OLED LG E6 65" Curry's refuse warranty repair:

The settings are as per this picture

Attachments

• A3DFE8C5-CAD6-49C5-861B-1F4145911412.png
    A3DFE8C5-CAD6-49C5-861B-1F4145911412.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 197
The settings are as per this picture
Those are reasonably extreme settings that would have been pushing the panel every second it was on. So they certainly wouldn't have helped. I'm guessing the TV is viewed in a bright room, with a lot of ambient light?

By way of comparison, I calibrated my B6 and I think OLED Light was set to around 40 for SDR and Contrast would have been default, which was 90 I believe?! That was using the ISF picture presets.

Paul

Those are reasonably extreme settings that would have been pushing the panel every second it was on. So they certainly wouldn't have helped. I'm guessing the TV is viewed in a bright room, with a lot of ambient light?

By way of comparison, I calibrated my B6 and I think OLED Light was set to around 40 for SDR and Contrast would have been default, which was 90 I believe?! That was using the ISF picture presets.

Paul
Oops maybe I had everything set too high then. I just played around with it until I found a nice bright picture. Every time I used one of the calibration things on YouTube or other people’s recommendations I found it looked a bit dull. If I get it back repaired then I will definitely look at lowering the oled light. I checked the Currys repair tracker and it says repair complete already, so whether they have rejected it or repaired it I don’t know yet.

Almost every Saturday?

Shouldn't be an issue though really. If a TV can't handle BBC news a few hours a week it's not fit for purpose.

I hate I have to baby my oled.

Oops maybe I had everything set too high then. I just played around with it until I found a nice bright picture. Every time I used one of the calibration things on YouTube or other people’s recommendations I found it looked a bit dull. If I get it back repaired then I will definitely look at lowering the oled light. I checked the Currys repair tracker and it says repair complete already, so whether they have rejected it or repaired it I don’t know yet.
Yeh definitely a bit too bright and based on what I've read, it likely would have contributed to the screen burn. I've had the E7 and am now onto the CX, and I got myself properly 'paranoid' about trying to truly achieve the best picture (without paying out for a calibration). After all, this is a top of the range TV for a reason.

Without turning this thread into one about picture settings (there are plenty out there); based on the few settings in your picture, you should consider doing the following >> Use ISF Bright mode (not Standard) / OLED Light 60ish in daytime, 30ish at night / Contrast 85-90 / Sharpness 0-10. This is for standard SDR viewing. Generally, Dolby Vision & HDR settings can be left alone.

Back to these Panel issues though... I've had my faulty E7; was EVENTUALLY replaced with a voucher by Currys, so I got a CX which had a faulty panel straight out of the box; so then 3rd time lucky with my current CX... It's the best one yet, but I can't say that it was perfect. There are slight patches, but I've stopped doing Greyscale tests now!!! Because, to be fair, my viewing experience is flawless! And I can't go through a return process again!

Hi Gents.

So I have an OLED55C7V I bought from Currys in November 2017. Just after the year warranty expired, I had the calibration issue with the darker squares on the panel. LG UK wouldn't accept the issue so had to fight with them showing evidence that LG US had accepted the issue and finally got a panel replacement in November 2018. In October 2020 I started suffering green haze and sever burn-in, and again LG UK didn't want to know, and were insisting I pay £200+ for an out-of-warranty panel replacement. They didn't know when they could do the repair tho and asked I call back end of April. I contacted Currys and got a replacement panel as part of the 5 year guarantee. Took a week to turn around and just received it back and all looks good. I know people have had issues with Currys accepting this as an issue, but I did explain to their agent on the phone that I'd been speaking to LG, done their pixel refresh tests (which ironically made both issues worse), factory reset, and that LG had acknowledged a panel fault. Perhaps that helped?Currys made no fuss, picked up, repaired, returned.

Still have 18 months guarantee on this, but will be looking at a 2021 model come Black Friday.

Hey again, just to confirm that Currys replaced my panel with a shiny brand new one, (the rest of the tv is original as the serial no. Is the same) and it’s perfect now. Now I gotta get back onto LG to get the power supply thing changed under warranty as mine still has the original.

Hey again, just to confirm that Currys replaced my panel with a shiny brand new one, (the rest of the tv is original as the serial no. Is the same) and it’s perfect now. Now I gotta get back onto LG to get the power supply thing changed under warranty as mine still has the original.
Great news Currys replaced your panel. I'm in the process of trying to get John Lewis & LG to sort it out. I have a feeling it's going to be a long waiting game, being passed from pillar to post because the repair agent claims its screen burn. I informed JL it's an inherent screen fault. Regarding your power supply. because it's a recall it will get replaced in or out of warranty. my 2017 LG 65B7 was replaced last week.

Attachments

• IMG_0899.jpg
    IMG_0899.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
Great news Currys replaced your panel. I'm in the process of trying to get John Lewis & LG to sort it out. I have a feeling it's going to be a long waiting game, being passed from pillar to post because the repair agent claims its screen burn. I informed JL it's an inherent screen fault. Regarding your power supply. because it's a recall it will get replaced in or out of warranty. my 2017 LG 65B7 was replaced last.

Hopefully you get yours sorted without issue.

LG had a subcontractor come to my house today, and had the power supply changed in about 10 minutes. Never had to pay anything for that either.

Hopefully you get yours sorted without issue.

LG had a subcontractor come to my house today, and had the power supply changed in about 10 minutes. Never had to pay anything for that either.
mine also replaced in about 10min

Hi Gents.

So I have an OLED55C7V I bought from Currys in November 2017. Just after the year warranty expired, I had the calibration issue with the darker squares on the panel. LG UK wouldn't accept the issue so had to fight with them showing evidence that LG US had accepted the issue and finally got a panel replacement in November 2018. In October 2020 I started suffering green haze and sever burn-in, and again LG UK didn't want to know, and were insisting I pay £200+ for an out-of-warranty panel replacement. They didn't know when they could do the repair tho and asked I call back end of April. I contacted Currys and got a replacement panel as part of the 5 year guarantee. Took a week to turn around and just received it back and all looks good. I know people have had issues with Currys accepting this as an issue, but I did explain to their agent on the phone that I'd been speaking to LG, done their pixel refresh tests (which ironically made both issues worse), factory reset, and that LG had acknowledged a panel fault. Perhaps that helped?Currys made no fuss, picked up, repaired, returned.

Still have 18 months guarantee on this, but will be looking at a 2021 model come Black Friday.
Did they contact you while they had it for repair? I have same situation as you they picked up Wednesday but i've not heard anything since but they told me i'd have back this Wednesday so hoping its all been excepted and i'll just get back all ok, but last i saw my tv 2 blokes were putting in the back of a lorry with washing machines etc. haha

Greetings and salutations to all board members and it's been a while since I last posted. I am in real need of some advice regarding my OLED TV. It was built in March 2017 and sold to us by Curry's in April 2017 and all was well until last week. We noticed a thin felt pen size horizontal line running five inches up from the bottom of the screen. We attempted the usual fixes of a factory reset changing the leads source material picture test but all to no avail so we rang Curry's know-how team. They said it was a fault and took it for repair. They advised us today that it's screen burn and not covered under there 5 year free warranty. The gentleman on the phone said it has screen burn caused by the sun shining through our windows but I was under the impression screen burn is from leaving images static for long periods. They said they will return it tomorrow for us. I rang back an hour later to request a copy of their engineers report as the information tendered had been sketchy to say the least. They advised it would be with the TV and all they had in front of them was screen burn and the words "compensation 14.68". I am at a loss for a £3500 TV to only last us 18 months of normal usage for films and Sky Q. We are both coming up to the big 60 and always respect our belongings and merchandise. We never pause images for long periods and tend to watch a variety of different channels so the screen has a diversity of input. Below is a few shots of the line for your kind appraisal.

tovsuPj.jpg

reYpIvS.jpg

Should I get an independent engineer report and if the report comes back as screen burn what then are my options. Surely the sales of goods act say that an expensive TV should fare better than this ?
I could not have loved and cared more for our set if I tried.
Dear all
Greetings from west country

We are also having same problem with Sony Bravia Oled KD65AF8 bought from Currys on 23.05.2018 still under warranty till 2023.

We are 68 years old couple bought this tv on advice of very nice salesperson from currys paid £3500 as our final purchase in hope it will last us till end.

It will be great help if you can let us know what was the end result please.
Kind regards

You can read response in email below from Sony. Currys are saying same as well.

Subject: RE: Your complaint regarding image retention - Sony Customer Relations Office [case:22131976] [email:357842805]

Dear Mr Manekporia,
This is to confirm that we have reviewed the report from the inspection.

The service partner has in this case concluded that the image retention showing on your unit is not covered by our limited manufacturer’s warranty, which corresponds to the earlier conclusion from our technical support staff and internal investigation. Regrettably, we cannot agree to accept your claim under warranty and are unable to offer any commercial alternatives under these circumstances.

I understand this is not the answer you had hoped for and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. I thank you for your understanding that this represents Sony’s final decision in the matter. You may refer back to the advice in my initial e-mail to you 4 May for further information and our public article on how to take care of your OLED screen.

Best regards,

Esben
Customer Relations Officer

Dear all

We are also having same problem with Sony Bravia Oled KD65AF8 bought from Currys on 23.05.2018 still under warranty till 2023.

We are 68 years old couple bought this tv on advice of very nice salesperson from currys paid £3500 as our final purchase in hope it will last us till end.

Kind regards

Subject: RE: Your complaint regarding image retention - Sony Customer Relations Office [case:22131976] [email:357842805]

Dear Mr Manekporia,
This is to confirm that we have reviewed the report from the inspection.

The service partner has in this case concluded that the image retention showing on your unit is not covered by our limited manufacturer’s warranty, which corresponds to the earlier conclusion from our technical support staff and internal investigation. Regrettably, we cannot agree to accept your claim under warranty and are unable to offer any commercial alternatives under these circumstances.

I understand this is not the answer you had hoped for and apologise for any inconvenience this may cause. I thank you for your understanding that this represents Sony’s final decision in the matter. You may refer back to the advice in my initial e-mail to you 4 May for further information and our public article on how to take care of your OLED screen.

Best regards,

Esben
Customer Relations Officer

Push forwards via consumer rights act, threaten small claims court and also reach out to Sony to see what they say.

When you made your decision to buy from Curry's, sadly no one was offering burn-in warranty.

Hopefully now people wise-up and just buy from JL.

Other option is to claim the TV on home insurance maybe? Not ideal.

I think LG are a lot softer on replacing panels for burn-in re: warranty claims. With Sony, I think you're not going to get much joy as they are a far less personable company IMO.

Dear all

Did you turn the TV off by the mains every night or leave the TV on standby when not in use?

Hi Unsane
Turned off with Sony remote control some time or with Virgin media control some time. Why are you asking this? Dose it make any difference?
regards

Hi Unsane
Turned off with Sony remote control some time or with Virgin media control some time. Why are you asking this? Dose it make any difference?
regards
If turned off at the mains without any power going to tv, it won’t be able to do a pixel refresher

Dear all

OK, your claim is against the retailer, you have no contract of sale with Sony so you can forget about them. Currys are trying to hide behind the warranty bull but anybody who was listening in school knows that any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights - seriously, basic consumer law. A £3500 TV should not break itself providing it's sole function inside 5 years let alone the 3 years you have owned it. This shows that it it not "reasonably durable" nor "fit for purpose". If you damaged it, that's a different story but I expect there is no evidence of physical damage on the unit - and Sony would have been only too quick to point this out if it were there (yay, free engineers report!)

Currys are wilfully in breach of your consumer rights. This is a game they play hoping most customers will give up and not follow through - and they'd be right as most shy away as it takes a bit of effort. You need to escalate this with Currys focussing on what I've put in inverted commas above. Don't be shy about informing them of your intentions to bring this to the small claims court and be ready to do exactly this.

A little bit of reading

It was interesting to note that your TV was always on standby, NavSoo. And a further surprise that Currys didn't deem the panel defective on the basis that the panel constantly refreshed. Nonetheless, Currys have nailed their colours to the mast and highly unlikely to reverse the decision as it stands.

Anyway, the end result for the OP was reported a few pages back which involved the small claims court and his winning the case.

But you don't want to do that before exploring possible alternative routes to getting your money back. Did you pay by credit card? If so, did you settle the transaction directly with Currys, i.e. not through PayPal etc?

Last edited:
OK, your claim is against the retailer, you have no contract of sale with Sony so you can forget about them. Currys are trying to hide behind the warranty bull but anybody who was listening in school knows that any warranty is in addition to your consumer rights - seriously, basic consumer law. A £3500 TV should not break itself providing it's sole function inside 5 years let alone the 3 years you have owned it. This shows that it it not "reasonably durable" nor "fit for purpose". If you damaged it, that's a different story but I expect there is no evidence of physical damage on the unit - and Sony would have been only too quick to point this out if it were there (yay, free engineers report!)

Currys are wilfully in breach of your consumer rights. This is a game they play hoping most customers will give up and not follow through - and they'd be right as most shy away as it takes a bit of effort. You need to escalate this with Currys focussing on what I've put in inverted commas above. Don't be shy about informing them of your intentions to bring this to the small claims court and be ready to do exactly this.

A little bit of reading
Many thanks for your advice. I will do whatever I can and follow you direction to get justice. If there are any successful cases anyone knows or find please let me know
Best regards

Many thanks for your advice. I will do whatever I can and follow you direction to get justice. If there are any successful cases anyone knows or find please let me know
Best regards
Hello Navsoo: I think the case notes start from page 14 and all the information's there. Good luck and and If I can be of any further assistance then feel free to shout out.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom