OLED LG E6 65" Curry's refuse warranty repair:

Interesting post so can any kind soul offer advice to the discernible differences between the q9fn and q8fn.I understand the q9fn is a FALD set and the Q8 Edge lit but what effect on their overall PQ does this have.Noticeable ?

The original Q8 is edge lit, they had a re-think and later released the Q8DN (model may not be exactly correct) that is FALD but has a pathetic number of dimming zones, like 16 iirc, must look that up to confirm - also I remember that it doesn't have the One Connect box thingy. The Q9FN is the only option I'd consider from Samsung in comparison to OLED. With edge-lit, generally you're poor dimming control, light bleed, grey "blacks", etc. It's just not something I'd ever consider for a main TV (well maybe last years Sony XE93 but that's literally the only example).

Last edited:
The original Q8 is edge lit, they had a re-think and later released the Q8DN (model may not be exactly correct) that is FALD but has a pathetic number of dimming zones, like 16 iirc, must look that up to confirm - also I remember that it doesn't have the One Connect box thingy. The Q9FN is the only option I'd consider from Samsung in comparison to OLED. With edge-lit, generally you're poor dimming control, light bleed, grey "blacks", etc. It's just not something I'd ever consider for a main TV (well maybe last years Sony XE93 but that's literally the only example).

Yeah but the B8 is £1600 at the moment and Samsung Q9FN is £2300 cheapest I've seen so better off with the OLED or am I wrong? The 65"

Yeah but the B8 is £1600 at the moment and Samsung Q9FN is £2300 cheapest I've seen so better off with the OLED or am I wrong? The 65"

Some people will never buy another OLED, can't really blame them either after some of the horror stories. Sony XF90 maybe? Which would help save a bit more, I'd easily buy one of them before any Q8.

Some people will never buy another OLED, can't really blame them either after some of the horror stories. Sony XF90 maybe? Which would help save a bit more, I'd easily buy one of them before any Q8.
If I could get/guarantee the uniformity of my 55XE9005(no DSE/banding at all)in a 65/75” I most likely wouldn’t buy another OLED. but I pick up DSE and banding within about 10/20 mins of looking at a screen and every 65/75 lcd screen I have seen has had some sort of DSE or banding, except the 75ZF9 I had for a few days but in a bright room the xwide filter totaly fudges up the tv.

Had a simpler issue, bought a 55inch oled C8 from currys, after two months it developed a stuck pixel to the right of the screen (bright red). Phoned knowhow who I pay my monthly subscription to and they flat out refused to fix the issue claiming LG won't do anything under 5 stuck pixels and they have to central on the screen.

Wasn't happy so I called LG and within 2 weeks I had a engineer come replace my full panel, luckily I was covered under the first years warranty with LG. LG also said what knowhow told me wasn't true at all they will fix any number of stuck pixels regardless where they are on the screen. Avoid knowhow they're cowboys, if you have a problem go direct to LG who have been brilliant I must say!

Don'tKnowHow sounds like an apt name for Knowhow..

He said repair. I never mentioned burn in. Played dumb and just that the TV had dark patches and bands running across the screen. After a factory reset didn't work, he said it needed to go in for repair. I realise they may not fix it but you need to go through the motions. Fully expect to get it back unfixed and then I can take it from there.

@wesbar What happened with your repair please? Did they do it?

Last edited:
Curry's had until the 20th February to agree to a mediation session that they proposed which was scheduled for the 28th February.Well they have ignored the courts and never responded so the mediation session never took place.

So effectively they have eaten into another month of our time and spring is now in the air so a very big well done to their organization for a quite brilliant pincer movement but I guess we can now at least make that final march to county court free of any more encumbrance or restraint. I will update when I hear from the court to receive a date to bring this to a head regardless of outcome.

Shame eternal shame on you Curry's .. In my opinion the dismal Trust-pilot reviews are correct.

Good luck with your claim Taximania, I have been put off purchasing an OLED .

Good luck with your claim Taximania, I have been put off purchasing an OLED .

Which is an extremely cautious stance but I respect your sentiments.

Which is an extremely cautious stance but I respect your sentiments.
Thanks, but don't get me wrong, I think OLED is a fantastic viewing option . However having two young children who constantly pause the TV for toilet breaks and then decide to go play with there LOL doll's for an hour or decide to show me something on the TV by touching the screen with chocolate or sticky sweet fingers (that annoys me). I also tend to watch sky sports news which has the scrolling news feed and the worry of screen burn would be on my mind.

Taximania:

So sorry to hear your problems. I know it doesn't help but I've tried to tell as many people as possible to stay 'well' away from Currys for 15 years. They've never changed and never will. I'm sorry you never caught one of my warnings over the years.

Anyhoo, saw your issues and where you're at and, having been to small claims a few times, I can tell you that them 'not' turning up for mediation will work in your favour 'big' time. Judges hate it when one or the other do not 'try' to resolve without wasting the court's time. In fact, if you look up the CPR rules, it actually states that both parties 'must' make every effort to a) communicate and b) try to resolve it pre-court. So, if I were you, in your Witness Statement for 'the day' and your bundle make sure you include all the effort you went to (with evidence) and how they declined/did not turn up. I have no doubt, at all, you will win. They 'may' even throw in the towel nearer 'the day' because it's actually a lot of work preparing Witness Statement/s, the bundle etc. Both sides also need to 'agree' on the bundle...but they can't make you change your WS.

The first time I did it it was very daunting. Once you've done it once you'll have a template if you need to do it again. Big companies always chance their arm....after all it's nothing to them but they know what a drain it is on the average person without an entire legal department etc!

All the very best, Dave:)

Taximania:

So sorry to hear your problems. I know it doesn't help but I've tried to tell as many people as possible to stay 'well' away from Currys for 15 years. They've never changed and never will. I'm sorry you never caught one of my warnings over the years.

Anyhoo, saw your issues and where you're at and, having been to small claims a few times, I can tell you that them 'not' turning up for mediation will work in your favour 'big' time. Judges hate it when one or the other do not 'try' to resolve without wasting the court's time. In fact, if you look up the CPR rules, it actually states that both parties 'must' make every effort to a) communicate and b) try to resolve it pre-court. So, if I were you, in your Witness Statement for 'the day' and your bundle make sure you include all the effort you went to (with evidence) and how they declined/did not turn up. I have no doubt, at all, you will win. They 'may' even throw in the towel nearer 'the day' because it's actually a lot of work preparing Witness Statement/s, the bundle etc. Both sides also need to 'agree' on the bundle...but they can't make you change your WS.

The first time I did it it was very daunting. Once you've done it once you'll have a template if you need to do it again. Big companies always chance their arm....after all it's nothing to them but they know what a drain it is on the average person without an entire legal department etc!

All the very best, Dave:)

Thank you for your kind words.The mediation team have said they will now forward my case on to the court for action and this may take up to ten working days.Originally when we forwarded the details of our complaint they responded back with their defence refuting our claims. At the same time they said they were willing to engage in mediation which was arranged and then ignored.

Last edited:
Been following this with great interest. I have a LG OLED65B6V made Aug 2016 (on label on back) purchased from richer sounds end Dec 2016.
A week ago this strange shape appeared.
Called richer sounds and asked to send images. RS very good on phone and quickly came back saying they need to send an engineer to inspect and made me aware if this was not a fault I would need to pay for repairs.
I was contacted by local engineer and sent photos to them straight away said that's not screen burn. They also said RC are really tightening their stance on screen burn. I knew not covered under warranty.
Engineer came out took photos and said it's a fault in the panel as soon as he saw it. Report sent by them to Richer Sounds on Friday afternoon.
Service been good although it's fairly clear this is not screen burn but suppose they have.to check not been damaged by us.
Do you think Richer Sounds will repair or replace?
Cost new £2700 new current B8 is about £1,700
And if I can replace would it be worth the extra £500 going to C8. ?
I do hope Currys are brought to justice. I do not buy anything from them following service issues. I think they will lose in court. Let us know and stick to your guns.

Attachments

• 20190324_091105.jpg
    20190324_091105.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 223
  • 20190324_091239.jpg
    20190324_091239.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 220
Thank you for your kind words.The mediation team have said they will now forward my case on to the court for action and this may take up to ten working days.Originally when we forwarded the details of our complaint they responded back with their defence refuting our claims. At the same time they said they were willing to engage in mediation which was arranged and then ignored.

What is the witness statement and bundle you mention. I have written down our reply to defense concerning all of their rebuttals and I have this to hand. At what point will I submit answers to their defence and all my associated evidence. Do I submit this online so the judge has all the relevant info pre-trial or do I just take this along on the day.

Thanks again: Appreciated:

Thank you for educating everybody on your journey to resolution. Do you have any updates?

As anticipated they have not met the courts deadline to reply to the N180 so will now be given a small window to respond or their defence may be struck off.

In the meantime we are keeping up the Dunkirk spirit

8dS9kaW.gif

Been following this with great interest. I have a LG OLED65B6V made Aug 2016 (on label on back) purchased from richer sounds end Dec 2016.
A week ago this strange shape appeared.
Called richer sounds and asked to send images. RS very good on phone and quickly came back saying they need to send an engineer to inspect and made me aware if this was not a fault I would need to pay for repairs.
I was contacted by local engineer and sent photos to them straight away said that's not screen burn. They also said RC are really tightening their stance on screen burn. I knew not covered under warranty.
Engineer came out took photos and said it's a fault in the panel as soon as he saw it. Report sent by them to Richer Sounds on Friday afternoon.
Service been good although it's fairly clear this is not screen burn but suppose they have.to check not been damaged by us.
Do you think Richer Sounds will repair or replace?
Cost new £2700 new current B8 is about £1,700
And if I can replace would it be worth the extra £500 going to C8. ?
I do hope Currys are brought to justice. I do not buy anything from them following service issues. I think they will lose in court. Let us know and stick to your guns.

So how did you go on mate ?

Best of luck with the court process Taximania - I have been following this thread since day one, hope you get the right result! Let us know when you get an outcome!

Best of luck with the court process Taximania - I have been following this thread since day one, hope you get the right result! Let us know when you get an outcome!

Thanks mate and I will keep the board fully informed of all eventualities down to the minutest of detail. I will upload all court information from our original claim and their responses and all answers to their defense and the general procedures of attending on the day and what it entails.

What I have learned is that Curry,s have an uncanny knack of stretching out the proceedings to the max as we now head into month four but I guess that's their prerogative. Maybe they have many other cases to deal with and so time for them is at a restraint.

I feel my case is sufficiently strong enough to secure a result of sorts and so thanks for the help from this forum and from all it's knowledgeable members and staff. There is one issue which could cause us consternation but that can easily be overcome if and when it transpires. And if we should lose as nothing is certain in life save for death and taxes then I will sleep soundly in my bed knowing I did all to protect the fiscal purse from retailers of the third kind. One thing I do know is that we wouldn't even buy so much as a plug from them in the future and that's from consumers that have used their brand for decades. Loyalty counts for nothing.

Ok, an update on my OLED strange screen mark.
Engineer came out and right away said faulty panel.
Reported back to RS
Richer sounds then agreed it would be covered under warranty. A1TVs based in Dalkieth, midlothian sent cost of new OLED screen to Richer Sounds. I think around £1k. Plus fitting
Richer sounds then told them to proceed wuth repair and TV was picked up Thursday night and delivered back today, Friday. (Next day)
The whole process has taken nearly 2 weeks to resolve and I must say Richer Sounds and their repair company A1TVS have been extremely good. They have been very professional. So a happy ending. I saw some YouTube videos showing oled screen replacement and it's a out 20 min job. But it's the whole panel inc glass.
I am not sure yet if the panel will be a 2016 panel or a 2017 panel and if any difference.
I will report back once run in.

Any movement Taxi?

A lot of people sending you best wishes here.
Also a lot of people will be opening similar cases with other retailers going by recent posts on some threads.

Thanks Bill and as duly expected they must have replied at the eleventh hour for return of the N180 documents because the case has just been assigned to track at our local county court and we will be given case management directions shortly. As you can see Curry's have managed to drag out the directions questionnaire through a six week window and as previously suggested must be working through all litigation on a final deadline basis. As mentioned we do have an Achilles heel that could possibly cause some consternation but that will be for the Judge to asses on merit and besides we have dug defensive trenches. Really hope we can pull of a result and wish I could highlight our case in more detail for the board but for now it would be prudent to keep our powder dry. One thing is sure in both of our minds eye that we will not rest and will do our utmost to procreate our claim to satisfaction as £3250 is an awful lot of money to piss away on LG Tat.

All the best ..Taxi

Last edited:
Thanks Bill and as duly expected they must have replied at the eleventh hour for return of the N180 documents because the case has just been assigned to track at our local county court and we will be given case management directions shortly. As you can see Curry's have managed to drag out the directions questionnaire through a six week window and as previously suggested must be working through all litigation on a final deadline basis. As mentioned we do have an Achilles heel that could possibly cause some consternation but that will be for the Judge to asses on merit and besides we have dug defensive trenches. Really hope we can pull of a result and wish I could highlight our case in more detail for the board but for now it would be prudent to keep our powder dry. One thing is sure in both of our minds eye that we will not rest and will do our utmost to procreate our claim to satisfaction as £3250 is an awful lot of money to piss away on LG Tat.

All the best ..Taxi
I will be amazed if it gets to court, most likely is the offer of a free repair/replacement or refund the day before or the day of the hearing

I really can’t see how you won’t win. At the end of the day if the product is so fragile that they have to put in safeguards and preventative measures which are outside of the control of joe public then those safety measures have failed as far as I’m concerned.

It’s not as if anything pops up on the the TV to remind you it’s correction time which you ignored/overrode so quoting a figure back to justify that it has been incorrectly used or abused is just pure nonsense and I hope that the judge sees and recognises this quickly.

I really can’t see how you won’t win. At the end of the day if the product is so fragile that they have to put in safeguards and preventative measures which are outside of the control of joe public then those safety measures have failed as far as I’m concerned. It’s not as if anything pops up on the the TV to remind you it’s correction time which you ignored/overrode so quoting a figure back to justify that it has been incorrectly used or abused is just pure nonsense and I hope that the judge sees and recognizes this quickly.

Hello mate and thanks for your words of reassurance. We have now completed our bundle coming in at a hefty seventy six pages so have been nothing short of meticulous with our planning and detail. The case will be heard in August and we have just payed our final court fees. All we have to do now is send our bundle to the county and send a copy bundle to DSG Retail 14 days before the hearing takes place.

The manual for the new E9 on page 15 incorporates seventy one lines of information for the end user drawing attention to screen burn issues and preventative measures. It details how the OLED model functions to prevent this defect/anomaly even going on to mention compensation cycles and how they affect the set and never to unplug it from the wall. Does anyone go around the home and unplug everything before bedtime ?

In comparison our E6 manual on page 7 carries just three lines of inadequate advice on screen burn so go figure. The pop up warnings you mention have now been incorporated into the E9 TV set and also it's safety booklet so small baby steps.

Anyone wishing to peruse the two owner manuals then click on the links below because from a safety standpoint they are different as chalk and cheese. Thanks for listening and we will keep you informed.

LG Manuals | LG U.K.

LG Manuals | LG U.K.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom