Quantcast

Oled reliability

pocketsleo

I'm about to make the jump to an Oled tv, and although i'm still not sure exactly which one yet, i'm becoming increasingly worried about how many of you have had problems with them.
I have a 10yr old Pioneer plasma that i have owned from new, and it hasn't missed a beat, and is still a great picture!
I wonder how many of you will still have your oled tv after 10 years?

OLEDExpert

I doubt if there are many 10 year old OLED TVs. Early OLED TVs were not near as reliable as the OLED TVs are today. Also it wasn't until around 2013 until they started getting popular.

I still have a Panasonic plasma from 2008. It is 720p and looks better than a lot of todays LED TVs because of the unlimited viewing angle and motion, but my OLED TV is much better.

Last edited:

XbrVito

Standard Member
I have the same concerns. I just purchased a C9 55 Inch. It arrives tomorrow. I am retiring a 17 year old Sony HD CRT that has been a tank with reference picture and motion and would likely last another decade. I am excited for the size upgrade and to try the new technology but I do not have faith in it, I am hoping I get at least 5 years out of the oled. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised, but only time will tell as I think we are still early adopters.

OLEDExpert

You will have so many “experts” giving their exaggerated opinions regarding OLED Burn In it will turn you into a basket case.

Last edited:

rousetafarian

If you want to ease your worries AVForums is the last place you want to come. You will have so many “experts” giving their conflicting opinions it will turn you into a basket case. Consumer Reports is the best source for reliability, since their advice is based on actual statistical data. They say OLEDs by LG and Sony are highly reliable.
The irony of your username hasn’t gone unnoticed, you misread his first post.

pocketsleo

I've took the plunge and bought an lg oled e9. :clap:
Although it comes with a 5yr warranty, i'm more concerned with the screenburn issue, so i will come back in 3yrs and see if i'm still happy. :D

sagaris99

I've took the plunge and bought an lg oled e9. :clap:
Although it comes with a 5yr warranty, i'm more concerned with the screenburn issue, so i will come back in 3yrs and see if i'm still happy. :D
Early tip would be to set the oled light level to somewhere about the 60 mark to help avoid image retention 👍

enjoy

staffy 2

My E7 was perfect not one issue for the first 12 months.Id got no tint and never seen any bands in anything.So it was annoying when it did it’s 2000 hour one hour pixel refresh that introduced bands.It suppose to even the picture out but it took mine from perfect to bands.I got use to them and to fair you had to consciously look for them to see them but they were there,With time they faded a bit but at 2 years old it’s just done it’s second 2000 hour pixel refresh and introduced more pronounced bands again so I’m sure they will settle again.
Why do theses one hour pixel refresh cycles that are supposed to keep the image pristine introduce bands and does everyone have bands to some extent.Why was my tv perfect and band free for 12 months.
Theres a big but though and that is Id never swap Oled for anything else as the image is simply stunning.Look for trouble constantly and you’ll find it but sit back and enjoy your tv and get engrossed in the content you watch and it’ll be spot on.Even the bands the last pixel refresh introduced do not affect my content it’s a simply stunning image and I know they’ll fade again after 100 hours like last time.

pocketsleo

Early tip would be to set the oled light level to somewhere about the 60 mark to help avoid image retention 👍

enjoy
Cheers.
I've also read Vincent teoh reccy to turn the tv to standby instead of unplugging from the wall - i have done that with my plasma since owning from new, and i have no screenburn after 10yrs.
Any other tips would be welcome. :)

OLEDExpert

The irony of your username hasn’t gone unnoticed, you misread his first post.
My point was regarding OLED Burn In which is a reliability issue. The probability of burn in can get exaggerated on AVForums. I probably should have explained it better. You are the moderator so you can delete my previous entry.

pocketsleo

My E7 was perfect not one issue for the first 12 months.Id got no tint and never seen any bands in anything.So it was annoying when it did it’s 2000 hour one hour pixel refresh that introduced bands.It suppose to even the picture out but it took mine from perfect to bands.I got use to them and to fair you had to consciously look for them to see them but they were there,With time they faded a bit but at 2 years old it’s just done it’s second 2000 hour pixel refresh and introduced more pronounced bands again so I’m sure they will settle again.
Why do theses one hour pixel refresh cycles that are supposed to keep the image pristine introduce bands and does everyone have bands to some extent.Why was my tv perfect and band free for 12 months.
Theres a big but though and that is Id never swap Oled for anything else as the image is simply stunning.Look for trouble constantly and you’ll find it but sit back and enjoy your tv and get engrossed in the content you watch and it’ll be spot on.Even the bands the last pixel refresh introduced do not affect my content it’s a simply stunning image and I know they’ll fade again after 100 hours like last time.
Can you turn the pixel refresh off?

staffy 2

No Im sure you can’t on the E7 but you can on the 9 series but not sure about the 8 series.Ive just gone into the settings and there’s no off on my E7.
I wonder if that’s why they let you turn it off on later models as it can introduce problems.Can anyone confirm you can’t turn it off on the 7 series as I can’t find anything in the settings.

BlairH

I've had OLEDs since 2015. I'm kind of addicted to them; but even the oldest one (a 2015 LG 960V) is still going strong; with no image retention or anything of the sort. I don't really take any special precautions. I even use a B7 as a computer monitor. It's fine.

Your results may vary.