OLED Replacement for VT65 Plasma

PlayerOne

My Panasonic 65VT65 is developing an increasingly annoying audible buzz when displaying quiet and bright scenes, (but my wife claims she can't hear it... lol).

So am considering a new 4K OLED, however...
  • I only watch Blu Rays (1080p) and non-4K Streams from Netflix and Amazon Prime and Freeview TV.
  • I'm not bothered about TV speaker quality (everything I watch plays through a decent 5.1 Sound System).
  • I'm not bothered about the the Smart TV OS or Apps on the TV (I have a Firestick in the back of an Oppo BDP105).
  • I'm not bothered about gaming latency.
What is important to me is...
  • 'out of the box' picture quality.
  • no motion blur or judder.
  • a TV that is silent (ie no fan noise or 'plasma like' buzz).
The new OLED will be wall mounted and watched in a darkened room. Size will be 65-77 inches. Budget is around £3k.

Any advice welcome - thanks.

Last edited:

Dodgexander

Out of the box accuracy look at LG B1 and up or Panasonic JZ980 and up which score 9/10 instead of 8/10 with the others.

All OLEDs have stutter compared to plasma, they are sample, and hold displays.
Motion blur is basically non-existent on all but the cheaper A1, and even that TV has very little.
People tend to think Sony and Philips have better motion, but even LG and Panasonic are fine for most people.
Judder is caused by a miss-match in frame rate, all TVs apart from the LG A1 always refresh a multiple of the source frame rate, so don't suffer from it. However, people often get judder and stutter mixed up.

You can go for the very cheapest models if you intend to avoid 4k and HDR material but considering you don't get a lot of choice and will get delivered HDR whether you like it or not in some circumstances it's probably better avoiding TVs in the comparison that mention they are dimmer.

tvdavid

Sony a90j i would get if you wish to save a little LG C1.

PlayerOne

Thanks guys - I wasn't aware of OLED stutter, but am now concerned!

As I watch a lot of 24fps content I'm wondering if OLED is the right technology for me. Of the current TV technologies, which would be best for movie watching at 24fps?

Dodgexander

You'll have to try it and see. LCD TVs stutter too, but just not as much.
Because of the stutter many people choose to use motion interpolation whereas in previous years people would stoutly keep this disabled to avoid SOE.

So its a personal thing, and you won't really know if it bothers you without trying.

tvdavid

Sony X95J if you decide you want an LED TV.

Ash26

Standard Member
Sony 77" AG9 is £2,400 in Costco. it is a 2019 model but in my opinion still one of the best Oleds. Its motion handling is very good so can dial out any of the 24ps stutter.

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
LG C1 77" is £2,399 in Costco with the discount code.

I upgraded my Panasonic 55VT50 to the previous 77" CX model and like you are concerned about stutter\judder as I notice it a lot. To the point where the other half is like what are you on about...:rolleyes:

The odd time I noticed stuff was when it was a particularly bad encoding and an odd occasion but the improvement in quality IMHO makes up for any negatives.

Also while you have a firestick does that run in Dolby Vision as the native apps in LG support that and some of the streaming services quality for DV content is really good :)

InToon

I've recently moved from 55VT65 to 65JZ1500 and am happy I took plunge. Absolutely loved the plasma for movies and was very nervous changing over to OLED. There are some very minor issues if you really look hard for them, as there were with the plasma!. However the JZ1500 with OOTB settings (i.e Filmmaker for movies) just puts a big smile on my face 99% of the time.

generalgizmo

If your a plasma lover then I'd go for a Panasonic personally.. especially if its blurays or streaming and similar menus to vt, zt so be easier to setup..

Turn ifc to off, bfi min if need be and picture mode in professional 1 or 2...
Just like a better plasma, but still cinematic picture... I have the hz2000 in 65 and had the ez952 in 55inch prior and the picture and black levels on that were a step up from my voltage tweaked pioneer kuros In bluray 1080p....
Only downside currently is panasonic oleds max out at 65inch whereas Sony LG etc are 77, 83, 88..
I'd def look at a jz1500 same master panel as the 2000..
I love my hz2000 but the speaker system isn't as great as price premium bumps it up to... doubt they're much better than side speakers for my kuro... however I got it at a good price so can't complain and like yourself have a dedicated setup...
But... once you see 4khdr it's a step up again from 1080p.... some movies are jaw dropping... be prepared to shell out on some more discs...!!! :facepalm:

scarie

If your a plasma lover then I'd go for a Panasonic personally.. especially if its blurays or streaming and similar menus to vt, zt so be easier to setup..

Turn ifc to off, bfi min if need be and picture mode in professional 1 or 2...
Just like a better plasma, but still cinematic picture... I have the hz2000 in 65 and had the ez952 in 55inch prior and the picture and black levels on that were a step up from my voltage tweaked pioneer kuros In bluray 1080p....
Only downside currently is panasonic oleds max out at 65inch whereas Sony LG etc are 77, 83, 88..
I'd def look at a jz1500 same master panel as the 2000..
I love my hz2000 but the speaker system isn't as great as price premium bumps it up to... doubt they're much better than side speakers for my kuro... however I got it at a good price so can't complain and like yourself have a dedicated setup...
But... once you see 4khdr it's a step up again from 1080p.... some movies are jaw dropping... be prepared to shell out on some more discs...!!! :facepalm:
I totally agree look at the jz range I had a kuro and vt so can relate to the poster as well I have jz2000 now as well as the Phillips 935
I viewed the Sony a90j at the time of already have the Phillips both great but over processed compared to the jzs beautiful organic piture
Please don’t get worried about reviews there always misunderstood or taken as faults and not points of reference

generalgizmo

I totally agree look at the jz range I had a kuro and vt so can relate to the poster as well I have jz2000 now as well as the Phillips 935
I viewed the Sony a90j at the time of already have the Phillips both great but over processed compared to the jzs beautiful organic piture
Please don’t get worried about reviews there always misunderstood or taken as faults and not points of reference

So I'm not mad :laugh: and not only one that seems the Sony has a sort of led look to it then... Great tv but just like a natural plasma look... I asked in RS if the picture had changed on the sonys as looking at a 48inch oled for back sitting room and like the idea of sound built into the TV.. but they said it's same sort of pic may go panny again and add a soundbar ...??
It'll replace an older b&o beovision 7-40..
takes up too much space and stand has stopped rotating...
how do you find the phillips in comparison to the Panasonic... may be an idea and like the idea of ambilight...
My wife works from home and has gmtv, loose women on in background I was wondering if led may be better... ?? She says up to me and doesn't care but loves the kuro and thinks the hz2000 is amazing and will pick holes if pic isn't good..

I want good pic but..Then again...tbh I'll hardly use it ...apart from Mrs in that room one of my daughters will use it in evenings with their boyfriend or friends to watch something different.... I'll only be doing the building work... again...

My den and hz2000 are out of bounds...!! invite only..:lesson:

scarie

So I'm not mad :laugh: and not only one that seems the Sony has a sort of led look to it then... Great tv but just like a natural plasma look... I asked in RS if the picture had changed on the sonys as looking at a 48inch oled for back sitting room and like the idea of sound built into the TV.. but they said it's same sort of pic may go panny again and add a soundbar ...??
It'll replace an older b&o beovision 7-40..
takes up too much space and stand has stopped rotating...
how do you find the phillips in comparison to the Panasonic... may be an idea and like the idea of ambilight...
My wife works from home and has gmtv, loose women on in background I was wondering if led may be better... ?? She says up to me and doesn't care but loves the kuro and thinks the hz2000 is amazing and will pick holes if pic isn't good..

I want good pic but..Then again...tbh I'll hardly use it ...apart from Mrs in that room one of my daughters will use it in evenings with their boyfriend or friends to watch something different.... I'll only be doing the building work... again...

My den and hz2000 are out of bounds...!! invite only..:lesson:
Lol your not mad no
You seem like myself buy for your requirements
So both my TVs have excellent sound systems the Phillips is better for music but both great the jz better for movies both great
Jz is better for TV movies and gaming but the Phillips is very good for the bedroom the ambilight is truly such an awesome experience

Attachments

• 1B2EBAEB-F69C-4379-83A0-3196D38B194D.jpeg
    1B2EBAEB-F69C-4379-83A0-3196D38B194D.jpeg
    189.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

generalgizmo

Lol your not mad no
You seem like myself buy for your requirements
So both my TVs have excellent sound systems the Phillips is better for music but both great the jz better for movies both great
Jz is better for TV movies and gaming but the Phillips is very good for the bedroom the ambilight is truly such an awesome experience

That looks cool....:cool: in a darkened room bet it really shines... I used to think the ambilight was just a gimmick but think I might have to check it out...!!!

I think all the oleds are great in their own way but just can't do some led tvs and that's what the Sony looked like to me ... Halloween on demo looked like it was in a studio and not an actual film the Panasonic gave me that so I've stuck with them...and my wife would react the same... hates that studio look..
But the Sony has the sound...
I just don't want the TV to sound like a wasp in a coke can..
Only recently I added a sub to the kuros side speakers in family room as done away with setup.. the only full setup now is in my den..
The back room we just need a decent sound without speakers everywhere again...

scarie

The ambilight should be on every tv you can always turn it off
I'm the same I want the rooms to look good I have a sub on the jz

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom