Oled panel life

With the OLED technology advancing so quickly, these newer models have improved their performance to help avoid burn in. Burn-in happens when you have your settings adjusted too bright and not evenly across others and leaving your TV on the same channel. These thermal type of burns are most common in older TVs left on for way too long, at an exaggerated amount of time on the same picture, causing these organic bulbs to repeatedly flash eventually burning too much carbon. However, newer models do a great job of displaying the blackest parts of the pictures. The deepest shadows can really look black, as in real life, rather than gray or pixilated. That isn't to say the LED models fall short in this category, but some differences you will see in the shadows of your displayed image. TVs like the OLED65C8PUA have been equipped with a burn in prevention. They have come a long way from the thicker older OLED models from before which didn't last as long. They had a great picture but it was too bright under certain settings. Now the newer models include their luminescence adjustment to avoid the chance of potential burn in. Many of these tvs are Recommended for their excellent viewing angle, and great HD quality and performance, which are common qualities for OLED sets.
My previous Oled TV was a LG 64 e6V. These was better in upscaling FHD picture than my current LG E9. But unfortunately the LG Oled65E6V had a burnin, after 2.5 years.
Despite the burnin protections. (Logodimmer, pixelshifting and pixel refresher )

T
My previous Oled TV was a LG 64 e6V. These was better in upscaling FHD picture than my current LG E9. But unfortunately the LG Oled65E6V had a burnin, after 2.5 years.
Despite the burnin protections. (Logodimmer, pixelshifting and pixel refresher )
2017 and previous models didn't have the logo dimmer.

If you can afford one, I'd get one. OLEDs PQ is really amazing and it makes things like DSE, BLB, halo effect all a thing of the past whilst providing best in class contrast ratio and deep beautiful blacks.

OLEDs do obviously run the risk of burn in and it sucks. If your viewing habits change over a years time and you decide you want to start using your TV as a monitor or to play games with static HUDs, its obviously going to be risky.

If you want crazy reliability then sadly LCD is probably the way to go, but that will involve constant compromises from day 1 (clouding, halo effect, back light banding, et.c) rather than a potential flaw which might evolve over years (burn in).

With the feature set of LG OLEDs, if you're a gamer, its hard to look past them too.

If you NEED the TV to last 5-10 years and not exhibit burn in, sadly no one knows the answer to that question until we have 10 year old sets and given the issues prevalent <5 years of usage, the writing is already on the wall. You only need to go on ebay and google and OLED model and see countless burned in TVs.. or this forum and see countless reports of users suffering with it.

But I still would buy one.

The Oled 65E6V have a logo dimmer.
I'm confident that the 2017 and 2016 models definitely do not have the logo dimming feature, it was added only in 2018.

If their logos are dimming, its more likely global dimming, which is still how TVs that don't have the logo dimming dim when there's logos...eg the Sony OLEDs.

I have an E7 and I’ve no settings about logo dimming.Im positive proper logo dimmimg came on the 2018 and onwards models.

Yeah, I made a similar topic. I'm worried because a lot of people on here have their sets burn in after 2 years, and another guys in my topic basically said it was laughable to even expect an OLED to last 4 or 5 years. It seems like these are the best TV's you can get now, but they aren't long lived, and for the price, I'm not really ok with that tbh. So not sure what to believe, or if I should go OLED or not.

We're watching ours sometimes 15hrs or more a day due to the fact I work nights. Most days it'll get 10+hrs of use and a mix of broadcast TV, Netflix and gaming. 2.5 years old, no issues.

I’ve just had my LG B7 replaced after 18 months due to logo burn in and a horizontal line across most of the screen matching where a news banner would be. Changed it for another OLED, an E9 from LG. I think our main problem is that as we are retired the tv is on quite a bit and we do watch some news but during the daytime we switch it off quite a bit so it’s never on for four or more hours so it can do a mini pixel refresh

I’ve just had my LG B7 replaced after 18 months due to logo burn in and a horizontal line across most of the screen matching where a news banner would be. Changed it for another OLED, an E9 from LG. I think our main problem is that as we are retired the tv is on quite a bit and we do watch some news but during the daytime we switch it off quite a bit so it’s never on for four or more hours so it can do a mini pixel refresh
The experts say the logo dimmer on the new sets, 2018 and onward, has fixed this problem. Hopefully they are correct and you wont experience logo burn in on your 2019 model. Of course there are always going to be a few people on YouTube that will report burn in even if it is not an issue. We see this with the 2018 results for gadgetobsessed's poll. When the people reporting of 2018 burn in on this poll were looked into 7 out of the 8 people were confirmed fraudulent claims.

I think he’s getting mixed up with the screen dimming feature which all OLEDs have

I must be so lucky with my LG65B6 2016 model as I have had no problems at all with it, I'm very happy with my OLED. :)
I'll just touch wood before I post this comment better to be safe than sorry :D

My A7 (1080p model/no HDR) is coming up to 3 years old and has gotten worse with age.

No burn in, but a lot of IR. Mostly black bars from 16:9 content. They eventually fade, but can be quite obvious for 5mins or so. Strange thing is my mix of content between full screen and letter box is very good.

Vertical banding has become more visible with age. It's always been there, but never really visible in content. Now it's clearly visible on light scenes with lots of grey or blue.

Only burn in I'm concerned about is the Netflix logo as we don't watch broadcast TV. My internet is slow so the logo can sit on the screen for a minute or two at times.

I'm looking to get shot of it. Prob wait until micro LCD has some pricing out/info on black levels and decide where to go from there.

This is all running on pretty dark settings too as the gf is very light sensitive. Oled light 20...

Poor TV overall. It's only saving grace is the blacks. That's the only reason I still have it. Couldn't face LCD blacks again, light bleed or haloing.

I had two and half years on a 55c7 , it was used very heavily in that time and clocked up 13k years.
Divide that over 5 years and its 7 hours a day .
Never had a problem with it in the time I've owned it .

Hixs banding is a fault so it’s worth a try to see if your retailer will help you

I am a good candidate for some advice.
I am now on the fence and maybe you can help push me one way or the other.

I really want to buy the Oled, everything is telling me to just get it, but others are scaring me with burn in stories.

I wish I could get real data about the number of lg oleds sold in 2019 and the number that experienced burn in.

I am a power user, 18 hours a day is not uncommon for me, all mixed content from xbx 1x gaming to streaming apps like Disney + and Prime, or youtube, to cable tv, and blu ray dvd’s. Is that too much for an Oled to handle?

I saw the burn in tests, I have heard both sides of it from users who have not had any problems after 3 years to users who had problems within 1 week, there doesnt seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. What would you do?

I am not a person with lots of money, this is a big purchase for me, I dont want to regret it, I am willing to maintain my tv, using recommendations from Lg to take care of the tv is not a problem for me, do I chance it? Am I being unrealistic?

My other option is to go with a solid LED that will allow me to mutli purpose use the tv and be good at everything, gaming is important to me, as is 4k hdr movies, and 4k content in general, I love high quality images and want the best I can afford. I am only looking at Oleds because as the 2019 models come to a close the price are in my range, ($2350.00 is my max) I can get the C9 or E9 within that when on sale in the next 4 to 6 weeks.
Then I think ok, lets say no Oled, so what would my second option be, a Qled?

Do I look for something else or get the Oled and take care of it and hope for the best?

I know it is subjective, others have said if you fear burn in, get an led, but I was hoping for more of a realistic opinion. Ill bail on the oled if you think I am not the type of user who should own one.

Each day I feel like, ok I know what I am goign to do then I read another post or see a review or a video and I question it all over again.
I think I am just going to buy one and see for myself at this point, I really do want one.

I will give you my honest opinion.My E7 is awesome.Its had a new panel at 2 years old but nothing to do with burn in as it developed banding.It took 3 mins to sort it on the phone with my warranty.Peter Tyson are good and so were Domestic and General.
2019 TVs are more robust or should be.Any tv can go wrong.Even I’m tempted by the 65 E9 as my E7 is 55 inch.So id say go Oled and I’m a power user like you and I game.My tv sees every premier league game.
Can burn happen well yes it can but lcd has issues like dse on football and haloing.Just go with what your heart tells you and that gut feeling.If you get a Q90R and don’t like it then return it as you’ve got to 14 days.If Mad Steve reads this he will help you as he has a Q90FN as well as a Panasonic OLED.
Feel free to ask me anything you want I don’t mind,

@lumper Go with your gut get an OLED you won't regret it, I've had mine over 4 year's and been happy watching it every day. I also watch for over 12 hours a day most days but have not gamed on it. Touch wood I have never had the slightest problem. :)

@lumper Go with your gut get an OLED you won't regret it, I've had mine over 4 year's and been happy watching it every day. I also watch for over 12 hours a day most days but have not gamed on it. Touch wood I have never had the slightest problem. :)

Apologies for that lot, seems to be the mobile Firefox, it wouldn't post so I tried again and after a couple of minutes it did that. I hope that a moderator will sort it out :D

Apologies for that lot, seems to be the mobile Firefox, it wouldn't post so I tried again and after a couple of minutes it did that. I hope that a moderator will sort it out :D
Sorted for you.

I will give you my honest opinion.My E7 is awesome.Its had a new panel at 2 years old but nothing to do with burn in as it developed banding.It took 3 mins to sort it on the phone with my warranty.Peter Tyson are good and so were Domestic and General.
2019 TVs are more robust or should be.Any tv can go wrong.Even I’m tempted by the 65 E9 as my E7 is 55 inch.So id say go Oled and I’m a power user like you and I game.My tv sees every premier league game.
Can burn happen well yes it can but lcd has issues like dse on football and haloing.Just go with what your heart tells you and that gut feeling.If you get a Q90R and don’t like it then return it as you’ve got to 14 days.If Mad Steve reads this he will help you as he has a Q90FN as well as a Panasonic OLED.
Feel free to ask me anything you want I don’t mind,
Thanks for all that information.
I am going to get one, Ive stopped wondering, Ive learned all I can and I feel good about it.
When you had a panel replaced at 2 years, did you have an additional warranty outside of LG?
I know the standard is a 1 year.
If I buy through GT or an authorized dealer directly I wonder what to do about warranty.
I know best buy has a 2 year for $200 or a little more and 5 year for $500 I dont really have it in my budget though, so I dont know if Square trade or some other 3rd party coverage is a good idea or what my options are.

Thanks for the reply.
I am glad to hear from users who have had them for 4 years or more and not had trouble, so thanks.

Thanks for the reply.
I am glad to hear from users who have had them for 4 years or more and not had trouble, so thanks.
My 2016 G6 is still going strong. No image retention, burn in, tinting, or uniformity issues whatsoever.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom