OLED Price Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disappointed with price changes this year so far, it seems that prices haven't dropped relative to last year or are possibly even higher. This obviously bucks a years long trend.

Maybe the trend for annual price reductions for oled has stopped?

Disappointed with price changes this year so far, it seems that prices haven't dropped relative to last year or are possibly even higher. This obviously bucks a years long trend.

Part of the reason is that the launch prices have been lower, so less room for cuts.

For example, the 65FZ802 was £3499 at launch. The 65GZ950 (same TV but with Dolby Vision/Atmos added and better processor etc) was £2499.

Extremely disappointed with OLED pricing. Just now Samsung 65 8k drop to 2399, I am considering this instead of going with 65 E9, 8k with HDMI 2.1 burn free and flagship QLED

Extremely disappointed with OLED pricing. Just now Samsung 65 8k drop to 2399, I am considering this instead of going with 65 E9, 8k with HDMI 2.1 burn free and flagship QLED

That's ex-demo

Oh I didn’t notice that, thanks I was about to buy it. For sure it will come down by March.

I think people need to be patient. When the new sets are actually released, prices will come down, especially for LG OLED’s. I don’t think Sony or Panasonic prices are a surprise, they don’t come down quickly and never have.

The surprise for me is the 77” LG’s, they have been slow to come down but there is still time. We aren’t even into March, plenty of time.

How does the sound on the E9 compare to that of the GZ1500?

I'm waiting for the 65GZ1500 to hit £1999 but if the E9 goes to £1999 again it could be an alternative option.

I've just got delivery of my 65GZ1500 today, i previously had a 55" LG E7 which had the best sound out of all the different E series models released so far, i would say the 1500 is slightly poorer but thats only on about an hours listening and more tweaking to try....the E9 sound isnt as good as the E7 was so possibly both would be about equal ?

I've just got delivery of my 65GZ1500 today, i previously had a 55" LG E7 which had the best sound out of all the different E series models released so far, i would say the 1500 is slightly poorer but thats only on about an hours listening and more tweaking to try....the E9 sound isnt as good as the E7 was so possibly both would be about equal ?

Presumably adding an external sub would make a decent improvement? If I get the 1500 then I would probably add a sub at a later date.

I'm currently using an older Samsung soundbar and wireless sub - not Atmos but very good sound. Though the new neighbours next door are not huge fans of the bass haha.

Would prefer to pay an extra £200-£300 for a TV with a decent built-in solution than £500-£600 for a separate Atmos soundbar at the moment.

Presumably adding an external sub would make a decent improvement? If I get the 1500 then I would probably add a sub at a later date.

I'm currently using an older Samsung soundbar and wireless sub - not Atmos but very good sound. Though the new neighbours next door are not huge fans of the bass haha.

Would prefer to pay an extra £200-£300 for a TV with a decent built-in solution than £500-£600 for a separate Atmos soundbar at the moment.

Yes i think adding a sub would do the trick...there seems to be a few Panasonic owners done that.....it's something i will be looking into soon.....same here i prefer to have decent inbuilt sound.

You don't need to buy from THT - you contact JL or RS and get them to match it :facepalm:
:laugh::rotfl::laugh:

Yes, you are absolutely right! It had been a long day when I posted my reply at 11.15pm. How embarrassing!:blush:
Must have left my brain at the studio...:facepalm:

Last edited:
Where you found it for 2099? I can’t see it everywhere it’s 2499. Please share the link

I reckon the 65 C9 may dip below £1,800 when the 2020 models reach the shops.
Funny, I was just looking at US price trends in LG oled tvs for 2019/2020 and found the initial price points the tvs were when they came out compared to now, at least in the US.

These were printed in March 2019 and I added current prices for today.

C9 LG OLED TVs
55" OLED55C9 - $2,499 (available in April) In Feb 2020 $1200.00
65" OLED65C9 - $3,499 (available in April) In Feb 2020 $1899.99
77" OLED77C9 - $6,999 (available in May) In Feb 2020 $3899.99
E9 LG OLED TVs (glass)
55" OLED55E9 - $3,299 (available in June) In Feb 2020 $ N/A
65" OLED65E9 - $4,299 (available in April) In Feb 2020 $2099.99
W9 LG SIGNATURE OLED TVs (wallpaper)
65" OLED65W9 - $6,999 (available in June) In Feb 2020 $5999.99
77" OLED77W9 - $12,999(available in June) In Feb 2020 $9999.99

It occurred to me, some of these prices were cut in 1/2 within 10 months of release, not even a year!!

So based on this, if this remains a constant strategy then it seems the best time to buy a new tv is either Black Friday or beyond, After November prices drop significantly and if you can wait, this years X series will most likely follow the same trends.
If you know there isnt anything special coming to the lineup this year, worthy of note, then maybe buy now while they are at their lowest point.

Just by chance my wife and I have bought a new tv every 6 years to the month because we plan tv purchases around our tax returns, so we dont bother saving all year, we just plan that that particular year we will buy a new tv, our budget will be based on our return.
By doing it this way we accidentally ended up buying at the end of each items life cycle so we saved a lot of money on each purchase.

In 2008 we bought a 60" Mitsubishi dlp tv they were $1600 we got one for $800 cash
In 2014 we bought a 70" Vizio P series they were $2599.99 I paid $2000.00 cash
In 2020 we bought a 65" Lg E9 Oled they were on sale for $2999.99 but we paid $2100.00
So it just sort of worked out that way for us and we got lucky without thinking about it.

Last edited:
@lumper What have you got planned for 2026? 85" 16K MicroLED should be affordable by then! :)
LOL, I Was thinking about this the other day, I still have all three tvs I have bought since 2008 and use them.
I was thinking in 2025/26 I will be maybe looking at mini led, dual panel etc.. they are working on some next level tech now, that wont be worked out for a few years yet then a few more years of tweaking and improving and finally price stabilization, like with Oleds, 5 years ago these oleds were very expensive compared to today.
The tech they are talking about now like 8k mini leds promise to come very close to oleds in performance, and if they can get there and remove any possibility of burn in, I think that will be the tech that takes over the tv landscape far and wide, but meh, time will tell.

So by the time I am ready, in say 6 years, I will do what I always do, look at the current landscape of tvs, figure out what is going on and find something within my budget of $2000.00 - $2500.00 and make a decision, who knows what the future holds.
I never planed any of these tv purchases, it just kind of worked out that way.
Luckily with a $2000.0 budget there are lots of possibilities and it is fun to shop for tech at this level, this is poor mans high end, rich folks might not bat an eye at a $4000.00 tv, but to me if I can own one for half that I feel like I really pulled one out of my hat, like this time around.

Not sure where that user got it for that price but it’s that price here.

WoW thats the price, I paid US $2099.99 plus tax, it came to $2232.50 shipped.
I bought mine in the US from Beach Camera, un-advertised price, I had to email them and tell them I knew they were selling them for that ( and the C9 for 1799.99) through greentoe and asked if they would sell to me at that price, they said yes, so that is how I did it.

WoW thats the price, I paid US $2099.99 plus tax, it came to $2232.50 shipped.
I bought mine in the US from Beach Camera, un-advertised price, I had to email them and tell them I knew they were selling them for that ( and the C9 for 1799.99) through greentoe and asked if they would sell to me at that price, they said yes, so that is how I did it.
I dont know if Hughes is an authorized dealer or not so I would look at that too, just make sure, if so, thats the place to buy it from.
EDIT:
I just checked with LG UK and Hughes is on the Authorized list, so that looks like a deal right there, I am really surprised, see in the US, to get that price you have to ask and you need to know that they will sell it under their advertised prices, they cant advertise that price here.
It was on sale for $2999.99 but I was able to get them to agree to 2099.99 despite the fact that nobody else advertised it for any less than the $2999.99 price point.
I just realized that those prices in the US would translate to around 1400 or 1600 pounds, at 2099.99 pounds that is $2600 us dollars, I forgot about the rate of exchange.

Last edited:
You are awesome man, you can also get £40 off using save40, £2059 is not bad at all.
I just looked, 2099.99 pounds is $2600 us I paid 2099.00 us dollars for the E9, 1899.99 for the C9 so I think that would be like 1600 and 1400 UK pounds.

I just looked, 2099.99 pounds is $2600 us I paid 2099.00 us dollars for the E9, 1899.99 for the C9 so I think that would be like 1600 and 1400 UK pounds.
Lucky man, it’s frustrating for us, it is always like this here in UK for us. But difference is crazy, 1600 would be wow price for 65 E9 in Uk. Shipping and import charges will be high otherwise I would get it form US.

Yeah that stinks, if we had to pay those prices, ID probably be looking at 55" B9's
I did find a way to cut prices pretty well to get to the prices I was quoted and paid, but that does seem like a big difference.
It seems like they are 400 to 600 pounds cheaper here.
During Super bowl people were paying $1799.99 for 65" C9s shipped, in some cases no tax. or 1380.00 pounds.
Too bad, by the time you ship it and pay custom fees you are better off paying the higher price in the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom