• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Oled screen 128gb internal storage less than £200?

leedebs

Prominent Member
Hi all, bit of a long shot but is there any phones out there that have the subject specs available to buy new in the uk? My J5 Samsung is constantly running low on internal storage & have moved all apps where possible to sd card etc but keep getting message saying lack of storage. Love the screen & so still want amoled just need more space. Probably prefer android as suspect apple is more.expensive anyway. Would consider s/h but new preferred
Ta

leedebs

Prominent Member

Here's a starting point 51 phones to pick from :)
Thanks but a bit misleading the info on there, for example the A30s samsung one doesnt have an oled screen when you take the link to buy from Amazon or maybe the info on the Amazon site is not right. When searching on the net I found some of the phones imply they are oled but are not hence why I asked in here.

Steven

Senior Moderator
I think you should try to find a previous OLED model at a lower price today

For example OnePlus 5 or Samsung S8

I would be cautious of anything with RRP capped at £200 for OLED display, would want to scrutinise the colour accuracy and consistency. A great LCD display is preferable to a compromised OLED display

leedebs

Prominent Member
I think you should try to find a previous OLED model at a lower price today

For example OnePlus 5 or Samsung S8

I would be cautious of anything with RRP capped at £200 for OLED display, would want to scrutinise the colour accuracy and consistency. A great LCD display is preferable to a compromised OLED display
Yeah good point, do the older oled models come with decent capacity internal storage though......will search those 2 models you mention

leedebs

Prominent Member
Price even s/h for those is too much tbh
Back to the drawing board, cheapest Samsung with oled is around £260 new so either I increase budget or look at lcd.......

Steven

Senior Moderator
Or purchase a 256gb SanDisk or Samsung micro SD card from a legit seller and be done with it

Can even increase the micro SD capacity without affecting the price, but if you record high resolution video you would want higher speed micro SD cards. Make sure it is UK network version or an international version it will run on UK networks

Edit:

If you do not mind your data passing through servers located in China the Xiaomi branded smartphones are probably the cheapest entry point for OLED display

Last edited:

leedebs

Prominent Member
Have a 32gb sd card that is only half used, the internal capacity is the issue, moved as many apps as possible over to sd card but some are not allowing me to. I have 600mb space on the phone & get messages stating storage is low as soon as I take pictures or try to download an app etc. Even though all pictures and videos, pretty much everything etc are set to download to the sd card.

leedebs

Prominent Member
Or purchase a 256gb SanDisk or Samsung micro SD card from a legit seller and be done with it

Can even increase the micro SD capacity without affecting the price, but if you record high resolution video you would want higher speed micro SD cards. Make sure it is UK network version or an international version it will run on UK networks

Edit:

If you do not mind your data passing through servers located in China the Xiaomi branded smartphones are probably the cheapest entry point for OLED display

Thanks been looking at that thread

leedebs

Prominent Member
Its android - back all your photos, videos up to Google Photos, and then clean them out of your phone.
Done that, nothing taken up with photo or videos, it's just apps (that I need/use) and system memory etc. Although WhatsApp video/photos I am not sure stay on the phone???

lee667

Distinguished Member
How about a samsung a51 for £195 plus a pair of free headphones worth £129?

Basically the Sammy is £329, using code save15 will get 15% off plus you can trade in your old phone for another 80 odd quid off making it just a shade under £195.

As long as your old phone is in good working order without a cracked screen then you should be fine, Samsung will deduct the amount and then send a prepaid bag to send your old phone in.

It's got 128gb storage and an amoled screen if that's ok?

I can't see anything in the small print about not getting the headphones if you trade in or use the code, though that offer is only until nest Wednesday.

leedebs

Prominent Member
How about a samsung a51 for £195 plus a pair of free headphones worth £129?

Basically the Sammy is £329, using code save15 will get 15% off plus you can trade in your old phone for another 80 odd quid off making it just a shade under £195.

As long as your old phone is in good working order without a cracked screen then you should be fine, Samsung will deduct the amount and then send a prepaid bag to send your old phone in.

It's got 128gb storage and an amoled screen if that's ok?

I can't see anything in the small print about not getting the headphones if you trade in or use the code, though that offer is only until nest Wednesday.
That sounds great thanks will look into that👍

lee667

Distinguished Member
That sounds great thanks will look into that👍

No worries :) here's a pic from the dummy order I did:
Screenshot_20200828-173344.png

Be aware you need to select misc phone for the trade in as the j5 isn't listed under the samsung list.

My wife used this to swap her old Huawei for a new a71. That wasn't listed under Huawei so I did a live chat and they said to put it under misc as long as it was in good condition.

Also, you don't have to send the charger or cable, just the phone.

When you use the discount code with the trade in it deducts the 15% off the trade in value as well as the list price but you'll still be sub £200.

leedebs

Prominent Member
Decided to up the budget, been thinking of the Pixel 4a, smaller but cannot get on with the larger phones anyway. Has oled screen, decent camera & stock android. Only slight concern is no expandable storage but 128gb should be sufficient, also not sure on its battery life.....also looking at the cheaper M31 from Samsung that resolves both this issues but its larger and camera not so good and also not stock android. Decisions 🙄

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom