OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

R10DAN

Standard Member
Stupidly I've chased JL a few times before I thought of contacting the techs company. Up to now JL still don't have a copy of the report.

BillRawles

Time for an indy engineer report which will show that you've not physically damaged the TV, then start small claims proceedings against JL on the basis that's it's not for purpose and reasonably durable. Forget this bluster about warranty as it has nothing to do with your consumer rights.

BillRawles

Have you spoken to the retailer? That's who your contract of sale is with. If you've not damaged it, you have consumer rights. Forget the word "warranty", it's a marketing tool. Its not reasonable that an expensive item should just break performing its standard purpose within a short space of time.

drstuf08

i spoke to richer sounds yesterday and they were going to send me an email to reply to with a picture but unfortunately that never arrived.

anchorless

Evening folks,
I’ve been umming and arring about getting a new TV. I have a perfectly good Samsung 55NU8000 but, we’re moving house soon and due to stamp duty being scrapped have some spare cash to spend on a new TV. Saw some amazing looking OLED’s in Curry’s yesterday and had my mind set on a Panasonic. Until I read this forum. I’ve had plasma before but OLED would appear to be 10x worse. I don’t want to spend my time worrying about what I watch, with the prospect of pixel wear looking over me. Is screen burn that bad or am I just reading all the worst cases?

sebna

Evening folks,
I’ve been umming and arring about getting a new TV. I have a perfectly good Samsung 55NU8000 but, we’re moving house soon and due to stamp duty being scrapped have some spare cash to spend on a new TV. Saw some amazing looking OLED’s in Curry’s yesterday and had my mind set on a Panasonic. Until I read this forum. I’ve had plasma before but OLED would appear to be 10x worse. I don’t want to spend my time worrying about what I watch, with the prospect of pixel wear looking over me. Is screen burn that bad or am I just reading all the worst cases?
Two Oleds at home. What burn-in? One with 6k+ hours on the clock.

It just shows you the it varies and depends on the use case (my is quite optimal).

If you frequent news channels Oled is not for you. If you vary the content you should be fine.

Are they worth it? Only you can tell but the PQ is jaw dropping. For me Oled seats in number 1 spot for most satisfying purchase of my life.

BillRawles

I don't know what other options you'd have in the current market for a high end screen. I would not pay what Samsung are charging for their top end LCDs - none of which are much (if any) better than my DX902 from 2016. Are Sony making any new high-end FALDs? I'm not aware but I've not heard of much. I know Pana have made nothing of note on the LCD front since 2016.

That leaves OLED. I would be hesitant to have one as a family TV but for my own use I'd love to pick up one of the new Panasonics. Also consumer law is there if an item is not reasonably durable so that's any early burn-in covered.

3rdignis

I normally take this guy with a pinch of salt.

PDogg

Standard Member
After calling JL every other day, kicking off and asking to speak to a snr manager, just got off a 2hr call with JL , they have told me best option is to refund my original purchase price, and will come n collect the TV. Took a while but finally got there, last guy who i spoke to redeemed the reputation of them.

I think whether its LG, JL or currys it all seems to be a pot luck draw based on who you speak to and how much they actually understand the problem at hand.

Next question is to oled or not to oled ? I will have to have a big think about this i like my E series, but they dont make it anymore, the E9 does look nice and if i shop around can maybe find in within budget. The GX is 500 quid too steep not sure if i should wait for black friday again for the prices to go down , but im thinking if i go for the GX i wont have picture on glass like my E7?

RGP

My outgoing Panny G10 plasma has some burn from about 10 years use & it never really bothered me after all it still works & now almost worthless ready for when I recently got my Oled :)

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
If you frequent news channels Oled is not for you. If you vary the content you should be fine.
If you watch lots of news channels and don't want to replace it every 2-3 years don't bother with OLED.

It doesn't matter if it is only 10% of your viewing, it will still 'burn'.

I watch an hour or two of Sky News every night, the TV is on for 10 hours a day in total, I get 'burn' showing after 18 months or so, by 2 years I can see it in 'some' content. By year 3 I have replaced it.

Is it worth it?

Forgetting the 'burn' I still find the image on my Sony XF9005 better for a lot of content. But when an OLED does its thing it is breathtaking.

If I had to have one screen would be it be an OLED?
Well, the way the UK media is now going with its pathetic "Got'ya!" type of reporting I am no longer watching the news, so yeah probably would go OLED if only one TV.

anchorless

Thought about it quite a bit, think I’m going to end up getting a Samsung QLED (probably Q90T). I know if I got an OLED I’d just spend the whole time worrying about it and analysing the screen looking for defects or burn or whatever 😂

sebna

:) I would get Oled and if it would not work out only then switch to Qled.

MikeTVMikeTV

My mate had a smaller square shape of what you've got on his C6 Richersounds replaced the panel for him as it wasnt technically screen burn they said.

PDogg

Standard Member
is there many people with the 2018 panels with burn in?
Seems to be limited so far to the 2017/16 panels. Will be interesting how many owners do yellow screen/red screen test to see the full extent of burn in on 18 panels if any.

Parry

is there many people with the 2018 panels with burn in?
Seems to be limited so far to the 2017/16 panels. Will be interesting how many owners do yellow screen/red screen test to see the full extent of burn in on 18 panels if any.
2018 set had better protection against PIR like logo luminance and larger red pixels.
There may well be 2018 sets with PIR but it just not been spotted by the owners yet

R10DAN

Standard Member
Well, just spoke with JL and their escalation department, and they aren't nudging. The report said "burn in/image retention", that's it case closed as far as they are concerned.
I tried to get through to them asking what

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Top Bottom