OLED LG E6 65" Curry's refuse warranty repair:

Discussion in 'OLED TVs Forum' started by Taximania, Nov 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Taximania

Taximania
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Greetings and salutations to all board members and it's been a while since I last posted although I have remained a continuous lurker.I am in real need of some advice please regarding my OLED TV.It was built in March 2017 and sold to us by Currys in April 2017 and all was well until last week.We noticed a thin felt pen size horizontal line running five inches up from the bottom of the screen.We tried the usual fixes of a factory reset changing the leads source material picture test but all to no avail so we rang Curry's know-how team.They said it was a fault and took it for repair.They advised us today that it's screen burn and not covered under there 5 year free warranty.The gentleman on the phone said it has screen burn caused by the sun shining through our windows but I was under the impression screen burn is from leaving images static for long periods.They said they will return it tomorrow for us.I rang back an hour later to request a copy of their engineers report as the information tendered had been sketchy to say the least.They advised it would be with the TV and all they had in front of them was screen burn and the words "compensation 14.68".I am at a loss for a £3500 TV to only last us 18 months of normal usage for films and Sky Q.We are both coming up to the big 60 and always respect our belongings and merchandise.We never pause images for long periods and tend to watch a variety of different channels so the screen has a diversity of input.Below is a few shots of the line for your kind appraisal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Should I get an independent engineer report and if the report comes back as screen burn what are my options.Surely the sales of goods act say that an expensive TV should fare better than this ?
    I could not have loved and cared more for our set if I tried.

2. GaryPL

GaryPL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Wait for the report. If it's consistent with what's been said verbally, I would challenge Currys' assessment. Sunshine will not be a perfectly horizontal like that on account of this being a near physically impossible phenomenon - unless of course you live in a huge field and the sunlight is hitting your TV in that exact position at sunrise or sunset (as after this, sun shines downwards), and your curtains are perfectly straight and with a few millimetres gap at the bottom. Just not going to happen.

If they change their mind on the cause but still state that it is burn-in, challenge them to identify a source material that would have content that is static for any length of time and in that position.

I think the more likely cause is the gubbins at the back getting hot... Have seen this on here a couple of times.

After giving enough time, threaten them with legal recourse. Remember, the onus is on them to prove that you are not entitled to a warranty claim - not for you to prove that you are.

3. Taximania

Taximania
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for the reply and in fairness I can only imagine the lad got himself muddled as to what screen burn actually is. First job is to get our TV back tomorrow and ensure it's in the same condition it left for evaluation. Then acquire a copy of their engineers report which I hope they will furnish without delay.And then I guess source an independent engineer at my own cost to ascertain if the two reports marry up.Absolutely gutted at the moment but hope someone on here can give opinions of screen burn at only 18 months usage.Here are another two pictures and not sure it even takes on the appearance of screen burn.And what in the blue blazes is compensation 14.68 all about ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. GaryPL

GaryPL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Don't bother with your own engineer report yet. You can probably talk some reasoning into them without it.

5. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Mate stick to your guns with them ask them to prove to you that it’s screen burn , because I can tell you now that’s not screen burn, that looks like the tv has fudgeed up some of it’s compensation cycles did you try a manual cycle before you sent it away?

6. mad steve

mad steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +778
    If it's burn in, you will sadly be left out to dry so to speak. I really hope they sort it tho.. But from my experience they won't unless you take them to the small claims court.. Were you advise of the risk of burn at point of purchase ?

7. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Mate it’s not burn in, there is no content I have ever seen that would leave a line like that and nothing else on the screen, it has to be something funky going on with the compensation cycles, which is a fault with the screen. look at the picture of the red top there is no change in colour above or below the line and that’s the colour on the 2016 panels that goes first.

8. Taximania

Taximania
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    We were just discussing this Steve.They offered no input regarding screen burns and went as far as to assure us both we were spending our money wisely on a high end quality product. There was nothing on the box warning of issues and we have only used the TV like normal consumers should do.We have occasionally paused the set to make a cup of tea and also take a call of nature by using the remote they supplied to us.It has a pause button for this function. We are talking minutes every now and again and not something that should ever cause an issue.We have done nothing wrong.This is all based on the assumption it is screen burn.The only way to investigate further is to have an independent engineers report unless I can persuade customer services to repair the set.

9. Taximania

Taximania
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thank you so much @woppy101 and confirms our suspicions. I have never seen a screen burn denoted as a single line.Only seems to show up on reds pinks yellows orange etc.The only thing we physically did was to carry out a factory reset and change the leads.How do we accomplish a manual cycle.Is this the pixel refresh ?

10. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    When you switch it off, do you turn it off at the wall or put it into stand by? Also did you run a manual compensation cycle?

11. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Yes mate pixel refresh

12. Taximania

Taximania
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Just pressing the off button on the remote which I believe puts it into standby mode.No we didn't run a manual compensation cycle.Is this something the knowhow team will have tried first ?

13. woppy101

woppy101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,325
    Probably not, when you get it back try running a pixel refresh

14. Taximania

Taximania
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    @woppy101 they also mentioned on the phone "compensation 14.68" but the agent had no idea what it meant ?

15. sammiesung

sammiesung

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Does the line run the whole length of the screen?

16. AndyRg4

AndyRg4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Whilst I agree that this does not look like screen burn in the traditional sense and that the service thus far has been pretty poor, I must correct the statement about the onus being on them to prove that there is a fault.

Within 6 months of purchase it is the retailers responsibility to prove that there isn't a fault. After 6 months it is the customers responsibilty to prove that there is a fault. Granted most retailers assist with this with an inspection etc but if you disagree with the report, then it is your responsibility to get an indepentant inspection (initially at your own expense). Should the report find in your favour, then the retailer must repair/replace or refund on a pro rata basis and reimburse any costs accrued by the independant inspection

17. furryhobnob

furryhobnob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,958
    As above when you get it back do a pixel refresh, it takes about an hour to do but if it is burn from the sun the pixel refresh normally clears it, there's been a few others on various oled owners thread who's tv's have been in direct sunlight coming through their window and casting a shadow of their sofa etc onto the panel, also which picture presets do you use as your colours look way off on the photos, using vivid or dynamic mode won't be helping if it is actually screen burn

18. GaryPL

GaryPL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    I didn't say he should never go and get an inspection but your account is a little simplistic. Now definitely isn't the right time for commissioning an inspection.

The law you're alluding to is the Consumer Rights Act 2015 which is what offers consumers protection with purchases. The seller is who they have the agreement with. Some sellers will offer the warranty through a third party which can mean that you actually have two products and two contracts. But beyond that, for a company not to honour their part of an agreement, they have to give you reasons that are at least cogent. The onus is on them to prove (or justify for want of a better word) why they aren't giving you access to the benefits of their product, which in this case is based on an exclusion within the terms and conditions. This is going beyond the 2015 Act that I mentioned above.

Terms and conditions have to be fair, clear, etc. But as a consumer, you still have to abide by the company's agreement with you. Going out at this stage, and paying for an inspection, is daft. He will need to follow internal complaints procedures etc next. Curry's would have a pretty strong case for not refunding the inspection cost without exhausting these means first. And I would only be going for an independent inspection if it became necessary for a small claims court case. And even then, you need to be careful as there's quite a lot of guidance about expert witnesses.

Simple rules - don't spend your own money until you absolutely have to. And spend it carefully when you do.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    I would wait for their engineers' report, then negotiate with them, then if necessary take them to the small claims court - straightforward these days and minimal cost risks even if you were to lose, plus no need to hire a solicitor to represent you.

In my view a £3.5k TV should last far longer than 18 months and there's no plausible way a line like that would appear through screen burn or sun reflections.

Note that because it's more than 6 months after sale the burden of proof (on a "balance of probability" scale) will be on you to prove the defect was present at sale, so an engineer report (plus photos of your lounge to rebut the sun reflection inference) will be essential if it actually gets to a hearing (it likely won't) and you can ask for some or all of your costs in bringing the claim to be refunded when you win, plus you can claim some interest.

You're probably not entitled to a refund, only the cost of a repair (if it can be repaired) or the cost of buying an equivalent 18 month old TV (if a repair isn't possible).

Also note that if you paid by credit card (or debit card) you can complain to the credit card (or in some cases, the debit card) issuer and they can potentially force a refund on your behalf.

Good luck! I would be very annoyed if this happened to me.

This is a good guide and a good place to get more advice: Small Claims Court

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  20. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    The CPR rules on expert witnesses are mostly ignored for the small claims track.

As for getting your own report done at an early stage vs issuing a claim first, both cost money and both might persuade Currys that you're serious in which case they'll likely roll over. Either option seems viable to me.

21. Jrasf

Jrasf
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could be screen burn in.I have very similar burning in line on my 55'' B6. Also on red.

On my case it's the YouTube red progress bar from videos. I did used to fall asleep a bit with it on and I run the oled light really high. After about 12 to 18 months I got that pattern.

22. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,885
    Did Currys warn you of screen burn and how to avoid it? Did Currys warn you of the effect of sunshine of the screen even when the TV was off?
    These might be useful
    Answered - LG OLED65B6V burn in caused by YouTube app

Have a look for the posts by MickyV who won a case against LG re screen burn especially post #392. https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg-e6-screen-burn-issue.2100003/page-10#post-25948881
    Different to your situation as it involved the LG 12 month manufacturer warranty but may still be applicable
    Just been to court, got full refund plus court costs.
    Might not help others but ruling was as I told retailer my vewing habits & they said no problem, it was not fit for my purpose.
    Week before hearing they offered to fix or replace with simular but I refused.

I'd suggest that just mentioning Small Claims Court to Currys should be the route to take well before thinking of getting an expert witness. Recorded delivery letter stating that if they don't rectify matters to your satisfaction within 21 days you will be left with no option but to initiate a small claims action.

If they don't then fold, serve the action on them. Only then if they don't fold and it's certain you will have to have your day in court should you consider getting an expert report. Although there is also the expected 5 or 6 year lifespan of a TV which can be used along with the Fit for Purpose and Of Merchantable Quality routes instead. The cost for a small claims court action is way cheaper than that for an expert report.

23. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
    I agree with you on this apart from I do think a TV certainly of this price should correctly function for considerably longer than 6 years. Whilst from a technology point of view TVs have certainly moved on and will continue to move on that's not the issue here.

With the age of this TV being approx 18 months old then there is simply no excuse for it to fail during this time, regardless of what the manufacturer puts about screen burn.

24. jimster99

jimster99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Well:

Court issue fee £205, court allocation fee £40 plus hearing fee £335 = total £575.
    I'd be surprised if you couldn't find a TV engineer willing to write a report for something in that range.

25. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
    If you via Money Claims Online then it's £185 the additional hearing fee is payable if they defend the case and not settle before. £40 ? do you mean an application to register judgement ?

26. Soulo

Soulo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Have you spoken to LG directly? I reckon it's worth a try.

27. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
    There is that but unless the TV comes with a longer manufacturers warranty than 12 months LG doesn't have to do diddly squat ... :(

28. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,387
    Additionally, before starting court proceedings the recommendation is that you build your case. There is some good advise here

Small Claims Court

You should be sure that you have a good chance of winning and in this situation I’d say that means getting an independent report.

As it stands at the moment the case would be

Currys: a report saying it is screen burn, and documentation confirming screen burn is not covered by warranty.

versus

OP: some guys who have not seen the TV on a forum called AVForums said that it isn’t screen burn

The OP needs to have good evidence that it isn’t screen burn before embarking on legal action.

I think the reason Small Court Claim gets bandied around so much is that (a) once raised the defendent might be inclined to give up the fight there and then and (b) it is commonly thought that it only costs £25 to start the ball rolling

Cheers,

Nigel

29. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,196
    Whilst I don't disagree with your post, a warranty is something in addition to your legal rights under the Consumer Rights Act 2015. They may well try and void the manufacturer's warranty on the basis of "screen burn" but Curry's cannot excuse them from the CRA and fit for purpose or of satisfactory quality.

Depending on what the initial report states it might well be worth getting an independent one.

As has been asked earlier, how did you pay for the TV?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  30. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,387
    Agreed it is important to see what the actual report says, but I’m expecting it to say screen burn because that is what the OP has been told over the phone.

Now that may be an incorrect diagnosis, but as it stands it is the only diagnosis and is in the form of a formal report possibly from an organisation idependent of Currys (although they may well be business partners).

And right or wrong, screen burn is recognised as customer fault damage (no matter how accidental, no matter unaware the customer is) and the CRA won’t overturn that.

Now I agree with the conclusions expressed here - I don’t think it is screen burn. However, the only formal analysis on the table says ‘screen burn’ so if the OP wants to take legal action he needs to cone up with evidence that the analysis done by Currys is incorrect.

Cheers,

Nigel