OLED motion renders some content unwatchable

Petey20

Just when you think you get your head around OLED and all the burn-in concerns and then someone comes up with this! I don't think I had even read anything about OLED and motion concerns before this.
Or is this more of an issue for those that are susceptible to this type of thing?
This and the banding issues all OLEDs apparently have. Makes me wonder how so many rave about how great they are if they all have these issues?
Still considering buying one myself but it is very off putting reading things like this.

stranger

Just the other side of the picture!

I've had the 65 E6 since it came out and had it ISF calibrated. (now used upstairs by my grandson for his X box X)

I now have a 77CX, I just use 'Filmaker' mode and I haven't seen any of the issues mentioned here on either set.

50W

This and the banding issues all OLEDs apparently have. Makes me wonder how so many rave about how great they are if they all have these issues?
Still considering buying one myself but it is very off putting reading things like this.
I have found myself swaying backwards and forwards between the LG G1 (due to the fact LG provide a screen cover up to 5yrs) and the Sony A80j. One of Vincent's video's did cover motion and it came across as being slightly in favour of the Sony. I know the Sony could be an option from John Lewis, whereby you can add the extra cover for possible burn-in, if indeed D&G stick to their word! At present that would still be cheaper than the LG G1.

I am quite happy to continue to read up and become more familiar with these models in the interim and wait until Black Friday if necessary.

Last edited:

fluxedman

When I got my 48 inch CX oled it was unbearable with sports with motion handling, I watch MMA sports so people get knocked out within an split second, so I found it unwatchable on the OLED, this was with filmmaker and any other processing features switched off, including motion ones.

It took a good 2-3 weeks before it went from robotic looking guys trying to punch each other in the face to fluid and smooth normal viewing. I still haven't the foggiest if it was my brain and eyes that got adjusted to it or the OLED just got use to running in.

If you read Tv calibrators, they always state you need some run in time, usually 1 week or 2 or 200hrs even, but that seems to also be the exact time the OLED appears more normalized.

There is a difference in motion between LED and OLED, id say the LED is more natural of the two, but the OLED wasn't far off exactly and the OLED naturally offered the superior picture quality, I can't wait to go back to OLED.

Petey20

I have found myself swaying backwards and forwards between the LG G1 (due to the fact LG provide a screen cover up to 5yrs) and the Sony A80j. One of Vincent's video's did cover motion and it came across as being slightly in favour of the Sony. I know the Sony could be an option from John Lewis, whereby you can add the extra cover for possible burn-in, if indeed D&G stick to their word! At present that would still be cheaper than the LG G1.

I am quite happy to continue to read up and become more familiar with these models in the interim and wait until Black Friday if necessary.

Has it been confirmed yet whether LG actually cover burn in on the G1 for 5 years? I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure the last I heard was that burn in was only protected during year 1? And that labour charges would still apply.

I think most usually suggest LG for Gamers and Sony for movie viewers so whatever suits your needs more I suppose.
I'm not sure whether D&G are still offering warranty on TVs anymore. I know they're not via their own website and even though the option is still there at John Lewis, I've heard of a few people not actually being able to add it to their order.

I'll be waiting until Black Friday as well. Who would have known buying a TV could be such a headache lol.

Petey20

When I got my 48 inch CX oled it was unbearable with sports with motion handling, I watch MMA sports so people get knocked out within an split second, so I found it unwatchable on the OLED, this was with filmmaker and any other processing features switched off, including motion ones.

It took a good 2-3 weeks before it went from robotic looking guys trying to punch each other in the face to fluid and smooth normal viewing. I still haven't the foggiest if it was my brain and eyes that got adjusted to it or the OLED just got use to running in.

If you read Tv calibrators, they always state you need some run in time, usually 1 week or 2 or 200hrs even, but that seems to also be the exact time the OLED appears more normalized.

There is a difference in motion between LED and OLED, id say the LED is more natural of the two, but the OLED wasn't far off exactly and the OLED naturally offered the superior picture quality, I can't wait to go back to OLED.
Thats worrying as I watch a lot of boxing. Suppose like anything your eyes will adjust eventually though.
Have you tried watching MMA on anything other than OLED since to see how it compares now?

50W

Has it been confirmed yet whether LG actually cover burn in on the G1 for 5 years? I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure the last I heard was that burn in was only protected during year 1? And that labour charges would still apply.

I think most usually suggest LG for Gamers and Sony for movie viewers so whatever suits your needs more I suppose.
I'm not sure whether D&G are still offering warranty on TVs anymore. I know they're not via their own website and even though the option is still there at John Lewis, I've heard of a few people not actually being able to add it to their order.

I'll be waiting until Black Friday as well. Who would have known buying a TV could be such a headache lol.
The G1 was the 2nd to 5th year for the screen warranty and as you say, it doesn't include the labour cost.
I hadn't seen the issues with adding the additional warranty via John Lewis, so maybe that's no longer an option! I guess they had too many claiming screen burn 😂

Petey20

The G1 was the 2nd to 5th year for the screen warranty and as you say, it doesn't include the labour cost.
I hadn't seen the issues with adding the additional warranty via John Lewis, so maybe that's no longer an option! I guess they had too many claiming screen burn 😂
Oh thats not so bad then if thats the case. Especially now screen burn cover doesn't seem to be available elsewhere.

Doesn't exactly fill me with confidence if that is the reason they've stopped covering TVs though 😂.

50W

Just out of interest I tried John Lewis and I was able to add the Sony 55a80j and then add Protect + without any issue. I went as far as I could without physically buying it, so it does still seem to be available - to me at least 🙂

Petey20

Just out of interest I tried John Lewis and I was able to add the Sony 55a80j and then add Protect + without any issue. I went as far as I could without physically buying it, so it does still seem to be available - to me at least 🙂
That's good news! I saw it mentioned on a Hotukdeals thread when the 48" C1 was down to £900 (Bargain!). Maybe it was just the volume of traffic on their site at the time causing issues.

fluxedman

Thats worrying as I watch a lot of boxing. Suppose like anything your eyes will adjust eventually though.
Have you tried watching MMA on anything other than OLED since to see how it compares now?

Yeah its fine with motion off my existing Samsung 2020 43" TV ,but LED has always been smooth sailing for motion handling, even out the box the LED did not need any burn in or usage time, it was natural from day 1.

But Its not that OLED was bad at motion, it just needed that extra 2-3 weeks to burn in and get better, after that I never gave it a single thought since the PQ was stunning, if the motion was bad I would have sent it right back.

I think its also possible the bigger OLED panels like 65"+ are worse with motion handling, smaller screens usually deal well with SD content, poorer quality broadcast and motion from what I have heard.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom