OLED news

Looks like a Toshiba plan a 30" version by 2009.
Yep, I did create topic so I'm just gonna be lazy....

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/13/30-inch-oled-tv-from-toshiba-in-2009/ said:
Toshiba has announced plans to ship an organic electroluminescence (EL) display in 2009. The target size will be 30 inches, which beats most manufacturers' prototypes currently under development, like Sony's 27-inch OLED plans. Toshiba had previously planned 2015 as the launch window for OEL (more commonly known as OLED) sets, a launch timeframe which put them in that magical future land along with SED and FED displays. While Toshiba doesn't expect to compete directly against the behemoth of LCD at first, they believe the technology's superiority -- which includes lower manufacturing costs, and better viewing angles and contrast -- will be recognized as volume goes up. Your electroluminescent game of fl0w may never look better.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english/NEWS_EN/20070413/130804/ said:
Toshiba Corp. has revealed that it will release an organic EL (electroluminescence) TV product in 2009. Toshiba PR department commented on the screen size, "We have 30-inch class in consideration." Toshiba's President and CEO Atsutoshi Nishida announced this at a management policy meeting held on April 12. At this meeting, Nishida said, "We are certain now that we will be able to launch our first product in 2009," regarding the commercialization of the organic EL TV, which the company had projected in "2015 to 2016" before. As for the screen size, he said, "We plan larger size than those Toshiba Matsushita Display Technology Co., Ltd. (TMD) have developed." Toshiba places a 30-inch class model in view, which is larger than the 21-inch prototype organic EL display that TMD announced on April 9 (related story from Tech-On!). "To prepare both the high-end and commodity models, we are currently developing panels made from polymer (organic EL) materials as well as low molecular weight materials," said Nishida.

Toshiba expects TMD to manufacture the panels that will be applied for its organic EL TV, according to the company's PR department. Toshiba, however, is yet to specify neither when the construction and operation of its organic EL panel plant will start nor the value of total investment at present. Commenting on the organic EL's competitiveness in the TV market, Nishida stated, "We don't expect that the organic EL can compete from the beginning on the equal footing with the LCD TV, which is released from many manufacturers across the world, but we believe its superiority will be recognized as production volume rises."

2009?! Thats GREAT :smashin:

Bear in mind that means something like 2012 before they have a variety of sizes and start to become affordable..... Always very frustrating when people ask me "why should I buy a plasma, OLED will be available in two years". Well a single 30" screen will be available in two years, if on target, and lord knows at what price!!! I'm as excited as anybody about this technology, but it's got a long way to go yet

If the hype is to be believed LED backlighting on LCDs may offer even better pictures than OLED, and sooner. Not that I have ever seen one, but LED backlighting promises to solve all the annoying LCD issues, offering a realistic colour gamut, real blacks, good contrast, and good motion tracking (from strobing the backlight). Too good to be true perhaps? AIUI lifespan is still an issue with LEDs which may be why I have never seen one. Philips is due to release a 47" LED-LCD in Q2 of this year.

I'm as excited as anybody about this technology, but it's got a long way to go yet

Exactly. That's the problem there is some very exciting technology on the horizon but it will be a long time before it becomes mass market at an affordable price.

Anyone think that the chances of these becoming really popular are pretty low? I mean here is some of my rationality.

By the time they come out, LCD's and Plasmas will plague the entire country (since they are becoming very common now). LCD's have a long life cycle so people with LCD's probably won't trade up with very little payoff. I mean...LCD's are thin enough to hang as it is, do people REALLY care if the other one is just inches thinner? I mean, going from CRT to LCD was a HUGE difference, LCD to OLED, not so HUGE. Yes, you get a better picture quality and sharper image, but if the LCD's are excellent quality as it is, do people want to spend money for better? Especially if their LCD's are in good working order?!?

I can only speak for myself, but I'd rush to the shops now if SED was available, because I don't think Lcds are excellent quality as it is. In fact, I still find them really poor. (Disappointed Sony KDL40X2000 owner speaking.)

I understand what you mean by the quality isn't as good as it can be, but for most people going from SD CRT tv's to HD LCD's or Plasmas, the picture is excellent. But you also get much more, you get MUCH thinner form factor, you get a 16:9 ratio, you get HD programming, etc. Going to OLED TV's the difference will be MOSTLY in picture quality. Even though the picture quality will be a big improvement, it will not be as big as going from SD to HD. I just can't see people spending say 3-5x as much for a TV when it isn't leaps and bounds different.

The reason I have not bought an HD TV of any flavour is that I'm waiting for LCD or Plasma to improve the PQ of SD. I know I won't be receiving broadcast HD for years (I refuse to go Sky and would rather not subscribe anyway to anyone). I may invest in Blu Ray or HD DVD, but not until the main reason for our having a television - to view television broadcasts - is well served by the new technology and I buy HD.

I have been keeping my eye on these SED/OLED etc. threads in the vain hope that the new technologies they represent will bridge the gap between my excellent 15-year old CRT and the current crop of flat-panel TVs. I love the new HD displays when they are provided by an HD source but am not convinced by SD, even with a decent digital Freeview (or DVD) input. It looks like these new techs won't materialise in the near future.

Nevertheless I think that is changing - I am hoping that this year's crop of new LCD panels will finally solve the problems that have plagued LCD and prevented it not only superseding plasma but also CRT (contrast, motion blur, etc.). And with that in mind this may be the year that I finally choose to buy; and if I do, I'll be hoping to keep it for years.

It's not the display technology that has a bearing on whether it is any good with SD or HD. It is the video processing chip built into the screen. This is why aftermarket video processing is so popular (there's a whole forum dedicated to it).

However some people are falsely under the impression that SD is no good on these screens just because so many reviews say that HD is much better. This doesn't actually mean that the screen is a worse processor of SD material than it is of HD, just that the HD material was better in the first place.

a) The reason I have not bought an HD TV of any flavour is that I'm waiting for LCD or Plasma to improve the PQ of SD.

b) I have been keeping my eye on these SED/OLED etc. threads in the vain hope that the new technologies they represent will bridge the gap between my excellent 15-year old CRT and the current crop of flat-panel TVs.

c) Nevertheless I think that is changing - I am hoping that this year's crop of new LCD panels will finally solve the problems that have plagued LCD and prevented it not only superseding plasma but also CRT (contrast, motion blur, etc.).

a) I was of the same opinion until a few months ago - you might find this thread interesting. When I found an LCD with the best SD reproduction of any I'd seen - I bought it.

b) I too was hoping that one of these two technologies would be here by now. I'm afraid it will be at least another couple of years before they are affordable. When they are, the 32" LCD will go up to the bedroom and a new panel will go in the front room.

c) Motion blur is gone - Toshiba M100 (100Hz technology) has seen to that. I watch tons of footy with zero motion problems. Other 100Hz models may also be good. As for contrast, yes that's still an issue but it's not something that bothers me that much, it doesn't have anywhere near as much bearing on overall PQ.

If the hype is to be believed LED backlighting on LCDs may offer even better pictures than OLED, and sooner. Not that I have ever seen one, but LED backlighting promises to solve all the annoying LCD issues, offering a realistic colour gamut, real blacks, good contrast, and good motion tracking (from strobing the backlight). Too good to be true perhaps? AIUI lifespan is still an issue with LEDs which may be why I have never seen one. Philips is due to release a 47" LED-LCD in Q2 of this year.

There's rumours that Apple will be announcing an LED screen at their Developer's Conference next month...

There's rumours that Apple will be announcing an LED screen at their Developer's Conference next month...

That is LED backlighting of an LCD screen - not OLED screen (where the pixels are LEDs)

Sony should be first to bring the OLED to market in 2007, with a whopping 1 million to 1 contrast ratio :eek: :eek: 11" screen will be the first to appear and I bet it will cost the price of a small car :laugh: :(

http://www.nordichardware.com/news,6090.html

Sony have apparently been demoing this as an HD viewfinder for broadcast cameras - as LCD viewfinders have real issues. Some broadcasters are reverting to CRT B&W viewfinders for HD cameras after using LCDs because the lag of LCD viewfinders causes camera operators problems on fast ball sports like tennis and golf.

The problem with the OLED prototypes is apparently that they go "mouldy" and have a limited life?

The reason I have not bought an HD TV of any flavour is that I'm waiting for LCD or Plasma to improve the PQ of SD.

Mind you - it wouldn't hurt if SD pictures were broadcast at decent bit-rates. How often do people blame the TV when it's the signal that is rubbish.

Cheers, Dave C.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom