OLED Price Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I see that the OLED65C6V, which had for a while been £2999 at Currys, is now £3299.

Is this the ten percent increase result from the weakened pound that we were warned would take effect once the long-agreed Black Friday week pricing came to an end?

Desk

So I see that the OLED65C6V, which had for a while been £2999 at Currys, is now £3299.

Is this the ten percent increase result from the weakened pound that we were warned would take effect once the long-agreed Black Friday week pricing came to an end?

Desk
Probably more like filling the requirements for being at a higher price for 28 days in time to reduce again for the January sales, ie WAS £1,000,000 NOW 99p!

Exactly - weaker pound won't kick in on any of the 2016 range as I would imagine they have all been bought and shipped in many, many moons ago ...

I don't doubt that the manufacturers will look at the situation in 2017 and think they can milk a bit more out of the UK market though.

There's plenty of weaker currency's than the pound out there. And they buy there TV's a lot cheaper than we do.

Desk

TV manufacturers along with all other suppliers of manufactured goods will charge whatever the market will stand. If LG do increase their OLED prices it won't be down to the £ it'll be because A; they've got the market almost cornered and B; we mugs will pay!

There's plenty of weaker currency's than the pound out there. And they buy there TV's a lot cheaper than we do.
Exactly this, and the fact the manufacturing costs will be cheaper, I think next years oleds will be a similiar price when first released or slightly cheaper, I think next years oleds will be printed panels which significantly reduces the cost, so prices should go down

Exactly this, and the fact the manufacturing costs will be cheaper, I think next years oleds will be a similiar price when first released or slightly cheaper, I think next years oleds will be printed panels which significantly reduces the cost, so prices should go down

No way will next year's OLEDs be produced using printed panels.

The only reference to LG adopting printing is a pilot line which is set to be established next year. Adopting this method of production is still some way off, and converting the existing mass manufacturing process to this method will be a significant undertaking.

Desk

No way will next year's OLEDs be produced using printed panels.

The only reference to LG adopting printing is a pilot line which is set to be established next year. Adopting this method of production is still some way off, and converting the existing mass manufacturing process to this method will be a significant undertaking.

Desk
I thought that I'd read earlier in the year that by year end they would have a new manufacturing place up and running and they would be printing panels, either way each year they make oled panels they must be improving yield, I don't see a significant rise in the cost

I am curious - what currencies are there that are "weaker" than Sterling? i.e. have fallen by more against the dollar than Sterling since 23 June?

Since Brexit Sterling has fallen by 16% against the US Dollar. In the same period the Yen is the major currency with the next biggest fall at 7%. Then the Euro at 6%, Swiss Franc at 5%, Chinese Renminbi 4.5%, Canadian $ 4%, Australian $ by 2.5% and Indian Rupee 1.5%. So none of those currencies are "weaker" than the Pound.

I am curious - what currencies are there that are "weaker" than Sterling? i.e. have fallen by more against the dollar than Sterling since 23 June?

Since Brexit Sterling has fallen by 16% against the US Dollar. In the same period the Yen is the major currency with the next biggest fall at 7%. Then the Euro at 6%, Swiss Franc at 5%, Chinese Renminbi 4.5%, Canadian $ 4%, Australian $ by 2.5% and Indian Rupee 1.5%. So none of those currencies are "weaker" than the Pound.

With regards to the weakness of the pound, its worth noting that the pound will drop even further when the Government trigger Article 50 in March next year especially if its a 'hard' Brexit.

This is around the the time next year's Oled's will be available so it could mean prices will be at least as high as this years models or even higher.

With regards to the weakness of the pound, its worth noting that the pound will drop even further when the Government trigger Article 50 in March next year especially if its a 'hard' Brexit.

This is around the the time next year's Oled's will be available so it could mean prices will be at least as high as this years models or even higher.
I doubt we will know whether it will be a hard Brexit or not when we trigger article 50. Triggering article 50 only starts the process of negotiation.

I doubt we will know whether it will be a hard Brexit or not when we trigger article 50. Triggering article 50 only starts the process of negotiation.

Exactly, I believe we will see fluctuations in both directions. The recent lows priced in hard Brexit. In the last week we've seen comments suggesting it may not be a hard Brexit (the prospect of paying to stay in the open market have been muted) and GBP has strengthened accordingly. We are likely to see such fluctuations throughout the negotiations as various snippets leak out from either side.

Moreover, one should remember this is not a zero sum equation with Brexit the only variable. The rest of the world has its own issues and potential to spook the currency markets. There is Trump across the pond. And closer to home the Germans/French/Italians/Spanish have their own impending Brexit type bombshells.

Hollande has just stepped out of the upcoming election race. Polls suggest Marine Le Pen may get through the first run off, which will surely destabilise the Euro should that come to pass. Merkel is looking over her shoulder. The Spanish can't agree on who should govern them. Renzi may only be saved by the expats. And everyone has forgotten that Greece is still broke. And these are only the issues we know about, theres still the unknown.

If anyone is so certain GBP will tank, my advice is forget about OLED prices. Put your money against GBP and you can likely buy the fabled 77" OLED without flinching. I on the other hand think there are lots of twists and turns to come :( so don't have the balls to guess either way.

I see a lot of people talking about TPS. Forgive my ignorance, but to me that means the Telephone Preference Service and I'm sure they don't sell TVs!

I see a lot of people talking about TPS. Forgive my ignorance, but to me that means the Telephone Preference Service and I'm sure they don't sell TVs!

The Perfect Signal.

They are based in Manchester.

The Perfect Signal.

They are based in Manchester.

Can't say I would put in much faith with their 7 warranty. Small business like that could easily be skint in a years time and your warranty is worthless then!

Better off buying from JL.

Last edited:
I was wondering that myself.

Can't say I would put in much faith with their 7 warranty. Small business like that could easily be skint in a years time and your warranty is worthless then!

Better off buying from JL.
They have been around for years now hosted a few forum meet ups and demonstrations of new ranges of TVs, we're advertisers on here, and I believe provided some Tvs to avf to review.

I personally have had a few Tvs off them over the years.

They have been around for years now hosted a few forum meet ups and demonstrations of new ranges of TVs, we're advertisers on here, and I believe provided some Tvs to avf to review.

I personally have had a few Tvs off them over the years.

Still a little business that could go skint very easy = no warranty.

Unlike John Lewis.

Unlike John Lewis.

They could also grow of course, like John Lewis:

1864 John Lewis opens a small drapers shop in Oxford Street. Takes 16s 4d on his first day.

Unlike John Lewis.

Agreed, any business small or large (BHS, Woolworths etc) could easily go out of business, but as far as I understand it, their 2 year warranty extension only starts at the end of the LG 5 year one? So your point is kind of mute as what's better than a manufacturer's warranty?

I personally love JL & think their CS is outstanding, and have bought my last 3 main TV's from them, but would rather give my money to a local smaller/independent retailer with virtually the same warranty.

Anyway, the prices are very tempting....

Need to get my building work out of the way after Christmas, then decide on a 55 or 65? B6 or E6?. Then decide to see what CES brings, then how cheap this years are compared to the new models, then probably something else to decide on..............:D

They could also grow of course, like John Lewis:

1864 John Lewis opens a small drapers shop in Oxford Street. Takes 16s 4d on his first day.

I only buy from JL. Nobody else. Their customer service is outstanding from my experiences with them.

And 152 years in business gives me confidence they will be around to honour their warranty.

I only buy from JL. Nobody else. Their customer service is outstanding from my experiences with them.

And 152 years in business gives me confidence they will be around to honour their warranty.

Fair enough. I was only offering an alternative view in the interests of balance. :)

There is also the issue of companies using BREXIT as an excuse to increase their profit margins. Corporations love economic confusion as it can used to convince the public that higher prices are the result of forces beyond their control rather than, a way to line their shareholders pockets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom