OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

felty99

I'm looking forward to hearing about all the rejected claims under their T&Cs which interestingly include the catch-all statement "If you don’t follow the manufacturer’s instructions...."

MEGATAMA

I'm looking forward to hearing about all the rejected claims under their T&Cs which interestingly include the catch-all statement "If you don’t follow the manufacturer’s instructions...."
If is like this then this is no real insurance for oleds panel degradation.....

B3anstar

wouldn't John Lewis not offer this if it was a wide spread issue? I don't see how it would otherwise be viable.

1) there is an issue and they will support it, in which case it's not financially viable for them.
2) there is an issue and they won't support it, in which case John Lewis's hard earned customer service reputation tanks.

SunWorship

John Lewis’ warranty does not cover screen burn, they offer additional insurance at extra cost (£140) that covers screen burn.

They do indeed have a bad reputation for covering screen burn under warranty.

mikej

John Lewis’ warranty does not cover screen burn, they offer additional insurance at extra cost (£140) that covers screen burn.

They do indeed have a bad reputation for covering screen burn under warranty.
Yes, that's the policy we've been talking about. We maybe should have described it as the 'accidental damage' policy (which includes 'screen burn'), to avoid anyone confusing it with their standard 5 year extended warranty.

webby54

If you achive 3+ years with 12+ hours per day usage it will be miracle.
I've been in the market for an OLED tv for months now but this is very concerning. My current tv is 10 years old and still going strong. £620 10 years ago! if I'm gonna drop £2000 on an OLED I expect it to last 7-10 years.

mikej

I've been in the market for an OLED tv for months now but this is very concerning. My current tv is 10 years old and still going strong. £620 10 years ago! if I'm gonna drop £2000 on an OLED I expect it to last 7-10 years.
The problem is that the 'screen burn' situation is not black and white. Some people have suffered it in the past within a year or two simply by watching GMB for 20 minutes a day, whereas others have gamed with static HUDs for years and never seen it. Usage, content and picture settings will vary considerably from user to user which makes analysis of the problem difficult. Those who have suffered are also always going to be the most vocal about it on a forum like this and quite rightly too - I would probably feel the same if I was in their shoes.

For me - the pros of OLED outweigh the cons, of which the screen-burn risk is perhaps the biggest for me. I just take steps to mitigate it, which include avoiding the news channels (not really an issue as I don't watch them much anyway), not pausing stuff for too long and keeping luminance at sensible levels for anything with static content. In my case, I feel it's a small price to pay for the stunning picture I get when watching movies or TV series, which make up the majority of my viewing,

Also - don't forget that OLED manufacturers have added features to their recent sets to counter 'screen burn' that weren't available on early models. These features, coupled with improved knowledge on the subject gained from users' experiences about some of the causes, will hopefully mean that current OLED owners are at least more aware of the risk and the steps they can take to (hopefully) mitigate it.

We'll only get the real picture a bit further down the line though, once these recent generations of OLEDs have had the time and use necessary to bring these issues out. Until then, the only guaranteed way of avoiding the problem completely is to stick to LCD... and swap this potential problem for a whole host of other issues :D

PDogg

Standard Member
Yes i was of the same thinking, family was shocked with the burn in issue and mine lasted 2.5years, and was a real pain getting a refund, but the consumer protection is there its just effort sorting if anything goes wrong.

Yes - sorry I bought the Protect Plus policy.... that's is what I meant.

• Immediate accidental damage cover (including TV screen burn), no excess to pay.
  • Worldwide cover - repairs carried out in the UK
  • Unlimited call-outs - no surprise repair costs
  • Repairs by manufacturer-accredited engineers or by authorised engineers
  • A replacement if it can’t be fixed - this might be a refurbished or remanufactured product
  • Delivery of your replacement product
  • Replacement TV installation

SunWorship

Only way to make an OLED last that long (short of not using it) in my opinion is to buy it with a warranty or insurance that covers burn in and get it replaced around the 3-5 year mark when it burns in.

MEGATAMA

The problem is that the 'screen burn' situation is not black and white. Some people have suffered it in the past within a year or two simply by watching GMB for 20 minutes a day, whereas others have gamed with static HUDs for years and never seen it. Usage, content and picture settings will vary considerably from user to user which makes analysis of the problem difficult. Those who have suffered are also always going to be the most vocal about it on a forum like this and quite rightly too - I would probably feel the same if I was in their shoes.

For me - the pros of OLED outweigh the cons, of which the screen-burn risk is perhaps the biggest for me. I just take steps to mitigate it, which include avoiding the news channels (not really an issue as I don't watch them much anyway), not pausing stuff for too long and keeping luminance at sensible levels for anything with static content. In my case, I feel it's a small price to pay for the stunning picture I get when watching movies or TV series, which make up the majority of my viewing,

Also - don't forget that OLED manufacturers have added features to their recent sets to counter 'screen burn' that weren't available on early models. These features, coupled with improved knowledge on the subject gained from users' experiences about some of the causes, will hopefully mean that current OLED owners are at least more aware of the risk and the steps they can take to (hopefully) mitigate it.

We'll only get the real picture a bit further down the line though, once these recent generations of OLEDs have had the time and use necessary to bring these issues out. Until then, the only guaranteed way of avoiding the problem completely is to stick to LCD... and swap this potential problem for a whole host of other issues :D
Play Final Fantasy 14 or WOW with HUD/icons in that games and after 200-300 hours any OLED is gone.

Xabi17

Do you have evidence of that? I can't imagine that's true. Based on RTings test they have 20 hours per day of various content. Go to week 52 and look at the FIFA example (that's 7,300 hours of pure FIFA) and the burn-in is negligible and only visible in certain colours. 300 hours of a game is not going to ruin a TV.

MEGATAMA

Do you have evidence of that? I can't imagine that's true. Based on RTings test they have 20 hours per day of various content. Go to week 52 and look at the FIFA example (that's 7,300 hours of pure FIFA) and the burn-in is negligible and only visible in certain colours. 300 hours of a game is not going to ruin a TV.

Yes,i had my pictures from my two oleds here on forum.
If you have oled try FF14 for 200-300 hours then post pictures of your panel here.

RLT

Haven't been on here for ages.

Have had an LG E6 65" for what must be 4 years now ?
Had burn in for what seems forever.
All the You tube ones, Netflix bottom right 'Breaking News' bottom left and associated long banner lines along the bottom.
Still enjoy the 3D & colours, so have never complained as I understand you cant get replacement 3D panels now.
Only really a distraction when certain plain colours are on the screen
Will probably put me off buying OLED again after laying out a lot of cash for this one.
Got a 5 year warranty and was just wondering if LG would replace with a new non 3D panel one before it runs out ?

MEGATAMA

All the You tube ones, Netflix bottom right 'Breaking News' bottom left and associated long banner lines along the bottom.
Still enjoy the 3D & colours, so have never complained as I understand you cant get replacement 3D panels now.
Will probably put me off buying OLED again after laying out a lot of cash for this one.
Got a 5 year warranty and was just wondering if LG would replace with a new non 3D panel one before it runs out ?
In Germany you get money back or new tv model but i see that in UK they replace panel in alot of cases.

xWill

Where did you buy it? LG Warranty will probably only be one year with extended guarantee through the retailer. Take it up with them. I'm going through the process at the moment with the Netflix logo burnt into bottom right hand corner.

raduv1

Distinguished Member
Are the 2019 LG series better at mitigating the effects of screen burn in ? I only ask as have had my E9 for a year,ish and have not really treated it any differently to my previous Samsung and Panasonic LCDs of the past . So far so good as I do check .

webby54

The LG65BX is down to 1799 at Richer Sounds & John Lewis, and the 65CX is down to 1999

aaf2001

Standard Member
I have a problem with 2016 LG OLED 55E6V bought from JL with 5 year warranty.
GMB logo
JL are telling me “screen burn” not covered.
Also can’t replace OLED panel, no spares available from LG!!

MicroMan

Standard Member
I am stuck between buying an LG CX with potential burn-in or Samsung Q90T which doesn't support Dalby Vision. I don't use the tv for gaming but do watch the Sky Sports channel a lot which has a scrolling section at the bottom displaying scores, will this cause burn-in.

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
I have had 3 oleds, love them, but all three have had Sky News banner showing after around 18 months.

Yellow seems to be the killer.

Just the way they are.

I watch roughly an hour a night of Sky News, and TV is on about 7 hours a day.

Have also had games running for hours with HUD and no issue at all on any of them.

Yellow logos and ticker tape is the killer.

MEGATAMA

Red,orange,yellow are worst colors for oled panel,YT app,Netflix app....

Parry

I am stuck between buying an LG CX with potential burn-in or Samsung Q90T which doesn't support Dalby Vision. I don't use the tv for gaming but do watch the Sky Sports channel a lot which has a scrolling section at the bottom displaying scores, will this cause burn-in.
Go with q90

Azazael

Standard Member
My LG65 E6 purchased in May 2017 just went in for repair under the 5 year D&G warranty. It has the 'Breaking News' bottom left image retention issue. Previously to 2017 I had a pioneer plasma that lasted 10 years with no burn issues. The OLED picture quality is superb but you will need get image retention sooner or later. So my advice is to either get an insurance against that or be firm about your "UK statutory rights" when it does happen.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom