Oled or LED

vicster

Standard Member
Hi Everyone,

I need a new tv and have been looking around for the last week or so.

Really impressed with the oled picture quality but wanted a 65inch which is out of my budget!

Just wanted opinions would you settle for a 55 oled for £2k or get a 65inch LED for £2k?

My other option is wait for a while to see if the prices drop before xmas but really wanted to orde rnext week!

Bacus

Distinguished Member
Your better off going and viewing both types of TV and see which one suits you best. Also research on here what models your interested in and see the highs and lows of owning one.

vicster

Standard Member
Yes I went around shops yesterday to view and still can't decide! :facepalm:

martimu

Think you are going to get loads of different opinions!
Personally, its OLED for me as I couldn't go back from those deep blacks. Mines only a 1080p one too, but I do get the whole larger screen thing too.
Prices seem to have just dropped again on the 2017 OLEDS so you may get lucky over the next couple of months

tonnytech

oled i cant stand lcd tech , but thats not to say thats right for you. Most my viewing is done on the evening so i like deep blacks and i also like good viewing angles for friends which is something i find lcd cannot offer.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
I think you need to stipulate your usage and what you want it for. Also things like how far away you sit etc...

Personal opinion is that there are a few drawbacks to OLED but more drawbacks to LED/LCD. However, the LED/LCD drawbacks can to an extent be mitigated more in the higher end sets, but they are still present to an extent.

An OLED is basically an OLED whichever you buy and the drawbacks are at this point not really easy to mitigate against (as far as we know).

Bacus

Distinguished Member
I know there are a lot of LED haters and OLED fanboys on here BUT don't knock LED !!

I actually have and LG 65"E6 OLED and a Panasonic 58" DX902 LED and the black level is just as good on both TV sets. I personally prefer watching the Panasonic DX over the OLED although both are fantastic TV's.

But in all fairness my Panasonic DX902 is a FALD TV like the Sony ZD9, but theres not to my knoll age any other FALD TV sets out at the moment and nothing i can see on the horizon. I have had a Samsung KS9000 (2 in fact) and sent them both back because of light bleed.

OLED on the other hand, well most OLED TV's for sale today are all using LG's OLED screen with each manufactures processing added, which one is better.....well you can only go by your own eyes.

There is no such thing as an LED TV :) it is an LCD TV but its pixels are lit by LEDs....

I say the same as I said for Plasma in the past...If you mainly view in brightly lit settings, then there is nothing wrong with a high end LCD tv, and sometimes an argument could be had that they can be better in such a situation compared to an OLED.

However you are then no longer talking about a cost saving and it could even be more expensive...

If you mainly watch in a more cosy (in my opinion) setting, then OLED like Plasma used to be has simply got no competition in my opinion....I'd rather save up and wait if possible than spend my money on an LCD...

Kotatsu Neko

If you watch movies in a darkened room, then OLED is really the only option. If not, then you may get away with an LCD.

Personally I've always found LCDs to have a somewhat unrealistic look to them, but your millage may vary.

Downinja

I agree with most of what has been said. OLED is, in my experience, far better than LCD (LED) when the lights get low.

I suspect that's why it's hard to make a decision looking around the shop, how dark was it?

Klikker

This is an oled forum and I guess the majority of us have made our choice and it is oled. We have opted to pay the premium price that Oled commands, however you are paying the top end if purchased in the first six months. I have a 55" 2016 model costing £1490 a few months ago, when launched it was double that.

I think generally the experts in the field rate Oled as the best available right now, but are careful not to knock LCD as the top end can be good, and they cannot afford to offend big companies. An indication of how good Oled is is the fact that a number of big manufacturers have swallowed their pride and bought panels off LG to make their own sets.

A 65" is a lot of money I know but as most come with a 5 year warranty do the math of how much per week that set will cost you over that period and it can surprise you how it can compare to buying a coffee or a newspaper every day, sort of £12 pw in some cases and as the LG 2017 oleds have the same panel you can go for the cheapest with confidence.

Lrehcsa

I wanted to not like OLED and went to my local PC World to view lots of sets, even in the very brightly lit showrooms with artificial light the OLED displays still just jump out at you with the quality of the blacks and vividness of the colours. I bought OLED, I don't care if it only last 2 years before I get burn in, I'll just buy another one

Rizvan

I wanted to not like OLED and went to my local PC World to view lots of sets, even in the very brightly lit showrooms with artificial light the OLED displays still just jump out at you with the quality of the blacks and vividness of the colours. I bought OLED, I don't care if it only last 2 years before I get burn in, I'll just buy another one
Great move.... enjoy it... I too picked OLED over QLED... I went with the LG C8 65" :)

The latest video from AVForums

The Best Movies and TV Shows Coming to Netflix in November 2020: Tom's Thumbs.
Top Bottom