OLED SCREEN BURN ( permanent image retention)

The insignificance in the C8 and C9 series is impossible to evidence until time has elapsed so that we can judge whether they will develop burn in.

Most burn in reports seem to occur after 2-3 years and as you might be able to figure out, 2018 and 2019 sets haven't been in consumer's hands for that time period yet.

The C8 models have been in consumers' hands for about 2 years now. Should be long enough to start seeing some burn-in reports with them, if it's happening. Have no burn-in on my C8 that I've had for ~14 months now. Keep forgetting to check how many hours I've got on it. I've been fairly careful with it, though.

OK, just checked the big burn-in poll thread. Looks like about 5% of 2018 model owners reporting there are reporting some burn-in.

Last edited:
I didn't say that nobody has experienced burn in. I just said it was rare and insignificant. There are very few people who have reported burn in on Forums and You Tube compared to the millions of OLED TVs that have been sold.

The problem is that certain members embellish the burn in problem on You Tube and Forums. Again I am not saying that you or others haven't experienced burn in, but I am saying that burn in gets blown way out of proportion on You Tube and Forums.

If you read what the experts say you will find out that burn in is rare from 2016 and onward. You have criticized me before for relying on what the experts say. We just use different sources to draw our conclusions.

I’d say burn in is quite significant if the retailer and manufacturer won’t cover it as standard, wouldn’t you?

It’s a big enough problem for the manufacturer to acknowledge it in their warranty,

I suspect you’d feel different if you were affected having dropped £2-3k on a set.

The AVForums poll says that 35% of 2016 OLED TVs have burn in and 13% of 2017 OLED TVs have burn in. There is a lot of valuable information on AVForums and YOU TUBE but to just blindly accept things as truth because you read it on AVForums or You Tube doesn't seem like the most scientific approach.

Last edited:
It was rare with the C6 and C7 models also. The only place there is a significant problem with these TVs is on YOU TUBE and Forums.

Not true, mine is in my living room, many others are too, I suspect.

Daft thing to say, what other public platforms should be used instead?!

I’d say burn in is quite significant if the retailer and manufacturer won’t cover it as standard, wouldn’t you?

It’s a big enough problem for the manufacturer to acknowledge it in their warranty,
When you buy very reliable automobiles they only warranty their drive trains for 60,000 miles. Does that mean that they don't expect the transmission to last a 150,000 miles? Think of all the things on your car that are only covered for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles. Does that mean that these parts are only designed to last for 36,000 miles?

From many of the recent posts on AVForums it sounds like LG is repairing TVs even though it isn't covered on the warranty.

Daft thing to say, what other public platforms should be used instead?!
These are circular talks. Both sides just keep saying the same thing.

There is a lot of good information on AVForums you just have to be aware that there is information that is also questionable and embellished.

[/QUOTE]
This is your best Forum for OLED Burn IN. Good source of information.

Below is some of the information from this Forum.
Useful facts:
  • The risk of burn in with OLEDs is actually less than it was in the Plasma days. It's no more likely to happen now than then.
  • Its not only OLEDs that can suffer from burn in, abuse any type of display (even LCD) and you can get burn in. Just take a look at some of the old LCDs in pubs.
  • Youtube is full of people claiming to be experts and misleading people, do not believe everything you watch on Youtube. I don't want to name and shame but there are some really laughable content creators out there who literally will say anything to make a few extra views. Do not believe their rubbish! I am sure if you read this, you know the kind of channels I am talking about.
From Rtings.com*
Although we don't expect most people who watch varied content to have any issues, OLED TVs, such as the LG OLED C9 do have the possibility of experiencing burn in.

Vincent Teoh
OLED Burn In Risk is Overblown

Consumer Reports
Their statistical data shows that OLED Burn In is such a rare occurence that they don't even mention it as anything to be concerned with except for some 2015 OLED TVs.

Geoffrey Morrison and David Katzmaier of CNET
If you vary your TV viewing habits like most people, however, it won't be an issue. Even so, caveat emptor. Or as Caesar once said, "Conscientiam autem ardeat sed non anxius" (be aware of burn-in, but not concerned).

John Archer of Forbes
Occurrences of permanent screen burn in the real consumer world are now and will continue to be rare.

Atomicus of Chichester
One thing that seems abundantly apparent is that while by no means should it be suggested that burn-in doesn't exist, the problem is nowhere near as widespread or as much a certainty as some people fear and/or lead others to believe.

When you buy very reliable automobiles they only warranty their drive trains for 60,000 miles. Does that mean that they don't expect the transmission to last a 150,000 miles? Think of all the things on your car that are only covered for the first 3 years or 36,000 miles. Does that mean that these parts are only designed to last for 36,000 miles?

From many of the recent posts on AVForums it sounds like LG is repairing TVs even though it isn't covered on the warranty.

I can only talk about my own experience with LG, not others’, again I’ll say if it’s such a rare occurrence you’d expect them to help.

How many people have contacted them just like I did and got the same answer, except these people don’t take it any further? Or Users who are less meticulous than people who post here?

You seem to be arguing for the manufacturer, which is a little odd, instead of listening to genuine peoples experiences and taking them at fave value, in the same way you’re taking “the experts” opinions on similar face value.

If it was such a minuscule issue why have RTings et al decided to do burn in tests? Surely it must’ve taken a bit of noise from disgruntled consumers to make them sit up and notice?

Follow up from above.
My wife and I were talking and I think we are at the point where after we get the new screen...we may sell it as a perfect OLED TV and use the money for an LED. I mean....honestly my old eyes probably won't notice too much. My parents live in an apartment on my property and they just got a 55 inch LG LED for $450 and the picture looks damn good for normal viewing. What do you all think?
Yes. Get an LED and let normal life resume.

Switch on tv. Watch stuff. Switch off.

Repeat hundreds of times with no worries

I can only talk about my own experience with LG, not others’, again I’ll say if it’s such a rare occurrence you’d expect them to help.

How many people have contacted them just like I did and got the same answer, except these people don’t take it any further? Or Users who are less meticulous than people who post here?

You seem to be arguing for the manufacturer, which is a little odd, instead of listening to genuine peoples experiences and taking them at fave value, in the same way you’re taking “the experts” opinions on similar face value.

If it was such a minuscule issue why have RTings et al decided to do burn in tests? Surely it must’ve taken a bit of noise from disgruntled consumers to make them sit up and notice?
Rtings.com does the burn in tests primarily to market their website. They want you to be confused when you get done reading their analysis. Think of all the advertisement they get for their website because of their burn in tests.

I am not a marketer for OLED Panels, just repeating what the experts unanimously say, OLED Burn in can happen if you abuse your TV or some anomaly happened to your panel in the manufacturing process, but the probability of someone experiencing burn in is rare.

Rtings.com does the burn in tests primarily to market their website. They want you to be confused when you get done reading their analysis. Think of all the advertisement they get for their website because of their burn in tests.

I am not a marketer for OLED Panels, just repeating what the experts unanimously say, OLED Burn in can happen if you abuse your TV or some anomaly happened to your panel in the manufacturing process, but the probability of someone experiencing burn in is rare.

You’re accusing rtings of trying to drive traffic to their site via blowing up the oled problem.

Why aren’t you accusing the ‘experts’ you reference of papering over the cracks and flaws of oled burn in to stay in their good favour?

Most ‘experts’ you quote have a vested interest in not bashing LG (advertising, getting samples, being invited to events, to drive their own internet traffic, sponsorships with tv resellers)

Also ‘abuse’ is a vague and terrible term to use

You’re accusing rtings of trying to drive traffic to their site via blowing up the oled problem.

Why aren’t you accusing the ‘experts’ you reference of papering over the cracks and flaws of oled burn in to stay in their good favour?

Most ‘experts’ you quote have a vested interest in not bashing LG (advertising, getting samples, being invited to events, to drive their own internet traffic, sponsorships with tv resellers)

Also ‘abuse’ is a vague and terrible term to use
I think special precautions is a misleading term. Most OLED owners take no special precautions when watching their TVs and have never experienced burn in. There are a few people on AVForums and You Tube who have experienced burn in with normal use, but I believe this is caused by some anomaly in the manufacturing of their panels and not the engineered design. If your panel is manufactured correctly with out unintentional flaws then I believe you would have to abuse your TV in order to experience burn in.

Why do you think 20 percent of Vizio and Hisense LED TVs experience significant problems within the first 5 years while 80 percent are still working fine after 5 years. Could it be because of anomalies in the manufacturing process or do you think it is because Vizio and Hisense LED technology is bad on 20 percent of their TVs?

Last edited:
Let's maintain some respect for other posters please. Some of the more recent comments are anything but...

I think special precautions is a misleading term. Most OLED owners take no special precautions when watching their TVs and have never experienced burn in. There are a few people on AVForums and You Tube who have experienced burn in with normal use, but I believe this is caused by some anomaly in the manufacturing of their panels and not the engineered design. If your panel is manufactured correctly with out unintentional flaws then I believe you would have to abuse your TV in order to experience burn in.

Why do you think 20 percent of Vizio and Hisense LED TVs experience significant problems within the first 5 years while 80 percent are still working fine after 5 years. Could it be because of anomalies in the manufacturing process or do you think it is because Vizio and Hisense LED technology is bad on 20 percent of their TVs?

I actually agree with you.

I do think it’s some flaw in design and the majority of burn in users have faulty panels.

However it’s the fact this fault isn’t covered which makes it hard to be on the side of LG. I honesty feel some users have unluckily bought faulty panels or tvs, and got burn in due to that.

It should be covered and sorted.

I actually agree with you.

I do think it’s some flaw in design and the majority of burn in users have faulty panels.

However it’s the fact this fault isn’t covered which makes it hard to be on the side of LG. I honesty feel some users have unluckily bought faulty panels or tvs, and got burn in due to that.

It should be covered and sorted.
Now from AVForums and YouTube everybody has to decide what percentage of the panels have manufacturing flaws in them. My personal analysis of AVForums and YouTube entries is that the number of defective panels is quite low in comparison to the millions of OLED TVs sold.

Everytime I make a statement like this somebody will respond, but it happened to me. I am not saying that there aren't people out their that have bad panels. With any product the quality control isn't going to be perfect, just is it a significant problem for the "majority" of OLED owners or a only a "few" (rare occurrence).

I am sure there are people that have bought BMW or Toyotas that have had the transmission go out right after the warranty ran out. Because this is a rare occurrence I still have confidence in BMW and Toyota's Engineering. Likewise, I think we should be a little less critical of LG OLED TV panels reliability. Especially when compared to some of the LED TV manufactures like Hisense, Vizio, RCA, Westinghouse, etc.

Did you get anywhere with LG? I have an E7 with a similar issue and have been refused a repair from John Lewis so will have to the LG/small claims court route too.
I was contacted by my local Richer Sounds customer service manager via John Clayton from one of the posts on here. He took my serial number and said he’d contact me soon.

Now from AVForums and YouTube everybody has to decide what percentage of the panels have manufacturing flaws in them. My personal analysis of AVForums and YouTube entries is that the number of defective panels is quite low in comparison to the millions of OLED TVs sold.

Everytime I make a statement like this somebody will respond, but it happened to me. I am not saying that there aren't people out their that have bad panels. With any product the quality control isn't going to be perfect, just is it a significant problem for the "majority" of OLED owners or a only a "few" (rare occurrence).

I am sure there are people that have bought BMW or Toyotas that have had the transmission go out right after the warranty ran out. Because this is a rare occurrence I still have confidence in BMW and Toyota's Engineering. Likewise, I think we should be a little less critical of LG OLED TV panels reliability. Especially when compared to some of the LED TV manufactures like Hisense, Vizio, RCA, Westinghouse, etc.
If this is a result of a manufacturing flaw then why isn't their other products report the same failure rate? Why don't people complain of LED burn in at the same rate? They both include manufacturing processes, no?
Nah....you can repeat the same old song and dance in every single thread regarding OLED burn in but it's getting almost comical. And btw...still waiting on your response justifying your logic that if a consumer fears burn in from an OLED...then they shouldn't buy one. Again...if burn in was as rare as you claim then those who are afraid of burn in should be the very ones you can give your sales pitch to to because you can make a believer out of a naysayer.....

If this is a result of a manufacturing flaw then why isn't their other products report the same failure rate? Why don't people complain of LED burn in at the same rate? They both include manufacturing processes, no?
Nah....you can repeat the same old song and dance in every single thread regarding OLED burn in but it's getting almost comical. And btw...still waiting on your response justifying your logic that if a consumer fears burn in from an OLED...then they shouldn't buy one. Again...if burn in was as rare as you claim then those who are afraid of burn in should be the very ones you can give your sales pitch to to because you can make a believer out of a naysayer.....
They do complain at the same rate just not in the oled burn in folder. The same members don't repeat the same thing over and over like on OLED burn In threads, but if you look at the number of owners complaining it is comparable.

With TVs like Hisense, Vizio, Element, RCA, Westinghouse the complaint rate is much higher.

Every expert says that if you fear burn in then get an LED. The reasoning behind this is that fear and anxiety will destroy your enjoyment of life.

Yes. Get an LED and let normal life resume.

Switch on tv. Watch stuff. Switch off.

Repeat hundreds of times with no worries

Last edited:
They do complain at the same rate just not in the oled burn in folder. The same members don't repeat the same thing over and over like on OLED burn In threads, but if you look at the number of owners complaining it is comparable.

With TVs like Hisense, Vizio, Element, RCA, Westinghouse the complaint rate is much higher.

Every expert says that if you fear burn in then get an LED. The reasoning behind this is that fear and anxiety will destroy your enjoyment of life.

I have one simple question for you.. Yes or no will do..

Can all oled TVs burn in. .?.

I've seen no evidence that some panels (from a given model year) are more prone to burn-in than others. Without someone running an actual test (like, idk, rtings.com?) with multiple identical panels running the same content, who can know? It's just guessing.

I've seen no evidence that some panels (from a given model year) are more prone to burn-in than others. Without someone running an actual test (like, idk, rtings.com?) with multiple identical panels running the same content, who can know? It's just guessing.
Vincent Teoh’s burn in test was with the E8

Vincent Teoh’s burn in test was with the E8

Right, but he only had one. I was thinking it would be interesting to see two (or more) identical panels running material known (or suspected) to cause burn-in, for identical amounts of time. See if one burns more than another. AFAIK nobody has done that, so any supposition about some people's panels of a given model being more prone to burn in than others is just that: pure supposition.

You want to see burn in? Here's a C7 we have at work, which was used (for reasons I couldn't begin to explain) as a display running material with fixed borders, logos, etc, all day every day. All those horizontal and vertical lines you can see are from the stuff it was displaying at one time. The company I work for produces hardware and software for the TV production/distribution industry, so we have a lot of panels mounted on walls that continuously show the same stuff.
20200115_143405.jpg

It's totally ruined. Sad, really. Even using it as a monitor in one of the meeting rooms would have been better than what they did use it for, because at least there it would be put to sleep when it wasn't being used.

On further thought, they may have acquired this panel and used it that way, at least at first, because it was 4k capable. We have a crap-ton of older 1080p LCDs mounted on walls around here.

Last edited:
Right, but he only had one. I was thinking it would be interesting to see two (or more) identical panels running material known (or suspected) to cause burn-in, for identical amounts of time. See if one burns more than another. AFAIK nobody has done that, so any supposition about some people's panels of a given model being more prone to burn in than others is just that: pure supposition.
If only one in every 200 panels were bad that would be a lot of panels to test before you got a bad one.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom