OLED motion - I think it has a way to go

Hello, I generally watch Freeview and iPlayer only, will I notice these OLED motions problems more or less?

Thanks

Had an LG65E7 OLED a few years ago and found it terrible with motion, even after playing with all the various motion settings. It replaced a THX calibrated Pioneer Kuro LX5090 wich obviously was great! The LG was returned. We’ve had a Panasonic 65FZ802 for two years now and find the motion so much better with minimum tweaking. Have a Sony HW55ES projector as well and love the motion on that, but so glad we changed to the Panny OLED as well. My sister has the Kuro now and couldn’t be happier!

I didnt know OLED was so bad about the motion and the 576-1080i signals of the freeview tv channels (my absolute preference of use)..thank you i was going to give one a try, you saved my money thanks again

I didnt know OLED was so bad about the motion and the 576-1080i signals of the freeview tv channels (my absolute preference of use)..thank you i was going to give one a try, you saved my money thanks again

Surely for normal broadcast stuff using Trumotion will smooth this out?

After watching a few animes 720p with lots of 'difficult motion' on a Sony Projector, sadly I can say that for some old school content, the motion on an OLED is despicable.

The projector is just smooth as butter and this is with no motion interpolation.

OLED's problem is the instant pixel response time. With some interpolation its not bad. Far from bad... but its just not the smooth waves which I associated with plasma and projectors.

Oh well.

Controversy about it exists and oled tvs are big money today so sorry but i stay waiting

Did you paste your novel about burn in being a myth?
The professional reviewers and Unopinionated say burn in is rare, there are people on social media that agree with Michael7877, and there are many people that are somewhere between these two extremes. Everybody has to decide for themselves who to believe.

There are many people who have studied TVs as much as you that come to different conclusions than Michael7877 regarding burn in.

You have told us in previous posts that you are very knowledgeable, you've done a lot of studying, burn in happens linearly, the burn in rate is due to many factors, burn in will happen to all OLEDs it is just how soon, that rtings.com burn in tests on C7 TVs proves your point, and this is how you have to babysit your TV if you want to slow down the inevitable. You have also said your opinions are beyond questioning. We get your perspective.

It is evident you are going to have to fill your need for affirmation from somebody other than Unopinionated.

Last edited:
The professional reviewers and Unopinionated say burn in is rare, there are people on social media that agree with Michael7877, and there are many people that are somewhere between these two extremes. Everybody has to decide for themselves who to believe.

There are many people who have studied TVs as much as you that come to different conclusions than Michael7877 regarding burn in.

You have told us in previous posts that you are very knowledgeable, you've done a lot of studying, burn in happens linearly, the burn in rate is due to many factors, burn in will happen to all OLEDs it is just how soon, that rtings.com burn in tests on C7 TVs proves your point, and this is how you have to babysit your TV if you want to slow down the inevitable.

It is evident you are going to have to fill your need for affirmation from somebody other than Unopinionated.

The TVs with burn in and the use which caused it is all the "affirmation" I need, and all anyone should need. It's always very similar.

I'm not on an "extreme" - the risk of burn in is understated. It's exactly how I say it is.

If you use the TV on medium high brightness (~80%) and stay on a channel with a bright static element, after no longer than 1000 hours you will have burn in. If you don't have burn in, you don't have 500-1000 hours. Some people get there in a year, some 5. Some never.

If you don't want burn in and want your tv to last 20-30k hours (which is the expected lifespan before noticable general dimming of TVs run from 40-75% brightness SDR, 100% HDR), you have to use only video streaming services with no overlaid logos. And dim the Netflix menu when you're browsing to not get "NETFLIX" scorched into the bottom right of your display.
It'll happen in 11 years with 5 minutes menu time/day.
Add 2-3 hours a month from accidentally leaving it while you make dinner or take a crap and forget, turns into 6 years.
Now leave it on overnight when you fall asleep a few times, that's 3 years. The logo is even in the previews netflix uses as screen savers... They must hate oled owners lol. We know which service we're using! and don't need the reminder over the bottom right!

Anyway, point is, they are delicate machines.

Also, you should consider that a reviewer making their living calibrating a lot of OLEDs has a conflict of interest. If he said you'll probably have burn in after 4 years orĺ less, people would be less likely to get a calibration done. I'm hesitant to get my tv done because I know in a couple years with my use, I'd have to spend $400CAD again.

Last edited:
The TVs with burn in and the use which caused it is all the "affirmation" I need, and all anyone should need. It's always very similar.

I'm not on an "extreme" - the risk of burn in is understated. It's exactly how I say it is.

If you use the TV on medium high brightness (~80%) and stay on a channel with a bright static element, after no longer than 1000 hours you will have burn in. If you don't have burn in, you don't have 500-1000 hours. Some people get there in a year, some 5. Some never.

If you don't want burn in and want your tv to last 20-30k hours (which is the expected lifespan before noticable general dimming of TVs run from 40-75% brightness SDR, 100% HDR), you have to use only video streaming services with no overlaid logos. And dim the Netflix menu when you're browsing to not get "NETFLIX" scorched into the bottom right of your display.
It'll happen in 11 years with 5 minutes menu time/day.
Add 2-3 hours a month from accidentally leaving it while you make dinner or take a crap and forget, turns into 6 years.
Now leave it on overnight when you fall asleep a few times, that's 3 years. The logo is even in the previews netflix uses as screen savers... They must hate oled owners lol. We know which service we're using! and don't need the reminder over the bottom right!

Anyway, point is, they are delicate machines.

Also, you should consider that a reviewer making their living calibrating a lot of OLEDs has a conflict of interest. If he said you'll probably have burn in after 4 years orĺ less, people would be less likely to get a calibration done. I'm hesitant to get my tv done because I know in a couple years with my use, I'd have to spend $400CAD again.

I dunno, I used my old CX as a PC monitor for 4 months and had no hint or IR/Burn-in. I did this as I knew I was returning it for a new one so wanted to see if I abuse it, how much it burns in.

Literally as a PC monitor, google chrome taskbar, stat menu.

Nothing.
No burn in.

I don't think they are as delicate as you're making them out to be.

Well 3 years with my E7 and trumotion always off and with my eyes which are good and I don’t need glasses I’ve honestly never seen any motion issues and that’s the truth.
Unfortunately all our eyes are different.Some people are sensitive to motion issues but luckily I’m not and everything looks fantastic.After 3 years using Oled Id say I’ve tested mine for a long time.

Well 3 years with my E7 and trumotion always off and with my eyes which are good and I don’t need glasses I’ve honestly never seen any motion issues and that’s the truth.
Unfortunately all our eyes are different.Some people are sensitive to motion issues but luckily I’m not and everything looks fantastic.After 3 years using Oled Id say I’ve tested mine for a long time.

Maybe I'm used to low framerate pc gaming, also going back to pull down etc on CRT TVs with region 2/1 dvd etc

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom