it after I read up burn then did the YouTube test and bingo seen the gmb logo

Xabi17

You should do some calculations to see if OLED is the right choice for you - basically if it will be able to support your usage habits without needing too many repairs (inconveniencing you and taking up time and not looking great some of the time, even if the costs are covered by warranty).

At full brightness, any static element on the screen will burn in by 300-500 hours. Scoreboards and game HUDs apply. Red, orange, yellow, and purple will be closer to 300 hours, blue, cyan, and green around 500. There are some local dimming features that should roughly double those numbers when enabled, it depends on how much they dim by. Half brightness doubles lifespan.

I made a post in the burn in thread on gaming on OLEDS, I'll put it in another post below this one. It's kind of restricting in some cases, but I think if you're willing to shelve a few (OLED assaulting) games after some time, you can benefit from having OLED technology with minimal interruptions to your usage
Where are you getting 300 to 500 hours from? RTings burn in tests has the same content 20 hours a day and has no burn-in on FIFA, football, COD etc even at Week 40 (5,600 hours)?

adamcarvell

My brightness is 50 oled light is 40 on isfdarkroom that’s the setting we watch gmb on. So if need to make it darker? To avoid burn in or less likely to occur again

Michael7877

My brightness is 50 oled light is 40 on isfdarkroom that’s the setting we watch gmb on. So if need to make it darker? To avoid burn in or less likely to occur again

Yes, if you make OLED light 20, it will take about twice as long for the GMB to burn in with your new panel. I know that's very dim, but it's what you need to do to avoid the same thing happing again in 3-4 years (hopefully it'd last 6-8 before being like this again)

Michael7877

Where are you getting 300 to 500 hours from? RTings burn in tests has the same content 20 hours a day and has no burn-in on FIFA, football, COD etc even at Week 40 (5,600 hours)?

I get it from many places. But let's look at your test.

If you look at CNN Max, it has red on the screen at around 100 nits. By week 14 it's starting to get burn in. That's 1960 hours at 20 hours per day.

Burn in is linear in the SDR range, so something that's 400 nits (say 100% saturated red at maximum brightness in SDR) will burn in 4x faster than 100 nits.

1960/4 is 490.

Plus numerous people giving evidence like "I watched that channel for 1 hour a day 5 days a week and it's been 3 years since I bought the TV and now it looks like this" (after 782 hours) and it's destroyed

It's consistent and repeatable. Those games in their tests have lighter HUDs than others.
Which is why I say it starts at 300 to 500 hours. That's the worst case scenario, and for things that look troublesome (very bright, stationary, saturated colours) it probably won't be a lot longer. Maybe you'll get 1000 hours, maybe 1200. But to avoid wrecking your screen, you need to monitor it every 100 hours and have realistic expectations for games with bright elements. You can't get addicted to one and expect your TV to survive it more than a year.

Last edited:

adamcarvell

What would happen if you went the other way really bright. Trouble is how many news and sports channels don’t have logos somewhere on the screen

Michael7877

What would happen if you went the other way really bright. Trouble is how many news and sports channels don’t have logos somewhere on the screen

That's the thing, you need to avoid those channels, or zoom in if you absolutely must watch them over a long period of time

adamcarvell

Well love football and sport etc zoom in how you mean change aspect ratio

Xabi17

I get it from many places. But let's look at your test.

If you look at CNN Max, it has red on the screen at around 100 nits. By week 14 it's starting to get burn in. That's 1960 hours at 20 hours per day.

Burn in is linear in the SDR range, so something that's 400 nits (say 100% saturated red at maximum brightness in SDR) will burn in 4x faster than 100 nits.

1960/4 is 490.

Plus numerous people giving evidence like "I watched that channel for 1 hour a day 5 days a week and it's been 3 years since I bought the TV and now it looks like this" (after 782 hours) and it's destroyed

It's consistent and repeatable. Those games in their tests have lighter HUDs than others.
Right, sorry I missed the bit where you said at full brightness, was thinking of just any static pieces. I'm definitely going to get the warranty then use it as normal (while being sensible/with prevention features on). Then see how it goes with my usage and if it goes within 5 years will get it replaced, if not then happy days.

Michael7877

Right, sorry I missed the bit where you said at full brightness, was thinking of just any static pieces. I'm definitely going to get the warranty then use it as normal (while being sensible/with prevention features on). Then see how it goes with my usage and if it goes within 5 years will get it replaced, if not then happy days.

That's a good plan. When the first panel finally goes (it will eventually with gaming) you'll know what did it and how long it took, and exactly what to expect from the next panel (and can adjust if you need to - ie. if it happens too soon)

adamcarvell

Do any other settings help like true motion eye care noise reduction etc mine are all turned off

adamcarvell

The live zoom is only like a magnifying glass didn’t cover all the screen?. Are there any of the other settings I have turned off like eye care etc that would benefit being on ?.

Lvrhs

Yesterdays I saw friends OLED phone from 2015. At first glance I noticed, that keyboard is severly burned in. Phone user, haven't noticed it until now...
I wonder, how many blind OLED users are out there, who happily watches their burned in TV's and are happy.

beckford

Attachments

• 20201128_093054.jpg
    20201128_093054.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 106

adamcarvell

Us too it’s not on long when I get my panel replacement I won’t be watching it

adamcarvell

I bought mine from richer sounds 6 years warranty in December 2016 I noticed it sent them pictures it’s a not fit for purpose tv tbh having to baby sit it. On here I found out LG are offering £200 panel replacement.

beckford

Yeah same here dont watch sky news because of the ticker. Only very briefly watch GMB or BBC news. JL didnt seem interested at all and basicly said ive abused the TV watching hours and hours of GMB. Deffinatly havent as me and my wife are at work, only have it on when were having breakfast. The black levels are amazing but apart from that, i wish i never invested in OLED and stuck with my E8000. You really do have to baby sit this tech. thought JL would be better then this as they have been really good with stuff in the past worst case scenario I'll have to suck it up and go back to LCD. I'm going to see if i can get the LG replacement program first though.

adamcarvell

Try LG first tell them what going on etc

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett