Quantcast

OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

MEGATAMA

Yes, I got a 7 year warranty from TPS but the TV is very tightly embedded in a fabric (acoustically transparent) wall, which would have to be completely replaced to take the TV out...so not sure it's worth the effort. Other factor is that I bought the E6 specifically for 3D, which is obviously not an option on newer sets.

Can it actually be repaired?
For repairing burn in they replace panel but i m quite shoor there is no more panels for your model so thy can only give you back money or new TV model.

renny

For repairing burn in they replace panel but i m quite shoor there is no more panels for your model so thy can only give you back money or new TV model.
I'm told they WILL replace the panel and they're available, but they no longer have a 3D filter so the 3D functionality will be lost.

the hoff

Thanks to all, I'll have to think about this, as if it does end up being a massive problem, I might have to really consider losing 3D (I'll have to let my installer worry about the fabric wall etc..)

renny

Thanks to all, I'll have to think about this, as if it does end up being a massive problem, I might have to really consider losing 3D (I'll have to let my installer worry about the fabric wall etc..)
The problem being, the new panel has no other improvements - so you could end up in the same position in a couple of years time. That's the thing that's putting me off (that and having the same panel without 3D).

sagaris99

I know this, but the replacement panel doesn't have 3D so then they may just be the same panel - it's only a 3D filter that they seemed to have removed with the repalcements.
The panel fitted to the G6/E6 was a different spec to that fitted in the C6 (Curved 3D) and B6. it wasn't just a filter.

MEGATAMA

In my case i know that new panel is no long term solution because i cant evade red/yellow/orange colors.
This is first TVs in my life that i need to watch what is present on screen and i dont like it a bit.

Homeby51

Hold on...I thought the general consensus here by those "experts" was that burn in was a rare problem caused by manufacturing defects?

Personally, I think this whole OLED experiment is going to be a big fail. The word is slowly spreading about burn in and the normal consumer will stay away. I know I would have never made the mistake of buying and OLED if I would have known then what I know now. For the average viewer, the picture is nice...sure but it's not THAT nice when compared to a LED of lesser money.

Think about it....suppose it were speakers instead of video displays with this problem. Suppose a new technology came out that made speakers sound "better" than any others before. They charged a high premium for these speakers but those few audiophiles thought it was worth it. But then it was discovered that after a couple years the speakers started sounded muddied and distorted at certain frequencies that is popular in music. Would people continue to spend hard earned money for these speakers that needed repair or replacement every two years?

Last edited:

renny

The panel fitted to the G6/E6 was a different spec to that fitted in the C6 (Curved 3D) and B6. it wasn't just a filter.
Well I've been misinformed then.

So what panel are they looking to fit to problematic E6's then - are they just making the same panel but without 3D?

MEGATAMA

Picture on oleds is fantastic but when you have burned elements on screen thats on same level of anoying as a light bleed on average led tv.
And when you think that you payed 2000eu for that there is no excuse....
I also noticed that almost all burned in TVs are from LG brand....or thy sell so much more tvs then others or there is some other reason.....

sagaris99

Well I've been misinformed then.

So what panel are they looking to fit to problematic E6's then - are they just making the same panel but without 3D?
As for the panel being fitted, i don't know. An E6 owner on here recently had it replaced and kept 3d. I can only surmise that given the customer base demanding to keep 3d, it is in their interest to manufacturer a low number of 3d panels.
The panel fitted to the E6 and C6 is the LC550AQD-GJP8
The panel fitted to the B6 is the LC550AQD-GJA6

To know what was the current situation, we would need to see the part number on the box of a replacement panel before it was fitted.

the hoff

The problem being, the new panel has no other improvements - so you could end up in the same position in a couple of years time. That's the thing that's putting me off (that and having the same panel without 3D).
Agree, a replacement is not a true 'solution' unless I stop watching Netflix or take some other unrealistic action to avoid solid blocks of colour/logos. I was hoping to hold onto this TV for a few years yet but I'm doubting if this will be possible given it seems much easier than I'd thought to get burned in images.

I really can't stress how shocked I am by this, as I really thought I was being careful and (as mentioned previously) had owned plasmas for around 15 years without a single instance of screen burn...I had no idea it was so much easier to burn an OLED

I might have to talk to my installer about the possibility of replacing the panel but I would guess this is going to cost a lot of money to do...

MEGATAMA

Just got call from tehnician,us i expected they dont have panels so now i need to go to store to pick new tv model or take money back 😁
Now is only question q90r or E9.......i think i will take q90r.

furryhobnob

Distinguished Member
Just got call from tehnician,us i expected they dont have panels so now i need to go to store to pick new tv model or take money back 😁
Now is only question q90r or E9.......i think i will take q90r.
Money back is surely more than the cost of a q90?

the hoff

Feel ya pain mate, it's strange but when you think your safe it pops up out of the blue.. Have you done the big screen clean thing, can't remember what it's called on the LGS ?

Great set up by the way.
Ran the clean screen function a couple of times and it has improved it slightly...does running it multiple times have a cumulative effect? Or is it now the best I can expect?

the hoff

Hence i never truly trust reviewers, especially those so called experts someone keeps bringing into any debate.. I'm surprised he ain't pop in yet to comment on the last couple of burn in cases that popped up today..

Nothing to see, move along... The experts say..........

Lol.
I think what's really disturbing about this from my point of view is that nowhere (in terms of reviews, not forum threads like this one) did I read before I bought the set that the burn in is cumulative. I had assumed that it was like it was with plasma, if you left a bright static image on for a long time it can burn in. Whilst that is true with OLED, you can clearly (and I'm talking from my own experience) get problems from repeatedly highlighting the same area, even if the individual 'exposure' is not so long.

This is a fundamental difference with plasma burn in and would have been a big factor when I was choosing the TV, as the second version is very difficult to completely avoid if you use any kind of interface for accessing streaming services etc. That's not even thinking about the likes of Sky News, CNN etc.

Parry

Distinguished Member
I think what's really disturbing about this from my point of view is that nowhere (in terms of reviews, not forum threads like this one) did I read before I bought the set that the burn in is cumulative. I had assumed that it was like it was with plasma, if you left a bright static image on for a long time it can burn in. Whilst that is true with OLED, you can clearly (and I'm talking from my own experience) get problems from repeatedly highlighting the same area, even if the individual 'exposure' is not so long.

This is a fundamental difference with plasma burn in and would have been a big factor when I was choosing the TV, as the second version is very difficult to completely avoid if you use any kind of interface for accessing streaming services etc. That's not even thinking about the likes of Sky News, CNN etc.
Only resently has it come to light that heat will speed up burn in process , you say your set if fitted in a wall ? Is very well ventilated as that could cause big problems for oled .

the hoff

Only resently has it come to light that heat will speed up burn in process , you say your set if fitted in a wall ? Is very well ventilated as that could cause big problems for oled .
Yes, it's not a real wall, it's a thin fabric but the back is completely open, so should not be any chance of it heating up...how can I check if it's running "too" warm?

The fabric is about 30 cm (at least) away from the real wall, so should be plenty of space for air to circulate

Parry

Distinguished Member
Yes, it's not a real wall, it's a thin fabric but the back is completely open, so should not be any chance of it heating up...how can I check if it's running "too" warm?

The fabric is about 30 cm (at least) away from the real wall, so should be plenty of space for air to circulate
It should feel cool as there run cold.