OLED LG E6 65" Curry's refuse warranty repair:

What is really worrying about this.

Imagine the price of OLEDs come down to £700 and then you take retailer to court with this problem. You win, that's great but the judge will consider the amount of use the TV has had in the final settlement. So say £400.

A lot of busy people will think for £400 it's not worth all their time, effort and worry.

Self-employed person would need the day off work for the court hearing, time to put all the facts together beforehand and the worry on top of that. All this just suddenly sounds like not worth the hassle.

Obviously £3000 is a whole different kettle of fish.

Hi guys. Had the final say from my credit card provider today. They are going to refund me the full amount I paid for the TV and refund me the price of the engineer's report 😀
They phoned up the engineer I had inspect my TV and he told them it was a very common fault with these TV's and that was it, full
Thanks for all your help guys.
Just need to decide what TV to get now 🤔

Is your faith in OLED damaged?

Come to the dark side and find a good 2nd hand DX902 for a good price to tide you over until they start selling micro-LEDs
I'm really unsure whether to get another Oled. I have been looking at the Samsung Q90r. But I do really like the picture quality of an Oled. If the newer Oleds have improved screen burn prevention then I may consider getting the LG C9. But could be a case of once bitten twice shy

I'm really unsure whether to get another Oled. I have been looking at the Samsung Q90r. But I do really like the picture quality of an Oled. If the newer Oleds have improved screen burn prevention then I may consider getting the LG C9. But could be a case of once bitten twice shy
It's a big if, that one. If they have improved you won't see any evidence of this until after x number of hours/months. If they haven't you're in the same boat. For me it's too much money to be spending for that level of risk.

You won't get a 3d panel back. If that's an issue for you complain further! Again, it's under warranty and if you're not happy with what they've done, let them know.

My c6 is currently with them but I've got the extra £6 a month cover, so I don't know if that counts for anything.

Currys is picking up my LG OLED tv on Monday for screen burn and wifi related issues. My tv is 3d, why do you think the replacement won't be 3d? Any ideas what I can do if the replacement isn't a 3d panel?

Currys is picking up my LG OLED tv on Monday for screen burn and wifi related issues. My tv is 3d, why do you think the replacement won't be 3d? Any ideas what I can do if the replacement isn't a 3d panel?
How did you manage to get Curry’s to repair screen burn, they refused me saying it wasn’t covered under the care plan !!!

There is no improved burn in protection because this what happend to 90% of us is not burn in.
LG changed size of pixels to try slowing down pixel/panel degradation/wear over time but.....

Do you even get 3d TV's these days, I thought they were defunct?

You'd be best placed to try and find the currys warranty T/Cs as they will state what your rights are where an exact replacement model can't be sourced.

I purchased a LG C7 55" in December 2017 and recently experienced image retention in the bottom lefthand corner of the screen.

I called Team Knowhow this afternoon and the TV is being picked up on Tuesday, 14 July, for evaluation. According to the gentleman that I spoke to today then the TV will undergo a test run on LG software to determine if the TV is faulty or the burn was down to user error. So, I'm guessing 50/50 chance of them repairing the panel.

I would like to think that they'll repair it and we all move on. If they don't repair it then I have two remaining options: credit card chargeback and, if unsuccessful, small claims court.

I purchased a LG C7 55" in December 2017 and recently experienced image retention in the bottom lefthand corner of the screen.

I called Team Knowhow this afternoon and the TV is being picked up on Tuesday, 14 July, for evaluation. According to the gentleman that I spoke to today then the TV will undergo a test run on LG software to determine if the TV is faulty or the burn was down to user error. So, I'm guessing 50/50 chance of them repairing the panel.

I would like to think that they'll repair it and we all move on. If they don't repair it then I have two remaining options: credit card chargeback and, if unsuccessful, small claims court.
[

Down to user error?! That’ll be an interesting one. What is user error and how do they prove this?!

Good luck with that, they didn’t want to know about my TV with screen burn / image retention when I phoned them up a few weeks ago. I will try again with the approach of red pixel degradation and see what response that generates. Let us know how you get on with Curry’s.

Down to user error?! That’ll be an interesting one. What is user error and how do they prove this?!

Not sure but Curry's unceremoniously picked the panel up today and expect it back, repaired or not, by this time next week.

Good luck with that, they didn’t want to know about my TV with screen burn / image retention when I phoned them up a few weeks ago. I will try again with the approach of red pixel degradation and see what response that generates. Let us know how you get on with Curry’s.

As far as I can tell Curry's will pick up your panel and test it if it's within warranty, free of charge. Maybe you met an overzealous callcentre operative.

I expect the panel to be returned by late next week, repaired or un-repaired.

If the panel is returned un-repaired then I'll commence plan B, which is CC chargeback.

Basically hours used over number of refresh cycles run. E.g. If you unplug every night it won't run it's cycles and will quickly show signs of pixel wear. We've seen that one before on here.

Good point. When I called Curry's last Sunday the callcentre operative did mention that they'll run an LG software test on the panel. I was lost on the science but he specifically mentioned that the test involved measuring the number of refresh cycles. We never unplugged the TV at night, for what it's worth.

Anyway, I'm still none the wiser until the panel's returned next week.

This whole debacle with OLED burn-in just reinforces my thoughts that this is a technology that is really not fit for purpose in the real world. Plasma TVs are another case in point with image retention. As good as the picture is on OLED panels, that continued background worry that an on-screen dog or banner could hose the panel is just not worth the ball ache.

You do have to be careful with them, perhaps more careful than you should be expected to be, but you don't particularly need to babysit them either. If you went to the shops and forgot to switch off the TV and it was stuck on a still image for 4 hours, so what? It'll clear up after a panel refresh. Not something you'd want to repeatedly do, but even then, as long as it wasn't the same image each time, it wouldn't be noticeable until probably months later, and probably just in a bit of uneven uniformity blotchiness on colour slides, nothing too obvious though. Obviously it's leaving TV channels with the same news tickers or logos on for 4+ hours a day, every day, for months on end that causes the issues, but every person who has taken this to small claims court has won afaik, at least on here.

The simple fact is, if people are watching TV and TV logos/banners "burn in", that's a fault of the technology, not the customer being negligent, so they'll win their case. Retailers just try to bully customers into thinking its through misuse, but as long as you're prepared to spend some time, (possibly a few small fees) to fight, you'll win, and you'll be reimbursed. What might be a grey area is if you had say, a windows desktop burnt into the screen, where retailer could argue that the customer has used their television as a monitor, which are two different things. But who knows, and I'd still expect gaming HUD burn-in and the like to be covered, because the TV has features advertised specifically for using them for gaming.

So while I'm glad JL and the like are providing definitive coverage for screen burn, I don't like the precedent it sets for trying to push the blame for burn-in on the customer, when it was a manufacturer issue in 2015/16 and is still a manufacturer issue in 2020. Current prices at least make it worth doing, but my concern is if/when they change it to a monthly £30-40 cost or something.

Did you claim on the 5 year Currys warranty? I've got some issues with my C7 and I've had terrible dealings with Currys warranty support on the past. I'll never purchase from them again but not sure what to do with this TV.

Did you claim on the 5 year Currys warranty? I've got some issues with my C7 and I've had terrible dealings with Currys warranty support on the past. I'll never purchase from them again but not sure what to do with this TV.

Yes. I'm 2.5 years into 5 year warranty.

I'm making a claim but not certain the claim will be successful. Late next week is the expected delivery date of the return of our panel.

Will keep an eye out for your post.

That vertical band on the right has appeared on mine. Normally you can't see 5% grey but I've noticed I can see the band in dark parts of films.
IMG_20200716_224114.jpg

Edit: it's gone after a refresh cycle, must have been after the big refresh it did as per the poster below.

Last edited:
Not that I know of specifically. Does it do it in the background like the 4 hour refresh?

I have run the manual refres once in the past when I had stuck pixels buy that was ages ago.

Let us know how you get on with Curry’s.

Big day tomorrow as received text this evening from Currys confirming redelivery of the panel is expected tomorrow morning.

One of two things will happen tomorrow, I'll either be happy or, I won't.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom