Quantcast

OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

RyYYZ

Standard Member
Hold on...I thought the general consensus here by those "experts" was that burn in was a rare problem caused by manufacturing defects?
Nobody really knows for sure. Are some panels "defective" and much more prone to burn in? Are they all equally prone to it and it just shows up with some due to usage patterns and environmental factors?

Nobody knows. Well, LG Displays might, but they're not telling us.

If it is only a small percentage of panels that have manufacturing defects and are particularly prone to burn in, you'd think LG/Sony/Panasonic/etc would have no problem with warrantying them against burn-in for a reasonable period, like at least 3 years. But they don't, and even the aftermarket warranties specifically exclude burn in. Which means either they think the technology in general is prone to burn in, or (in the case of 3rd party warranties) they're just as clueless as we are.

And again, before anyone gets the wrong end of the stick: I bought my C8 knowing full well the risk of burn-in, having seen the big Rtings.com 6 panel test. I assumed, from that, that pixel wear/burn in would be cumulative. I keep reading and posting on this thread because I'm really interested in what the truth actually is. Unfortunately, we haven't discovered it yet, as far as I can tell.

Last edited:

Parry

Distinguished Member
There are definitely OLED sets that are more prone to PIR , all perminate image retention starts with just image retention In its early stages .
I had many 55e6 sets 10 infact in the pursuit of a perfect panel in the panel lotto and i got a winner in the end but one the sets was very different from the rest .
Even after watching one letter box movie it would show top and bottom lines of image retention for a day or so but would eventually, then when i put on some test panels to start calibration on the set I could see image retention from 25% test patterns in centre of the screen already yet I had not displayed any at that point .
This was from the a factory calibration and permanent now, this was just like the one on Rtings.com test .
LG came out to see this set at Rtings and said it was something to do with temperature and cooling of the panel at the factory , if its was not correct when the set was calibrated the uplift table of info would be incorrect causing the screen clear program not to able to do its job .
They were able to correct the uplift table on site at Rtings and clear all image retention from the screen which hd been showing screen burn on the tests .
I have seen many others on web with this problem but LG wont offer to rectify it outside of 12 months .
So there are sets that will suffer much easier than others
Now we info that looks like temperature again effects the panels life but outside the factory this time.
Panasonic have proven that the running temperature of the set have a big effect image retention and nits max light output .
We all know the accumulative wear of the sub pixels happens to every panel no matter what but its rate at which this happens is not clear.
But now if we add this new info of heat to the mix i see more clearly that running a higher oled light for long periods of time will cause the panel temperature to rise enough to amplify the pixel degradation.
This definitely matches with my experiences with OLEDs over the past 5 years.

aoaaron

How long do people expect a £2000-£3000 TV to last?

If its 5 years, we should just trace and understand the results of OLEDs bought five years ago to now and see what state they're in.

A quick look on ebay (I was interested in buying a 3D model), shows there most listenings have them with screen burn listed and evidence of them in the listing. I think thats somewhat telling the issue is much more prevalant than on LCD for the naysayers. I'm assuming LG's warranty has safe guarded a fair few retailers from having to payout and replace those who are less legally versed in dealing with these issues.

I know a couple of years ago, dealing with JL, I was in a similar position getting an LCD repaired. They half arse repaired the TV.. still had an issue which wasn't there on day one but after 2 repairs.. I was like fine. In reality I should have asked for a refund at that point but being a young kid whos at university, I was just a bit thick and unaware of my consumer rights.

RyYYZ

Standard Member
Honestly, based on past experience, I expect a decent quality TV to last until I decide to upgrade to something better. I had the same 21" CRT for at least 10 years. I had a 34" widescreen CRT for about 8 years before ditching it because I was moving and didn't want to deal with a 185 lb TV. The Sony LCD I bought in 2014 is still going fine for a friend's father, and I would expect it to continue to for quite a few more years)

But realistically, if I can get 3 years with no burn-in/PIR on this TV, I'll be reasonably satisfied. Even with a little burn-in, many people, like my mom, would probably still find it a perfectly good TV. She's still using a Toshiba 40" LCD I bought for her in the late 2000s.

I think I also qualify as a pretty heavy TV user - my 13 month old C8 has ~3500 hours on it already.

staffy 2

Before my E7 my Sony 2000X lcd lasted 12 years.I gave it to a friend and it’s now 14 years old and still going strong.Id say 3 years for an Oled.Im hoping for 4 years as I’ve had a new panel at 2 years old.My Philips ambilight lcd in the bedroom is 11 years old and works great it’s a cracking little picture.I had to use it for a week while my E7 was repaired and I got use to it even though it’s only 32 inches but it was pin sharp at that size

Parry

Distinguished Member

If its 5 years, we should just trace and understand the results of OLEDs bought five years ago to now and see what state they're in.

A quick look on ebay (I was interested in buying a 3D model), shows there most listenings have them with screen burn listed and evidence of them in the listing. I think thats somewhat telling the issue is much more prevalant than on LCD for the naysayers. I'm assuming LG's warranty has safe guarded a fair few retailers from having to payout and replace those who are less legally versed in dealing with these issues.

I know a couple of years ago, dealing with JL, I was in a similar position getting an LCD repaired. They half arse repaired the TV.. still had an issue which wasn't there on day one but after 2 repairs.. I was like fine. In reality I should have asked for a refund at that point but being a young kid whos at university, I was just a bit thick and unaware of my consumer rights.
3-4 years is as long as I expect any modern tech to last me.
My 55c7 had 13k hours on it in after 2 and a half years of use , no permanent image retention at all .
It nearly did have from HDR gaming but nothing at all from normal tv channels.
I think it would have done 4-5 years easy if it had not got damaged when moving it .
13k hours over 5 years gives 7 hours a day which i think is above average usage for most homes .

staffy 2

It’s a funny old world with tvs isn’t it.Ive just had a good read on the Q90R forum and loads of people moan about lip sync issues with Sky.One is boxing his Q90R up to come back to Oled and there’s a few dse issues and some moan hdr in games don’t work.One says his 2016 Panasonic lcd is it the 902 is miles better than his Q90R.If anyone is reading up what tv to go with they must be well and truly lost.If LG covered burn in then things would be so much easier.Its still such a lottery getting a good tv.I dare say both Oled and lcd are good but why are they so inconsistent with quality control.

mad steve

It’s a funny old world with tvs isn’t it.Ive just had a good read on the Q90R forum and loads of people moan about lip sync issues with Sky.One is boxing his Q90R up to come back to Oled and there’s a few dse issues and some moan hdr in games don’t work.One says his 2016 Panasonic lcd is it the 902 is miles better than his Q90R.If anyone is reading up what tv to go with they must be well and truly lost.If LG covered burn in then things would be so much easier.Its still such a lottery getting a good tv.I dare say both Oled and lcd are good but why are they so inconsistent with quality control.

To be honest, DSE and clouding are a panel lottery on a LCD.. Burn in on Oled is a design flaw at the pixel level. They just wear out.

MEGATAMA

To be honest, DSE and clouding are a panel lottery on a LCD.. Burn in on Oled is a design flaw at the pixel level. They just wear out.
Yes same as vertical banding on one set you can have it on another one not.
Burn in is something wich affect oled panel by design.

Parry

Distinguished Member
Only with certain content ,most people will watch a good mix of programs and never see PIR
If your a big news,sports news and sports fan I would say go buy an LED

MEGATAMA

Only with certain content ,most people will watch a good mix of programs and never see PIR
If your a big news,sports news and sports fan I would say go buy an LED
But that meens that you cant startup Netflix or youtube apps....dont think that many users will choose that...
And i didnt watch Netflix startup screen for hours...or minuts,this is result of stacking and color of logo.

Attachments

Parry

Distinguished Member
But that meens that you cant startup Netflix or youtube apps....dont think that many users will choose that...
And i didnt watch Netflix startup screen for hours...or minuts,this is result of stacking and color of logo.
I have Netflix and youtube setup , I had them setup on my c7 for 2 and a half years with PIR ftom other apps.
Now you could of had one of these panels that is more susceptible to it or did you or someone in your home maybe leave the app main screens on screen for long periods of time ? Because with the Netflix app for example it will play clips of new content in the top part of the screen which will stop the screen from dimming on oled models which dont have logo luminace setting that on 2019 models.
The same applies to you tube app if you dont select the video and then put it into full screen viewing your leaving elements on screen that will leave PIR.

MEGATAMA

I have Netflix and youtube setup , I had them setup on my c7 for 2 and a half years with PIR ftom other apps.
Now you could of had one of these panels that is more susceptible to it or did you or someone in your home maybe leave the app main screens on screen for long periods of time ? Because with the Netflix app for example it will play clips of new content in the top part of the screen which will stop the screen from dimming on oled models which dont have logo luminace setting that on 2019 models.
The same applies to you tube app if you dont select the video and then put it into full screen viewing your leaving elements on screen that will leave PIR.
No it was not long time present on screen unfortunatly,and i also got burn in from FF14 after around 100h of game time but only from red icons in game hud.
And i really play diverse content,movies,games,tv shows,hdr,sdr....

Parry

Distinguished Member
No it was not long time present on screen unfortunatly,and i also got burn in from FF14 after around 100h of game time but only from red icons in game hud.
And i really play diverse content,movies,games,tv shows,hdr,sdr....
Not good mate ,what model was it

aoaaron

I mean regardless, he's using a TV's native app.

LG should include a user-guide how you need to use the apps to minimise burn in if its such a huge risk factor or custom code it to avoid static elements for a long period of time.

MEGATAMA

I mean regardless, he's using a TV's native app.

LG should include a user-guide how you need to use the apps to minimise burn in if its such a huge risk factor or custom code it to avoid static elements for a long period of time.
Lg should change colors of Netflix and Youtube apps,at least that one on tv.

Parry

Distinguished Member
So same panel as my c7 which was great for me for 13k apart from image retention from HDR gaming ,this would have been permanent if I had not spotted it when I did .
Its definitely looks like high oled setting again there.
Yours was not in shop mode was it

MEGATAMA

So same panel as my c7 which was great for me for 13k apart from image retention from HDR gaming ,this would have been permanent if I had not spotted it when I did .
Its definitely looks like high oled setting again there.
Yours was not in shop mode was it
No it was not,but burn in on my B7 was all from SDR source....YT and Netflix logos....sdr......FF14....sdr game..

Parry

Distinguished Member
No it was not,but burn in on my B7 was all from SDR source....YT and Netflix logos....sdr......FF14....sdr game..
Have you viewed full field 10%-20% test patterns on it ?
If not you could try them and see if the actory calibration test pattern was visible, if it was that's something you could go to LG with .