OLED or QLED 8K

ClarkKent77

Established Member
Reaction score
Until recently, I was planning to get an 65-inch OLED. Now, I'm leaning towards a Samsung 8K QLED.

It will mainly be used for watching films and TV shows. I'm aware of the generalisations (OLED "better" for blacks and dark rooms, QLED "better" at brightness in light rooms) but there must be other factors.

I've been told (by a Samsung rep, who was very helpful) that OLEDs have the edge when watching films in a dark room, but QLEDS are better when watching "normal" content in both light and dark rooms.

My room is usually dim at night (mood lighting) but I often watch films during the film, so I don't want to pay a lot of money for an OLED only to discover that the picture quality doesn't compare in normal lighting conditions.

Why 8K afaik there is virtually no source material at 8K available - stick to 4K! Also why Samsung QLED other manufacturers use the same technology in the backlights for their TV's? One at least also uses the term QLED in describing their TV's.
Personally I would not consider an OLED due to their lack of brightness in a bright room environment and the molly coddling rest after 4 hr and burn in avoidance. The best Non OLED 's are generally rated as Sony XH9505 or Samsung Q90/95T These are 2020 models but as yet there have been no serious reviews of their 2021 successors which having just bee introduced are at considerably higher prices

Well, the Samsung 8K TVs looked great in the shop. (Yes, I realise that test footage is misleading etc etc).

I was advised (by a couple of people) that Panasonic have fallen behind when it comes to premium TVs, and that Sony are over-priced. Also, I currently have a Sony Bravia, and I probably wouldn't buy another.

Panasonic LCD TVs are lacking but their OLEDs are excellent. All OLED TVs, no matter the brand use LG OLED panels. The difference is in the processing, UI etc.

For an LCD the Sony XH9505 and the Samsung Q90/Q95T are the ones to beat just now. Some great prices on them but stocks are running low as the new models have been launched at near double the price.

Until recently, I was planning to get an 65-inch OLED. Now, I'm leaning towards a Samsung 8K QLED.

It will mainly be used for watching films and TV shows. I'm aware of the generalisations (OLED "better" for blacks and dark rooms, QLED "better" at brightness in light rooms) but there must be other factors.

I've been told (by a Samsung rep, who was very helpful) that OLEDs have the edge when watching films in a dark room, but QLEDS are better when watching "normal" content in both light and dark rooms.

My room is usually dim at night (mood lighting) but I often watch films during the film, so I don't want to pay a lot of money for an OLED only to discover that the picture quality doesn't compare in normal lighting conditions.
What did u eventually go for? I m in the same situation.

Still up in the air.

I currently have a Sony 4K Bravia, and the image is really good, so I don't want to pay a lot of money for something that is slightly better. I want a clear improvement.

But I do not to upgrade at some point. Need a TV that will allow my Sonos system to give me Dolby Atmos (current TV doesn't have eArc). Still torn between 8K QLED (love the idea of being ahead of the curve, and the One Connect box for all cables) and an OLED.

Again, 8K is mainly pointless and will just make low-quality material like DVD, SD TV channels etc look even worse than a 4K TV. It also won't really make 4K look any better as unless you have a large TV of 65" or larger and sit within about 8 ft or less of it, it you can't tell the difference between 1090p and 4K. The big difference is HDR, not the resolution.

We don't even have a lot of 4K channels here now, we have no streaming better than 4K, discs are 4K.

You're paying a premium for a technology you'll never use and by the time it ever comes around (If it does) you'll have replaced your TV with a newer one.

It's a bad time to buy a TV now as the bargains mentioned above are pretty much gone and only recently released 2021 models are available at their higher prices, Black Friday is when TVs start seeing decent discounts and the best time to buy is next Spring when the 2022 models start coming out and you can get a 2021 model at a large discount.

SB, I hear what you're saying about 8K. I do. I was an early adopter with 4K, so I remember the frustration of having the technology before the content was widely available!

Thing is, I don't watch DVDs or SD TV anymore. I will be within 8ft of the TV, and I'm looking to get a 65-inch TV.

I'm probably going to hold off for something. i did like the quality of the Sony Bravia OLED, but I'll never buy another Bravia again. Hate the interface, and I find they are very unresponsive. My current one is dreadful (often have to stand up and move to get the remote to work). And before anyone says that's just my TV - this is the second Bravia I've had. Exact same model. And the same thing happened. When I went to John Lewis to look at the Bravia OLED, it was also annoyingly unresponsive.

https://www.avforums.com/posts/29693734/react?reaction_id=1

will be within 8ft of the TV, and I'm looking to get a 65-inch TV.

That will be fine for the difference between 1080p and 4K.

It's still not close enough for 8K, you'd need to be about 2ft from a 65" screen. This is why it's pointless.

If you were an early adopter for 4K does that mean you bought a non-HDR capable 4K TV. That must have been frustrating. 8K standards outside of resolution have not been set, so you're very possibly doing the same.
If there even ever will be 8K standards, as again, it's pointless.

Cinemas still use 1080p (2K) or 4K and their screens are a lot bigger than your TV.

Ah, but was it in vivid mode.

:p

Did you feel your retinas burning as you looked on and wondered at the majesty of colours you'd never seen before, as those colours don't exist on anything in nature.

Other than Ooompah-Loompahs, Donald Trump and Chavs/WAGS coming out the local Shake-n-Bake, people aren't meant to be that shade of orange.

Its tough because you just can't really draw solid conclusions without actually owning each TV. Viewing them in a showroom is probably the worse thing you can do, and will only throw you red herrings when it comes to comparing TVs. Judging TVs in showrooms is one of the biggest no-no's when shopping for a TV.

Best not to go down the rabbit hole of marketing terms either. QLED TVs are still LCD TVs, there's only OLED and LCD on the market today, the QLED part is just how some LCD TVs display their colours. Other TVs without QLED tech have different means to do the same thing...eg Nanocell for LG, Triluminous for Sony.

QLED itself was a term first used by Samsung to make it seem like their LCD TVs were rivals to OLEDs. It looks remarkably similar to OLED, so it tricks people into thinking they are similar but when in reality OLED and LCD are two very different things.

But even if you own the 8k tv you still can’t conclude anything about the 8k features you have spent you extra on.

The higher the resolution you go, the more lower resolutions look bad.

If you watch 1080p and below content, the 8K TVs are likely going to look far worse than the 4K ones.

I game at 155 inches and I do not realistically think 8K is at the top of my priority list. A good 4K image is high enough resolution wise.

Things we should pay for in TVs are:
1. Uniformity
2. Contrast
3. Motion
4. Picture processing
5. Colour depth and range
6. HDMI gaming features
7. Form factor
8. Sound if you can't afford a separate system
9. Light output

Resolution past 4k is definitely below all of the above in priority.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom