OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

5to1

The screensaver on my LG kicks in after half a minute when I use some apps, youtube, netflix but not iPlayer or if I pause a BD.
On my Panny the problem is Sky. If i'm watching a recording it reverts to the Home page and the preview box prevents the screensaver kicking in. So I have to be mindful not to wonder off when a recording is playing.

If its me or the wife watching, we just revert to live TV if we walk away. But if I've left something on for the kids I can't do that. Usually its ok, but sometimes when they're watching a series, if an episode is missing it will go to the home screen instead of playing the next available one. Fortunately they usually shout and my eldest (5y/o) already knows to press the backup button to exit the Home screen.

But its a worry none the less.

Swindonman

Standard Member
Hi foxxes, 1st of all I had to go through on their technical number, they asked me to do various changes to my tv while they were listening, after about 30 mins of investigation they arranged for pickup and check ( because an engineer could not enter my house COVID -19 ) they came as arranged and I was left without a tv for about 1 week.
Then JL phoned back and said my old tv was unrepairable and offered a similar LG tv OR pay the extra for others sold by JL.
Not too sure but this may be the number 0345 610 0359 BUT please check first.

Bejje

Novice Member
I just bought my first OLED from Philips. It's called 65OLED934.
Anyone knows if it has any counter measures to keep burn in chance at a low?

MEGATAMA

I just bought my first OLED from Philips. It's called 65OLED934.
Anyone knows if it has any counter measures to keep burn in chance at a low?
Dont play games with red,yelow,orange elements in HUD.
Dont use to much starting screen of Netflix app where is Netflix logo and that samll yelow square in bottom right corner,also be careful with Youtube logo.

Bejje

Novice Member
Maybe there is some screensaver feature that detects that no button is pressed and nothing is played back?

321nod

Now that F1 season started I'm wondering how safe it is to watch with LG C9 and should any precautions besides lowering oled-light be done? I have bad experience with that bright white F1 logo on the lower left corner they keep sending every year with my previous plasma televisions. Has anyone watched the whole season on their oled and then carefully checked with different solid color test patterns whether there is any sign on that logo present?

scottiefraser

Now that F1 season started I'm wondering how safe it is to watch with LG C9 and should any precautions besides lowering oled-light be done? I have bad experience with that bright white F1 logo on the lower left corner they keep sending every year with my previous plasma televisions. Has anyone watched the whole season on their oled and then carefully checked with different solid color test patterns whether there is any sign on that logo present?
I watched on my EF950v for 4 years. No problems either.

321nod

Thanks for comments. Do you see any, even temporary retention from the logo with test patterns or does it stay absolutely clear in that area even right after watching F1 broadcasts?

scottiefraser

Thanks for comments. Do you see any, even temporary retention from the logo with test patterns or does it stay absolutely clear in that area even right after watching F1 broadcasts?
I never saw any retention on my EF950v, I mainly watched in UHD. Today there was none on my C9 and I also did occasionally notice the auto-dimming protection which didn't spoil my viewing.

Parry

Nothing to worry about at all pal ,been watching f1 on oleds for 5 years and never had any sign on image retention.
You wont need to adjust oled light as logo luminace dimming will dim the whole screen as there are so any on screen static boxes .
I may disable logo luminace when watching f1 as maybe be too dull with it enabled

scottiefraser

Nothing to worry about at all pal ,been watching f1 on oleds for 5 years and never had any sign on image retention.
You wont need to adjust oled light as logo luminace dimming will dim the whole screen as there are so any on screen static boxes .
I may disable logo luminace when watching f1 as maybe be too dull with it enabled
I noticed it at work today on my C9, first time I've noticed it and at first I thought it was a fault!

MEGATAMA

White logo is no danger,red..yellow...orange...this is problem.

321nod

Thanks for comments. I watched the race while being extra careful and I used zooming half of the race so logo was displayed only half time. I also dropped oled light from 24 to 18 and reduced contrast from 85 to 75. No noticeable IR. I guess I’ll try next race with normal settings I use but I thought it is good idea to start carefully, better be safe than sorry.

You mentioned logo luminance dimming. How that is supposed to work? I have kept it on high setting all the time but I haven’t noticed it doing anything not even if I go channel with very bright logo. Is it because I already use so low oled light setting it is not needed to dim the logos?
Or is it possible that using ”too” low oled light setting is actually more harmful in case it does not dim the logos at all then?

Parry

Thanks for comments. I watched the race while being extra careful and I used zooming half of the race so logo was displayed only half time. I also dropped oled light from 24 to 18 and reduced contrast from 85 to 75. No noticeable IR. I guess I’ll try next race with normal settings I use but I thought it is good idea to start carefully, better be safe than sorry.

You mentioned logo luminance dimming. How that is supposed to work? I have kept it on high setting all the time but I haven’t noticed it doing anything not even if I go channel with very bright logo. Is it because I already use so low oled light setting it is not needed to dim the logos?
Or is it possible that using ”too” low oled light setting is actually more harmful in case it does not dim the logos at all then?
I use logo lum on low, it works OK at dimming logos but if the logos are large or more than one on screen the whole screen will dim .

MEGATAMA

This is good to know. How quickly these non-white logos can cause BI in these latest generation oleds like C9?
We need to waith to see but till now on previous models it seems around 10000 hours depends on usage, hdr, colors...

D

Deleted member 171211

I use logo lum on low, it works OK at dimming logos but if the logos are large or more than one on screen the whole screen will dim .
Have you switched to a C9 now? Thought you had a C7

321nod

We need to waith to see but till now on previous models it seems around 10000 hours depends on usage, hdr, colors...
I guess that it total hours and not just certain colored logo displayed that long? Any idea how long certain like red or yellow logo can be displayed total time until it causes that noticeable burn later on?

Is there any easy way to test that logo dimming actually works? I have never noticed it doing anything in my TV even I have it set high? I use only oled light 24, so is it possible it is not used in that low setting?
Just wondering if is would be better then to use so high oled light setting that this actually does something (in case it is depending on that), I mean could low oled light setting allow logos to be displayed a bit too bright in relation to other picture content vs if you have high oled light setting so high that it would automatically dim? Just wondering and not sure if that even works in my TV at all?

MEGATAMA

I guess that it total hours and not just certain colored logo displayed that long? Any idea how long certain like red or yellow logo can be displayed total time until it causes that noticeable burn later on?

Is there any easy way to test that logo dimming actually works? I have never noticed it doing anything in my TV even I have it set high? I use only oled light 24, so is it possible it is not used in that low setting?
Just wondering if is would be better then to use so high oled light setting that this actually does something (in case it is depending on that), I mean could low oled light setting allow logos to be displayed a bit too bright in relation to other picture content vs if you have high oled light setting so high that it would automatically dim? Just wondering and not sure if that even works in my TV at all?
Thing is that time on screen is stacking.....10x per day 5minuts of Netflix logo is all together 50 minuts of logo on screen for that day.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 25th November 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky agrees movie deal with Entertainment One
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Amazon Prime Video UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Lypertek renames TEVI wireless earphones to PurePlay Z3
  • By Andy Bassett