OLED, owned 4 different models. Disappointed.

jaysonrain

Novice Member
Can anyone tell me what the LGC8 is like for watching football & gaming? As I’ve read it has the worst of all the motion handling. It ticks a lot of boxes for me though.

staffy 2

Motion is a very funny issue.Some people are very sensitive to motion because we all have different eyes some more sensitive to the issue than others.Ive never seen any motion issues on any OLED tvs so thankfully it’s not an issue with my eyes.
I have an E7 so the C8 should be a tiny bit better but you need to go and veiw one with your eyes as that’s the only way you will know if you can see any issues.Its not much use relying on what other people say.

jaysonrain

Novice Member
Thanks. I tried last night by going to JL. They could only show me football through YouTube which is not very helpful. At best I got to see some freeview hd through an Ariel & that looked rubbish too. I would be watching on sky q. When I asked why they don’t have that set up he said it would cost too much in subscriptions. Surely it would be good for sky as it would probably get them more customers.

Last edited:

staffy 2

One thing I can say is Sky Q looks fantastic.Ive only had it two months now and even HD is loads better than it was on Sky HD and 4K looks great it’s a stunning picture.

jaysonrain

Novice Member
I’m torn between this & the Panny 802. I preferred the Panny from the demos they showed, but the LG would look better in my living room with it being silver, & we watch a lot of Netflix so Dolby Vision would be nice too.

staffy 2

You can never judge a tv until you have it at home all set up so either would look much better than in a showroom.Shame you don’t know someone close to you so you can veiw one to see if the motion is ok.If you do find the motion is a problem you could up and send it straight back but it’s a pain doing that.

ekotan

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is still looking for OLED options without any distracting processing problems, try the Panasonic GZ2000. Literally no banding whatsoever, incredibly uniform-looking and superb colour accuracy. No motion problems that I’ve noticed either, watching 24p content from streaming services as well as 50 Hz 1080i FreeView channels. BFI works well with 24p content but induces flicker on 50 Hz input. My previous TV was a professionally calibrated LG E7 which was also great, but the GZ2000 is in a whole other league in terms of picture and sound quality. I can’t wait to have this calibrated to see what it can really do

J STPS

I know this is an old thread, but if anyone is still looking for OLED options without any distracting processing problems, try the Panasonic GZ2000. Literally no banding whatsoever, incredibly uniform-looking and superb colour accuracy. No motion problems that I’ve noticed either, watching 24p content from streaming services as well as 50 Hz 1080i FreeView channels. BFI works well with 24p content but induces flicker on 50 Hz input. My previous TV was a professionally calibrated LG E7 which was also great, but the GZ2000 is in a whole other league in terms of picture and sound quality. I can’t wait to have this calibrated to see what it can really do

From what I've read the GZW2004 (EU model?) is calibrated by Panasonic. Panasonic has only calibrated their highest model, so not the 954, 1004 and 1506. That's part of the reason you pay more for the 2004 ;)

Tim2049

There's a strong argument that they're not worth the premium price tag though. I had a demo of one at a Crampton & Moore branch this saturday just gone and, although it's cool having such good sound on a flat screen, the image didn't appear to be different to any of the other OLEDs they had running.

I think the 'no banding/perfect uniformity' aspect is a bit overblown personally. One would hope most screens look pretty much perfect, the occasional horror story aside. Certainly true for me and my OLED.

Sure, it's a little bit brighter on paper than its competitors although, ironically, it lost out to the LG C9 for HDR performance in a recent shootout. A TV that's around 50% cheaper.

The GZ2000 is clearly a fantastic tv, but I don't believe the 'improvements' come anywhere near warranting the price tag. They're incremental to say the least.

Must admit I'm slightly ambivalent about my recent OLED purchase. I went from my 42" panny plasma to 55" panny OLED (gz950b).

On 4k it looks great.. it wowed me. On 1080p.. not too bad. Anything else, not great. Whereas everything seemed to look great on the Plasma no matter what; motion was always great.

The intro to Voyager on the OLED for instance, with the ship passing over the rings of Saturn; you can see some weird shimmering effect going on with the upscaling on the ship moving, even with all the processing options turned off.

I also have a suspicion the new tv is making my eyes go a bit funny and giving me a headache, but I've only had it the weekend and it could just be me being a little under the weather.. bit of a coincidence though.

Despite what others have said I'm *so* glad I did not go for the 65". I agonised over that and really thought the 55" might be too small, but seriously I would no way want bigger - I'm even questioning whether it is too big compared to the 42".

So right now, I do have some buyers remorse, except when I watch 4k content. My plasma is sitting on the floor next to the stand at the moment, and for some content, I'm missing it. I'd feel bad sending it back because the first one I had was faulty and already went through a lot swapping it out.

I feel I should at least try and get used to it, and work on tweaking the settings, and see how I go. I can always sell it next year I suppose if I continue to be unhappy with it. I'll make a loss obviously but that's life. I did wonder about switching to the Sony to see if it does interpolation better, but that has it's own issues (greater input lag for a start), and it's a lot more expensive.

Maybe when I get used to it, and it's up on the wall a little further back, it'll be fine.. Fingers crossed.

5to1

Must admit I'm slightly ambivalent about my recent OLED purchase. I went from my 42" panny plasma to 55" panny OLED (gz950b).

On 4k it looks great.. it wowed me. On 1080p.. not too bad. Anything else, not great. Whereas everything seemed to look great on the Plasma no matter what; motion was always great.

The intro to Voyager on the OLED for instance, with the ship passing over the rings of Saturn; you can see some weird shimmering effect going on with the upscaling on the ship moving, even with all the processing options turned off.

I also have a suspicion the new tv is making my eyes go a bit funny and giving me a headache, but I've only had it the weekend and it could just be me being a little under the weather.. bit of a coincidence though.

Despite what others have said I'm *so* glad I did not go for the 65". I agonised over that and really thought the 55" might be too small, but seriously I would no way want bigger - I'm even questioning whether it is too big compared to the 42".

So right now, I do have some buyers remorse, except when I watch 4k content. My plasma is sitting on the floor next to the stand at the moment, and for some content, I'm missing it. I'd feel bad sending it back because the first one I had was faulty and already went through a lot swapping it out.

I feel I should at least try and get used to it, and work on tweaking the settings, and see how I go. I can always sell it next year I suppose if I continue to be unhappy with it. I'll make a loss obviously but that's life. I did wonder about switching to the Sony to see if it does interpolation better, but that has it's own issues (greater input lag for a start), and it's a lot more expensive.

Maybe when I get used to it, and it's up on the wall a little further back, it'll be fine.. Fingers crossed.

In terms of surface area it's about 70% bigger then your 42" Plasma. If you're viewing it from the same distance that's clearly going to show up imperfections in SD content, that the smaller image of your Plasma masked.

WRT size we're watching a 65" from 2.5 - 4.5m and everyone loves it :) The THX recommendations actually suggest we could go a lot bigger. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have set those recommendations if it made peoples eyes go funny.

I hope you get used it it. For us the increased FOV has probably been the biggest improvement in terms of the viewing experience.

jpr141

I think a lot of people are underestimating the Sony OLEDs. My AG8 looks brilliant, just about anything looks brilliant on it. No worrying issues to report. Touch wood. :D

Maybe the Sony's are selling well, they just aren't spoken about much on here. RS buyers certainly seem to love them if reviews are anything to go by.

I think things are improving as I work with the settings in difference viewing environments. I really don't get how people use the settings they say they do in the evening unless they have main lights on. Right now I'm watching MasterChef with luminance at 0, and contrast at 60. If I use luminance at 30 and contrast at 90 like people suggest I think my eyes would explode! Perhaps my room is dimmer than most. My eyes do tend to be a little sensitive to the light it seems. I'm considering getting bias lighting.

How anyone can think OLED or even Plasma isn't bright enough I will honestly never understand!

It isn't just me - While watching Everything Is Illuminated, everyone in the room eeked on the frequent pure white bits between chaptrers (default Professional 2 setting I think it was). That was before I messed much with the settings though..

Often the backgrounds seem too bright compared to the people. I noticed this when watching the F1 the other day.

Never had any of these problems on the Plasma which is why I was feeling a bit off in my initial message; everything always just seemed to look right.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom