Oled panel life

My 2016 G6 is still going strong. No image retention, burn in, tinting, or uniformity issues whatsoever.
Nice, well that makes me feel great.
I think the 2019 9 series have the best protections against possible burn in to date so if there are 3 and 4 year old models out there without issues it gives me hope.

We get a 5 year warranty in the UK from most retailers.LG cover the first 12 months and anything after that is through the warranty the retailer supplied so my extended warranty covered my new screen.Id take an extended warranty if you can.Dont LG seem to look after you better in the US.In the UK they try to fob us off although they have replaced panels out of warranty but it’s hit and miss.
Sorry just realised your in the UK are you so buy from someone with a 5 year warranty included.

I’ve just had my LG B7 replaced after 18 months due to logo burn in and a horizontal line across most of the screen matching where a news banner would be. Changed it for another OLED, an E9 from LG. I think our main problem is that as we are retired the tv is on quite a bit and we do watch some news but during the daytime we switch it off quite a bit so it’s never on for four or more hours so it can do a mini pixel refresh

Hi - can I ask which retailer agreed to replace the TV?

What I would like to know is how is how LG came up with the figure of 100,000 hours of lifespan.
For example, what content is being watched during that 100,000 hours and at what level of brightness and at what is the permitted level of colour degradation/shift.

From what I have been reading about the lifespan of the underlying OLED emitter compounds green can last that long but red has a significantly shorter lifespan than green and blue does not get anywhere near red. Over time you would expect an OLED's colour to drift away from the true levels and toward green as blue and then red will fade first. This colour drift is not an issue for LCD (including QLED) as all colours are driven by a single backlight so will all fade equally.

Although to be fair to LG all they state is that the panel's lifespan as measured by the point it's overall brightness falls by 50% is 100,000 hours.

You do not need any blue at all to reach 50% brightness - red and green together have enough brightness to reach 50%. So all of the blue emitters could have completely faded to zero brightness - so you are watching only a green and red picture - but so long as the total brightness of red and green is still reaching 50% of its initial level then as far as LGs ageing parameter is concerned this is completely acceptable.

Someone else mentioned that LG is a listed company so cannot lie. That is simply not true - a listed company cannot issue statements that mislead investors. However, It is unlikely that incorrect quoted specs constitute misleading shareholders. (Also LG are listed in Kporea an

If all the blue emitters faded completely after 20,000 hours and for the next 80,000 hours the picture is only in red and green but still maintains 50% brightness then LG's statement is 100% true - the lifespan of the display is 100,000 hours. Even if someone would have had to throw it away and replace it after 20,000 hours.

This is why I am always dubious of any manufacturers specified performance metrics unless they specify in detail how those metrics are measured.

A good example of this is published contrast ratios on LCDs. Many manufacturers publish contrast ratios in the hundreds of thousands - I have just looked at a monitor with a claimed contrast ratio of "5,000,000:1"

When measured using the ANSI standard checkerboard to measure contrast no LCD (even one with full array local dimming) gets above about 5,000 to 1. However,I assume that the monitor manufacturer is legally correct - it is just how they do the test e.g. test the lowest black level by showing a completely black screen and giving the backlight time to completely shut off and then measure the highest white level when showing a small white block on screen with the contrast etc turned up to max.

What I would like to know is how is how LG came up with the figure of 100,000 hours of lifespan.
For example, what content is being watched during that 100,000 hours and at what level of brightness and at what is the permitted level of colour degradation/shift.
for a fun read, check the cause of degradation part below.
With numbers like that, burn in we see in relatively current products may be more related to impurities in production than flaws of the underlying technology

My first OLED, an LG 930V which I gave to my old mother-in-law, must be about six years old now and is still performing faultlessly, with no sign of image retention and still puts up an excellent picture. My own LG E6V is now over three years old and is as as good as the day I bought it.

Last edited:
My C9 is four months old and when i play games on it for maybe 1-2 hours a day, i'm using 100 OLED-light and contrast for SDR and HDR. I just don't like playing games at lower brightness than this. For SDR movies etc. i use very low OLED-Light tough. Overall i don't care about burn-in, i'm just sticking to the basic rules and using the TV with some kind of awareness.

The only thing that is guaranteed is Samsung's 10 year screen burn warranty lol. :)

The latest generation of OLED TVs now has a lifespan of 100,000 hours, This is equal to 30 years, if a user watches a OLED TV for 10 hours a day.

From Rtings.com*
Although we don't expect most people who watch varied content to have any issues, OLED TVs, such as the LG OLED C9 do have the possibility of experiencing burn in.

Vincent Teoh
OLED Burn In Risk is Overblown

Consumer Reports
Their statistical data shows that OLED Burn In is such a rare occurence that they don't even mention it as anything to be concerned with except for some 2015 OLED TVs.

Geoffrey Morrison and David Katzmaier of CNET
If you vary your TV viewing habits like most people, however, it won't be an issue. Even so, caveat emptor. Or as Caesar once said, "Conscientiam autem ardeat sed non anxius" (be aware of burn-in, but not concerned).

John Archer of Forbes
Occurrences of permanent screen burn in the real consumer world are now and will continue to be rare.

Listen to Staffy2 and the experts, enjoy your OLED TV and don't worry about the overblown hype.

Can i ask if you are posting here in an official capacity?
Do you have any links with LG or the OLED industry?
The reason i'm asking is due to the sudden appearance of certain posters only making posts to defend OLED. You know "OLED EXPERT"s.
In the era of fake reviews, or opinionators, i think it only fair that you declare your status or interest here..

Can i ask if you are posting here in an official capacity?
Do you have any links with LG or the OLED industry?
The reason i'm asking is due to the sudden appearance of certain posters only making posts to defend OLED. You know "OLED EXPERT"s.
In the era of fake reviews, or opinionators, i think it only fair that you declare your status or interest here..
That’s from January 27th. Let’s agree to disagree on whether OLED Burn In is a rare occurrence, pandemic, or somewhere in between. There are different opinions. If you want to believe OLED Burn In is pandemic then your best place to look is social media. If you want to believe OLED Burn In is a rare occurrence then look to consumer reports scientific statistical data. If you want to believe it is somewhere in between then split the difference.

That’s from January 27th. Let’s agree to disagree on whether OLED Burn In is a rare occurrence, pandemic, or somewhere in between. There are different opinions. If you want to believe OLED Burn In is pandemic then your best place to look is social media. If you want to believe OLED Burn In is a rare occurrence then look to consumer reports scientific statistical data. If you want to believe it is somewhere in between then split the difference.

I have to say that is the weirdest reply i've ever read on a forum. I notice you avoided answering my question.
You then proceed to carry on a non existent argument. I'll be having a word with the site owner. I doubt honest reasons are why you are on this forum...

Last edited:
I have to say that is the weirdest reply i've ever read on a forum. I notice you avoided answering my question.
You then proceed to carry on a non existent argument. I'll be having a word with the site owner. I doubt honest reasons are why you are on this forum...
I would call these valid opinions. Some people think the professional TV reviewers are in on some big conspiracy. Because I put faith in their opinions your getting bent way out of shape.

The latest generation of OLED TVs now has a lifespan of 100,000 hours, This is equal to 30 years, if a user watches a OLED TV for 10 hours a day.

From Rtings.com*
Although we don't expect most people who watch varied content to have any issues, OLED TVs, such as the LG OLED C9 do have the possibility of experiencing burn in.

Vincent Teoh

Consumer Reports
Their statistical data shows that OLED Burn In is such a rare occurence that they don't even mention it as anything to be concerned with except for some 2015 OLED TVs.

If you vary your TV viewing habits like most people, however, it won't be an issue. Even so, caveat emptor. Or as Caesar once said, "Conscientiam autem ardeat sed non anxius" (be aware of burn-in, but not concerned).

John Archer of Forbes
Occurrences of permanent screen burn in the real consumer world are now and will continue to be rare.

Listen to Staffy2 and the experts, enjoy your OLED TV and don't worry about the overblown hype.

It's definitely happened on floor models, but they're operated under anything but normal conditions. Brightness is all the way up and they run an endless loop, often with the most spectacular images.

I've noticed that most stores have the OLEDs running a different loop than the LEDs. The LEDs often have static images, like a warranty message in a corner of the screen. The OLEDs will flash something like that and then remove it. The stores have gotten smart about burn-in risks and found ways to avoid it. Since they've made those changes, I've not seen burn in.

I think avoiding burn in with the current generation of OLEDs just takes a modicum of basic knowledge and care.

@Paul D Re "OLED DEFENDERS" to use your terminology, I can assure you that my post (#56) was purely stating the facts that the two OLEDs I am totally familiar with have never shown the slightest sign of IR or burn-in.

Agree, I have an older ec930v oled, 2015 model & this has been used consistently since I bought it, no issues with ir or burn in, my step plasma in the same conditions worried me more with instances of ir tbh

@Paul D Re "OLED DEFENDERS" to use your terminology, I can assure you that my post (#56) was purely stating the facts that the two OLEDs I am totally familiar with have never shown the slightest sign of IR or burn-in.

My post was in no way aimed at you. I'm sorry if you were in any way offended etc. I didn't even see your post.
Unfortunately, the internet is now infested with professional/paid opinionators and autobots.
These are not genuine posters like yourself.
Their main purpose is to spread misinformation or propaganda (including fake reviews) for who ever sponsors them.
They are normally easy to spot. They have very monotone and repetitive answers. But they are getting better.
LG have invested a lot of money in OLED and they don't want poor reviews and people discussing its flaws. I'm not saying LG is directly involved, but there has been a sudden upsurge in people only interacting on sites concerning one subject.
I'm on a lot of sites, so see them quite often. Normally a few well chosen questions reveals them.
They don't last very long on the site afterwards.

My post was in no way aimed at you. I'm sorry if you were in any way offended etc. I didn't even see your post.
Unfortunately, the internet is now infested with professional/paid opinionators and autobots.
Their main purpose is to spread misinformation or propaganda (including fake reviews) for who ever sponsors them.
They are normally easy to spot. They have very monotone and repetitive answers. But they are getting better.
LG have invested a lot of money in OLED and they don't want poor reviews and people discussing its flaws. I'm not saying LG is directly involved, but there has been a sudden upsurge in people only interacting on sites concerning one subject.
I'm on a lot of sites, so see them quite often. Normally a few well chosen questions reveals them.
Good work Sherlock

When your doing detective work something to consider. Why would LG higher someone with my editorial skills. There many people out there with far better editorial skills on You Tube and Social Media than me.

I have absolutely zero affiliation with OLED TVs, LG, Sony, Skyworth, or any other OLED TV manufacturer.

Just an analytical and logical thinker.

Think about it every store that sells OLED TVs knows your pushing unproven conspiracy theories. If a Currys store sells 3000 OLED TVs and 30 of them get returned for burn in don't you think they would report that information.

Pandemic OLED Burn In only exists on social media.

Last edited:
Good work Sherlock

When your doing detective work something to consider. Why would LG higher someone with my editorial skills. There many people out there with far better editorial skills on You Tube and Social Media than me.

I have absolutely zero affiliation with OLED TVs, LG, Sony, Skyworth, or any other OLED TV manufacturer.

Just an analytical and logical thinker.

Think about it every store that sells OLED TVs knows your pushing unproven conspiracy theories. If a Currys store sells 3000 OLED TVs and 30 of them get returned for burn in don't you think they would report that information.

Pandemic OLED Burn In only exists on social media.

I haven't pushed any conspiracy theories about OLED screen burn. Please feel free to add any quotes from me that does.
I actually love OLED, but accept that it does have some limitations.
I simply asked you a question, and then explained why i was asking it.
I've been on this forum from the very start. I care about it. What it doesn't need is manufacturers paying people to defend them on here. Professional posters are frowned upon.
If you are a genuine member then fine. Why are you so defensive only on one subject though?

From what I have been reading about the lifespan of the underlying OLED emitter compounds green can last that long but red has a significantly shorter lifespan than green and blue does not get anywhere near red. Over time you would expect an OLED's colour to drift away from the true levels and toward green as blue and then red will fade first. This colour drift is not an issue for LCD (including QLED) as all colours are driven by a single backlight so will all fade equally.

You do not need any blue at all to reach 50% brightness - red and green together have enough brightness to reach 50%. So all of the blue emitters could have completely faded to zero brightness - so you are watching only a green and red picture - but so long as the total brightness of red and green is still reaching 50% of its initial level then as far as LGs ageing parameter is concerned this is completely acceptable.

Wrong on many fronts!
LG's LED emitters are all the same colour, they use colour filters infront of them to produce the individual colours. This is done to maintain consitent ageing.

Furthermore LG use RGBW filters with W being white. So no red, green or blue "emitters" , or more correctly "filters", are needed to produce white.

As for producing white from just red and green!!

I haven't pushed any conspiracy theories about OLED screen burn. Please feel free to add any quotes from me that does.
“Unfortunately, the internet is now infested with professional/paid opinionators and autobots.
LG have invested a lot of money in OLED and they don't want poor reviews and people discussing its flaws. I'm not saying LG is directly involved, but there has been a sudden upsurge in people only interacting on sites concerning one subject.”

“Unfortunately, the internet is now infested with professional/paid opinionators and autobots.
LG have invested a lot of money in OLED and they don't want poor reviews and people discussing its flaws. I'm not saying LG is directly involved, but there has been a sudden upsurge in people only interacting on sites concerning one subject.”

So no quotes of my spreading conspiracy theories about OLED screen burn then?
You can only quote me asking and explaining why i posted. Not very good at this are you.
Fakes reviews and fake news is a very real thing. It isn't even considered a conspiracy.
As i said, you could be genuine. Still doesn't explain why you only post about one subject.

I would call these valid opinions. Some people think the professional TV reviewers are in on some big conspiracy. Because I put faith in their opinions your getting bent way out of shape.

From Rtings.com*

Vincent Teoh

Consumer Reports

John Archer of Forbes

there are no panels left to repair the b6 , e7 models so there must be a widespread problem unless they barely produced any spares.

@Paul D Hi, I was not offended in any way by your post, I just wanted to stress that my post was purely stating my own experiences with two different OLED models.

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom