OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

MEGATAMA

Hi guys! I bought my first OLED television, an LG 65CX and i’m so happy. I will receive it in a few days and i want to understand a couple of things regarding burn-in. I read a lot about it and i know that the CX has good tecnology to prevent it, but some things aren't clear to me.
For example, i read that the brightness has to be not to high and that it's not reccomended to use the tv for so many hours a day, but i use more that 12 hours a day since between me and my wife, there is always a person at home. Besides that, i read that it's not reccomended to play games on it more than 6/7 hours a day, to not play always the same game every day and to not watch static tv content (like logos) for the same amount of time. But do they mean 7 hours of games/channel tv continuosly or in total?
12+ hours is my usage scenario,i had 2 oleds with degraded panels.
Good luck to you man.

MEGATAMA

2 oleds with burn-in? are they too "damaged"? your tv should have a protection systems for burn-in, doesn't it?
Thats not burn in,pixels was simply degraded.
If you use TV 12+ hours a day your panel will degrade much faster then at person who use oled 2 hours per day.
I was using my tv around 15 hours a day,big family...i play games at night when they go to sleep...its werry easy to make that hours with big familiy and one tv in flat.

turtuv

Thats not burn in,pixels was simply degraded.
If you use TV 12+ hours a day your panel will degrade much faster then at person who use oled 2 hours per day.
I was using my tv around 15 hours a day,big family...i play games at night when they go to sleep...its werry easy to make that hours with big familiy and one tv in flat.
so it's impossible to me to keep my tv 10 years i guess

Stepalex

If you achive 3+ years with 12+ hours per day usage it will be miracle.
IMO that makes OLED simply not fit for purpose.

What a shambolic situation on the market at the moment - only Samsung makes great non-OLED TVs in 2020, yet they've moved too fast to 8K for no reason, and with iPhone 12 offering Dolby Vision, the lack of support of it on Samsung TVs takes them off my list.

All other manufacturers offer sh*tty LEDs and/or OLEDs with no HDMI 2.1, which with the PS5 and Xbox around the corner is ridiculous.

That leaves LG OLEDs as the only choice, but with any new post on their screen burn (which is VERY different to what happened to plasmas) I can't see myself forking out £4K just to replace it in 3 years.

B3anstar

3 years at 12 hours a day would only be just over 13,000 hours. An OLED can do that without much degradation (any TV will degrade though). As long as you vary content I wouldn't worry.

fandibus

I have my LG B6 65" purchased back in 2016 and it's still going strong. No issues. No burn in. I don't watch anything with static logos so that's not a concern.

LX200GPS

The problem is though that it can be very difficult for "family tv" to be used without displaying static images. My E6 has some very faint burn in - so faint I haven't been able to figure out what's caused it. Have been very careful over the last 4 years not to watch the news programmes for too long. Don't play games.

I would only buy another oled if I could use it exclusively for movies and have something else as a family tv.

In my present situation that's not possibe so I wouldn't buy another oled to be honest. Too many other things in life to worry about.

EDIT: Did LG ever fix the micro-stutter when watching Freeview 1080i? Still bugs me that!

SunWorship

3 years at 12 hours a day would only be just over 13,000 hours. An OLED can do that without much degradation (any TV will degrade though). As long as you vary content I wouldn't worry.
Take a look at the screen grabs dataset in the RTINGS burn-in test. Subtle burn in is evident after just 8 weeks or 1120 hours of FIFA gameplay. Newer tv’s are more resistant to damage but the pictures don’t lie: this is a fragile technology.

B3anstar

1120 of nothing but FIFA? if so then not surprising really is it? CRT and LCD burnt with static images too.

from RTINGS: "Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV."

Last edited:

SunWorship

1120 of nothing but FIFA? if so then not surprising really is it? CRT and LCD burnt with static images too.

from RTINGS: "Our stance remains the same, we don't expect most people who watch varied content without static areas to experience burn-in issues with an OLED TV."
According to LG the problem is cumulative, so by their logic it wouldn’t necessarily help if other content was watched in between. 1120 hours (which wasn’t constant without a break in their test) is not very much for one game by gamer standards.

I don’t expect burn in on tv’s that don’t watch static content either - good luck finding that content!

I don’t mean to suggest that people should avoid OLED, just wanted to make sure the idea that an OLED could be trusted for over 13k hours of content was shown to be debunked. Varying content is not enough.

MEGATAMA

You dont need Fifa,start up Netflix or YT app every day couple dozens times for 2 years.
Logos presence on panel will stack up and thats it,panel is degraded.

B3anstar

Plasma's were supposed to be equally as bad but both of mine were fine so think the OLED burn isn't that big an issue (may have been on earlier ones like plasma).

I just think any tech will break if abused and think 1120 hours of nothing but one game is abuse.

turtuv

Plasma's were supposed to be equally as bad but both of mine were fine so think the OLED burn isn't that big an issue (may have been on earlier ones like plasma).

I just think any tech will break if abused and think 1120 hours of nothing but one game is abuse.
I'm a gamer and during the year I play thousands and thousands of hours on different games. at this point I think that the CX wasn't a great choice

B3anstar

I do feel for you but at least with it being a CX it's stands a chance of being fine with LG slightly dropping the peak brightness (apparently) and implementing logo dimming.

turtuv

I do feel for you but at least with it being a CX it's stands a chance of being fine with LG slightly dropping the peak brightness (apparently) and implementing logo dimming.
Do I have to activate the logo dimming and reduce the peak brightness or are they always on?

MEGATAMA

I have my Viera plasma now for 12+ years and zero burn in and still working fantastic.
In 3.5 years i loose 2 LG oleds,there is no compare betwen this two tech.
Plasma is worlds better in term of screen resistance.

fandibus

You dont need Fifa,start up Netflix or YT app every day couple dozens times for 2 years.
Logos presence on panel will stack up and thats it,panel is degraded.
I've done it for 4 years and my tv is fine. Nearly every day. We use streaming boxes so there are static images in the menus. Granted after a short time of being left on a menu the screensaver kicks in. I have done some gaming on it via xbox but i'm not a heavy gamer. It's our main tv used by whole family.

I have bought 48CX with the knowledge that screen burn is an issue.

However in the UK, John Lewis offer a 5 year warranty against screen burn and in the US, Best Buy do the same.

I now have no issues with using my screen exactly how I want, when I want, for as long as I want and as bright as I want.

I wouldn't of even contemplated it without that warranty. I would of been worrying constantly.

Not even an issue anymore.

I also came from Panasonic Plasma (10 years use) and never got any issues with burn in after following the run in instructions on AVforums.

Last edited:

LX200GPS

I have bought 48CX with the knowledge that screen burn is an issue.

However in the UK, John Lewis offer a 5 year warranty against screen burn and in the US, Best Buy do the same.

I now have no issues with using my screen exactly how I want, when I want, for as long as I want and as bright as I want.

I wouldn't of even contemplated it without that warranty. I would of been worrying constantly.

Not even an issue anymore.

I also came from Panasonic Plasma (10 years use) and never got any issues with burn in after following the run in instructions on AVforums.
How long have J Lewis been offering 5 yr guarantee against screen burn?

mikej

How long have J Lewis been offering 5 yr guarantee against screen burn?
They introduced it earlier this year - some time around April I think

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best TVs of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Top Bottom