OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

choddo

Most of life is a play on words and the law doesn't help in this case as although the technology is essentially flawed the manufacturers and retailers are being very open about this. You buy an OLED at your own risk and just have to hope no burn in occurs and if it does then you will be one of the lucky ones and get it replaced/repaired at no cost. You only have to look on these forums to see it's riddled with consumers who haven't been this lucky. If there is a consumer law that covers for burn in please make us all aware of it on this forum. A link would be great please.
Can you point at one person who has had a Panasonic OLED with burn-in? I don’t think I’ve seen one. Most seem to be LG?

D

Deleted member 171211

Can you point at one person who has had a Panasonic OLED with burn-in? I don’t think I’ve seen one. Most seem to be LG?
LG Displays make all the panels in OLED TVs, so there is limited control the other manufacturers can exert.

I have read, however, that Panasonic have a better cooling system inside their TV than most, which may be helping.

choddo

LG Displays make all the panels in OLED TVs, so there is limited control the other manufacturers can exert.

I have read, however, that Panasonic have a better cooling system inside their TV than most, which may be helping.
Obviously, I do know that. So can you or not? ;) EDIT: saw after this you'd linked one.

Last edited:

gerbilly

I am happy that Richer Sounds are sorting my problem with this TV as I have always had good experiences when buying speakers from them.
My TVs I had always bought from John Lewis and I still have two older flat screens tv’s and one is 13 years old (Sony).
However I thought I would give Richer Sounds a go when I got this tv. I knew before hand Plasma’s used to have an issues with burn in , however when I bought this OLED I never knew it was an issues with them. Any review I read never mentioned it .
I though I was paying a decent amount of money for a good tv and that this set was better due to it displaying black screens better.
So for after 2 years for it to develop this fault for the sin of watching a decent amount of news during a pandemic I was gutted that it wouldn’t be repaired by warranty.
I am just happy now the customer service manager was able to sort this.
Just to remind some not everyone is clued up on all things AV and most people buying a TV will not know that watching a lot of sky tv or leaving a still image on a screen will cause screen burn.
A wee update on this.

Guys came to collect tv today to take to LG.

However when I got the tv the power cable was too short for wall mounting. The guy who installed it for me removed the LG plug and fitted an extension to the cable and it has been up on my wall for 2 years.

However the guys who were collecting it to resolve the screen burn issue would have had to remove the plug on the power cable to get the tv off the wall and they wouldn’t do it, which I understand.

So don’t know if LG will still do the repair.

D

Deleted member 171211

Why would they have had to remove the plug just because the cable was lengthened?
presumably because the power cable is routed through ducting in the wall.

I always recommend people get a single socket extension cable and put the socket end behind the tv and route the flex for the extension through any ducting. No need to mess around with the TV power cord that way.

choddo

presumably because the power cable is routed through ducting in the wall.

I always recommend people get a single socket extension cable and put the socket end behind the tv and route the flex for the extension through any ducting. No need to mess around with the TV power cord that way.
Yeah that would have been my assumption but he said it was just there because the original cable was too short.

D

Deleted member 171211

Yeah that would have been my assumption but he said it was just there because the original cable was too short.
My possibly incorrect assumption is they fitted a cable extension and the plug is at one end of the trunking and the TV at the other and it’s all plastered in.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member

Panasonic's customer service is awful.
I love their TVs but I'd struggle to buy anything of theirs due to this simple fact.
I phoned up once for a TV and straight away realised I was alone.. lol.

Its stands to reason that the only manufacturer who seems to be at all leniant with burn-in is LG themselves. Probably because it costs them a lot less to replace the panel than the other manufacturers.

LCDseeker

Distinguished Member
Panasonic's customer service is awful.
I love their TVs but I'd struggle to buy anything of theirs due to this simple fact.
I phoned up once for a TV and straight away realised I was alone.. lol.

Its stands to reason that the only manufacturer who seems to be at all leniant with burn-in is LG themselves. Probably because it costs them a lot less to replace the panel than the other manufacturers.
I've never had a Panasonic but this surprised me. As you know I like Sony and have to say that there customer support/aftersales and warranty support has been superb.

xWill

Hi, my LG OLED E6 55" bought from Richer Sounds web sales in Jan 17 now has the Netflix logo showing on red backgrounds (see image shown in Black and White).

After a couple of back and forth emails with Richer Sounds customer service they advised that screen burn is not covered in their 6 year TV warranty. I was advised that the manual warns about static images being on the screen for longer than one hour to which my reply was that this is pretty much impossible with the Netflix logo and screensaver unless you sat there scrolling through the titles for hours on end.

Richer Sounds advised that I should contact LG for further advice. LG customer support said I would have to pay for a replacement panel (not 3D).

Richer Sounds have now advised that they will cover the cost of the LG panel replacement service or if I decide to keep the TV they will give me £200 BACS as a gesture of goodwill. I'm told the £200 is the cost of the LG replacement panel service for Richer Sounds customers and that this service normally costs between £700 to £1400.

If I took the replacement panel offer I'm aware that I would lose the 3D capabilities and am gutted as I have also had the TV calibrated in Feb 16.

My question is can you actually have a newer panel put in an E6 model? Are they actually compatible? Has anyone who had an E6 had their panel replaced or did you end up with having a new TV? Voucher? Credit towards new TV upgrade.

I'm not sure how I feel about this and said I would think about it over the weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
20201005_194525 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

turtuv

Hi guys! I bought my first OLED television, an LG 65CX and i’m so happy. I will receive it in a few days and i want to understand a couple of things regarding burn-in. I read a lot about it and i know that the CX has good tecnology to prevent it, but some things aren't clear to me.
For example, i read that the brightness has to be not to high and that it's not reccomended to use the tv for so many hours a day, but i use more that 12 hours a day since between me and my wife, there is always a person at home. Besides that, i read that it's not reccomended to play games on it more than 6/7 hours a day, to not play always the same game every day and to not watch static tv content (like logos) for the same amount of time. But do they mean 7 hours of games/channel tv continuosly or in total?

Parry

Distinguished Member
Hi guys! I bought my first OLED television, an LG 65CX and i’m so happy. I will receive it in a few days and i want to understand a couple of things regarding burn-in. I read a lot about it and i know that the CX has good tecnology to prevent it, but some things aren't clear to me.
For example, i read that the brightness has to be not to high and that it's not reccomended to use the tv for so many hours a day, but i use more that 12 hours a day since between me and my wife, there is always a person at home. Besides that, i read that it's not reccomended to play games on it more than 6/7 hours a day, to not play always the same game every day and to not watch static tv content (like logos) for the same amount of time. But do they mean 7 hours of games/channel tv continuosly or in total?
Read the first page header and you will get a good idea of what to do and not to do pal.

Parry

Distinguished Member
The things to take from it are, don't leave content like logos, game huds or sports, news banners on screen for long periods of time or at a high oled light setting if they are or have the colours red, yellow, orange in them.

turtuv

The things to take from it are, don't leave content like logos, game huds or sports, news banners on screen for long periods of time or at a high oled light setting if they are or have the colours red, yellow, orange in them.
ok, now it's more clear. but how do i do if i play a lot of games with HUD, logos etc? how many hours per day in total are we talking about?

Parry

Distinguished Member
No one really knows lol. But if you have I higher oled setting like above 50 you will have less time before static coloured images will start to cause image retention.

mikej

ok, now it's more clear. but how do i do if i play a lot of games with HUD, logos etc? how many hours per day in total are we talking about?
It's widely accepted that 'screen burn' on an OLED is in fact premature pixel wear, in which case it'll be cumulative. This means that playing a game for 2 hours a day for a week is the same as playing it for 14 hours straight.

One indication that this is true Is the number of people with things like the Netflix logo burnt into the screen. They're likely to only browse the menus for a matter of minutes not hours, but do that regularly enough times everyday for a year or two and it could be the same as leaving that screen on for half a day straight.

Do bear in mind though that the hope is that the more recent generations of OLEDs should be more resistant to this problem. Personally, I still think it's sensible to take precautions to lessen the risk until we can be sure this is no longer an issue.

in my case, that means using the more natural picture modes and/or avoiding high luminance levels when gaming, turning off unnecessary HUDs if possible and avoiding watching news channels with scrolling banners for too long.

18 months is probably about right for the first reports of any 2018 OLEDs with screen burn to start coming in so I guess we should 'watch this space' !

turtuv

It's widely accepted that 'screen burn' on an OLED is in fact premature pixel wear, in which case it'll be cumulative. This means that playing a game for 2 hours a day for a week is the same as playing it for 14 hours straight.

One indication that this is true Is the number of people with things like the Netflix logo burnt into the screen. They're likely to only browse the menus for a matter of minutes not hours, but do that regularly enough times everyday for a year or two and it could be the same as leaving that screen on for half a day straight.

Do bear in mind though that the hope is that the more recent generations of OLEDs should be more resistant to this problem. Personally, I still think it's sensible to take precautions to lessen the risk until we can be sure this is no longer an issue.

in my case, that means using the more natural picture modes and/or avoiding high luminance levels when gaming, turning off unnecessary HUDs if possible and avoiding watching news channels with scrolling banners for too long.

18 months is probably about right for the first reports of any 2018 OLEDs with screen burn to start coming in so I guess we should 'watch this space' !
ok thank you so much. what pictures mode do you suggest? dark mode? and when i'm playing, can i use game mode instead?

mikej

ok thank you so much. what pictures mode do you suggest? dark mode? and when i'm playing, can i use game mode instead?
I'm not familiar with LG picture modes, but the Cinema or Pro modes are usually the most natural and tend to have lower luminance levels. You can always adjust the luminance setting within any mode you choose though, if necessary.

Game mode is usually the best option for keeping the response time down when gaming and you can always reduce the luminance setting if it's set too high by default. My aim is always to reduce it, but not so much that it spoils the experience.

I tend to avoid the much brighter Vivid or Sports modes entirely for all viewing, but that's just my preference.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett