OLED LG B7 2 DEAD!!

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by GixerBen, Dec 3, 2017.

1. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Guys

I need some advice, I have been a long time owner of two Panasonic VT20's loved the picture of the plasma and had been holding out until I was ready to take the leap into OLED tech.

Long story short, I purchased a 55 B7 LG OLED, great picture and operating system, happy days ...

It lasted 14 days!! working fine the evening before, following morning switched it on a the button, flash of red across the screen and shut down..

The store replaced it with a new item, fingers crossed all ok, once again great picture and user interface and once again 11 days later, the missus went to switch it on whilst I has washing the car and once again the screen looks like northern lights, patchy colour no picture what so ever!!

TV is feed via a brand new Onkyo amp and sky Q..

I have contacted the store and they are shocked, although not as much as me!!

TV is wall mounted and has not been touch since it was hung on replacement.

My questions are...

has anybody else had issue like this?

And I'm really tempted to go back to Panasonic and purchase their OLED set, my confidence in lg wasn't that high to start with and this has just proved my point.

Any advice, comments, always welcome

2. chief barker

chief barker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    Bad luck I guess.

However if I were in your situation (having owned 3 Panasonics without any issues) I'd be tempted to have the LG swapped to a panasonic, but the screens they use are LG's panels - Panasonic use their own boards though.

3. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    that was my thinking, my plasma Panasonics have served well, with only the odd one having issues with the pinky red corner issue which seems to be very common, but after 10 years I can live with it, but best part of 2K and two weeks doesn't sit right with me.

I'm starting to question whether it something I'm doing, to make the set go faulty?

The shop I purchased from is out of stock on both Panasonic and LG sets so will be without a replacement for a while.

4. oldjr

oldjr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I have had 3 55b7 with the very same problem since July.After the 3rd I decided to go with Panasonic ez952.Had it for a month now and hoping this one is a stayer because I prefer the picture to the b7.where did you get your TV from I got mine from Richer sounds and they have been very good about changing over they also said they had never seen the fault before.Good luck

5. chief barker

chief barker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +740
    I don't think you are doing anything wrong to make the sets develop a fault, it's just LG's poor components. My neighbor has had nothing but problems with her LG, I've been called into her house on several occasions when it has developed a fault.

6. jones123

jones123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    One set yes can go wrong. 2sets unlikely. I would check if there are any power surges causing it. It even a short on the cable between the amp and the tv. Just to be sure.

Lg set is better than Panasonic proven on av forums blind test.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  7. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    how do you check for power surges? The HDMI lead is brand new and it has been working fine for both Xbox and Sky Q.

Surely the set would have a safe guard against voltage issues?

8. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I purchased it from Hughes, they have been ok with dealings but I just want a set that works and restores my faith..

Was your wall hung on stand? I just questioning everything at present trying to understand why they are going south..

9. oldjr

oldjr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mine were all on the stand but like you going through sky q and amp (Sony)

10. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    did RS ever come back to you if what the issue was?

11. oldjr

oldjr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No I did ask them if they found out would they let me know but not heard

12. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I think I will push for a Panasonic replacement, I can't be dealing with going over the same issues week in week out.

I have seen a few other people having the same issues with this set, surprising in this day and day with quality standards and the like.

I must say the build quality against my old Panasonic is shocking the thing is as thin as a cigarette paper and feel is, dare I say it.. cheap

13. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    As Dolly Parton is reputed to have said it takes a lot of money to look as cheap as this.... There i s a lot of truth in that as it costs a lot to make the screens as thin as your model is. ...
    I have had two LG lcd TVs, one from 2006 or so , it still works if i were to bother putting it on. The second from 2012 or so also behaving fine. Never a problem with either .

I would be concerned that you have a electrical mains problem . LG did not get to be one of the major global plAyers by making shoddy goods. The faults as described sound like defective power supply related or a voltage surge coming via some other path. My fear would be that a new Panasonic or other make would produce the same problem. What ancillary kit if any is connected .. skyboxes , audio amplifiers preamps , network cables .
    It would be worthwhile thinking over all the changes which took place when you got the new tv .
    Were the carpets changed recently to ones producing more static? , is the earth connection solid on all the kit ?

14. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have changed the amp from a non 4K amp to one that supports the format and new cables also to carry the new format,

It’s funny you mention carpets as I have had new carpets, but are you telling me that a static charge from switching the set on would render it useless?

I have been using my Panasonic plasmas during the same period with no issues. And my kids switch both on at an alarming rate and never use the LG as the Xbox is connected to the “old” TV.

If LG is that fragile then it is of no use in a family environment and I will seek a refund, odd that a chap on this thread has had similar issues and had his replaced 3 times..

Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great TV but it doesn’t work. Typing this as watching my plasma Panasonic while my feet enjoy my new carpets

15. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I'd have to agree with you on Panasonic reliability, have had two Panasonic plasmas in the last 12 years, and the pv500 I bought is still going strong at my in-laws, and the vt30 I bought 5 years ago have is used everyday and touch wood, hasn't missed a beat !

16. oldjr

oldjr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My TV sky q amp DVD player all go into a Tacima extension surge protector I have had plasma and led and nothing like this has ever happened before

17. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    .. could the 4k amplifier be the problem. ? . What I was doing was suggesting certain possibilities not certainties. I once had a sky box which would work fine for a while .. weeks on end , until it wouldn't. The solution was always to disconnect the Ariel lead , short the braid to the inner core and it would be as right as rain. What people must realise is that all electronics, with the exception of vacuum tubes are very voltage sensitive. . Modern chips with mosfets are even more sensitive than earlier transistors. A voltage of as low as 20v, in the wrong place can blow chips . Modern designers have to work with this limitation, and protect the innards.

Except for your experience and your other poster, there is no suspicion that these tv sets are susceptible. .. if they were would there not be wholesale postings all over the western world. ? It only took some 7 of the Samsung Note phones to fail for there to be a global recall. The OLED panel and tv is LGs ticket to the big time, so would not their competitors be ready to pounce if they had cause.?

18. choddo

choddo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +473
    If you do get the Panasonic, you’ll find the rear casing feels cheap too. Frame is nicer imho though.

And the “evidence” of the blind test is nothing more than the opinions of the people in the room. I think most people would find the picture pretty similar on both once calibrated, with the Panny better out of the box.

Do read the 952 thread in the panasonic folder. There’s an issue with stutter on 50Hz material. Movies or Tv stuff shot at 24/25fps then frame doubled to 50 confuses it sometimes. Some shows are quite badly affected. Sport, shot at 50fps, is fine. You can work around it with game mode, which cures it and doesn’t seem to affect the image. Panasonic seem to be testing a fix but it hasn’t materialised yet.

I assume when people turn your screen on, it’s from standby, you’re not cutting the power?

19. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Correct, I either hit the button on the remote or use the centre switch on the set.

I appreciate all the comments and views, I’m still struggling to understand why it is happening.

Surely it’s ok to leave it on standby? It’s only had limited use, due to being new and only really on a evenings and weekends

20. oldjr

oldjr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am the same love to know what causes it to happen if it happens on the panasonic I don't know what to do go back to led perhaps have you decided what to do yet about a replacement

21. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have contacted the store and they are sending a guy around tomorrow to take a look and confirm the fault.

I regards to a replacement they have no stock of either LG or Panasonic OLED sets so very little options at this moment in time.

They do have the Sony OLED but it’s £2800!!!

22. oldjr

oldjr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi would you please post as to there findings would be very interested thanks

23. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +730
    Your HDMI lead isn't going to kill the TV and your amp has circuitry to detect and turn itself off if there's an issue.
    You're not tied to Hughes, you could get a refund and buy from somewhere with stock of either model.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  24. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This was my thinking, it’s the only input I have connected to the TV. I don’t have an aerial and everything is switched via my Onkyo receiver.

I will see what deal I can get in store tomorrow and then make my decision from there.

My local richer Sounds have stock so my well call in.

25. dannnielll

dannnielll

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +557
    .. just a random thought.. what actually is your mains voltage?. Not what is it supposed to be, but what is it when measured.

26. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Unsure to be honest, I had an electrician in over the summer to connect my hot tub and he detected no issue with phase or voltage in the property.

27. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +550
    Isn't just two failures bit early to put down to anything other than bad luck?

One failure and the second set fine.........no issue
    Two failures and the third set fine........just coincidence
    Three failures.........points to other issues

It's impossible to come to any conclusion with just two similar failures. No pattern can emerge until at least three similar failures.

So i'd at least try a third set.

PS
    I was a Panasonic man for a long time. Their was just something about their TV's that did it for me.
    But that was at a time they were making their own TV's. These are now just basically re-branded LG's. I know there are some cosmetic/processing differences, but the omission of DV means you will be missing an important feature for future content.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  28. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks Paul, that was also the biggest issue I had when making the decision on which one to go for.

The LG is a feature packed set and I do like it but these issues are of concern.

And as you state, clearly a rebranded unit as LG seem to surply the world with OLED panels

29. oldjr

oldjr
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did post in September on the lg thread and got a reply that the same thing happened to him and he replaced it and the second one was ok.Since then there has been one other with the same problem. I did have one thought I had my sky q box directly under the TV and they do get quite warm since changing to the panasonic I moved the box into the cabinet could this have caused problems

30. GixerBen

GixerBen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    nothing under my set, my kit is in a rack to the side of the set, it is above my wood burner but it is very rarely on, plus I have monitored the heat above the fireplace as it has a rather large mantel to protect from heat.

As far as the set goes I have gone for the Sony, great looking set and will look forward to it arrival tomorrow..

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017