OLED LG TV has a dark screen?

cardiffsteve

Novice Member
Is it just me, or does OLED naturally have more of a dark screen?
Ive just purchased an OLED55B8PLA and its quite dark in comparison to the LED TV I previously used.
I have been through the picture modes - cinema, vivid, standard, game, eco etc.. but settled with standard.

any tips on how to improve brightness?

thanks

Cameron583

You'd want to increase the OLED light, but note that it can contribute to quicker wearing of the OLEDs :)

On the whole, though, yes, they are a little darker, but then they handle reflections a lot better than an LCD, typically, so you don't need to have it as bright to see content

GAmbrose

Yes, they have lower overall brightness (it doesn't burn your retinas out) but then blacks are pure black so the difference in brightness from black to white is broadly similar.

staffy 2

Yes I was the same I found Oled has a darker image.After a few days you’ll adjust to it and you will then realise it’s a much more natural image with true to life colours.My friends lcd tvs burn my retinas they are so bright and unnatural and football has vivid green grass.I know you can adjust them but with Oled you get a natural image out the box.I settled on brightroom with a few tweaks with my Oled light on 49 and it’s brilliant I haven’t touched any settings for 12 months.

cardiffsteve

Novice Member
Brilliant, thank you. Ive put it to the same setting and it looks much better. I think my eyes were getting used to the true black as well. Very pleased with the tv also found I no longer need the sky soundbox as the sound quality is very good.

Wez68

Distinguished Member
Brilliant, thank you. Ive put it to the same setting and it looks much better. I think my eyes were getting used to the true black as well. Very pleased with the tv also found I no longer need the sky soundbox as the sound quality is very good.
Have you turned off Energy Saver ?

cardiffsteve

Novice Member
Yes. In order to adjust the OLED light setting to 49 you need to turn off energy saving , however I reverted back to Standard with energy saving on as default by the end of the evening. Why ?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom